• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Haven't Played Zelda Since "Link to the Past" But Want To Try BOTW

So as some of you know I'm going for a hard time right now.

Anyways, I'm looking for a fun game that has exploration. I heard Breath of the Wild it's one of the best open world games.

I haven't played a Zelda game since the old SNES days so I would be jumping into unless after that. I've always liked the series anyways. I have fond memories of the original game.

How would you compare BOTW to games like Skyrim or other open world games?

GladiusFrog

BOTW isn't like Skyrim, Its way more fun to explore then a Bethesda title imo.

BOTW encourages you to experiment with the gameplay mechanics that are often physics based, and other clever and logical puzzles/mechanics.

Its a open world adventure like none other, It nails the sense of wonder and mystery of a strange land.

Do yourself a favor and play BOTW, Its incredible.

img_hint_2.jpg

Last edited:
One of a handful of open world games that actually justifies being open world. Antithesis of the garbage open world format that Ubisoft has popularized.

BOTW isn't like Skyrim, Its way more fun to explore then a Bethesda title imo.

BOTW encourages you to experiment with the gameplay mechanics that are often physics based, and other clever and logical puzzles/mechanics.

Its a open world adventure like none other, It nails the sense of wonder and mystery of a strange land.

Do yourself a favor and play BOTW, Its incredible.

I found it to be one of the most memorable open world games despite it looking worse technically than last and current gen games on other consoles. Literally the only reason I’m holding onto my Switch right now is due to the sequel.
That is awesome to hear. Now I want to run out and buy the game.

I would get it on Amazon but for some reason they don't seem to sell American Switch games. I remember hearing there's a reason for that otherwise I would think about ordering it from there.

Anyways, I'm looking for a fun game that has exploration. I heard Breath of the Wild it's one of the best open world games.

I haven't played a Zelda game since the old SNES days so I would be jumping into unless after that. I've always liked the series anyways. I have fond memories of the original game.

BOTW's world blows Skyrim away

The only game that is comparable is Elden Ring in terms of that sense of discovery/wonder.

Just don't go into BOTW thinking you're getting an amazing traditional Zelda game, because while the exploration is incredible and makes the entire game, the dungeons and bosses are a big disappointment.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If you don't go in expecting a traditional Zelda experience, you'll have an absolute blast (the "dungeons" are quite shite). Can't wait for the sequel!
Just finished playing Skyward Sword and while the ship and the last dungeon are probably above anything on BOTW, I like way more the BOTW dungeons because of how free and non-linear they are... They looking the same and the fact that you do the same on each is shit though, but the way you can do everything at your own pace and how you can experiment doing stuff with physics with no fixed way to solve puzzles is superb! I'm taking about the beasts btw, i liked the shrinks too though, more than most Skyward Sword dungeons, which tends to be the most acclaimed in that regard

PSX2007

Neo Member
I've played and finished and enjoyed most games in the Zelda series. I couldn't get past what I found to be the super frustrating weapons system (where weapons constantly break). I found the hoopla about it being the first Zelda game with VO overblown since very little of the game has VO (most of it is subtitled). And I found the game aimless, though I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of open-world games (God of War was the perfect amount of open world for me). So, needless to say, I wasn't a fan. And I've found some others who agree on these points. But I'm definitely in the minority. It is a gorgeous game, though.

It's better than skyrim. Bigger, less buggy, less copy pasta, more polished, better combat.

I definitely think of it as one of those games where you go off and explore whichever way you like and usually find something interesting to do there

Moses85

Honest questions.

How is this possible? If you like the series? You missed OoT, MM, TP which are absolute top notch.
How old are you?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

If you like exploring mostly empty worlds, fighting the same enemies with weapons that break within a couple of minutes, doing simple puzzles to gain useless seeds, if you dislike story-telling and rewarding dungeon exploration but enjoy wasting time rummaging for food and elusive horses, well, then this is the game for you!

My advice: play The Wind Waker instead. That game is much more focused, doesn't waste your time and has actually good game play

supernova8

Banned
If you like exploring mostly empty worlds, fighting the same enemies with weapons that break within a couple of minutes, doing simple puzzles to gain useless seeds, if you dislike story-telling and rewarding dungeon exploration but enjoy wasting time rummaging for food and elusive horses, well, then this is the game for you!

My advice: play The Wind Waker instead. That game is much more focused, doesn't waste your time and has actually good game play

True if you want a more "traditional" modern-ish Zelda experience but still pseudo-open world-ish (love the Ocean theme) then Wind Waker is fantastic.
By the way what did you think of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword? I'll be honest I skipped both because I didn't like the art style at all (I know, petty reason but it is what it is).

On BOTW, I actually think it's one where you can potentially hate it the first time you play it and then it can "click". That's what happened with me. I bought it the first time around, thought it was dumb with empty worlds and breaking weapons, sold the damn thing (along with my Switch). Bought an OLED about 6 months back, bought BOTW again (still being sold at almost the same price as 2017 lol fucking Nintendo bastards) and instantly fell in love with it.

On my second attempt, I've come to appreciate the empty fields etc. I find them therapeutic and relaxing (partly thanks to the awesome ambient noise work). Plus, I like that the designers didn't feel like they had to cram every last inch with "stuff". I imagine that's what the world would be like "back then" with pockets of life surrounded by fields of nothing but wildlife and monsters roaming about (yeah I know it's totally fictional).

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I loved BOTW but it does have its issues.

Most have been mentioned already. Lack of enemy variety is one and lack of meaningful rewards for exploration is another.

The latter isnt a big deal to me as the world was so cool and beautiful exploration was its own reward. Enemy variety did bug me.

Breakable weapons werent really a big deal to me.

Awesome game definitely give it a try.

The physics are amazing and the mystery of the world is the best you’ll find in games. I appreciate a lot about it, especially the courage in pushing such a big IP in a new direction. But it’s… not fun.

Cyborg

If you waited this long just wait for Switch 2 and the update for the original. Knowing Nintendo they will do that and also (highly) make you pay for it.

nkarafo

It's a great open world game, but there's no excuse for that nonsensical weapon durability system. No matter what they tried to achieve with it, it's not worth it. This will get in your way at all times, through the whole game.

A few other things i didn't like:

- There's no memorable music other then the Hyrule Castle theme.
- Only a few same themed "main" dungeons and a ton of same themed small shrines (mini dungeons sort of). So basically, only 2 themes for dungeons in the whole game.
- Too many little distractions for little to no rewards after a while. Not a good game if you have OCD.
- A lot of armor sets to experiment, with some being almost necessary depending on the context, but no fast way to equip them. At least in the WiiU version, not sure about the Switch.
- The game lets you have unlimited stocks of healing items/food that are incredibly easy to craft in bulk. And you can always heal while paused.

If these don't bother you then BOTW will probably be the best open world game you ever played.

Neff

I wouldn't because BotW is unique to the genre. There are similarities for sure, but Skyrim leans towards plot-based sidequests with waypoints clearly marked, and more often than not revolves around smacking a bunch of enemies around. BotW is a lot more vague with objectives and wants you to figure things out for yourself. The gameplay is also a great deal more environment/puzzle-focused in comparison. You have a lot of items which can perform a lot of tasks, and traversing terrain can sometimes be a puzzle in itself. It's a truly remarkable game to lose yourself in and imo easily the best open world title out there right now.

TidusYuna

One of the greatest games ever made. Loved my time with this game. So much to do and the time flies by as you enjoy all the sh!t this game gives you. If you collect all the sh!t in this game, you get rewarded with even bigger sh!t. That is what really makes this game special. You won't even realize how much sh!t you've collected when its all said and done. Very rewarding game.

Filben

Completely different. Skyrim and the others are narrative driven and with branching smaller narratives and lots of static mechanics. BotW is in its general gameplay mechanic much more dynamic and 'fun', but you won't be playing for the story.

Also, on a more personal note, I never found exploration rewarding in BotW because you either get rubees, stamina or health, or rarely armour, or weapons that won't last forever. It's nit my sense of progression and since it's heavily lacking in the narrative part that won't keep me engaged either. It's fun to toy around with the world and its systems but for me it ended after about ten hours after feeling having done everything the game offered mechanical and story wise.

Last edited:

Holammer

Your jump from LttP to BotW mirrors my own. I did test many of the other games, but I never played them to completion.
It is an amazing open world game and there is lot of freedom innit, crazy people can grab a twig, run to Ganon's castle and defeat him in 20 minutes or you can screw around and explore every nook and cranny. There's a surprising amount of story and even voiced dialogue, but not too much. Just enough so you remain in control while moving the story along, MGS4 this is not.

I really enjoyed the climbing mechanic a lot too, it was a shame Elden Ring had nothing like it and chose to trivialize vertical movement instead.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's maybe the only open world game I've ever played that ACTUALLY feels wide open. There are no mountains you can't climb, nothing you can't explore (with a few minor exceptions). Nintendo calls it "open air", which is a good way to describe the difference from your typical open world game. It actually feels open in three dimensions, whereas something like Skyrim is more of a 2D world with a lot of barriers preventing full exploration.

And it's just a ton of fun to play. Go for it.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
It’s decent. Up there as one of my least favourite Zelda titles but that’s not terrible as they’re generally all pretty good.
Lack of dungeons and the weapons constantly breaking definitely made it a lot lower on my list.

And for those comparing it to Skyrim. Wow. The exploration in this is nothing compared to that.

Give it a shot, some love it some don't you be the judge. I could give you my opinion but it won't change the way you will feel while playing it.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
This is a game that seems to be more enjoyable if you have stayed away from zelda for a good while. Most of the complaints seem to come from the Zelda enthusiast. This could be a misconception on my part of course.

I have only dabbled in Zelda games growing up but BOTW is probably my favorite game ever made.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's a great game. Keep in mind that it is long and you're going to feel underpowered for hours. At some point though things will click and it'll become a truly magical gaming experience.

My advice is to not rush your game time with it, just enjoy the experience.

calistan

It's a good game, but for me the exploration quickly turned into Link's Climbing Simulator. I mean, you can search for ages to find the correct route up the cliffs and mountains, or you can get upgrades that let you climb up pretty much anything. Leave the horse at the bottom, climb to the top, whistle for the horse.

MagnesD3

Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time are better plays but I guess it really depends what you enjoyed out of Link to the Past in the first place.. BOTW does have the best open world design out of all of the games though if thats what your looking for with Wind Waker taking 2nd in that regard.

Last edited:

Fbh

While not perfect and with plenty of glaring issues, it's still a great game and one of the better open worlds of recent years.

The 4 things that stood out to me and which separate it from most other moden open worlds (aside from Elden Ring) are:
- The world design and exploration isn't based around following waypoints: The game encourages you to actually look at the world (not a minimap or compass) and go in any direction that seems interesting
- The main story doesn't have a linear progression, there's several main objectives but you can basically do them in any order as you come across them.
- Traversal is pretty fun, being able to climb almost everywhere and having stamina to worry about actually makes you think a bit about how to reach locations, which I found more fun than "hold R2 to parkour and go everywhere" like Assassins creed or the "limited climbing on highlighted ledges" which a lot of game use.
- Decent amount of physics and fun world interactions

Combined they made it a really fun open world, one that actually gave me a sense of exploration unlike the vast majority of modern open worlds

Shifty1897

You'll either think it's one of the best games of all time or you won't understand the hype at all. It's definitely worth finding out for yourself though.

And rough times are tough but hang in there, things will get better eventually. Keep doing your best.

GymWolf

Some good things, some bad things, give it a try but maintain your expectations in check if your expect great dungeons\boss fights or what people call "rewarding exploration" (or any sort of decent story\characters).

It is a completely different game compared to skyrim, the only thing they have in common is being open world and the barebone melee combat, zelda feels better but skyrim is more varied.

Ogbert

Jealous that you get to play it for the first time.

My favourite game of all time, without doubt. It has flaws but nothing comes close to its sense of magic.

Ozrimandias

BOTW is in my backlog but i don't know where to start, i want a rich open world game. Elden Ring, BOTW, The Witcher 3 or Skyrim? Wich is more deep in that aspect?

acm2000

i tried it on an emulator and got really bored by it really fast, bland empty world and the stamina/weapon breaking is so archaic, luckily on the emu you can disable stamina etc.

Honest questions.

How is this possible? If you like the series? You missed OoT, MM, TP which are absolute top notch.
How old are you?
I'm up there in age. Let's just say I'm over 40.

The Nintendo Switch is my first Nintendo console since the SNES so that's why I've missed all these great games.

Top Bottom