• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I found the cringiest scene in video game history.

Fredrik

Every romance scene in gaming history.
Don’t overthink it, just create hot characters and let them wear skimpy clothes for whatever reason in some areas if you want to show more skin, don’t ever attempt to make them have sex, it’s always a cringe fest.

peronmls

Holy shit. This is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen.

Are there really adults who genuinely believe Kingdom Hearts is good?
The only people taking this stuff seriously is you. Most people don't understand "Goofy" comic relief. Stick to your COD.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Holy shit.. and I thought the Uncharted 4 epilogue with the daughter was hot garbage.

It's a poor reflection on videogames that this terribly acted, emotionally vapid, uncanny valley, dross is actually held up as being on a par with top tier movies.

If you chopped TLOU2 down to it's story beats and released that as a movie then it would be slaughtered like the straight to DVD/Netflix shite it actually is.

Instead the videogame community is wanking itself silly because a game caused them to feel an emotion.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There's a cutscene in the first couple of hours of God of War 2018 where the little kid starts stabbing or beating a dead bad guy and screams "You can't hurt me anymore".

The cringe it induced was felt in my loins. I can not believe how much of a pass that game gets.

Come out of the closet already, it’s ok.

47f.jpg

Fredrik

If you chopped TLOU2 down to it's story beats and released that as a movie then it would be slaughtered like the straight to DVD/Netflix shite it actually is.
To be fair this goes for all games. There can be moments of quality but no game holds up compared to movies or books, even the best acted games are still just average in acting and the stories and twists are too obvious as if they’re made for kids or teenagers at best.

Generally speaking games like Ori has less cringe since they don’t attempt to create a believable real life scenario in need of perfect acting and face animations. It’s what’s said between the lines, with the animations and art, that makes it emotional, plus the music. They often linger a bit and let you fill in the gaps with your own life experiences before you get to know it all, it can be quite powerful at times.

I like what I’ve seen so far from Cyberpunk though, haven’t finished it yet but so far I think it’s merging immersive gameplay and storytelling in a surprisingly convincing way. There is still cringe but it’s less than in many other games.

Last edited:

Umbral

Solidarity lol, just wonderous how people can get worked up about indignity and creeping equality in games just because they wanna get away with being savage trolls towards a minority without anyone calling them on it~ I'll never get over seeing serial offensive pricks getting offended remotely :messenger_tears_of_joy:
What?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
There's a cutscene in the first couple of hours of God of War 2018 where the little kid starts stabbing or beating a dead bad guy and screams "You can't hurt me anymore".

The cringe it induced was felt in my loins. I can not believe how much of a pass that game gets.
Good catch. I actually thought of that scene again after playing the game and remembered how bad it was. It's very poor storytelling. They wanted the kid to be angry, so Kratos could continue down the "you're not ready" path. There was no build up or believability to it. It served a purpose for the writers to do other stuff, so they included it.

Even a game like Last of Us is actually pretty shitty (story-wise), when compared to the best movies out there. As much as so many game directors what to be movie directors, games are still way, way behind. It's almost as if developers should go back to making games again, and not game/movie/cinematic experiences.

acm2000

thread should be renamed to "we found the most naive OP in video game history"

95% of japanese games are more cringey than battletoads alone.

SuperGooey

The only people taking this stuff seriously is you. Most people don't understand "Goofy" comic relief. Stick to your COD.
Clearly I upset you. Wasn't my intention, but I am genuinely at a loss at how an adult could not be embarrassed watching KH cutscenes. I'd get it if it were a guilty pleasure, though. That makes sense.

I don't play CoD, and I seriously doubt the "Goofy comic relief" of KH is too clever or above the heads of most people--it's just awkward and cringy. And trust me, there's nothing in KH I could ever take seriously, but with all these lame theses of friendship and obnoxiously complicated lore/drama, the series itself clearly does take itself quite serious a good amount of the time. Meanwhile, the comic relief if pretty bad as well.

Last edited:

peronmls

Clearly I upset you. Wasn't my intention, but I am genuinely at a loss at how an adult could not be embarrassed watching KH cutscenes. I'd get it if it were a guilty pleasure, though. That makes sense.

I don't play CoD, and I seriously doubt the "Goofy comic relief" of KH is too clever or above the heads of most people--it's just awkward and cringy. And trust me, there's nothing in KH I could ever take seriously, but with all these lame theses of friendship and obnoxiously complicated lore/drama, the series itself clearly does take itself quite serious a good amount of the time. Meanwhile, the comic relief if pretty bad as well.
See. There you go again. Taking a Disney anime games seriously.

Saruhashi

Banned
To be fair this goes for all games. There can be moments of quality but no game holds up compared to movies or books, even the best acted games are still just average in acting and the stories and twists are too obvious as if they’re made for kids or teenagers at best.

Generally speaking games like Ori has less cringe since they don’t attempt to create a believable real life scenario in need of perfect acting and face animations. It’s what’s said between the lines, with the animations and art, that makes it emotional, plus the music. They often linger a bit and let you fill in the gaps with your own life experiences before you get to know it all, it can be quite powerful at times.

I like what I’ve seen so far from Cyberpunk though, haven’t finished it yet but so far I think it’s merging immersive gameplay and storytelling in a surprisingly convincing way. There is still cringe but it’s less than in many other games.

I agree on games like Ori. The developers don't pretend to be writers or movie directors but instead focus on their talents.
Design, atmosphere, immersion, gameplay.

I think in the AAA space games are seen as a form of interactive entertainment and a lot of the writers are people who simply aren't good enough to be in movies or even TV.

For sure a guy like Kojima wishes he was a Hollywood director. Which kind of sucks because he has some really interesting ideas about games. He just decided to bury them under endless cutscenes.

I would think of Cyberpunk as having more like a Skyrim type approach to the story. Yes, there is a narrative going on and sidequests etc but really it's the world that is the main attraction. The immersion and the music and the exploration. Story is just there to kind of keep it all together with a sense of purpose.

I always loved that in Skyrim you can just ignore the main quest completely. Just get out there and mess around with different builds and characters and then start over if you want to try something else. The janky NPC and their poorly delivered dialogue is just so easy to ignore as you explore and enjoy.

Then you've got that opposite side with a game like God of War which is really polished and has good combat but suffers from having a plot that got tired in like the early 90s. Ooooh big muscle guy has to mind a kid and blah blah blah emotions. You are basically forced to endure the story just to get to the good stuff.

Saruhashi

Banned

Fucksakes.

Can you imagine seriously telling your friend that doesn't know anything about videogames that this is like the pinnacle of storytelling in gaming.
Like, this shit is making people feel all emotional and getting them teary eyed and all that crap.

So they are like "shit, I'll watch you play it and just enjoy the story and performances etc".
Then you have to make them sit through this? LOL.

lock2k

Banned
Fucksakes.

Can you imagine seriously telling your friend that doesn't know anything about videogames that this is like the pinnacle of storytelling in gaming.
Like, this shit is making people feel all emotional and getting them teary eyed and all that crap.

So they are like "shit, I'll watch you play it and just enjoy the story and performances etc".
Then you have to make them sit through this? LOL.
"look at mama go" :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Saruhashi

Banned
"look at mama go" :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Two creepy looking mannequins dancing with each other "seductively". 10/10. Game of the year.

It's fucking horrendous.

It's the kind of thing if you watched that in a cinema your date would be turning to you and whispering "what the fuck have you brought me to watch"?
LOL.

Toe curling.

lock2k

Banned
Two creepy looking mannequins dancing with each other "seductively". 10/10. Game of the year.

It's fucking horrendous.

It's the kind of thing if you watched that in a cinema your date would be turning to you and whispering "what the fuck have you brought me to watch"?
LOL.

Toe curling.
It's worse than an artsy French movie. lmao

Top Bottom