• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I finally managed to buy a PS5 and I have some questions

Cyberpunkd

Been a PS gamer all my life, sold PS4 Pro, bought XSX, sold XSX, bought XSX, sold XSX, bought a Switch (Mario Kart machine), then Sony had a DE in stock so I was like:

Excited Lets Go GIF by Mind Pump Media

1. Which PS+ tier to pick for something like Gamepass experience? Looks like Extra gives me a library of games, correct? Anywhere I can find an official list for France? Do they rotate out often?

2. How does it work with PS4 games to be enhanced on the PS5? Namely I am thinking of Control and Witcher 3: GotY - do I just download them to the PS5 and that's it? Or do I need to select some arcane BS option somewhere in my library or pay $10 fee for an upgrade (don't care, Control is awesome)? Does the PS5 have any sort of automatic boost like the XSX does?

3. Should I get a Powerwash Simulator?

TexMex

1. Get the middle tier. Opens up a ton of ps4/5 games. Premium is worthless unless you REALLY want to stream ps3 games. The ps1/2 offerings have been a very slow trickle and you can buy them individually if something pops up you want.

2. You’ll be prompted to download the ps5 version of the game off the store.

3. No

Seyken

Been a PS gamer all my life, sold PS4 Pro, bought XSX, sold XSX, bought XSX, sold XSX, bought a Switch (Mario Kart machine), then Sony had a DE in stock so I was like:

1. Which PS+ tier to pick for something like Gamepass experience? Looks like Extra gives me a library of games, correct? Anywhere I can find an official list for France? Do they rotate out often?

2. How does it work with PS4 games to be enhanced on the PS5? Namely I am thinking of Control and Witcher 3: GotY - do I just download them to the PS5 and that's it? Or do I need to select some arcane BS option somewhere in my library or pay $10 fee for an upgrade (don't care, Control is awesome)? Does the PS5 have any sort of automatic boost like the XSX does?

1 - You're correct, it's Extra. Premium is not worth it IMO.

2 - Depends. Some games got patches that just unlock the framerate while playing the PS4 version on PS5. Example: God of War 2018. Some others got an actual PS5 version that you can download and will usually have not only higher fps, but also resolution and faster load times. And there are some that got both.

3- Go for it.

1. Extra, premium is for the fanboys and people that wait for years to get PS1/PS2 games. Open you playstation and go on the top left side to the ps plus icon and from there you can see which games are available.
2. Before you download a game press the option button on your controller and choose the PS5 version (if it has PS5 upgrade) otherwise PS5 will either download PS4 game or both of them (ask Cerny why it happens).
3. If you want to buy Power wash simulator i have better offer, every Saturday you can come by me and you can play power wash in real life. My car needs desperately cleaning, and i haven't found a victim to do it. You seem the perfect candidate 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Once you have any tier of PS Plus (I'd go with Extra, which will include Horizon: Forbidden West next week), be sure to download the PS Plus Collection. They're all expiring in May, but the licenses for all titles will permanently be added to your account as long as you add each title before then. Most are PS4 games that have been updated to run at 60 fps, and there's a lot of great Sony first-party titles. Even if you own them on disc, be sure to add the digital versions to your account.

You can find the collection in the benefits section of your membership.

As for your other questions, I don't think different countries get different games, for the most part. Very rarely I'll hear about a different game for Japan or something, but it's not too common. They do rotate out, but most games are added for a very long while or indefinitely. There are exceptions to that rule, such as WWE and GTA Vice City. Both of them were only available for a few months or so.

Anyhow, not sure about France, but here's the list for the US: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-plus/games/

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Since i'm almost in the same position, a couple of questions if you don't mind :

1) Where did you sell your XSX ? Trying to sell mine and i don't know what platform to use (Ebay/Facebook marketplace etc).Also, they're readily available and i don't know what a good selling price would be...

2) Where did you get your PS5 from and for how much ? I've Found The disk version + GOW ragnarok bundle for 595 euros from a shop, it costs 620 from Amazon (next day prime delivery + Amazon is better in case something goes wrong).

Cheers & enjoy your brand new plastic box ! :D

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sub to extra for 1 month to play Stray, Returnal, Horizon Forbidden West and Demon’s Souls.

I wouldn’t sub beyond that.

On Black Friday they had a year of Extra for sub £50. Recently they had a year of Essential for £25. I’d wait for next Black Friday if that’s what you want.

Extra is probably enough.
Premium has a lot PS3 games, but streamed, which is imho very fine, but not everyone's cup of tea. PS1 and PS2 ports for PS4 are rather few and hardly a selling point. Crysis, Lumines, Metro Redux, Outcast, Destroy all Humans and previously Mafia I+II are and were the imho noteworthy remasters, which were only Premium. Trials are kind of okay but basically demos which should be free.

The official list, in your case;
shows the same international list as en-us but is actually not a complete correct list. I think uk,fr,de,es are all the same, so it's either Europe or US content (and I assume at least Asia has its own zone too?)
Pushsquare flags the differences. https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/all-ps-plus-games
Which is at least better, but eg. Pillars of Eternity 1 was removed together with AC:Valhalla in iirc November. They did not realise that so far. Might be the only error, but might be more. Checking on your console is the only way of knowing if listed titles are really included.
They started with around 450 games for Extra and 370 for Premium, increased the number a bit in the first months when they adde some but did not remove as many and since a few months they seem to rotate the same amount out of the service as they introduce to it. A dozen or so. The only official promise is "hundreds of games" with no info on rotation cycles.
Pushsquare has on the bottom of their page those which will be removed in the future. Nno idea where they get some infos sometimes, but were solid infos so far and warned sometimes earlier than Sonys official infos which are shown in the PS Plus App on the console. Last chance to play, which is a month prior listed.

Mephisto40

With the supcription, you also have to bare in mind Sony have started offering free games each month only available to premium members, next moth being the latest horizon game

Cyberpunkd

The official list, in your case;
[/URL]
shows the same international list as en-us but is actually not a complete correct list. I think uk,fr,de,es are all the same, so it's either Europe or US content (and I assume at least Asia has its own zone too?)
Thanks for that, exactly what I was looking for, see many awesome titles there I can try e.g. Returnal, Celeste, Ghost of Tsushima, etc. Plenty to play. Does Sony announce when certain games are leaving the service?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
And just keep in the back of your mind that it's pretty likely Powerwash will end up on PS+ Extra. It was on Gamepass day 1, and still is on there.

With the supcription, you also have to bare in mind Sony have started offering free games each month only available to premium members, next moth being the latest horizon game
not true
Premium are only the PS1 Ports and the Destroy All Humans Remake.

Does Sony announce when certain games are leaving the service?
Sort of. As I said, in the PS Plus App on the console there is a last chance to play category.
I usually check Pushsquare regularly.

Did not use it so far, but maybe
provides a nice looking version of all those lists. Link is showing "leaving soon" but offers some genre filters.

Last edited:
Let's just say that if you don't consider the dual sense to be better than sex, you are already doing it wrong.
I really don't know why everyone praise the vibration calling it with different extravagant names, it's like holding a dildo on low volume when it's vibrating at some games. Only Returnal was interesting all others is just the same as it was always (also at some games it trying to make the R2 harder to pull and that i don't like it at all)

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Know your already going for extra, but yeah best tier by far.

Obviously you have gone digital only so you will need to take advantage of those bonus PS+ exclusive deals too.

El Sueño

Congrats. Go for extra, it's amazing. Pick up soon the PS collection, it goes away in may unless you have it in your library.

Fbh

1. Ps+ extra is a no brainer for a late adopter
You get access to stuff like Returnal, Demon Souls Remake, Miles Morales, Guardians of the Galaxy, FF7R (including the DLC which isn't on Ps4), Ghost of Tsushima Ps5 version with DLC and very soon Horizon Forbbidden West. All for less than the cost of 2 new games. And if you wanted to play online you'd have to get Ps+ anyway, so it's only $40 on top of that.

2. It depends on a game by game basis. Some games got a proper Ps5 version, others just got a patch for the Ps4 version which enables higher res/fps, some of the upgrades are paid, others are free. You'll just have to check how it works for the specific games you are interested in. Generally when you are looking at a game on the PSN store you can press on the three dots button (usually to the right of the download button) and it will show you all available versions,

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Misinformation.

The only thing Premium has over extra are Retro library. PS1,2 and 3. and think game trials/timed demos.

To OP, get extra, best tier to be on. The closest you get to a global PS4-enhanced mode is that everything runs at its highest supported framerate. Unless when patched by their devs. So a game that is 30fps on the PS4 will remain 30fps on the PS5. If the game somehow supported a 60fps mode, then it would be locked 60 on the PS5.

Ar¢tos

I really don't know why everyone praise the vibration calling it with different extravagant names, it's like holding a dildo on low volume when it's vibrating at some games. Only Returnal was interesting all others is just the same as it was always (also at some games it trying to make the R2 harder to pull and that i don't like it at all)
Astro Bot?

Cyberpunkd

Obviously you have gone digital only so you will need to take advantage of those bonus PS+ exclusive deals too.
I will not be playing a lot of games, plus I have a disposable income. I also do not like things lying around the house, so if I can eliminate all the game boxes the better. If I rember through all of PS4 lifetime I have gotten 3-4 boxed games.
1. Ps+ extra is a no brainer for a late adopter
You get access to stuff like Returnal, Demon Souls Remake, Miles Morales, Guardians of the Galaxy, FF7R (including the DLC which isn't on Ps4), Ghost of Tsushima Ps5 version with DLC and very soon Horizon Forbbidden West. All for less than the cost of 2 new games. And if you wanted to get play online you'd have to get Ps+ anyway, so it's only $40 on top of that.
Sweet, I saw Returnal and GoT but didn't know FF7R is on there as well. Also Stray - wanted to play that a lot as well. Maybe not as many games as on GPU, but I should be fine.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Yeah don't bother with the superior tier, those ps1 classics run like horseshit, better save the good memories you have of them.
If he lives where streaming is not laggy, that may be a good way to go though. Lots of PS3 games and they're buttery smooth for me. Although I don't bother with premium but while the PS1 offerings are weak the PS3 games aren't.

The only thing Premium has over extra are Retro library. PS1,2 and 3. and think game trials/timed demos.
Also some PS4 remakes and remasters. You can also stream most (all?) PS4 games from the Extra tier, on your PC or PS4 / 5.
If one really dislikes streaming, than you can start your playthrough via stream immediately and load the game in parallel and then move the save from one stream-cloud to the backup-cloud and then download it on your console and continue there. Which is a rather stupid process but overall makes it convenient and avoids any wait time once you choose a game to start.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Extra is the way to go. I went Premium only because of a sale. If you want to play classics like Ape Escape, then get Premium.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS Plus tiers are interesting but I bet Sony scrapes them in the future and only 1 ps plus subscription will exist.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
1. Extra.
2. 99% of third party games are free upgrades but you need to install the PS5 version from the store. Sony charges $10 for their PS5 SKUs. TLOU2. Horizon, Days Gone, GOW and Ghost of Tsushima got free 60 fps patches for the PS4 version.

GymWolf

If he lives where streaming is not laggy, that may be a good way to go though. Lots of PS3 games and they're buttery smooth for me. Although I don't bother with premium but while the PS1 offerings are weak the PS3 games aren't.
Do you downloaded the ps3 titles? because i have a super fast internet connection and everything that was streaming (i only tried infamous 1-2) was dogshit quality.

Does it depends on where you live now? not the internet connection?

Last edited:

Unknown?

Do you downloaded the ps3 titles? because i have a super fast internet connection and everything that was streaming (i only tried infamous 1-2) was dogshit quality.
No, it depends how close you are to the servers. I even played fast paced games like Sonic Adventure 2 with ease but did notice some lag so swinging sections where you jump at a precise moment I messed up half of the time whereas native I get it every time.

GymWolf

I disabled the trigger gimmick, i don't wanna break the controller even faster.

GymWolf

No, it depends how close you are to the servers. I even played fast paced games like Sonic Adventure 2 with ease but did notice some lag so swinging sections where you jump at a precise moment I messed up half of the time whereas native I get it every time.
Well shit, i should pay less than you then since the quality was abysmal for me :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Welp, just grabbed a PS5 this afternoon and...my console can't connect to the internet FFS...
I get error NW-102636-8 and the "Can't connect tot he internet - Your internet service provider or your router might be preventing your PS5 from connecting to the internet.
Make sure you can connect to the internet via the same network as your PS5 by testing your computer or mobile device".

ALL my other devices (2 TV's/smartphone/PC) all work fine on the same Wi-fi network, it's just the madafaking PS5.
- tried restarting the router, nothing.
- Reset to factory default the PS5, nothing.
- I even tried putting the PS5 closer to the router (like the FAQ suggests, lol), nothing.
- Took a look at the PSN servers status in my country, everything works fine , green status.

I'm at my wit's end, it's either the router (which i don't think so), or, my PS5 is borked, it's been 2 hours now and still can't connect

Top Bottom