• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like Nintendo is being underestimated.....do you agree?

TheContact

i question a lot of nintendo's actions and even their inactions but ultimately they always sell a shitton of units and are always extremely profitable so they clearly know a hell of a lot more than i do about how to run their business lol

V4skunk

Banned
I'd say you're likely right. if anything more it would only go 1080p. at that small of a screen the resolution at 720/1080 isnt a problem. the battery life gains alone would be worth it.
Not to mention many games in hand held are sub 720p. Isn't XB2 something like 360p some times in demanding areas?

Since GameCube failure, Nintendo is living in a completely different market.
Though new Switch might bring something to the table, but I doubt it.

StormCell

Understandably, the pandemic really put a kink in NIntendo's production pipeline, and I also believe that it gave them pause to reflect on their release schedule once they saw the gargantuan success of Animal Crossing and the current Switch models. If they really are preparing to launch a new Switch, then it makes sense for them to stack the schedule following its release. Still, I can't help feeling that Nintendo's release schedule woes started several months before the pandemic was even mentioned. They were having massive struggles with Metroid Prime 4 and even Breath of the Wild DLC/2 (you know, where they had these DLC ideas that just grew into a new game? Sorry Season Pass suckerz!). That really seems to be the theme with Switch is that they ran into difficulties and the pandemic forced them into a 2 year lull as they prepare to launch a new Switch.

As far as being underestimated? I can't think of much in the way of new gaming concepts that they really bring to the table. I really love how fun Nintendo games are, so don't get me wrong. However, the Switch is by far the most vanilla experience. As a handheld, it is unrivaled. As a home console, there aren't many frills unless you count Pokemon on a TV as one. This is one instance where I'm very sorry to say that I now believe, from the bottom of my heart, that Microsoft has replaced Nintendo in the area of home console quality and design. Nintendo should have been the one to unveil the Series X, but instead Microsoft is carrying forward that mantle of "Now you are playing with Power!"

Note: I'm not an Xbox fanboy. I barely even participate in the Xbox threads. I'm merely stating my opinion after owning a Switch since launch and only recently buying an Xbox.

Last edited:

Neff

As someone that bought a switch recently, I'm surprised at how few Nintendo games there are.

There was a good point made in another thread about how Nintendo tends to hit the brakes on software output once their hardware comfortably establishes itself. And it's true. At that point they just sit back and watch the money roll in regardless.

Nintendo are typically at their best when they need to impress.

A.Romero

They do their own thing since Iwata (red/blue ocean) and a lot of people like it but I think the representation in forums like this is much lower than the other consoles.

If you mean technologically then there is no underestimation, they don't aim at the high end.

Personally, I doubt they will include specialized hardware for DLSS because of price. They need to focus on making more games. I'm not a Nintendo fan but I feel they have a really low output.

Eevee86

They do their own thing since Iwata (red/blue ocean) and a lot of people like it but I think the representation in forums like this is much lower than the other consoles.

If you mean technologically then there is no underestimation, they don't aim at the high end.

Personally, I doubt they will include specialized hardware for DLSS because of price. They need to focus on making more games. I'm not a Nintendo fan but I feel they have a really low output.
Pretty sure they're the leader for game output in the industry.

lachesis

Nintendo is doing just fine. They are just underestimated in certain types (which are mainstream in west) of genres - such as FPS or Cinematic Sony type games - or because of what their targeted audiences - children & family. They are raking in $$$ all over the world, making profits and with almost no debt, (Sony or MS's debt is pretty huge - especially Sony's Long Term Debt) and they are sitting on a pile of cash.

But at the same time, they consolidated their user base into one single platform now. Right now they are doing great & seeing great result - but now they don't have the luxury of relying on another successful platform like Wii U did with DS/3DS. Their eggs are all in one basket - which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you keep your growth, but could get really bad with future mistake... and that's exactly why Nintendo's next move is critical for the company's foreseeable future stability.

Their real competition is not Sony or MS - I think it's more of the mobile games as younger people getting more of mobile devices, and the cloud gaming.
Their challenges are more in line of creating and keeping the momentum in younger audiences that "Nintendo" being "it" when it comes to gaming, and convincing parents to trust/buy them to their kids.

sublimit

Banned
They are not being underestimated they are being estimated as a platform holder that goes on a different path from the direction that most graphics (and specs) whores would have wanted to see them move towards.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
In the modern era, the fact that Nintendo came up with Wii and then Switch, and kept slaying it means nobody should ever take the lightly.

If they ever face worse years, you know a comeback hardware/software is coming.
Then they followed up with Wii U, a disaster so bad it’s a miracle the company even survived. And followed DS with 3DS, which struggled at first, and they had to drop the price by $70 and give free games to the early adopters as an apology.

So yeah don’t underestimate Nintendo, but also drop this smug attitude that Nintendo just has to make Mario and Smash and it guarantees a success that will silence all the haters. They are perfectly capable of fucking up and squandering a dominant position just like their competitors.

Ceadeus

They've been really silent. I hope they have more in store than Zelda coming up.

AAA third party support seems completely missing( beside the latest Monster Hunter) . I mean by this that there's little to no big third party working for the Switch from the ground up.

nerdface

Banned
hardware?...yeah...switch's soc wasn't that old at launch, and has plenty of power for a fucking gameboy lol...it comes with the console, screen, battery, and joycons...it's a fantastic portable that even comes with a TV dock if you're in the mood, all for a few hundred bucks

software?...they are beyond overrated

Fredrik

I hate their hybrid thing, so nope I think they are overrated, I’m sure BOTW2 will be amazing but I’m also sure I’ll be cranky that I can’t play it on better hardware. I’ve basically given my Switch to my kids, I never play on it. Every Direct I watch gets me more depressed. Yet I know I’ll be there buying their Switch Pro like the fool I am. Sigh.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Nintendo is fine. They just sold a ridiculous number of switch consoles last year and animal crossing sold like 30 million copies. I do wish they were a bit more aggressive on the umber of first party games since they technically have just one platform. Still waiting on Bayonetta 3.

Plus they just need to hold out for at least 2 years and release a handheld when third party support for ps4 dies. I really don't understand releasing a switch pro nearly 5 years after the switch's launch. Just release a new console in winter of 2022 or early 2023.

Shubh_C63

Then they followed up with Wii U, a disaster so bad it’s a miracle the company even survived. And followed DS with 3DS, which struggled at first, and they had to drop the price by $70 and give free games to the early adopters as an apology.

So yeah don’t underestimate Nintendo, but also drop this smug attitude that Nintendo just has to make Mario and Smash and it guarantees a success that will silence all the haters. They are perfectly capable of fucking up and squandering a dominant position just like their competitors.
Yup I know this well. That is why I said whenever they fuck up, they come back strong.

I should have dropped the "If ever". Of course Ninty fucks up.

killatopak

Gold Member
They’re a known entity.

It’s been like this for the past 15 years.

Name one blockbuster third party game not named DQ and MH.

Unless they announce a new first party game, they are quickly thrown to wayside. Since there’s almost new third party news daily, which is more of a PC/Sony/Xbox territory, it may seem like we’re not talking about the Switch much.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Are you serious? A sleeping dragon in the video game industry is NINTENDO??

Yeah, who is this no-name company making video games now. I never heard of them.

I'm guessing OP is pretty young.

I'm not sure how you get that, I swear every reaction you have to a post is emotional.
I have owned an nes, snes (still have my boxed copy of zelda with map), n64, GameCube (starfox adventures soundtrack says hi), wii, wii u, switch, gb, gba, 3ds, 3ds xl

Nobody said Nintendo was bad, or that I didn't like them. But there are two things you are overlooking:

1. They are being ignored in many threads here when it comes to this generation. For whatever reasons, people don't think the next Nintendo machine will have any effect on Sony or ms sales. My post was suggesting that might be an oversight - thus a "sleeping dragon". A perfect analogy for a company with teeth that doesn't seem to be doing anything right now (no next gen console)

2. If history has taught us anything, it's that Nintendo could still fail spectacularly, or just flat out not participate in the "next gen" market. Does an an upgraded machine with Dlss just tip thier toe in the water, or is it jumping in the pool?

I for one would love to see what they have worked out, they are such a wildcard.

Last edited:

KingT731

Not to mention many games in hand held are sub 720p. Isn't XB2 something like 360p some times in demanding areas?
Yeah 368p...even Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition can be a complete blur fest even while while docked. The res can go from 504p to 720p.

Zeroing

Banned
Nintendo does whatever they want because, between the big 3, they are the most different and reliable...they carved their own audience, while Sony and MS and their fans are busy quarrel

Everyone is fighting each other on threads while Nintendo fans are thinking... how can we join the fun?

I'm not sure how you get that, I swear every reaction you have to a post is emotional.
I have owned an nes, snes (still have my boxed copy of zelda with map), n64, GameCube (starfox adventures soundtrack says hi), wii, wii u, switch, gb, gba, 3ds, 3ds xl

Nobody said Nintendo was bad, or that I didn't like them. But there are two things you are overlooking:

1. They are being ignored in many threads here when it comes to this generation. For whatever reasons, people don't think the next Nintendo machine will have any effect on Sony or ms sales. My post was suggesting that might be an oversight - thus a "sleeping dragon". A perfect analogy for a company with teeth that doesn't seem to be doing anything right now (no next gen console)

2. If history has taught us anything, it's that Nintendo could still fail spectacularly, or just flat out not participate in the "next gen" market. Does an an upgraded machine with Dlss just tip thier toe in the water, or is it jumping in the pool?

I for one would love to see what they have worked out, they are such a wildcard.
I don't really think they are being ignored. There isn't a lot of news right now, most likely due to E3 being right around the corner. Fans know Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 are in the works, both huge games. New IP is likely to be announced this year simply because Nintendo has gone through all their other staple franchises. Maybe a new Donkey Kong game? The Switch is already a success and proven, so it doesn't really make sense to speak of Nintendo being a failure or not showing up this gen. One thing with Nintendo is clear: they take their time with everything and there are often dips in game releases.

If anyone is a wild card this gen it's Microsoft and the Xbox Series X. The potential is there for a lot of good exclusives to be made, but so many people think last gen is all Microsoft is capable of despite the two successful gens before it.

PooBone

I thinking Nintendo is “rated” just fine. I don’t care about units sold but rather games and products that appeal to me. In that regard, they’re about two generations behind.

Ezquimacore

Banned
images

Ezquimacore

Banned
Nintendo just does what Nintendo is good at.

You'll get more Mario on whatever their latest underpowered gimmick is.

And you'll like it.
Not even a Nintendo fan but I that's what they're doing then why they have the best open world exclusive on any platform? Xbox is not even trying and playstation just does the ubisoft thing but prettier

Woopah

It seems odd though that here even has Nintendo on the radar in terms of how it might affect Sony or ms sales. Just talk like 100 million ps5 machines sold is a guarantee regardless of the competition that hasn't even been announced yet......
When Switch came out it didn't have any noticeable negative affect on PS4 sales, and when PS5 came out it didn't have any noticeable negative affect on Switch sales. No reason yet to think that the Switch 2 will be any different.
I got my Switch December 2019 and there wasn't a single game release since then that I cared about.

I know people like Animal Crossing and Mario Remaster #34 but for me personally it's been quite the disappointment.
I do feel like December 2019 was the worst time to get a Switch in terms of new releases. What sort of games would you like to see?
Understandably, the pandemic really put a kink in NIntendo's production pipeline, and I also believe that it gave them pause to reflect on their release schedule once they saw the gargantuan success of Animal Crossing and the current Switch models. If they really are preparing to launch a new Switch, then it makes sense for them to stack the schedule following its release. Still, I can't help feeling that Nintendo's release schedule woes started several months before the pandemic was even mentioned. They were having massive struggles with Metroid Prime 4 and even Breath of the Wild DLC/2 (you know, where they had these DLC ideas that just grew into a new game? Sorry Season Pass suckerz!). That really seems to be the theme with Switch is that they ran into difficulties and the pandemic forced them into a 2 year lull as they prepare to launch a new Switch.

As far as being underestimated? I can't think of much in the way of new gaming concepts that they really bring to the table. I really love how fun Nintendo games are, so don't get me wrong. However, the Switch is by far the most vanilla experience. As a handheld, it is unrivaled. As a home console, there aren't many frills unless you count Pokemon on a TV as one. This is one instance where I'm very sorry to say that I now believe, from the bottom of my heart, that Microsoft has replaced Nintendo in the area of home console quality and design. Nintendo should have been the one to unveil the Series X, but instead Microsoft is carrying forward that mantle of "Now you are playing with Power!"

Note: I'm not an Xbox fanboy. I barely even participate in the Xbox threads. I'm merely stating my opinion after owning a Switch since launch and only recently buying an Xbox.
2nd half of 2019 was pretty stacked from Nintendo so I don't think they had any issues then ( 2020 was probably going to be a mediocre year anyway, but then COVID turned it into a terrible one).
Really? Do they make more first party games than the other 2 comparable leaders?

It could be. It just doesn't feel that way.
In any year Nintendo is usually 1st or 2nd in terms of number of games published by major publishers (I think Namco Bandai usually come first). Now that 2020 is behind them they are retuning to Nintendo-levels of output (which should mean a good 2nd half)

EruditeHobo

As someone that bought a switch recently, I'm surprised at how few Nintendo games there are. Exclude the Wiii U ports and you are left with barely anything. What have they been doing these past few years? I would expect not having to divide games between a console and a portable would lead to more games, not less.

It's not really a good console, as far as I'm concerned... games are hugely lacking IMO.
I should have known that Nintendo just isn't my bag anymore, and avoided the purchase.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
When Switch came out it didn't have any noticeable negative affect on PS4 sales, and when PS5 came out it didn't have any noticeable negative affect on Switch sales. No reason yet to think that the Switch 2 will be any different.

Well one reason would be if it manages to deliver a end product much closer to that of the current gen. (Vs the switch which did not)

Underestimated? Haven’t they sold approximately 80 million consoles worldwide now and it came out years after Xbox and PS4? If the rumors of the Switch Pro at legitimate, then Nintendo could really become unstoppable especially if it’s truly an admirable upgrade over the Switch.

A.Romero

I do feel like December 2019 was the worst time to get a Switch in terms of new releases. What sort of games would you like to see?

2nd half of 2019 was pretty stacked from Nintendo so I don't think they had any issues then ( 2020 was probably going to be a mediocre year anyway, but then COVID turned it into a terrible one).

In any year Nintendo is usually 1st or 2nd in terms of number of games published by major publishers (I think Namco Bandai usually come first). Now that 2020 is behind them they are retuning to Nintendo-levels of output (which should mean a good 2nd half)

Don't get the difference, sorry. It feels way more games come out for the other platforms than the Switch (including PC). I don't follow the indie scene too closely so if it's counting indies and ports, that could be why it doesn't feel that way to me.

It would surprise me to hear that more first party Nintendo titles come out than the other manufacturers.

EruditeHobo

Well one reason would be if it manages to deliver a end product much closer to that of the current gen. (Vs the switch which did not)

And there's basically zero reason to think that is a direction Nintendo would go in. Right? I mean they haven't done that in 15 years at this point.

Woopah

Higher specs could lead to better Western third party support and better sales, but I still don't think it would negatively impact PS5. PlayStation would still be the main place people go to to play sports games, FPS and open world games and I can't see people who play those genres moving on mass to Nintendo (some would probably pick up both a Switch 2 and PS5).

Don't get the difference, sorry. It feels way more games come out for the other platforms than the Switch (including PC). I don't follow the indie scene too closely so if it's counting indies and ports, that could be why it doesn't feel that way to me.

It would surprise me to hear that more first party Nintendo titles come out than the other manufacturers.
This is only looking at first party yes. Once you include third party games then PS4/5 would be ahead of Switch (Switch might be ahead of Xbox because of Japanese games, not sure).

Basically we're comparing publishers not platforms. In most years Nintendo publishes more games than Capcom, Square, Activision Blizzard, Sony, Microsoft, Take 2, Sega, etc. etc. do individually.

lol, it's Nintendo, it's designed for kids to play Animal Crossing.
Nintendo's success is from attracting a wide range of demographics, not just one particular age group.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Higher specs could lead to better Western third party support and better sales, but I still don't think it would negatively impact PS5. PlayStation would still be the main place people go to to play sports games, FPS and open world games and I can't see people who play those genres moving on mass to Nintendo (some would probably pick up both a Switch 2 and PS5).

This is only looking at first party yes. Once you include third party games then PS4/5 would be ahead of Switch (Switch might be ahead of Xbox because of Japanese games, not sure).

Basically we're comparing publishers not platforms. In most years Nintendo publishes more games than Capcom, Square, Activision Blizzard, Sony, Microsoft, Take 2, Sega, etc. etc. do individually.

Nintendo's success is from attracting a wide range of demographics, not just one particular age group.

Interesting, that's a bit surprising.

Aroll

As someone that bought a switch recently, I'm surprised at how few Nintendo games there are. Exclude the Wiii U ports and you are left with barely anything. What have they been doing these past few years? I would expect not having to divide games between a console and a portable would lead to more games, not less.
I find this to be a massive misconception.

Nintendo Switch 82 exclusive games. 82. in 4 years. What more do you expect? Here, let's go with just the big ones, and future ones that have release dates:

1 2 Switch
ACNH
ARMS
Astral Chain
Bravely Default 2
Cadence of Hyrule
Clubhouse Games
Fire Emblem 3 Houses
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Kirby Star Allies
Luigi's Mansion 3
Link's Awakening (only counting it, since it was a full remake)
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Mario Golf Super Rush (June 2021)
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
Mario Tennis Aces
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
New Pokemon Snap (this week)
Nintendo Labo
Paper Mario: The Origami King
Pokemon: Sword & Shield
Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee (again, included since it's a full remake)
Ring Fit Adventure
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Party
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Yoshi's Crafted World
xenoblade Chronicles 2

That's 29 rather big games in 4 years. Average of 7ish titles released per year. That's a pretty significant clip of releases. Ahead with unconfirmed dates is still Metroid Prime 4, BoTW 2, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, and who knows what else.

They are making big exclusive games at a clip for a single platform on a per year basis faster than they have ever done it before. When people go "Nintendo is barely making any games if you get rid of Wii U porst" - I just go: Expand your horizons, Nintendo has tons of content rocking on Switch.

Woopah

Interesting, that's a bit surprising.
To give you some sense of scale, here's the number of retail titles console/PC published by various publishers in 2019 (apologies if I missed any games):

Namco Bandai: 14 (+1 port)
Nintendo: 11 (+4 ports/multiplats)
Sega: 9 (+4 ports)
Square Enix: 7 (+3 ports)
Sony: 7
EA: 7
Take Two 4 (+1 port)
Activision Blizzard: 3
Microsoft: 2 (+1 port)
Capcom: 2

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Not even a Nintendo fan but I that's what they're doing then why they have the best open world exclusive on any platform? Xbox is not even trying and playstation just does the ubisoft thing but prettier

I'm not sure beloved Zelda game #149 on the half a toaster they call a console disproves what I said. It kind of does exactly the opposite, in fact. Nintendo could release a calculator and sell Zelda stickers for it and the fans would be in here giving it a 9.5/10. They could open a booth where you pay to get beaten with a Mario themed bat with rusty nails in it and there'd be a line. They could solve the nuclear waste issue by sealing it in Animal Crossing themed barrels and selling those.

There are people on this forum who'd order 2, and eagerly watch every Nintendo Direct as their hair fell out and their organs liquified.

Now this may sound like I'm bashing Nintendo, but I'm not: they're printing money and have a cult they've raised from childhood. They are absolute masters of the industry.

Top Bottom