• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have a bad feeling that Hideo Kojima won't be making the games he wants to make due to the global financial recession......

Bryank75

Banned
It really shouldn't be considered by other devs, what Kojima is getting in his budget.... that is only Sony's business and none of the studios are lacking funds.

I hope they continue to fund him but it's obvious that he needs someone to focus him in a bit on what the market wants, even though I loved DS.

ManaByte

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Has there been any suggestion that new project is Death Stranding 2? Or is DS gonna be one of those one and done games?
I think it's better that it be a one-off so that we continue to see what interesting, unique and weird ideas and stories Kojima has in mind for a new IP. Death Stranding and P.T. were so intriguing in part because they were something different for a change from the guy known for always working on the Metal Gear IP.

Breakage

I think it's better that it be a one-off so that we continue to see what interesting, unique and weird ideas and stories Kojima has in mind for a new IP. Death Stranding and P.T. were so intriguing in part because they were something different for a change from the guy known for always working on the Metal Gear IP.
I also think it would be better if DS is a one off, but I remember Kojima saying that he wanted multiple entries. I guess we will have to wait and see.

CobraXT

Banned
It really shouldn't be considered by other devs, what Kojima is getting in his budget.... that is only Sony's business and none of the studios are lacking funds.
I hope they continue to fund him but it's obvious that he needs someone to focus him in a bit on what the market wants, even though I loved DS.
Triple A games for sony are very different than other publishers in budget, they get really low budgets in comparison to how polished they are. Might be because of all this inter studio cooperation they have going on and the classic lackluster marketing.

I heared a rumer that 70 % of death stranding development was done by guerilla games .. and this is the reason horizon 2 is 2021 game not ps5 launch title .. kojima is a burden on sony at this point since death stranding barely made any profit if at all .. the game was given for free here in the middle east with every sold ps4 .. my geuss is his days with sony are numbered

Last edited:

Keihart

I heared a rumer that 70 % of death stranding development was done by guerilla games .. and this is the reason horizon 2 is 2021 game not ps5 launch title .. kojima is a burden on sony at this point since death stranding barely made any profit if at all .. the game was given for free here in the middle east with every sold ps4 .. my geuss is his days with sony are numbered
Didn't the game sell like 3 M copies in the first 2 weeks? that sounds like it did pretty alright.
Also, most of Sony first and second party games, have historically being measured in critic acclaim more than pure sales, studios with critical acclaim rarely get shutdown in WWS.

And yeah, i imagine Guerrilla helping with the grunt of work for the game, but DS has Kojima Production written all over it from audio and UI design to animations. I think if anything, Guerrilla Games probably benefited quite a bit from the KP experience too. I mean, just look at Horizon ZD animations, that game it's stiff AF compared to DS during gameplay and cinematics.

Doesn't he have a multiple game contract? His game made money too. What's the concern?
Sometime I'm not sure if people are trolling and I don't want to insult them by asking =\

The value for sony is not "does your game make money?" but "how big is your ROI"?
DS probably didn't bring a lot of new people into the ecosystem and from the numbers it also seems like it did not make them a lot of money.

The concept of opportunity costs is highly relevant here. The same money could have made way more profit elsewhere.

CobraXT

Banned
Didn't the game sell like 3 M copies in the first 2 weeks? that sounds like it did pretty alright.
Also, most of Sony first and second party games, have historically being measured in critic acclaim more than pure sales, studios with critical acclaim rarely get shutdown in WWS.

And yeah, i imagine Guerrilla helping with the grunt of work for the game, but DS has Kojima Production written all over it from audio and UI design to animations. I think if anything, Guerrilla Games probably benefited quite a bit from the KP experience too. I mean, just look at Horizon ZD animations, that game it's stiff AF compared to DS during gameplay and cinematics.

I think it sold 2ish milion copies .. most likely they covered the development cost but didnt made any meaningful profit .. and the gurilla games info source is true-gaming site owner .. is an arabic gaming site ''the most famous one'' he is legit ..

Grinchy

Banned
After forcing myself through 60+ hours of Death Stranding and enjoying 25-30ish hours of it tops, I start to wonder if he really does deserve full creative control or if reeling him in was always necessary. Maybe Konami isn't completely the bad guy on the incomplete MGSV debacle.

entremet

Sometime I'm not sure if people are trolling and I don't want to insult them by asking =\

The value for sony is not "does your game make money?" but "how big is your ROI"?
DS probably didn't bring a lot of new people into the ecosystem and from the numbers it also seems like it did not make them a lot of money.

The concept of opportunity costs is highly relevant here. The same money could have made way more profit elsewhere.
I get opportunity cost, but he already said he's working on another game. Also, KojiPro is not a fly by night operation. It's a full-fledge professional game studio.

To be worried the man, who has a legendary resume and still wants to make games, won't see another AAA game is absurd. If not, Sony, it would be someone else. The man is connected.

It literally crazy talk. C'mon, guys. Stop it with the kindergarten level analysis.

Last edited:
After reading and contemplating about that gemastru article regarding Kojima's statements, I can't help but feel as if his days are numbered already.

As good as Death Stranding was, it didn't capture the zeitgest the way his previous titles did, and this could impact his ability as an auteur to make the games that he would love to make, rather than secure a project with a guaranteed profit margin.

After what happened to the global economy, developers like Kojima will become less appealing to both publishers and the average gamer who would want to spend their $60 on a game that would guarantee a "fun time" rather than experiences a singular visionary work of art, so to speak.

I'm glad he's working on a new project, but I'm afraid this could be his last title in this decade before he either decides to retire or loses financial support from publishers.

What do you think, GAF?
I think you're nuts.

If Sony gave him money to make a walking simulator that gets good after 50 hours, they'll give him money for anything.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Kojima likes to take his time and make the games he wants to make. That's not always good business for his publishing partners. It's why Konami and he had a falling out, and supposedly DS didn't do the business Sony thought it would.

yurinka

He's one of the most popular devs his games sell millions of copies and get great reviews.

He will do the games he wants, most big publishers would throw him the money he'd need and would give full creative freedom.

If something, the global economic crisis will increase game sales, as it has been the case of the recent months, and as happened in 2008 where the gaming industry saw a spike in revenue and started the insane growth of the mobile market. People stays more at home and prefers to spend their entertainment money on games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom