• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have Dirt 5 on PS5, but I play the PS4 version in BC mode

That’s right. I have Dirt 5 for both PS4 and PS5, but I prefer the PS4 version (at 30fps) for 2 reasons.

1. It looks sharper in resolution mode
2. No frame drops whatsoever.

Even though they’ve made the frame drops happen less often on the PS5 version, the fact is, it still drops pretty hard sometimes. I wouldn’t mind so much if it just dropped a frame here and there, but it literally goes from 60fps down to 30fps for 3-4 seconds for seemingly no reason.

I don’t care if a game is 30fps or 60fps, but it needs to stick to one of those frame rates or it breaks immersion for me.

Anyway… I platinumed the PS4 version and didn’t have any issues winning every race in 1st position on very hard difficulty… even though it was locked to 30fps.

I wish they spent more time optimizing the game because I would love to play the PS5 version but I just can’t.

GHG

Gold Member
Can’t play Wreckfest because of screen tearing hah. 2021 and games still tear. Such a shame. I’m hoping they fix it.

I don't know whether the PS5 version has screen tear issues or not but if that's the case then play WRC9 instead. I'm deadly serious. This is what I thought of dirt 5:

This game... This game... is fucking awful.

Where to start... on PC it takes about a minute before the splash screens start appearing after you press "play". I thought my game was broken but apparently according to one of the top reviews on the MS store this is normal. Then you get into the game, the UI is absolute puke, the voice overs are obnoxious and the game is basically "hey there fellow kids .gif". To top it all off the soundtrack is dreadful.

Then you start playing the game and it gets even worse. The handling model is a joke, absolutely no challenge even with all the assists turned off (the cars brake and have traction as if they are F1 cars, even on ice!), the AI are clowns and drive like grandmas even on the highest difficulty, there's no damage option to speak of and there's no way to turn all the elements of the HUD off. I did about 10 events in the career mode and I'm bored out of my mind already. The whole thing just looks like a bunch of random race events thrown together with an arbitrary credits system to buy cars.

Graphics are ok, at least on PC maxed out at 1440p/60fps. Sound mix is terrible, car sounds are worse.

If you want a good arcade (and offroad) racing game do yourself a favour and play Wreckfest instead. This really ain't it. I don't think I've ever uninstalled a racing game faster in my life before and that's saying something because I pretty much try them all.

I'm very rarely offended by how bad a game is and this was one of those unfortunate occasions.

So yeh, take from that what you will, there are far more enjoyable racing games for you to play.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Weird, I thought it was 4k and 60fps in the graphics mode :pie_thinking:
And Wreckfest has screen tearing? I need to play it some more, I only did a quick test. I can't stand that shit when I notice it.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I agree. Dirt 5 is plagued with inconsistent performance issues that are major detractors.

Can’t play Wreckfest because of screen tearing hah. 2021 and games still tear. Such a shame. I’m hoping they fix it.
I didn't notice screen tearing on PS5... I'm usually more sensitive to tearing than drops. Are there different graphics settings?

Weird, I thought it was 4k and 60fps in the graphics mode :pie_thinking:
And Wreckfest has screen tearing? I need to play it some more, I only did a quick test. I can't stand that shit when I notice it.
Dirt claims to be 60fps in one of the modes on PS5, but it has tons of drops in corners and when the stages transition weather/day cycles.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
PS5 is better to me due to dualsense features and 120fpss
Last I checked, they had removed 120hz on PS5 because of issues with it. The graphics were incredibly bland in 120hz mode from what I played before it was removed. Did they add it back in?
What's the res on PS4? :pie_thinking: From the videos (I don't own it) it looked quite clean on PS5.
It was mostly ok a few patches ago, but they have since released a few updates that hurt the performance on a few specific tracks. There is one in a quarry that comes to mind, I think Greece and another in China with bridges that are especially bad last I played. The game can look amazing at times and if you can stand regular drops it may be good enough.

EDIT - I haven't played the PS4 version.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't know whether the PS5 version has screen tear issues or not but if that's the case then play WRC9 instead. I'm deadly serious. This is what I thought of dirt 5:

PS5 only had one very small occasion of minor tear for 1-2sec. During the whole campaign it wasn't there so I can say it has no screen tearing overall and loved the game!

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Wreckfest can't have tearing, cause it's perfect car game.
I didn't notice any when I had a quick game of it, maybe it's on the top 5% of the screen :pie_thinking: Gonna wait for tests.

Thanks.
Drops to 56 with tearing with all cars on screen a few seconds in but 60fps later with just as many cars on screen, weird.
Also drops with only one car on screen with tyre smoke.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

It does not. I play it regularly.
Which game?
It seems Wreckfest has tearing.
exportsequence000000.jpg

fedexportsequence000000.jpg

Last edited:

I'm very rarely offended by how bad a game is and this was one of those unfortunate occasions.

So yeh, take from that what you will, there are far more enjoyable racing games for you to play.

That accurately summed up Im feelings as well. As a Dirt fan since the beginning I was blown away at just how shitty it was. The Motorstorm team is a bad fit for this series judging by this game. The shittiness got worse once all the bugs were thrown into the mix, including the constant crashing that eventually led to a corrupt save file (one or two races before the last final race of the game too).

Thankfully Sony refunded the game for me.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: GHG
I actually like dirt 5. No crashing or bugs in the PS4 version. It runs perfectly at 30fps (as it should hah). I just wish they’d unlock the frame rate on backwards compatibility mode, but they won’t do that since there’s a PS5 version that is already unlocked.

I didn't notice any when I had a quick game of it, maybe it's on the top 5% of the screen :pie_thinking: Gonna wait for tests.

Thanks.
Drops to 56 with tearing with all cars on screen a few seconds in but 60fps later with just as many cars on screen, weird.
Also drops with only one car on screen with tyre smoke.
There’s a lot more tearing when you play multiplayer.

Brofist

Wreckfest is a much better game, but from clicking play on Dirt 5 in GP to actually playing/driving in a race took me some 30 seconds and change on PC, so not sure why that's taking so long.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I like WRC9 much more than Dirt 5 and I own both on PS5. Wreckfest is fun online but I feel you actually need to race clean if you actually want to finish a race.

Dirt 5 is one of the most bare bones racing games in recent times. The game barely has any soul.

Last edited:

SpokkX

That’s right. I have Dirt 5 for both PS4 and PS5, but I prefer the PS4 version (at 30fps) for 2 reasons.

1. It looks sharper in resolution mode
2. No frame drops whatsoever.

Even though they’ve made the frame drops happen less often on the PS5 version, the fact is, it still drops pretty hard sometimes. I wouldn’t mind so much if it just dropped a frame here and there, but it literally goes from 60fps down to 30fps for 3-4 seconds for seemingly no reason.

I don’t care if a game is 30fps or 60fps, but it needs to stick to one of those frame rates or it breaks immersion for me.

Anyway… I platinumed the PS4 version and didn’t have any issues winning every race in 1st position on very hard difficulty… even though it was locked to 30fps.

I wish they spent more time optimizing the game because I would love to play the PS5 version but I just can’t.

i also cant stand tearing aframedrops

This is basically why i posted this thread. VRR gives you BOTH res and a ”lock”/no tearing:

Sony needs to support VRR too

Last edited:
The time and patience one must have to platinum this piece of ******* I envy you OP, honestly.
I like the game and it’s incredibly easy. Reminds me of DriveClub but way easier. I like just picking my car and driving without having to worry about upgrades and parts. I just wanna pick and go. Also, the locations can look pretty good in certain lighting and weather conditions.

Top Bottom