• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like I'm having a gaming mid life crisis.

Roberts

I pretty much played like 5 games a year between 2011 and 2017. Xbox One X and LG 65C7 made me curious about gaming again and then Gamepass turned it up to 11. I think it's mostly because I discovered that there is more to gaming than a few big games that everybody talks about. Still not bored or tired of it.

Last edited:

-MD-

Sometimes ya gotta take a year or two off to recharge and focus on other things, I always end up coming back though.

jigglet

Banned
I had the same issue back when all I played was Nintendo games. But at the time I couldn't admit it to myself that I was in desperate need of some shooters like COD. I felt I was above it, like that shit was for The Bros only and I'd be selling out by playing them.

There are probably a lot of genres you turn your nose to. Allow yourself to just play them and have fun. Fuck the elitist "hardcore" snobbery. That's how I got my groove back. I still love my Nintendo games but I can't do without my shooters and "mainstream" stuff too. Don't feel like only the "high brow" stuff is the only games that are worthy of your time.

My game of the generation so far is Ring Fit. Sometimes it doesn't need to be AAA GOTY material. Fun is fun.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Sorry but most games are boring as fuck and require you to spend 300 hours doing the same shit over and over at least with MP and MMO types there’s an interactive element with other people.

I just want to dip in and out without too much thought to it and enjoy my time and get that dopamine hit.

A lot of narrative driven games have really hit a meander in terms of the experience they are providing.

Pantz

Gold Member
I took like 3 or 4 years away from gaming back around 2011/2012 and came back when the PS4 Pro came out. It was pretty nice because tons of cool games had come out and everything was already on sale.

Switch things up often between genres/ consoles/ generations.
I find that when I spend too long on any certain genre, I start to feel the burn out too. So to keep it interesting, one week I might be playing contemporary releases, next week I might be dabbling in my Japanese PS2 exclusives or tinkering with my Supermodel emulator and enjoying some classic 90's Sega arcade games. Sometimes, I might even go one or two weeks focused on a certain franchise that spans several years and consoles while squeezing in some online fighting game match sessions. Once or twice per month, some of my coworkers and I play some GTAO together too. It probably sounds like gaming ADD, but I just don't feel like committing myself to any specific game or genre. Which in turn keeps things interesting.
As a result, it obviously takes me months, if not years, to finish the long SP games. I'm also, as they say, a jack of trades but master of none since I don't really invest a lot of time on any one game. But it keeps my gaming sessions as a fun novelty to look forward to rather than a chore that I procrastinate.

JohnnyTropics

Neo Member
All it takes is one specific game to hook you back. Gaming since 1993. Stopped from 2006 through 2012 and got back into the hobby after playing Code Veronica once again.
I've been gaming since 1990 and the stretch that you missed was my favorite era of them all, strangely enough.

OP: just go with the flow and be mindful of the gaming you are doing so you can better enjoy it. I can speak to you from a bit of an older perspective, but you sound to be getting to the age where life priorities--and the way you experience them--are beginning to shift. You may think you're not having new experiences, or making memories, but you are. I look back on my own "video game droughts" and realize that I was playing video games, just in forms I found embarrassing to own up to as an actual "gaming experience." In the statistical break down of my life I'll get access to when this game called life is over, the hours I put into Farmville and Candy Crush will count just as much as the ones I put into Warcraft 2, which will count just as much as the ones I put into Final Fantasy 5.

I notice you talk about football manager and still having the time/desire to play that. Is there a game in that series that you're not letting yourself play because it's too (whatever)? Is there one that's too expensive that you can't justify it? Or is there a game from that genre that you've always wanted to try but have held off on for whatever reason? Farming simulator, lawn mower simulator, etc. Something that involves managing the same small details, and would feel like a guilty pleasure if you were to buy it?

Buy it, play it, and give yourself permission to enjoy it. Get lost in it. You'll have good memories associated with it when it's all said and done, I promise.

Enjoy the ride.

Fredrik

Listen to this man, I agree COMPLETELY. Like, wow, this dude is in my brain or something.
Lol you don’t want that 🫣

Anyway OP there are gray days in all aspect of life occasionally. In hobbies, work or just life in general. Don’t overthink it, just wait it out, eventually there is sunshine again. And in a month we have the MS show, it’ll trigger the gaming interest in some way guaranteed!

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Take a break and adopt a cat from a shelter, it will keep you busy 😹
New story EVERY SINGLE DAY 💖😻💖
Laser Sword Cat GIF
funny cat wtf GIF
Bored Cat GIF
funny cat GIF

Scotty W

There is something deeply wrong with you op. If you don’t love videogames, what else is there to love in this fuckin world? Nothing! You are at risk of existential flatlining. Start loving new aaa releases, NOW!!!

Chittagong

Gold Member
I was pretty much like you op. Played most of the big names each year, but ultimately got bored. Especially with Ubisoft. I made a resolution to focus this year on just three games and go deep with each.

Halo Infinite MP
Elden Ring
Gran Turismo 7

The depth and mastery brought back my enjoyment. They are meaty enough to last for a year or more. They get constantly more satisfying as I get better and better. Being invested in a game feels good.

manzo

I was pretty much like you op. Played most of the big names each year, but ultimately got bored. Especially with Ubisoft. I made a resolution to focus this year on just three games and go deep with each.

Halo Infinite MP
Elden Ring
Gran Turismo 7

The depth and mastery brought back my enjoyment. They are meaty enough to last for a year or more. They get constantly more satisfying as I get better and better. Being invested in a game feels good.

This is the correct answer, but the game requires depth to start with. I enjoyed Tales of Arise because of the combat system, even though the game itself was fucking horrible. Skipped all cutscenes pretty much from halfway through, but the battles were fucking fun. Especially the end-game extra bosses, haven't had a rush like that with the final quest/boss rush gauntlet.

It's about adjusting your gaming behaviour. If you don't feel like playing, don't feel guilty about it. Play when you FEEL like it, not that you HAVE to play. It's just learned behaviorism and dopamine chasing. I spend 95% of the time I used to play working out at the gym these days and because of that, I'm in the best shape of my life. So that dopamine I got from games was moved to weightlifting. And to OP, I'm going through the same at the moment and I'm turning 40 this summer. It's like being in a very schizophrenic state. I hate pretty much everything that comes out these days. Shallow and boring empty worlds and narratives. I mostly find enjoyment in older games, that's why I removed my other consoles from my cabinet except my PS5 (kids play on mostly after finishing Arise) and my Super Nintendo. I play SNES games in short bursts and god damn I'm having fun.

Games and contemporary movies go hand-in hand. Utter trash 99% of the time, then the occasional gem. Just find those gems and enjoy them, disregard everything else if older games are not your forte.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Stop playing mainstream, "A++" swallop.

Stick to indie and retro gaming.

Pick up a Dreamcast.

Or even better, a modded one.

Arsic

Find a forever grind game , WoW, dota 2, path of exile , destiny 2, apex legends , etc.

Play the one game that keeps you happy and when you feel a little ho hum check out what has been hyped up , released , or is coming soon.

Less is more. Plus indie games are the gift that keeps giving in innovation and fun .

Lastly , you could try a new genre you have ignored until now to step out of your comfort zone.

93xfan

Banned
Sounds like you started with N64 games.

I highly recommend some of the great NES/SNES games if you haven’t played them.

Super Mario Bros 3 (NES version)

Zelda: A Link To The Past

Yoshi’s Island

Super Metroid

Super Mario World

Gloomnivore

I’m the same and fine with it. I still follow gaming news but don’t feel like playing anything that's out at the moment. Growing out of gaming is something I never expected to happen but I’ve avoided playing Elden Ring so that’s basically retirement.

The GAAS trend that Sony is betting the farm on doesn’t interest me. It turns gaming into work.

The upshot of all this is that I’ve replaced gaming with running and now chase High Scores and Achievements on my Garmin instead. It’s the same thing but better.

Top Bottom