• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like the Xbox Series S is a waste of time & I don't understand why Microsoft made such a console like the Series S.

Kataploom

Gold Member
U have heard of xbox one x right🤣
X1X is actually not in the same ballpark, just can do superior resolution but there are many things for next gen that only S can do between both.

BTW, I don't know if I want to get an S yet, I think they can be found around me but the fact that it runs Xbone profile for games puts me off since next gen is not here yet. I don't need 4K BTW, I just want some machine for third parties that is not my PC since I want it solely for working.

Are there any other improvements apart from more consistent framerate and AF for BC games?

Thread has made me realise I really want the series S.

I have a 4k TV with series x downstairs and a 1080p TV in my bedroom. I'm not about to buy a new TV to get the benefits of 4k series x console.... Just so I can play in my bedroom

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
Everyone knows that Xbox is a US brand, and has never done that well in Europe (outside of the UK, and UK support has softened over the last generation as well). If you want to use sales as a barometer of interest, the US is the only market that matters for Xbox. Both boxes are selling every unit stocked in minutes. I know this because I've been trying to snag one and can't. LOL

The fate of the Series S will be decided when the next-gen only games arrive. How well does the system hold up, what are the differences, etc.

NPD which is US based, has the Series X/S consoles launching down on 2013's XB1.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Thread has made me realise I really want the series S.

I have a 4k TV with series x downstairs and a 1080p TV in my bedroom. I'm not about to buy a new TV to get the benefits of 4k series x console.... Just so I can play in my bedroom
Even on a 1080p TV you would get better IQ (visuals downsampled from 4K to 1080p for many games), better textures, better effects, and for the games that would drop below 4K on XSX and thus below 1080p on XSS (think some heavy 120 FPS optimised scenario for example) you would get at least native 1080p (or close to it) to match your TV resolution.

Problem is price sure, but a $399 Digital Only XSX would have fit the bill.

Xbox series s can handle all of the new next gen games, it just need to lower the resolution to 1080 - 1440p. There is a lot of people who can't even tell much of a difference between 1080p and 4k anyways.
Yeh which next gen game is this, all games so far have been last gen or cross gen games, jury is out if it can handle true next gen games, its a big risk buying this junk, just save up to buy a ps5, or if ur a xbox fan a xsx.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
you can go into any store in Sweden and find a Series S on the shelf and its been this way for at least 2 weeks now. Series X and PS5 on the other hand is all sold out.

Alebrije

Xbox series s can handle all of the new next gen games, it just need to lower the resolution to 1080 - 1440p. There is a lot of people who can't even tell much of a difference between 1080p and 4k anyways.

Lets see how it handles next gen games , will be lucky if can maintain 720p 60 fps with ray tracing and all the extra jingles...

The best argument (someone above wrote it )to get it is if you have a PS5 as a main console and want to play Microsoft exclusives like Fallout 5....

But if you are looking for a main console better save 100 extra bucks and get a PS5 digital once is avaliable.

Yeh which next gen game is this, all games so far have been last gen or cross gen games, jury is out if it can handle true next gen games, its a big risk buying think this junk, just save up to buy a ps5, or if ur a xbox fan a xsx.
Lol, you think Microsoft a trillion dollar company didn't do any research or go to any of the AAA third party publishers (there is only a handful of them) and ask if they made this console will they support it for the next 5 to 6 years? You can't be this naive. Not to mention the xbox series s going by steam stats is more powerful than a lot of pcs.

Last edited:

JaseMath

I feel like it’s a way to phase out the Xbox One brand and that’s it. The only thing more appealing than the S versus the X is the color.

Caio

XSS should never happen, another big mistake by Microsoft, only second to Kinect2 included in every box when XBox One was released. It's extra job for the developers, and so underpowered for a Next Gen Console that people shoudn't even call it a next gen console.
I would rather buy a PC just to not waste my money for that thing. You will see when multiplatform games will be more and more demanding, the XSS will look like a toy.

XSS should never happen, another big mistake by Microsoft, only second to Kinect2 included in every box when XBox One was released. It's extra job for the developers, and so underpowered for a Next Gen Console that people shoudn't even call it a next gen console.
I would rather buy a PC just to not waste my money for that thing. You will see when multiplatform games will be more and more demanding, the XSS will look like a toy.
Okay, so your opinion vs a trillion dollar company with a lot of research and development. Game engines are very scalable in today's day and age so it isn't that much more work for devs. People are fine with nintendo switch ports so I can't see them being upset at xbox series s. Especially when the console gets to that 200 dollar price point in a few years.

What people on this forum forget is there are a lot of consumers out there who don't care about resolution / ray tracing. All they want to be able to do is play all the new games at a cheaper price and that is what xbox series s is able to do. Not only saving money on the hardware front, but on the software front with xbox game pass.

Last edited:

Caio

Okay, so your opinion vs a trillion dollar company with a lot of research and development. Game engines are very scalable in today's day and age so it isn't that much more work. People are fine with nintendo switch ports so I can't see them being update at xbox series s ports especially when the console gets to that 200 dollar price point in a few years.

A trillion dollar Company can still do mistakes. Caught XBox One at launch strategy Caught. Also Sony were not very smart with PS3, they suffered a lot for 3 years! Big Companies can still do mistakes or take wrong decisions.

I think XSS is a parking brake for XSX and for the entire industry.

A trillion dollar Company can still do mistakes. Caught XBox One at launch strategy Caught. Also Sony were not very smart with PS3, they suffered a lot for 3 years! Big Companies can still do mistakes or take wrong decisions.

I think XSS is a parking brake for XSX and for the entire industry.
Of course they can all make mistakes, but people on this forum aren't providing any evidence for the xbox series s being a mistake other than assumptions and acting like Microsoft didn't put any thought into this.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
Is that because MS had less consoles to sell this time around or because there’s stock sitting on shelves everywhere in the US?
All I can tell you is that Microsoft is the richest company in the world and are very efficient when it comes to manufacturing. If you juxtapose that fact with the fact that all sales data from France, SPain, germany, Italy, and the US shows them down on 2013's X1 launch. If you think that's down to manufacturing then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

DaGwaphics

It's selling out, whether it launched down is irrelevant, Xbox are literally selling every unit they manufacture.

But then, you knew that, didn't you?
IKR, They've already said they were late to production, there just wasn't going to be as many units available this time around. Plus, you have to figure MS was more confident in the X1 launch (coming off the 360 gen) than the series launch following up X1. But, MS doesn't release sales data so the NPD is shooting in the dark to begin with, they don't get sales data from every retailer or direct sales from MS. 🤷‍♂️

Add to that that MS has already stated this was their biggest launch (their first global, or near global launch) and Rolla becomes a desperate fanboy spitting hot air. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
IKR, They've already said they were late to production, there just wasn't going to be as many units available this time around. Plus, you have to figure MS was more confident in the X1 launch (coming off the 360 gen) than the series launch following up X1. But, MS doesn't release sales data so the NPD is shooting in the dark to begin with, they don't get sales data from every retailer or direct sales from MS. 🤷‍♂️

Add to that that MS has already stated this was their biggest launch (their first global, or near global launch) and Rolla becomes a desperate fanboy spitting hot air. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Actual sales data becomes hot air if it counters your point? Really?

In comparison to the XBO launch, Series S/X launched down in every major market we get sales data from. Launching in "more" markets doesn't negate the fact that S/X was down in all of their established markets except for here in the UK where they were up 5K.

If you say that that's down to manufacturing then we can agree to disagree on that particular point. But what we can't do is dismiss fact when it doesn't suit our point of view.

All I can tell you is that Microsoft is the richest company in the world and are very efficient when it comes to manufacturing. If you juxtapose that fact with the fact that all sales data from France, SPain, germany, Italy, and the US shows them down on 2013's X1 launch. If you think that's down to manufacturing then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You know that MS is not alone when manufacturing the Series consoles? That TSMC has some difficulties to provide enough chips for them, but also for Sony and AMD ?

DaGwaphics

Actual sales data becomes hot air if it counters your point? Really?

In comparison to the XBO launch, Series S/X launched down in every major market we get sales data from. Launching in "more" markets doesn't negate the fact that S/X was down in all of their established markets except for here in the UK where they were up 5K.

If you say that that's down to manufacturing then we can agree to disagree on that particular point. But what we can't do is dismiss fact when it doesn't suit our point of view.

If you don't think launching in more markets simultaneously (IE less units available per market) will alter these numbers, that's a fault of your local education system and not something to discuss here. But, when you can provide solid data for ALL of the markets the console was released in and can refute MS's own statements with credible evidence, we'll talk. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Its lame to hear over and over and over again the lame duck arguement that series s drags down next gen somehow. Its ok that 98% of these games have to support pc specs in thousands of combinations from the last 7 years or two even older consoles, and or the ps4 pro and xbox one x, but somehow one closed system architechture drags it down?

Just let it go.

I_D

Its lame to hear over and over and over again the lame duck arguement that series s drags down next gen somehow. Its ok that 98% of these games have to support pc specs in thousands of combinations from the last 7 years or two even older consoles, and or the ps4 pro and xbox one x, but somehow one closed system architechture drags it down?

Just let it go.

That's not really the point.
A new console is supposed to bring in a new era of hardware.

Having anything less than the best is automatically a downgrade from what it could have been.
The Series S is better than the Xbox One/Switch/PS4/etc. sure but it still forces developers to cater to a hardware level less than exemplary, which defeats the point of maxing out new hardware.

Using old PC hardware as an excuse isn't really relevant. Current games are held back by older hardware, sure, but the point is that a new console should be as powerful as possible so that boundaries can be pushed for years to come. Starting out of the gate with crippled hardware defeats that whole purpose.

Microsoft also did release an Xbox 360 without any hard drive to speak of, so it's pretty clear they have no idea what they're doing when it comes to SKUs.
But, if memory serves, that SKU was essentially ignored by the time the X360's lifespan ended, so hopefully that will happen again with the Series S.

Last edited:

Having anything less than the best is automatically a downgrade from what it could have been.
The Series S is better than the Xbox One/Switch/PS4/etc. sure but it still forces developers to cater to a hardware level less than exemplary, which defeats the point of maxing out new hardware.

Using old PC hardware as an excuse isn't really relevant. Current games are held back by older hardware, sure, but the point is that a new console should be as powerful as possible so that boundaries can be pushed for years to come. Starting out of the gate with crippled hardware defeats that whole purpose.

Microsoft also did release an Xbox 360 without any hard drive to speak of, so it's pretty clear they have no idea what they're doing when it comes to SKUs.
But, if memory serves, that SKU was essentially ignored by the time the X360's lifespan ended, so hopefully that will happen again with the Series S.
Outside of GPU, xbox series s in on par with the other next gen consoles. Just lower the resolution and remove ray tracing for xbox series s if you have to get it to run. No different from what PC gamers with low end /budget specs been doing for years. Developers can still make the games around the latest gaming PC hardware and down scale it for the consoles/low end PCs.I don't know why so many people are against a cheaper console that isn't trying to do 4k. In fact, if you're a playstation person I could imagine you buying the console once the big exclusive games drop like Halo infinite, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Gears 6, Forza Horizon and more.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

There are people who don't care about 4k or even 1440p and are perfectly fine with software running at 1080p or even 900p. XSX is getting software in line with the PS5 versions, so devs are clearly optimizing for XSX and just giving XSS the "best effort" profile (I think they've been doing a really nice job so far). As a result, I'm not sure how you figure the XSS is effecting anything. Just don't get one. LOL

Last edited:

I_D

Outside of GPU, xbox series s in on par with the other next gen consoles. Just lower the resolution and remove ray tracing for xbox series s if you have to get it to run. No different from what PC gamers with low end /budget specs been doing for years. Developers can still make the games around the latest gaming PC hardware and down scale it for the consoles/low end PCs.I don't know why so many people are against a cheaper console that isn't trying to do 4k. In fact, if you're a playstation person I could imagine you buying the console once the big exclusive games drop like Halo infinite, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Gears 6, Forza Horizon and more.

Any lesser part at all, much less something as important as a GPU, immediately limits developers from fully taking advantage of the more-powerful system's hardware.
I mean, technically, developers can still put 100% into the more-powerful system; but, realistically, that won't happen. Developing for two systems is inherently more demanding (and costly) than for just one system. This is on top of already trying to make multi-platform games, which already requires time, effort, and money from developers.

That's the problem with the Series S. It limits budgets, which, in turn, limits games.

There are people who don't care about 4k or even 1440p and are perfectly fine with software running at 1080p or even 900p. XSX is getting software in line with the PS5 versions, so devs are clearly optimizing for XSX and just giving XSS the "best effort" profile (I think they've been doing a really nice job so far). As a result, I'm not sure how you figure the XSS is effecting anything. Just don't get one. LOL

The "best effort profile" requires time which could be spent elsewhere if the Series S didn't exist. That's why it's inherently detracting from the overall game-quality.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Any lesser part at all, much less something as important as a GPU, immediately limits developers from fully taking advantage of the more-powerful system's hardware.
I mean, technically, developers can still put 100% into the more-powerful system; but, realistically, that won't happen. Developing for two systems is inherently more demanding (and costly) than for just one system. This is on top of already trying to make multi-platform games, which already requires time, effort, and money from developers.

That's the problem with the Series S. It limits budgets, which, in turn, limits games.

The "best effort profile" requires time which could be spent elsewhere if the Series S didn't exist. That's why it's inherently detracting from the overall game-quality.
The "best effort" profile would need to exist anyway, as the PC space requires options. That's where this glass house falls down.

Basically, you're saying that Sony exclusives (the only games developed that don't already figure in hundreds of hardware combinations) will be hampered by the XSS, which doesn't appear realistic.

Oh no, the developers have to change the config file to tell the game to run at 1080p resolution and might need to set ray tracing to false. Two whole lines of text, how will they ever manage.

DaGwaphics

Oh no, the developers have to change the config file to tell the game to run at 1080p resolution and might need to set ray tracing to false. Two whole lines of text, how will they ever manage.

In all honesty, the systems are using different filter and texture settings with a bunch of other differences too (if the WD Legion leaked configs are anything to go by), but this is work that would already be done anyway. I would think they do have to play test everything for the new profile as well, since they are trying to get a stable final result. But it's not earth shattering stuff. I'm sure they've been play testing against mid to low-end PC parts anyway, just because the game that is playable only on that $1500 GPU isn't going to sell many copies.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Ok I‘ll bite, if it’s not manufacturing what is it?

You can’t find them on the shelf, so do they have Bomb shelter full of unsold consoles? Since they are manufacturing more and selling less according to you?

Last edited:

acm2000

I see Sony fanboys are still trying to slate the series s by saying people should spend more and get ps5de, 99% of people considering a series s want an Xbox due to already being in the ecosystem and that's where their friends are, thus have NO interest in a PlayStation, that's the entire market its aimed at.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
NPD which is US based, has the Series X/S consoles launching down on 2013's XB1.
Due to not shipping as many units. It completely sold out in the USA. Can’t sell what you don’t have. Or do you think that they intentionally made less than they could have?

I guess the 3060/3070 etc are pointless and shouldn’t exist. All they do is hold developers back. Why doesn’t anyone buying one just spend the extra and get the 3080?

Sony boys are rocked by the Series S for some reasons. Probably scared that it could take people away from the PlayStation consoles when Zenimax and MS Studios start pumping out the exclusives.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Due to not shipping as many units. It completely sold out in the USA. Can’t sell what you don’t have. Or do you think that they intentionally made less than they could have?
Launch numbers never tell or show the full story. We'll have to wait 2-3 years to see the story unfold. Normal and plenty of stock, actual interest, etc.

Kagey K

Banned
I’ll be honest he seems to be hinting a conspiracy, but doesn’t want to say it.

MS sold less, and not because of manufacturing, because at this point of time they will sell all the consoles they could make, it’s something more sinister.....

Kagey K

Banned
Just say what you want to say...

If it’s not manufacturing what is it?

Put your facts down that show it as not manufacturing and something more.....

Or shut the fuck about it forever.

You cant cry FUD while spreading it.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It’s not that they have manufacturing issues, they’ve said that they waited on some last minute AMD tech that made the manufacturing start later than they had preferred, initially it’ll obviously result in lower sales numbers but I’m sure things will look better later on.

Rolla

Banned
Ok I‘ll bite, if it’s not manufacturing what is it?

You can’t find them on the shelf, so do they have Bomb shelter full of unsold consoles? Since they are manufacturing more and selling less according to you?

Just say what you want to say...

If it’s not manufacturing what is it?

Put your facts down that show it as not manufacturing and something more.....

Or shut the fuck about it forever.

You cant cry FUD while spreading it.

What's crazy to me is that when you disagree with a few specific people on gaf they start throwing insults and try cursing you out. I just spent Xmas with people I love and adore. Cursing people out "online" over what is essentially components cased in plastic that do computational math at high speed, isn't what I come to gaf for. In short if you continue to push the discourse in that direction I'll block you.

That aside, my original point was that the Series S lacks identity and I still believe that. Yes, XBOX sold more units at launch as they launched in more markets. That's a good thing. Pointing out the fact that in established markets XBOX launch numbers are down in comparison to the XB1, is factual. That was confirmed by NPD and other relevant EU/Worldwide sales numbers via threads right here on gaf. That's not fud. That's actual sales data. Released by the same companies/sites over the course of generations. Both weekly and monthly.

We can disagree and still be respectful. I'm happy to have the conversation.

MrFunSocks

Banned
What's crazy to me is that when you disagree with a few specific people on gaf they start throwing insults and try cursing you out. I just spent Xmas with people I love and adore. Cursing people out "online" over what is essentially components cased in plastic that do computational math at high speed, isn't what I come to gaf for. In short if you continue to push the discourse in that direction I'll block you.

That aside, my original point was that the Series S lacks identity and I still believe that. Yes, XBOX sold more units at launch as they launched in more markets. That's a good thing. Pointing out the fact that in established markets XBOX launch numbers are down in comparison to the XB1, is factual. That was confirmed by NPD and other relevant EU/Worldwide sales numbers via threads right here on gaf. That's not fud. That's actual sales data. Released by the same companies/sites over the course of generations. Both weekly and monthly.

We can disagree and still be respectful. I'm happy to have the conversation.
With that tag we all know you don’t want to have a respectful conversation lol. You want to bag Microsoft and Xbox.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Because it's Microsoft.

Aidah

With how it turned out, I don't think the Series S may be worth its trouble. Although I'll say even Series X doesn't immediately feel like a new experience, so naturally Series S will feel even less so.

The console is below the bang-for-buck sweet spot and It creates another (heavily cut back and potentially too limiting) SKU for devs to worry about and have to make time for. All for a very small saving over the course of a generation, particularly compared to a possible alternative strategy of a $399 discless Series X.

Let's see how it does. It's true people like cheaper stuff, but not when they perceive it as being too butchered. If this thing doesn't end up accomplishing its goal, it'll just be a mistake that weigh Xbox and devs down for the entire generation for no reason at all, and that sounds trash.

Last edited:

kyussman

I've not owned an Xbox since the OG console.....if I do get one in the next few years it will certainly be the Series X though,I've zero interest in the S model.
Will be interesting to see how the sales split goes between X and S.

Top Bottom