• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I finally get the value of Cloud Gaming and it's amazing

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
How can there be any value in something you'll never own?
5 of your friends can play your library at home, airport, on phone, tablet, pc, smart TVs without spending a dollar...

For the family share alone cloud like Stadia have great value.

Fat Frog

Are you serious? So Netflix, Spotify, Disney+, etc have no value?

Some of us don’t care about ownership over everything. I don’t need to own games like “the gunk” for example but I’ll play it for “free”.
Plus, we don't own physical games, we own the plastic, manual and the license to use a software.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I guess I was wrong, somehow. I'm an old school kind'a guy, if I dont own it physically then I dont own it at all

Curse my old ways

I do love my big box Amiga games and DVD/Blu ray collection though. My gaming collection going back to 1984 is probably a bit silly too

When will I learn. These new ways are so much better.

When will Netflix have Star wars, by the way? I hope Sony will let me play the original Wipeouts and Project overkill on my PS5, Cant wait till Brute force is BC

The future looks good though. Seems to be getting better by the minute.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Are you serious? So Netflix, Spotify, Disney+, etc have no value?

Some of us don’t care about ownership over everything. I don’t need to own games like “the gunk” for example but I’ll play it for “free”.
So true.

Notice how nobody can ever counter their beloved NF, Hulu, Spotify or even..... monthly TV cable plan, which all of them are zero ownership.

Just about every tv show, movie, game and song can be bought. Whether it's $1, $10 or a $50 box set, most stuff can be purchased digitally or from which store like Amazon or Best Buy as a box copy. Some shit is so dirt cheap you can bargain bin a DVD or BR for 5 fucking dollars. A song might be $1. Yet, somehow that's blowing the budget.

Yet in this day and age, most people dont buy anymore, but sub plan it. Every other media is ok to sub plan it but games.

Other media plans dont even have GPU $1 deals either. Most of them have regular price right away or maybe first month free and thats it. Yet all the NF and Spotify lovers think their plans are the best ever.

Go figure.

Last edited:
OPs point is that it can be used as a gap-filler for when you can't use your regular home setup.

Huge number of commenters in here just ignoring that completely and going on about how it's better to just use your home setup...*facepalms*

Last edited:

Fat Frog

When will I learn. These new ways are so much better.

When will Netflix have Star wars, by the way? I hope Sony will let me play the original Wipeouts and Project overkill on my PS5, Cant wait till Brute force is BC

The future looks good though. Seems to be getting better by the minute.
You're missing something.

We're not an all for streaming generation...
Of course, sub like Prime, Disney +, Netflix are convenient but they are not the Alpha and Omega of streaming: You can also buy movies.

As for your Star Wars example:
Who said we only need subscription ?
(personal note: I hate netflix for its propaganda, price and crappy anime remakes)
Do we need a full blue ray collectors either ?

Star Wars
Ep I > trash
Ep II > So so
Ep III > Enjoyed it but i would be ok to only buy it on sales on streaming stores.
Ep IV > Ok. I would watch it on Disney + but i won't die if unavailable on sub.
Ep V > LOVE IT. I WOULD BUY THE JAPANESE BLUERAY AT FULL PRICE.
(if it uses the 1980 local poster)
Ep VI > Guilty pleasure but i don't need physical for this one.

Conclusion: It's not forbidden to mix streaming and physical. Everybody loves beautiful box art... (but do we need hundreds of useless DVDs)
noriyoshi-ohrai-movie-posters-9-676x957.jpg

A blue ray like this ? INSTA BUY, BITCHES ! 🤩

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Just like every physical copy you have, they are just a license. And of course there can be value, what your saying is absurd.

Do you see value in:

Eating a cheeseburger?
Having a nice meal?
Going to a hockey game?
Going to a movie?
Visiting a theme park?
Traveling to a other countries?
Watching a show on TV?
Going on a cruise?

But how can there be value in any of these, you don't own any of them?

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
You can't really explain it to people.. its something you need to try and see for yourself.

It still feels weird to just click and play a AAA title in a browser .. no download, no installation, no hassle at all, and you start where you left off on your local machine. Its a bit of a magic trick.
It also feels weird when you hit a button and it takes milliseconds more to do the action on screen. 60fps game with 15fps controller response times… amazing!

In all seriousness though it works well for some games (slower paced games) but you feel it’s limitations on more twitch based action games like Halo, Forza and Gears. I have 500 down / 200 up internet too.

Fat Frog

It also feels weird when you hit a button and it takes milliseconds more to do the action on screen. 60fps game with 15fps controller response times… amazing!

In all seriousness though it works well for some games (slower paced games) but you feel it’s limitations on more twitch based action games like Halo, Forza and Gears. I have 500 down / 200 up internet too.
16y7lgtala041.png

Xcloud maybe, but on Stadia/GFN 3080 the input lag is most of the time pretty low.

In addition, even if you don't find them satisfying right now, their tech will improve, newdata centers will open closer to your home (reducing distance, latency even further).

Most VG outlets don't like Stadia for political reasons but most of them admit the new GFN 3080 tier is awesome regarding input lag (Stadia is very close but they want the service dead which is logical : The old world was Youtube trailer > Video game websites > player. What Stadia was promising was Youtube trailer > direct link with the players with click to play feature... Video games websites were seeing the stadia click to play as a threat for their jobs. On the other hand, a struggling Stadia is a relief for them.)

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I'm not into the whole gamepass shit, but I love in home game streaming with my own hardware. When you have a family and you don't wanna take over the TV room it's nice to be able to play games portably around the house and in bed. Streaming surprisingly is lag free for me.

MrFunSocks

Banned
16y7lgtala041.png

Xcloud maybe, but on Stadia/GFN 3080 the input lag is most of the time pretty low.

In addition, even if you don't find them satisfying right now, their tech will improve, newdata centers will open closer to your home (reducing distance, latency even further).

Most VG outlets don't like Stadia for political reasons but most of them admit the new GFN 3080 tier is awesome regarding input lag (Stadia is very close but they want the service dead which is logical : The old world was Youtube trailer > Video game websites > player. What Stadia was promising was Youtube trailer > direct link with the players with click to play feature... Video games websites were seeing the stadia click to play as a threat for their jobs. On the other hand, a struggling Stadia is a relief for them.)
There’s no way xcloud has half a second of input lag lol. That might have been true back when it was first in trials but it definitely isn’t now.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
16y7lgtala041.png

Well done. You picked perhaps the most sluggish and unresponsive AAA shooter ever for your single example.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Just like every physical copy you have, they are just a license. And of course there can be value, what your saying is absurd.

Do you see value in:

Eating a cheeseburger?
Having a nice meal?
Going to a hockey game?
Going to a movie?
Visiting a theme park?
Traveling to a other countries?
Watching a show on TV?
Going on a cruise?

But how can there be value in any of these, you don't own any of them?
You must be right then. From now on i'll not like buying things to own

Thanks for the help.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You must be right then. From now on i'll not like buying things to own

Thanks for the help.

Oh the 5yo throw up hands since you have no real counter point, nicely done.

So basically you have no response whatsoever to the idea that things can have value if you don't own them?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Then you wouldn't have a dick anymore. We need those bro!
Season 2 Dancing GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

We'll see in a few years. We might even see it this gen.

If Microsoft grew some balls and paid publishers to have all thier games release on Gamepass day one, plus with a guarantee those games will never leave the service, then that would make tens of millions of people go GP only. If Sony then followed up with the same service, then we have a subscription/streaming only future next gen.

My dick is safe.

I certainly get enough value from PC Game Pass, PlayStation Now, GeForce Now, Epic Games, Steam. Every license that I ever purchased from these storefronts, every hour that I ever spent using these streaming services is giving or has given at least some contribution to my overall amount of happiness, because what do I really own in this life besides my character? Nothing. This phone that I have with me, owning it doesn't mean that someone can't take it away from me, which is why I believe that we should focus on the end result of these products, which are the feelings and emotions and countless amounts of threads on NeoGAF praising some things about video games and the industry in general which allow us to engage in these kinds of discussions.

Fat Frog

There’s no way xcloud has half a second of input lag lol. That might have been true back when it was first in trials but it definitely isn’t now.
The DF results are not about Xcloud but local xbox one X. It was just to demonstrate local gaming is not always above cloud gaming... it depends of the hardware, FPS and many other factors.

12Dannu123

Cloud gaming will never replace gaming on a dedicated system.
It has its uses though like when travelling.

Saying 'never' is an ignorant thing to say when Cloud gaming only started to pick up steam in 2020. It might not replace a dedicated system for hardcore gamers. But for casual players, Cloud gaming only needs to be 'good enough' to be mainstream. History has told us that connivence trumps quality.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Saying 'never' is an ignorant thing to say when Cloud gaming only started to pick up steam in 2020. It might not replace a dedicated system for hardcore gamers. But for casual players, Cloud gaming only needs to be 'good enough' to be mainstream. History has told us that connivence trumps quality.
Exactly. I, as a “hardcore gamer” (lol I hate that term), would probably buy 2-3 $100 cloud gaming Xbox sticks for around my house. The convenience is amazing, and the quality at least with my network setup and internet speeds is almost indistinguishable from local.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
OP "finally" sees the value because MS started doing it. You can do that with remote play or PS Now for years + GeForce and Stadia.

You never see any threads about it tho. How strange.
And that's because the Ms. Azure cloud has more locations than what PS Now and GeForce Now have, and that has a great impact in latency.

MrFunSocks

Banned
And that's because the Ms. Azure cloud has more locations than what PS Now and GeForce Now have, and that has a great impact in latency.
Not to mention it makes it available in more countries. Here in Australia xcloud is amazing because we have like 3 azure data centres, whereas ps now still isn’t even available. There is also the fact that xcloud just got given to every single game pass ultimate member for “free” right before Christmas, so is it surprising that more people are talking about it than PS Now and GeForce Now?

DrAspirino

Banned
Now, what I've done when I had to travel for work reasons, was mount a VPN at home (yes, I have a DD-WRT firmware on my router), and then directly connect to that VPN from my laptop. Once inside my home VPN, I simply used the Xbox remote play app and bam! "cloud gaming" with a ridiculously low latency (granted, I could only access the games I had installed on my xbox hard drive) and continuing them where I left them.

It wasn't the most elegant solution by far, but it worked and served me well.

I must say though that I had (and currently have) symetric fiber at home (600 mbps currently) and my country's (Chile) internet infrastructure is actually quite nice (for a 3rd world country, that is). It's nowhere near as fast as Japan or Europe (or even USA), but it's sufficient for gaming.

V4skunk

Banned
It won't ever replace dedicated gaming systems deal with it.
Like I said it has its niche though like for travelling and using your phone to stream.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It won't ever replace dedicated gaming systems deal with it.
Like I said it has its niche though like for travelling and using your phone to stream.
It will never replace dedicated gaming systems, but it will absolutely be a viable alternative competing with them.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Possible, but that will be in 100-200 years. The vast majority of the world's internet infrastructure can't handle it. Hell, most 1st world nations can barely manage it in their largest cities.
Lol no, It’s a viable option for lots of people right now. All you need is a data centre within a few thousand kilometres and *ok* internet.

I live in Australia, land of the shitty Internet infrastructure, and even I can use it and it’s amazing. Dedicated video game consoles as they are now likely won’t exist in 100 years anyway lol. That’s a ridiculous claim that it would take that long. Most of the video game playing world is in the USA, and streaming only can take hold there in the next few years.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lol no, It’s a viable option for lots of people right now. All you need is a data centre within a few thousand kilometres and *ok* internet.

I live in Australia, land of the shitty Internet infrastructure, and even I can use it and it’s amazing. Dedicated video game consoles as they are now likely won’t exist in 100 years anyway lol. That’s a ridiculous claim that it would take that long. Most of the video game playing world is in the USA, and streaming only can take hold there in the next few years.

Your ignorance of the world's internet infrastructure is not surprising.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Your ignorance of the world's internet infrastructure is not surprising.
hahaha well that's one way of dismissing something you don't agree with.

Like I said, "the world" isn't what matters in terms of cloud streaming for video games becoming a viable alternative. North America alone is 50%+ of the video game market, and most of america has more than good enough internet speeds to stream video and send a few bits of data for the input stream. Again - Australian here, I know a *lot* about shitting internet infrastructure.

Have you actually got any good arguments or just gonna be childish?

V4skunk

Banned

You are deluded if you think most of the video gameplaying world is in the US.

Ryu Kaiba

We'll see in a few years. We might even see it this gen.

If Microsoft grew some balls and paid publishers to have all thier games release on Gamepass day one, plus with a guarantee those games will never leave the service, then that would make tens of millions of people go GP only. If Sony then followed up with the same service, then we have a subscription/streaming only future next gen.

My dick is safe.
They would go bankrupt or need to raise the price to $250 a month per person, that's so dumb.
There's a slim chance that next-gen consoles are digital download only but streaming only? out of your mind.

Chukhopops

Possible, but that will be in 100-200 years. The vast majority of the world's internet infrastructure can't handle it. Hell, most 1st world nations can barely manage it in their largest cities.
You think it will take 100-200 years for the « vast majority » (let’s say 80%) of the world’s population to have access to Fiber or 5G?

Fat Frog

You think it will take 100-200 years for the « vast majority » (let’s say 80%) of the world’s population to have access to Fiber or 5G?
Plus, the world only needs 20mb stable internet for 1080p...

For poor countries, there is only two choices:

- Cloud gaming.(many have more than 20mbps)
- Nothing or old consoles because next gen are far too expensive.

Agent X

Knock a zero off of those figures. I'd say in 10-20 years, there should be enough data centers to make it a viable option for most of the world.

The biggest issue that affects streaming video game services is the proximity to the server, even more so than the speed (though that is also an issue). The reason for that is because it takes time for your control inputs to travel to the server, so that they can be interpreted and processed (which also takes time). This isn't a problem with streaming video or music, since they don't rely on user interaction. Action-oriented video games need quick responses in order to be fully enjoyable.

I estimate that you need to have a reliable high-speed connection within 50 miles (80 km) of the server, in order to have a game experience that is nearly indistinguishable from your local console. Most people don't have that now, which is why some users have poor experiences with streaming games, even with an excellent Internet connection. Fortunately, a lot of companies seem to be investing in developing cloud services. That's why I believe this situation should improve dramatically over the next 10-20 years.

kingfey

Banned
20 years ago, we didnt have 10mb internet connection. Right now we have 1gb for regular people.

Unless you live in a rock, and consider everyone has internet which cant handle cloud games. Even freaking mobile phones can handle it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
As someone who are using local high end PC gaming a lot, the flaws of cloud gaming are pretty damn noticeable when using the service. It's a decent supplement for sure, especially on mobile where local games sucks.

Ozriel

M$FT
Kinda wish I got paid for finishing The Gunk

Eh, the beauty of Gamepass means you can easily move on to something else that's more your taste.

it could be worse. I know people who spent $70 buying Godfall last year. Never getting that money back, that's for sure.

Top Bottom