• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like Nintendo is being underestimated.....do you agree?

A.Romero

To give you some sense of scale, here's the number of retail titles console/PC published by various publishers in 2019 (apologies if I missed any games):

Namco Bandai: 14 (+1 port)
Nintendo: 11 (+4 ports/multiplats)
Sega: 9 (+4 ports)
Square Enix: 7 (+3 ports)
Sony: 7
EA: 7
Take Two 4 (+1 port)
Activision Blizzard: 3
Microsoft: 2 (+1 port)
Capcom: 2

Very interesting! Thanks for the info.

Ten_Fold

What? Nintendo is doing very well, the probably got the best variety of games out. They just need better online and a somewhat stronger system. The new switch is suppose to be somewhere around base ps4/xbone which isn’t bad for Nintendo, you shouldn’t expect ps5 level of performance from them anytime soon. It’s gonna sell like crazy especially if they put out a new Mario kart only for that model.

Woopah

I'm not sure beloved Zelda game #149 on the half a toaster they call a console disproves what I said. It kind of does exactly the opposite, in fact. Nintendo could release a calculator and sell Zelda stickers for it and the fans would be in here giving it a 9.5/10. They could open a booth where you pay to get beaten with a Mario themed bat with rusty nails in it and there'd be a line. They could solve the nuclear waste issue by sealing it in Animal Crossing themed barrels and selling those.

There are people on this forum who'd order 2, and eagerly watch every Nintendo Direct as their hair fell out and their organs liquified.

Now this may sound like I'm bashing Nintendo, but I'm not: they're printing money and have a cult they've raised from childhood. They are absolute masters of the industry.
The Wii U basically disproves this. The Nintendo audience is as fickle as any other.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Being underestimated is part of Nintendo's survival at this point.

The advantage of being the odd one out, is having no direct competitors. They will come eventually. Because such a success story is never left alone forever. But they get to be the first to do something, and make A LOT of money in the process.

Last edited:

The Skull

I'm not sure beloved Zelda game #149 on the half a toaster they call a console disproves what I said. It kind of does exactly the opposite, in fact. Nintendo could release a calculator and sell Zelda stickers for it and the fans would be in here giving it a 9.5/10. They could open a booth where you pay to get beaten with a Mario themed bat with rusty nails in it and there'd be a line. They could solve the nuclear waste issue by sealing it in Animal Crossing themed barrels and selling those.

There are people on this forum who'd order 2, and eagerly watch every Nintendo Direct as their hair fell out and their organs liquified.

Now this may sound like I'm bashing Nintendo, but I'm not: they're printing money and have a cult they've raised from childhood. They are absolute masters of the industry.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Guess time will tell on what kind of performance it can really deliver.

Also I'm not sure I would count Nintendo as the forever winner of portable, imagine a ms or Sony portable along the same exact lines as the switch, plays scaled down versions of all the main games.......complete with a day one back compat library.

Either one of those companies could be secretly plotting. There was a lot of speculation that the series S was a switch like portable .....

SinDelta

Breath of the Wild 2
Metroid Prime 4
Bayonetta 3

Those are just the missing in action megaton titles we know about.

Here are some pretty big titles that have released this year-

Bowsers Fury
Bravely Default 2
Monster Hunter Rise

More big upcoming titles with Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, NEO The World Ends with You and No More Heroes 3.

The stuff that literally prints money-
Mario and its spin offs (Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario Kart, Paper Mario)
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Remakes, Pokémon Legends: Arceus
Not even mentioning the gigantic IPs I have no interest in with Animal Crossing or Splatoon. (Though a actual RPG set in splatoon would be a different matter.)

Not to mention any new entry in their other IPs would be huge news
Zelda stuff for the Anniversary (Skyward Sword HD is probably not the only thing they have in mind, at least I really hope so.)
Fire Emblem
Xenoblade (A sequel, or a port of X)
Golden Sun
F-Zero
Star Fox
Kirby
Donkey Kong
Advance Wars/Battalion Wars
Kid Icarus
Trauma Center
Anything related to a new character in Smash

Nintendo is dominating the market and they are not even going all out with their Blockbuster titles. (100 percent last probably being when they released both Zelda BotW and Mario Odyssey in 2017, 4 years ago.)

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I don't think anybody is underestimating them.

it's just that they haven't released much recently, so there's literally not much to talk about.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The Wii U basically disproves this. The Nintendo audience is as fickle as any other.
Yup. Nintendo followed up their best selling console (Wii) with their worst selling one (Wii U). And their best selling handheld (DS) with their worst selling one (3DS... which eventually got respectable sales after initially struggling.)

Some gamers have very short, selective memories.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
BOTW2 is coming. Either later this year or next year. It's gonna do well. Hell, I'd be surprised if they don't have a new Mario or Mario Kart ready to go too alongside at least a preview of a new Metroid.

Nintendo is the silent giant that fanboys too faithful to Sony/MSFT are ignoring, which I'm sure Nintendo doesn't really give a shit about as they are doing monster numbers.
giphy.gif
Nintendo have more family / casual / kid friendly franchises in a single IP than Sony and MS have combined. As long as they don’t screw the pooch hardware wise (like they did with Wii U) or their marketing message then they will always sell 100+ million consoles.

Hardware with Mario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Smash, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Zelda and Mario Party will never fail unless Nintendo fuck it up themselves (which is entirely possible).

CS Lurker

I can't see a switch pro affecting the xbox or ps5 sales. I think that even the switch 2 (if nintendo maintains the hybrid strategy) will be far from the others (even with DLSS, I expect the performance gap to be bigger than it was between switch and xone/ps4).

But none of that matters really. Nintendo doesn't need to compete in performance. Sorry if I got OP's point wrong.

KingT731

The Wii U only proved that when you don't put any games on your console it wont sell. There was no major Mario game, no major Zelda title (until the console was already dead) and so on and so forth. That combined with there awful messaging and PS4/XB1 releasing the next year...they kind of just "knee capped" themselves.

Lanrutcon

Nintendo threw another cheap piece of plastic out right afterwards and that audience wept tears of joy. Didn't even break stride. They knew exactly what they were doing.

mxbison

I do feel like December 2019 was the worst time to get a Switch in terms of new releases. What sort of games would you like to see?

Anything really.

I played and enjoyed Zelda BotW, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Smash Ultimate, Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta 2, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle.

Looked through the list of 2020/2021 releases again and there is nothing that really interests me.

Woopah

The Wii U only proved that when you don't put any games on your console it wont sell. There was no major Mario game, no major Zelda title (until the console was already dead) and so on and so forth. That combined with there awful messaging and PS4/XB1 releasing the next year...they kind of just "knee capped" themselves.
That was my point
Nintendo threw another cheap piece of plastic out right afterwards and that audience wept tears of joy. Didn't even break stride. They knew exactly what they were doing.
Well exactly. With Wii U that didn't know what they were doing and put out a poor product, so their fans didn't buy it. With Switch they new exactly what they were doing and put out a good product, so fans did buy it.
Anything really.

I played and enjoyed Zelda BotW, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Smash Ultimate, Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta 2, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle.

Looked through the list of 2020/2021 releases again and there is nothing that really interests me.
I do think we'll be getting Fire Emblem and BOTW games within the next year. I'm looking forward to No More Heroes 3 and Triangle Strategy.

Kokoloko85

No1 is underestimating atm.
But they sure are overestimating there next console lol.
Unless its another Hybrid, or Handheld, its not gonna do well

They are always underestimated.

You see a lot of people in this thread saying they are overrated. That is actually proof of people underestimating them! They think they are not as good as their success says.

I don't know what causes people to say these things. Envy? Jealousy?

It is funny people will bitch about them still selling Mario while GTAV gets ready to be sold new on the third console in a row.

I don't think Nintendo is being underestimated so much as they've found their niche in a billion-dollar industry, and they are good at what it is that they do best.

With the death of the PSP and 3DS, the Switch came at the perfect time to fill in that gap between portable and console-quality...except that the Switch executes respectable games like DOOM and Wolfenstein that can be played on elite hardware.

It's impressive, even for someone like myself who hardly touches my Switch. Game recognize game.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
After thinking about it some more, I can't help but think a Nintendo/ ms full on software partnership would benefit them both.
If its really true that they don't share the same space (as many have indicated they think is true), each would have a more attractive platform overall, and benefit from increased software sales.

Last edited:

dcx4610

They've achieved their goal of basically becoming Disney. You have just Nintendo fans now. I know a lot of people that only have a Switch for a gaming device and if they have a partner, they have their own Switch or Lite as well to play together. These people don't really care about having the best graphics or playing AAA games. They just want Mario and cutesy games.

Nintendo fills that niche and fills it well. I don't see them ever competing with Sony or Microsoft ever again by having the most powerful system or trying to get the best version of multi-plats. I do think that the Switch Pro will be surprisingly powerful though and DLSS will make a lot of these more demanding games on par with at least the PS4/Xbox One which will be impressive for a handheld.

Top Bottom