• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate people who don’t play videogames.

Scotty W

The way I see it, the world’s value can be summed up in one word: yolo. Shakespeare, Leonardo, Kurt Cobain, Marilyn Monroe are so treasured because they are singular, so too are life and nature.

I reject this. What, is value the dream of a shadow, coming as quickly as it goes? No. Value is in being infinite and being infinitely renewed. Infinite game overs, infinite continues.

In my lived experience, those who don’t play games are forever jabbering about their ‘unique’ experiences, their relationship with their busty gf, a funny story in which improbable coincidences happen, or muh meaningfullness because they love or treasure it. It is always either that, or the opposite. What a dull circle of existence! And this dull circle is the sum total of those who do not game’s jabbering. And this is all based on the false idea that something has value because it is singular.

I would be content to let these be, but they have to constantly be trying to pry their fingers into my world. “Why don’t you get a job? Why don’t you get back together with Sheena? Why don’t you take a shower? Why don’t you lose some weight? Come on, time’s a wastin’”. I wish the world and time WOULD waste away.

They just cannot stop themselves from putting their singular false consciousness on me. Some days, it really triggers my ptsd and I have to play Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods: Part 1on ultra nightmare just to stay normal. And they fill my mind up with this filth, and yet my gaming life is totally meaningless to them. They don’t care about my rankings in Dota or Fortnite. When I tell them how many hours I have put into Dark Souls 2 they look at me with sad concern. That’s it, that’s the thing that disgusts me, that fucking look, like they are so much better with their rich collection of irrepeatable experiences in singular places with singular individuals. But I can tell they are lying by the way they try to photograph and video as much of this singularity. Why do they do this?

Because they are attempting to make the passing moment infinite and repeatable. All human action strives toward being like a videogame. By their own action, I can see their lack of faith in the fleeting moment. It needs to be bolstered up just to make it worth doing.

And yet, they go on waging an endless war of invalidation against us gamers, mostly through capitalism. They have manipulated history to put monetary pressure on gamers. If you don’t work, you don’t eat; if you don’t eat, you don’t shit; if you don’t shit, you die. They have used this sophism to create a false consciousness which ‘others’ gamers and legitimizes starving us. In fact, the cruelty is the point.

How many games have been ruined because of financial concerns? Answer: ALL the bad ones. Any game that is rushed or has content cut is a victim of monetary concern. Money is used as a pretext to inflict cruelty on gamers and to rob them of existence. Even worse, we can see by the many recurrent failures of game preservation that there are many who are indifferent at best, and sadistic at worst toward gamers. Failure to preserve games is an attempt to erase gamers. The first step in a genocide is allowing history to be erased. This is exactly what the Nazis did, and if you think I am making this up, just ask any random person, “Does it bother you that the only legal way to play Metroid Fusion is on the Wii U store, and Nintendo is trying to cancel even that?” I promise, You will see their true colours.

So you will forgive me, Papa, if I deign not to answer “Are ya winning son?” I know what you really want. Incidentally, the whole premise of this question is an absolutely infuriating display of bad faith.

The premise is that if I am winning in a game I will able to transfer that ability to ‘real life’, so the false consciousness presupposition is built INTO the question.

Plus winning is highly overrated. While pwning n00bs does give the old cpu a nice boost, it’s not it. Neither is it about high scores, though those aspire to be infinite. What it all comes down to is time.

The feeling of time passing makes my skin crawl, like I am being slowly encircled and squeezed by a serpent. I want the perfect game, the game that will kill time once and for all. Oh games, take me again into your womb and undo me to nothing but semen, or if not, smother me beneath your pendulous bosoms!

This is also why I am so intolerant of flaws in games, because anything that takes me out of the immersion reminds me of my decaying body and brain, and thus, time. If a game is anything less than 120 fps, it is like being itself that is slipping back into primal chaos and I can see cthulhu stretching eternity and sticking me with time. Graphical flaws in general remind me of my eyes and these my body and the serpent of time devouring me. In general, all flaws break immersion and make me fall again into this disgusting world of time and body. A corpse is viler than a dunghill. This world of body and time and people who mocked my asthma fill me with revulsion.

Good old games are a bit of a tricky area because a game must match what it was in my memory plus nostalgia. A bad remaster is a corrupted eternity and this is, by definition, hell.

And don’t even get me started on Nintendo, who go out of their way to remind me of time, “maybe you should take a break.” What really gets me heaving is their business practices. Just like every company, they are only in it for the money. No one has a pure motivation. The whole industry is like this, just filled with whiners whining about non-existent hours and their yolo lives and yolo loved ‘ones’. I have seen the vacancy of their world since I crossed my first uni directional highway in the first level of Frogger. The whole industry is based on the idea of winning in the so called ‘real world.’ This world is set forever against my existence. And so, those who are of this impure world are set against me. Against non-gamers, I declare eternal enmity.

Gamers, I call you from out the world, into the world of games and images. Baptize your senses in 24k 120 fps and burn away the encrusted impurities. There is no place in this world for you, and there never was. But if we strive, maybe one day there will be no place or time in this world for this world, and our purified souls will be free to dwell forever on gaming ambrosia.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

MrMephistoX

I thought this was obviously a joke post in the third paragraph so I scrolled to the end and Jesus Christ why did you write 15 more.
TLDR: The title summed up the entire 16 paragraphs. I only hate people who don’t play games that bag on gaming as a waste of time: bitch you’re sitting on your ass watching football every Sunday.

Keihart

Pretty long journal entry but skimmed through it.
As someone who loves gaming and somewhat on the midllife adulthood, i think that while gaming can be precious and give you experiences that you won't get on the real life, this is also the case for real life.
So yeah, i think you are wrong by looking down on people who don't value video games as much as you do, because it doesn't seem that you even seriously consider the value on the experiences that video games won't give you.
Also, don't waste your energy and time on resenting others, specially over trivial problems, life is indeed too short and it is already later than you would think although never late enough to attempt anything.

Edit: yeah, i hope this is a joke post, OP seems way to bitter to be healthy.
Oh games, take me again into your womb and undo me to nothing but semen, or if not, smother me beneath your pendulous bosoms!

Last edited:

draliko

I don't know about very cheap my man. Lets go with affordable and that can be a stretch. It popular because it's fun and if you can afford it the possibly seem endless.
It's very cheap, any sport that isn't running or soccer cost way more... I do ski and mtb... well i hope my wife never gets to know hiw much money i really spent on those... gaming is hell cheap

ANIMAL1975

If this is a serious post... dude, not all people who don't play games are like that; there are others that are open minded, that can see value or appreciate things they never tried or can't enjoy themselves. Anyway, all forms of art all the beauty in the world, (man made or natural) deserve to be experienced and shared by everyone _ this is what extremisms destroy.

PS. You wrote this post very well, with passion, strong words, strong feelings _ well I be damned if that's not another form of art you just scratched there.

It's very cheap, any sport that isn't running or soccer cost way more... I do ski and mtb... well i hope my wife never gets to know hiw much money i really spent on those... gaming is hell cheap
Bro, you think gaming is "very cheap" because you big willy it up at ski resorts in between mountain biking with, I'm sure, an expensive bike?
Checks out

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am just annoyed by non gaming book readers the most.
They insist that games are stupid and books are infinitely more detailed with their stories.
BITCH - You have no idea how deeps some games stories are.
And generally, I can see some non-gamers condescending approach to gamers.

Many times I hear from some of my cooworkers:
-Gaming is for kids
-Gaming is a waste of money
-Gaming is shallow
-You are not taking life seriously
-Better have kids of your own and so on

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't know about very cheap my man. Lets go with affordable and that can be a stretch. It popular because it's fun and if you can afford it the possibly seem endless.
Better term, I agree. Sorry I am at the doctors and my brain isn't in the best shape.

Kumomeme

i dont hate those who not has similliar interest as everyone has their own preferences and hobby

but i hate those who didnt play videogame but look down on us who playing. especially those who know nothing while still live in outdated mentality such as "video game is for kids", "waste of time" or those who look at it as something bad or harmful activities.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm totally with you OP. I'm not hurting anyone by playing video games, so stfu and mind your own business if you think it's stupid, waste of time etc. keep your dumb comments to yourself, especially when you spend most of your free time on the couch yourself.

Orta

Banned
The way I see it, the world’s value can be summed up in one word: yolo. Shakespeare, Leonardo, Kurt Cobain, Marilyn Monroe are so treasured because they are singular, so too are life and nature.

I reject this. What, is value the dream of a shadow, coming as quickly as it goes? No. Value is in being infinite and being infinitely renewed. Infinite game overs, infinite continues.

In my lived experience, those who don’t play games are forever jabbering about their ‘unique’ experiences, their relationship with their busty gf, a funny story in which improbable coincidences happen, or muh meaningfullness because they love or treasure it. It is always either that, or the opposite. What a dull circle of existence! And this dull circle is the sum total of those who do not game’s jabbering. And this is all based on the false idea that something has value because it is singular.

I would be content to let these be, but they have to constantly be trying to pry their fingers into my world. “Why don’t you get a job? Why don’t you get back together with Sheena? Why don’t you take a shower? Why don’t you lose some weight? Come on, time’s a wastin’”. I wish the world and time WOULD waste away.

They just cannot stop themselves from putting their singular false consciousness on me. Some days, it really triggers my ptsd and I have to play Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods: Part 1on ultra nightmare just to stay normal. And they fill my mind up with this filth, and yet my gaming life is totally meaningless to them. They don’t care about my rankings in Dota or Fortnite. When I tell them how many hours I have put into Dark Souls 2 they look at me with sad concern. That’s it, that’s the thing that disgusts me, that fucking look, like they are so much better with their rich collection of irrepeatable experiences in singular places with singular individuals. But I can tell they are lying by the way they try to photograph and video as much of this singularity. Why do they do this?

Because they are attempting to make the passing moment infinite and repeatable. All human action strives toward being like a videogame. By their own action, I can see their lack of faith in the fleeting moment. It needs to be bolstered up just to make it worth doing.

And yet, they go on waging an endless war of invalidation against us gamers, mostly through capitalism. They have manipulated history to put monetary pressure on gamers. If you don’t work, you don’t eat; if you don’t eat, you don’t shit; if you don’t shit, you die. They have used this sophism to create a false consciousness which ‘others’ gamers and legitimizes starving us. In fact, the cruelty is the point.

How many games have been ruined because of financial concerns? Answer: ALL the bad ones. Any game that is rushed or has content cut is a victim of monetary concern. Money is used as a pretext to inflict cruelty on gamers and to rob them of existence. Even worse, we can see by the many recurrent failures of game preservation that there are many who are indifferent at best, and sadistic at worst toward gamers. Failure to preserve games is an attempt to erase gamers. The first step in a genocide is allowing history to be erased. This is exactly what the Nazis did, and if you think I am making this up, just ask any random person, “Does it bother you that the only legal way to play Metroid Fusion is on the Wii U store, and Nintendo is trying to cancel even that?” I promise, You will see their true colours.

So you will forgive me, Papa, if I deign not to answer “Are ya winning son?” I know what you really want. Incidentally, the whole premise of this question is an absolutely infuriating display of bad faith.

The premise is that if I am winning in a game I will able to transfer that ability to ‘real life’, so the false consciousness presupposition is built INTO the question.

Plus winning is highly overrated. While pwning n00bs does give the old cpu a nice boost, it’s not it. Neither is it about high scores, though those aspire to be infinite. What it all comes down to is time.

The feeling of time passing makes my skin crawl, like I am being slowly encircled and squeezed by a serpent. I want the perfect game, the game that will kill time once and for all. Oh games, take me again into your womb and undo me to nothing but semen, or if not, smother me beneath your pendulous bosoms!

This is also why I am so intolerant of flaws in games, because anything that takes me out of the immersion reminds me of my decaying body and brain, and thus, time. If a game is anything less than 120 fps, it is like being itself that is slipping back into primal chaos and I can see cthulhu stretching eternity and sticking me with time. Graphical flaws in general remind me of my eyes and these my body and the serpent of time devouring me. In general, all flaws break immersion and make me fall again into this disgusting world of time and body. A corpse is viler than a dunghill. This world of body and time and people who mocked my asthma fill me with revulsion.

Good old games are a bit of a tricky area because a game must match what it was in my memory plus nostalgia. A bad remaster is a corrupted eternity and this is, by definition, hell.

And don’t even get me started on Nintendo, who go out of their way to remind me of time, “maybe you should take a break.” What really gets me heaving is their business practices. Just like every company, they are only in it for the money. No one has a pure motivation. The whole industry is like this, just filled with whiners whining about non-existent hours and their yolo lives and yolo loved ‘ones’. I have seen the vacancy of their world since I crossed my first uni directional highway in the first level of Frogger. The whole industry is based on the idea of winning in the so called ‘real world.’ This world is set forever against my existence. And so, those who are of this impure world are set against me. Against non-gamers, I declare eternal enmity.

Gamers, I call you from out the world, into the world of games and images. Baptize your senses in 24k 120 fps and burn away the encrusted impurities. There is no place in this world for you, and there never was. But if we strive, maybe one day there will be no place or time in this world for this world, and our purified souls will be free to dwell forever on gaming ambrosia.

What in the name of blue fuck are you banging on about?

Take another one of your pills and have a nice lie down.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I am just annoyed by non gaming book readers the most.
They insist that games are stupid and books are infinitely more detailed with their stories.
BITCH - Ain't no book have a story so deep like some big rpgs.

Going to have to really disagree with this. If you believe no book has a story as deep as some RPG games then you've been reading the wrong books.

Games can be a waste of time if you let them consume you. I reduced my gaming time to the bare minimum a few years ago and it had a profound impact on my life.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Going to have to really disagree with this. If you believe no book has a story as deep as some RPG games then you've been reading the wrong books.

Games can be a waste of time if you let them consume you. I reduced my gaming time to the bare minimum a few years ago and it had a profound impact on my life.
I said something wrong... that's not what I had in mind. Let me edit

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
fkn cmon man. Let me finish my sentence. I edited :p
But anyway - I don't read DEM BOOKS. Fuck it. Fucking antiquated media.
My wife is a big reader though. She does about 30-50 per year. I did got get a kindle oasis recently to replace old kindle 4. Pretty cool

edit: I loathe the hate and social connection that people who do not read books are idiots. NO. Why not other way around? What is so special about books? It's the simplest form of media

Last edited:
Top Bottom