• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate people who don’t play videogames.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What is happening
AmusingFlimsyFoxhound-max-1mb.gif

Novacain

Thanks for sharing your nervous breakdown with all of us about what videogames mean to you.

I hope you stop hating so many people one day, best of luck.

And your outlook is perfectly normal, but it's just that, your opinion and I respect it.
Not everyone enjoys playing videogames and gaming isn't for everyone plus there's also the group of people who game as a hobby and those who don't take gaming seriously and that's ok also. For me, life's about family and the small and big moments.
I like spending moments walking or working out, reading books, spending time at the dinner table with family and friends discussing and reflecting on what's going on in our lives, or going to the movies with them and laughing at scenes that don't make sense only to discuss it after and spending time with them at the beach or other places,listening to music, singing songs and dancing together etc. That kind of stuff and that's what I enjoy the most in life and I'm certain I'm not the only one who prefers stuff like that.
I play videogames, but that doesn't mean I enjoy them, they're a small, insignificant hobby of mine and it's fading away slowly in recent years due to the things I see on social media, like people who take gaming to the extreme and fight over plastic boxes like children fighting over a toy and the big publishers who focus more on spending money on acquisitions rather than pushing for bigger, better games. There's worse things going on in the gaming industry as a whole right now, but I'll leave it at that.
I don't hate the people who love spending their time playing videogames. I hate the people who make gaming worse for everyone else and give gaming communities a bad name by being toxic. It's what ruined gaming for me and what's gradually pushing me away from gaming and that's fine by me. I also hate it when others try to forcefully push their opinions on me, those are people I don't respect. That's my take.

Last edited:

tygertrip

PREACH.

My entertainment center is an "open air" one so everything is visible. Which means, that at least one modern console (these days, the Switch) and at least one retro console (these days, an SNES and a Sega Saturn) are very clearly visible. But everything is tasteful, clean, and organized; I'm pretty picky with cable management so practically all cabling is neatly tucked away.

I've done very well in life so far, when it comes to dating attractive girls. When a woman I'm dating comes to my place for the first time, and we're sitting on the couch, either just chilling or watching a movie -- they can very clearly see the video game consoles. About half never made any comments at all; of the other half, a few expressed mild curiosity, a couple of others expressed excitement ("oh my god, a Super Nintendo, that's so cool!") and about 3 of them actually ASKED to watch me play video games.

It's a balance. I absolutely love video games, but I'm not a fucking nerd about it in real life. It's not like I'm out at dinner with a hot chick and start telling her all about the new Mario Kart 8 DLC. That's what I have you guys for, to nerd out over this shit. But usually, the second I close the NeoGAF tab on my web page... that's it, I'm done talking about video games. At the same time, if a chick asks me about it, I'm not going to shy away or be ashamed of it. "Yes, I play video games." Not a single chick in my whole life, has ever, ever, responded badly to me saying "yeah, I play video games." Because I own it. But also because of many other reasons -- I exercise, dress well, speak well, and have several hobbies other than gaming. (In fact gaming ranks relatively low in my list of hobbies.)

A person should never, ever blame video games for any social challenges they may be having. That's like blaming the pencil for failing a test in school.

Man, you must be my brother from another mother, because you articulated

PREACH.

My entertainment center is an "open air" one so everything is visible. Which means, that at least one modern console (these days, the Switch) and at least one retro console (these days, an SNES and a Sega Saturn) are very clearly visible. But everything is tasteful, clean, and organized; I'm pretty picky with cable management so practically all cabling is neatly tucked away.

I've done very well in life so far, when it comes to dating attractive girls. When a woman I'm dating comes to my place for the first time, and we're sitting on the couch, either just chilling or watching a movie -- they can very clearly see the video game consoles. About half never made any comments at all; of the other half, a few expressed mild curiosity, a couple of others expressed excitement ("oh my god, a Super Nintendo, that's so cool!") and about 3 of them actually ASKED to watch me play video games.

It's a balance. I absolutely love video games, but I'm not a fucking nerd about it in real life. It's not like I'm out at dinner with a hot chick and start telling her all about the new Mario Kart 8 DLC. That's what I have you guys for, to nerd out over this shit. But usually, the second I close the NeoGAF tab on my web page... that's it, I'm done talking about video games. At the same time, if a chick asks me about it, I'm not going to shy away or be ashamed of it. "Yes, I play video games." Not a single chick in my whole life, has ever, ever, responded badly to me saying "yeah, I play video games." Because I own it. But also because of many other reasons -- I exercise, dress well, speak well, and have several hobbies other than gaming. (In fact gaming ranks relatively low in my list of hobbies.)

A person should never, ever blame video games for any social challenges they may be having. That's like blaming the pencil for failing a test in school.
Man, you must be my brother from another mother! You just articulated EXACTLY how I feel, in a way I never could. I never hid videogames either, and it never hurt me. Even if there was chicks that were turned off by someone liking video games, so what? NEXT! Because there were (and are) plenty that didn't care. Just like you said, BALANCE!

Top Bottom