• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like the Xbox Series S is a waste of time & I don't understand why Microsoft made such a console like the Series S.

Derktron

Banned
Let me be clear, I'm in no way hating on Microsoft or the console I'm just stating my own opinion on what I experienced from using the console for a couple of months.

For me, the console feels like any other Xbox system that has been out when it comes to the Xbox One. It feels just like the Xbox One and plays like it too. I don't see any difference in performance and visuals, maybe that's because I still don't have a 4KTV yet maybe that's the main issue I'm having but let me be clear. If that's the case then I don't find it fair to those who still haven't upgrade yet to 4K. I thought the Series S was meant for both 1080p and 4K tv and monitors. I played games that are meant for "next-gen" and I don't see anything brand new, not even 60fps. I can understand the lack of 120Fps because you are supposed to have a tv or monitor that supports 120hz. Even my gaming PC does that, in order for me to see beyond 120fps, I have to activate 144hz which is what my monitor has running.

I don't know maybe I'm doing it wrong and really need to upgrade but I feel like having the Series S is a waste of time and I don't understand why Microsoft made it. Hardly anyone talks about it and that to me is a big turn off because it feels like I made a mistake in buying it.

Razvedka

Banned
They wanted to pull more people into their ecosystem, which is rapidly progressing to a GaaS type model via gamepass. To their mind, if they came in lower than Sony while still offering a roughly identical 'next gen' experience as the Series X but targeting 1080p then it would make sense.

The interesting play here was Sony slashing the price of the PS5 digital model by $100, so its now much closer to the XSS in terms of price while still being the equal of XSX. So its a bunch of chess between Sony and MS, moves and counter moves, while also eyeballing other objectives. The Gamepass emphasis on the part of Microsoft is a different business direction than the one Sony is currently pursuing for example.

Last edited:
It's a cheaper option for those who can't afford anything more and still provides very good value with Game Pass. You have to realize not everyone is like us on the people on NeoGaf who are hardcore gamers and know ins and outs of the industry. Some people barely notice difference between 1080p and 4K. They just want to play the god damn games at a good price. It's very simple, casual market is is where the $ is at.

Let me be clear, I'm in no way hating on Microsoft or the console I'm just stating my own opinion on what I experienced from using the console for a couple of months.

For me, the console feels like any other Xbox system that has been out when it comes to the Xbox One. It feels just like the Xbox One and plays like it too. I don't see any difference in performance and visuals, maybe that's because I still don't have a 4KTV yet maybe that's the main issue I'm having but let me be clear. If that's the case then I don't find it fair to those who still haven't upgrade yet to 4K. I thought the Series S was meant for both 1080p and 4K tv and monitors. I played games that are meant for "next-gen" and I don't see anything brand new, not even 60fps. I can understand the lack of 120Fps because you are supposed to have a tv or monitor that supports 120hz. Even my gaming PC does that, in order for me to see beyond 120fps, I have to activate 144hz which is what my monitor has running.

I don't know maybe I'm doing it wrong and really need to upgrade but I feel like having the Series S is a waste of time and I don't understand why Microsoft made it. Hardly anyone talks about it and that to me is a big turn off because it feels like I made a mistake in buying it.
I think it's only purpose is to have a cheap entry in the "next gen" console space. I think it has some use cases; secondary console, 1080p monitor/tv crowd, game pass machine, and kids. I don't think it's a good value however when the PS5 Digital is only $100 and much more powerful, and has a semi-useable hard drive. It does get you next gen features like the SSD, not shit CPU, and high framerates (on what is likely to be very few games). I think most people would be better off buying a Series X and waiting until they can save the extra money.

On the subject of the bolded, the Series S isn't meant for 4K displays at all. It's a 1080p console "disguised" as a 1440p console.

It's a cheaper option for those who can't afford anything more and still provides very good value with Game Pass. You have to realize not everyone is like us on the people on NeoGaf who are hardcore gamers and know ins and outs of the industry. Some people barely notice difference between 1080p and 4K. They just want to play the god damn games at a good price. It's very simple, casual market is is where the $ is at.
Except it's not selling well at all.

//DEVIL//

I actually like it for my son and me sometimes if i wanna play with him and the wife.

its a cheap console ( will to be honest i got it for around 220US tax included ) that plays all upcoming next gen games upscaled to 4k on my tv. why complain ? for casual gaming or for kids or young adult its a perfect system when its with game pass.

x@3f*oo_e!

I thought the Series S was meant for both 1080p and 4K tv and monitors
Nope - it's the 1080p box, Series X for 4K - should be similar otherwise, at least in terms of gameplay. It don't do 4k (but a 4k tv will try to upscale)

I played games that are meant for "next-gen" and I don't see anything brand new, not even 60fps.
4k and 60 fps stole next-gen's lunch ..

Remember when Mark Cerny said 8 TFLOPS is needed for true 4K gaming. That was during last gen when AAA games were 90% 30fps. Now people expected 60 so double that to 16TFLOPS.. Add checkerboard/upscale/variable_rate_shading to get that back down to ~10TFLOPS and there's no horsepower left over for new games. Similar for CPU - they have 4x power, but half of that could be lost to doubling frame rate..

tldr - I dunno if you have one, but I'd guess a Series X would feel that much better, unless the extra sharpness and slightly better reflections makes a huge difference to you.

It's early days though.

Last edited:
It’s bad for enthusiasts, because it holds back the series x to some degree and puts more work on the developers.

But these corporations are pushing downloads and streaming hard, they know the masses will eat it up eventually, and take over physical sales. Then bam, no more physical.

the series s is just a stepping stone.

Last edited:

AnotherOne

dog day afternoon sigh GIF

tillbot8

Banned
It has it's purpose for a specific demographic. The argument is was that demographic ever going to be anything other then tiny or region specific? And was that worth stretching the developers time to accommodate that probable small sliver of the market? To quote my 8ball 'Outlook looks bleak'

I don't think it's useless. Yesterday I visited a buddy and since his son is off until jan 4th I gave him my XSX to play because I'm not right now and he has an original xbone. His tv can't handle 4k or HDR or I'm even doubting watching it 1080p in 60fps.

Lots of those people out there.

magaman

Banned
Not useless at all. It's a mouse trap, and it convinces people that it'll provide them the next-gen experience at a low price.

Otherwise, yes, it's bad news for gamers because games are built against the lowest common denominator. If you think the Series S won't hold back the Series X, you're sorely mistaken. Developers will now have to make sure that whatever works on big brother (X) will also work on little brother (S) too.

It takes time, effort, and energy for this to happen. It's not a flick of a switch.

OP - You say you don't notice performance improvements but doesn't the Series S load games MUCH faster than Xbox One, and hold framerates much more consistently?

I have never used Series S but I thought a few analysis breakdowns did show it offered marked improvements over Xbox One in a few areas, or no? I think there is one game that offers Ray Tracing on the S, but I don't remember which.

it should be 199

Bingo.

The issue with the Series S is that it is only 100 bucks cheaper than the PS5 DE, which is significantly more capable/powerful/valuable. (edit: someone correct me if I am wrong, as I failed high school algebra 3x, but comparing XsS to PS5 DE ends up like: 25 percent cheaper price tag but 2.5x less GPU power, less RAM, 50% less SSD space, 50% slower SSD, 35% less RAM, assuming I am correct then it is hard to find the value proposition, even with the excellent Game Pass library)

If not $199, then $249 at the most.

In hindsight, I wonder if MS wishes they had just done a discless XsX and not gone with two polarized SKUs in terms of power/performance. edit: Or, at least made the Series S more powerful, closer to 8TF instead of 4.

Last edited:

truth411

They wanted to pull more people into their ecosystem, which is rapidly progressing to a GaaS type model via gamepass. To their mind, if they came in lower than Sony while still offering a roughly identical 'next gen' experience as the Series X but targeting 1080p then it would make sense.

The interesting play here was Sony slashing the price of the PS5 digital model by $100, so its now much closer to the XSS in terms of price while still being the equal of XSX. So its a bunch of chess between Sony and MS, moves and counter moves, while also eyeballing other objectives. The Gamepass emphasis on the part of Microsoft is a different business direction than the one Sony is currently pursuing for example.
Nice assessment. IMO the PS5 DE makes the XSS irrelevant.

This is such a bizarre thread, OP.

You don't notice that it has an SSD and can juggle 6+ games on Quick Resume with instant loading and swapping on the fly? I don't see how that's actually possible.

The console is £249. I don't know what you expected for that kind of money, but clearly you've set your expectation level to silly.

I have a Series X, but I love Series S because it goes in my backpack and travels with me so ridiculously easily. It's clearly not what you're looking for in an Xbox, but I'd suggest it fits well as a Game Pass box, a second console for PS owners, an emulation machine or, like for me, a great option for commute.

Nice assessment. IMO the PS5 DE makes the XSS irrelevant.

PS5 DE has Game Pass now? Sweet.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I have all the means to buy a series x but I chose the S because I have a 70” 1080p tv I have no intention of changing out until it dies . I will get a ps5 once the idiot first adopters beta test that shit for me and at that point will be perfectly fine with the next gen results going down that avenue.

In the mean time I will go all in on the genuinely great gamepass and be fine with it for a few months. That’s where I’m coming from, and I’m sure a lot of People are in the same boat.

Microsoft has to prove themselves this gen to make me invest anymore then $300. Gamepass is the only thing keeping me here at this point.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Good value prospect, but poorly timed. Microsoft devoted precious manufacturing resources between a split production of the X and S. Realistically, they would have sold every Series X they were able to produce this year and well into the future. The Series S would have been much better placed once the Series X production was at full power and as a cheaper budget option next year or the following year.

The idea wasn't terrible, just not necessary for their success at this point in time.

iHaunter

I think it's only purpose is to have a cheap entry in the "next gen" console space. I think it has some use cases; secondary console, 1080p monitor/tv crowd, game pass machine, and kids. I don't think it's a good value however when the PS5 Digital is only $100 and much more powerful, and has a semi-useable hard drive. It does get you next gen features like the SSD, not shit CPU, and high framerates (on what is likely to be very few games). I think most people would be better off buying a Series X and waiting until they can save the extra money.

On the subject of the bolded, the Series S isn't meant for 4K displays at all. It's a 1080p console "disguised" as a 1440p console.
It just makes no sense. If you want the next-gen experience, why not get the PS5 Digital for $400 that's 2.5x stronger?

If you can't afford $500, then you can't afford $300. It's a marginal difference and a console is purely a luxury item that no one really "Needs."

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I feel like, in the OP’s case, it’s suffering from the same thing the X is, and third party games on the PS5 — zero really next-gen looking or ambitious games. It’s hard to deliver a value judgement on the budget box for next-gen games, when there are no next-gen games.

If Microsoft had something like Demon’s Souls, that would be a really interesting stress test for the S. Would it look the same, just at 1080p? You could begin to get an idea of what it was capable of, and if it did live up to that, it’d be quite an impressive little box.

As is, though, playing games with not all that much difference from last gen? Who knows? It feels like yet another Xbox in a sea of them.

OP - You say you don't notice performance improvements but doesn't the Series S load games MUCH faster than Xbox One, and hold framerates much more consistently?

I have never used Series S but I thought a few analysis breakdowns did show it offered marked improvements over Xbox One in a few areas, or no? I think there is one game that offers Ray Tracing on the S, but I don't remember which.

Bingo.

The issue with the Series S is that it is only 100 bucks cheaper than the PS5 DE, which is significantly more capable/powerful/valuable.

If not $199, then $249 at the most.

In hindsight, I wonder if MS wishes they had just done a discless XsX and not gone with two polarized SKUs in terms of power/performance. Or, at least made the Series S more powerful, closer to 8TF instead of 4.

That's my main issue with the Series S when it comes to value.

Without the existence of the PS5 DE the Series S is a pretty good value. At 200$ less it allows you to play next gen games at Upto 1440P which is enough for many people.

However when it's compared to the PS5 DE it doesn't seem like a good value to me. Especially when the PS5 DE is alot more powerful than it at only 100$ extra.

And your last paragraph is pretty interesting. I'm wondering if Microsoft only made the Series S because they were just expecting one SKU from Sony. I'm wondering if the PS5 DE caught them off guard.

Onironauta

Most players just want to be able to play new games and Series S can do that. It's not a console aimed at enthusiasts who masturbate on Digital Foundry videos.

I feel like they held back the entire generation by handcuffing all Series X and all multi-platform games to what feels like a last-gen piece of hardware.

Ohh man... Sometimes Google is your very best friend and gives answers to many questions. This thread is useless ohh wait Fanboy Alarm👌🤦‍♂️

The kind of people that frequent hardcore video game messages boards, the Series S ain’t for them. You don’t get the product because it isn’t for you and you can’t seem to get that.

AmuroChan

I am very curious how Series S will sell long term compared to the Series X. I know it's meant to be a budget GP machine aimed towards casual gamers, but is GP really going to be that attractive to casual gamers? The casual gamers in my circle are those that play no more than a few games a year. They play their Fortnite's and COD's and Madden's. And that's it. They don't play anything else. So what exactly is the lure of GP for these people? GP is awesome for core gamers like us because we play a million games a year. So GP gives us lots of bang for the buck, but for the casual folks that play Fortnite and nothing but Fortnite all year long, which they can play on their phones and iPads, I don't know what's enticing them to pick up a Series S. I totally get that different scenarios exist for different gamers, and my observations could be unique to the social circle I'm in. Nevertheless, I will be very interested to see the long term sales trajectory of these two consoles.

bxrz

The Series S is not made for you or anyone on this forum. Its made for people that:

- Only play FIFA/Madden/2k/Fortnite/COD every year and thats it
- A gamepass machine
- A secondary console

It should never be anyone's primary console if you are a gamer

Last edited:
Top Bottom