• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like I'm having a gaming mid life crisis.

Its probably a phase. We all go through it, sometimes. I am like that with my hobbies too.
I play guitar, go cliff/mountain hiking, spelunking, read lots of books , and play video games. Tv is not my thing and only watch a few shows that spark my intrest maybe an hour or two a week, but will watch movies with my GF.

That being said, each one of these hobbies gets neglected depending on mood and or weather. When its nice outside, I tend to do more outside hobbies.
When i get a new game or console, I play more video games, and sometimes it happens for no reason.

I noticed since i have a lot less time for my hobbies, I really try to cherish the moments i have with them. I only get to game maybe 30 mins a day as I work 10 hour shifts (maybe more if we are slow at work, I work from home so can game on my pc or switch during down times) . Then have more time to game on my days off.

Having less time, means I don't get burnout from it.
Maybe try to game less, or take breaks?

I do relate to what you mean about this gen though. Really there hasn't been too many super exciting ground breaking games outside of Elden Ring, which isn't even a next gen title.

I really stick to some games that I have the most enjoyment playing, even though i have some sweeping epic open world games to get through.
Playing City skylines, No mans Sky, Vagante, Vampire Survivors, Rogue Legacy 2, and most recently Gran Turismo 7.

These games I can pick up anytime and have fun, even if I am not feeling gaming.
Any roguelike, city builder, or mindless grinding game is good for that.

Do you have any games like that? A game or genre that you can play anytime, even if you don't feel like gaming?

cireza

Banned
Yeah, roguelike needs to die as a genre.
But Shiren the Wanderer :(

Actually this series is so good in the genre that it makes every other game irrelevant.
Still enjoyed Rogue Legacy for the good action and because it was still simple enough in terms of mechanics.

But Shiren is up there. Must play.

Last edited:
I feel like its the open world games...In the past year I ran through elden ring, far cry 6, horizonf orbidden west, halo infinite, dying light 2, and a whole host of other open world games and after finishing each one I instantly disliked games for awhile unless I was playing something quick and simple(Actually got me back to playing online games I can jump in and jump out of when I'd put those down years ago lol)...Try and break up the types of games you play...indies are a good source for a break from the usual by the formula approach of the bigger releases IMO...As far as myself is concerned i've been severely disappointed in the writing in the 'bigger games' for the past 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, I am definitely "changed" in terms of gaming habits compared to when I was younger. For example, I have been playing, when the opportunity manifests, depending on circumstances: RDR2 (Xbox), TLOU2 (PS4), Mario Bros or Kirby & the Forgotten Land (Switch) and Hollow Knight (PC). It sure looks like a damn lot to play, but some of these I play once a week if I'm luck.

The thing is: the ones I'm enjoying the most are Hollow Knight, Mario and Kirby. RDR2 and TLOU2 I have reached a point which I'm kinda rushing whenever I can play, just to move on... lmao. They're great games with awesome production values, but they simply are not that fun to play anymore... if it was about 10 years ago I would be having a blast with these 2 AAA games. The other ones, if I'm able to play for 30 minutes or 2 hours, it doesn't matter, I have a lot of fun with them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am definitely "changed" in terms of gaming habits compared to when I was younger. For example, I have been playing, when the opportunity manifests, depending on circumstances: RDR2 (Xbox), TLOU2 (PS4), Mario Bros or Kirby & the Forgotten Land (Switch) and Hollow Knight (PC). It sure looks like a damn lot to play, but some of these I play once a week if I'm luck.

The thing is: the ones I'm enjoying the most are Hollow Knight, Mario and Kirby. RDR2 and TLOU2 I have reached a point which I'm kinda rushing whenever I can play, just to move on... lmao. They're great games with awesome production values, but they simply are not that fun to play anymore... if it was about 10 years ago I would be having a blast with these 2 AAA games. The other ones, if I'm able to play for 30 minutes or 2 hours, it doesn't matter, I have a lot of fun with them.
Kirby is so damn good.

Filben

Noticed this myself to some degree. I feel like I've seen and played oh so many video games that it's difficult to truly surprise me. Many feel like been there done that and of course the "childlike" euphoria vanishes over time more and more.

I think the best way to tackle this is to find a game you find really interesting, gameplay wise, storywise, whatever floats your boat, and just stick with it for a time, and also take your time with it.. Don't hop in and out for 30min sessions, allow yourself to dive into this world, allow yourself that escapism. And if the game doesn't allow that and won't click, give it a bit time, but don't force yourself for longer periods.

Don't play just for the sake of playing. It's okay to let your interest and preferences shift (forth and back).

And then out of the blue comes that one game you can't simply put down.

Also, try out genres you usually don't play. Maybe your interests within gaming has changed without you noticing.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Jesus, OP, you’re 20? The last thing you should be doing is spending time on “entertainment” that you don’t find entertaining. Focus on your education, getting your career started, getting laid. Read some classic books, start lifting weights, develop new hobbies.

There are a million better things to do with your time than trying to force yourself to like video games again.

Last edited:

WoJ

Play what you like. I almost never play stuff at launch. There is always something new and interesting to pick up I haven't seen before that I missed. Ignore the hype culture and pick up stuff on sales when you're ready to dive in. Or replay old classics. When you stop feeling forced to keep up gaming is a lot more fun.

Diversify your hobbies. When I get played out on games I build model kits, yardwork, ride my bike and do my own maintenance on my cars. The money I save doing the latter goes back into the former and I enjoy doing it.

Go back, way back, and play something you missed.

Over the last couple years I've been going through my old games and games I missed going back to the 80's. That shit is still good, it's almost 100% gameplay without the filler and I've loved every second of it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Isa
There's a drought of top tier games lately imo. You can rattle off a lot of mediocre AAA games but they simply aren't that great. Horizon is blah, Uncharted is called Uncharted yet the exploration is garbage tier, Ubisoft games are Ubisoft games...there's not a lot of great games right now. Basically you're just going to have to wait until something comes along or find something you missed.

Here's some upcoming games that look like fun to me:

Evil West
The Quarry (If you like story/Until Dawn)
Forspoken (Ubisoft-ish but still looks like it could be a lot of fun)
Saints Row
Sons of The Forest (The Forest 2)

If none of those interest you, what ARE you interested in? Elden Ring is a pretty good newer release if you haven't tried it (though I think Bloodborne is overall better). Destiny is top tier for shooting shit if you just want to do that and use/collect weapons...Death's Door and Tunic both look interesting to me though I havent tried them yet...

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

_Ex_

First off, variety is the spice of gaming. If your gaming is getting boring, try genres or platforms that are new to you. Mix it up. Secondly, as you get older priorities shift in life (or they should if you are a healthy functioning adult). That means hobbies shift as well. Your desire to play video games will come and go as a result. And that's good, because it's healthy to have different hobbies. Play a video game for a night, next night read a book or watch a film. Go to a museum or play a board game. Get outside on the weekend and go hike or bike somewhere, don't spend an entire weekend just binging a JRPG. Spend time with family and friends (never know when they'll be gone) and pursuing intimate relationships. Actually live life beyond the self-indulgent pursuit of pixels. Video games are awesome as entertainment, but they should not be a lifestyle. Living a full and varied life should be your focus, instead of Platinum-ing the latest AAA wankfest. That's the advice from someone who's been video gaming for over forty years now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mean I called it last year when I said that these games are going to feel way too samey. Even Elden Rings feels too samey to me. It's just a byproduct of having games designed around 2005 era hardware. Sure we got a good upgrade in RAM and GPU last gen, but all thats done is take those linear PS3 game and put them in an open world. After, 17 mother fucking years of playing the same games over and over again, of course you are having a midlife crisis. Thats exactly what happens when you marry in your late 20s and hit a mid life crisis in your mid 40s. 17 years of fucking the same pussy over and over again until you cant fucking stand it anymore.

The industry has stagnated beyond belief. They are just a bunch of hacks who refuse to innovate. Who refuse to go back and redesign their games. They are scared of change. Scared of new IPs. ND used to have a new IP or two in every gen. ZERO this gen. And thats arguably the best studio in the industry today. I am not a fan of BOTW, but man it felt way more different than Elden Rings does. Elden Rings is basically demon souls set in the open world. At least BOTW felt fresh and unique compared to older Zelda games. And again this is the best most productive and critically acclaimed studio of all time. If they have stagnated then what hope do other studios like GG have?

I think the easy fix is to go back and simply focus on what they were trying to do in the PS2 era. Take what Kojima tried to do with A.I and use this damn next gen CPU to improve A.I so that fighting just one enemy is satisfying. Killing thousands of enemies per campaign has lost its luster. Far Cry 1's A.I was cheap and brutal at times but it was a step in the right direction. It was exciting to get your ass handed to you by enemies. Thats a 2005 game. Half Life 2 did things with physics that we are not doing today 18 years later. Why have we regressed instead of leaping forward THREE gens later? SOTC had giant enemy battles and yet Horizon cant do a simple boss fight with a horus machine they have been teasing for two games? Why? Why do we have worse destruction than we did in 2002's Red Faction? Why is Halo 2's E3 demo still more dynamic and larger in scale than ANY battle in Halo Infinite? Why are we celebrating GT7 for including a mode that was already in 2004's GT4? THAT'S the hook for the 7th entry in the illustrious franchise? We can finally have something we have always had?

Throw away everything and start by focusing on A.I, physics, destruction, dynamic gameplay or gamers will continue to check out. Sadly, Elden rings commerical success proves everyone will continue to make everything open world and make games longer instead of more unique.

Last edited:
Priorities, when I get older, I got too many things to think about, family, work, health etc. But when I was younger I only thought about myself.
Yup^

Time and priorities becomes a big factor with age. For example, when xbox announced the showcase in June I was so unimpressed by it because in my mind that's a +30 day wait to watch the showcase than another 3-6 month wait to play the games that will be shown. When I was younger I would not have thought like that. Time becomes more valuable with age so it does factor into the way we view things we use to enjoy and how we prioritize hobbies.

Last edited:

Ristifer

Honestly, I've felt the same way. But I'm going to try to get back into PC gaming and go from there. The new consoles are great and all, but I'd be lying if I said that I was interested in a bunch of games coming out. I feel like every single time a new game is announced, I have to hold my breath about what annoying crap is going to follow (i.e. monetization, battle passes, live services, delays, bugs, endless patches, more delays, removal of modes, quality vs. performance modes, etc.). Feels like the planets have to align for a game to be announced these days and not have it be a total mess. I understand delays and patches and all that, but it gets a bit old. It deflates the anticipation for me, to the point where once the game actually releases, it feels like it's already run out of steam.

Ultra Donny

For me the joy of gaming comes and goes in cycles. Right now I'm in a down period. Took a brake from Elden ring and I'm enjoying my vinyl collecting and painting Warhammer figures. The urge to play Xbox will come back eventually I suppose. It always does. Do something you enjoy instead of gaming in the mean time.

Played both 3DS games recently. Had an absolute blast. Never thought they would be so good, and so well made.

Previous entry I had played was the one on NES, when I was a kid lol. Awesome game.
Yep, a lot of people don't know how good they are. Triple Deluxe started a new style of Kirby. The new Switch game is in the same style as the two 3DS games, but is even better.

The first Switch game is okay, but was going for a slightly different multiplayer style. Forgotten Land is basically Triple Deluxe 3.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I feel like its the open world games...In the past year I ran through elden ring, far cry 6, horizonf orbidden west, halo infinite, dying light 2, and a whole host of other open world games and after finishing each one I instantly disliked games for awhile unless I was playing something quick and simple(Actually got me back to playing online games I can jump in and jump out of when I'd put those down years ago lol)...Try and break up the types of games you play...indies are a good source for a break from the usual by the formula approach of the bigger releases IMO...As far as myself is concerned i've been severely disappointed in the writing in the 'bigger games' for the past 4 or 5 years.
I feel the same way. I overdosed on Elden Ring and all I enjoy playing now is weird small indies or walking sims. Just games that require zero effort. Not that I have a problem with games I like being really big or long, on the contrary, but I accept that at my age they just wear me out and require a lot of recharge time. I really wanna play Dying Light 2 but no way am I touching it 'till much later this year.

Isa

Gold Member
I think you're not wrong OP. Only beset by what you accurately brought up by a slow start to the new gen. Apart from the N64 I don't recall such a slow start. Most exclusively next-gen releases are so few and far between, much less what one individual might want in a game that the selection is potentially pretty slim. Personally I'm burnt out on modern gaming, and media in general. There are several good points made other posters in the thread, but SlimySnake really hits home to me. The current state of the industry doesn't really allow for much innovation and experimentation with some exceptions. I've been focusing on games that really appeal to me and seem fun, along with going through games that I've had in my backlog. I really do long for shorter games that are more to the point. But it seems most companies don't want to put out a product since many demographics aren't willing to pay the price. Hence the constant trends since PS3/360 that have evolved into the weird market beast we know today.

I still get caught up in the FOMO since the damn companies are like "preorder now or lose out on some amazing skin or mission!". But I find variety to be the true spice, along with really focusing on games that entice you. In between big titles I go back to some golden oldies I love, toss in a new oldie I've never heard of or had the chance to play, then a more modern title. I steer clear of checklist gaming now, and especially open worlds if I can help it. Save for a few rpgs. I even bounced off of Elden Ring. Many of my most anticipated games are on Switch this year showing that its not some need for graphical fidelity, which could be nice though. No my main requirement is fun, then artistic appeal. But these can be switched around.

I honestly think the gaming industry is setting itself up for failure as they are pushing the older generation out with their monetary and game design practices. People may scoff at the them, saying let them go. But eventually the younger crowd will start to disperse as they too grow tired of being nickel and dimed as well as growing bored of such repetitive game design. I don't think it can sustain itself in the long term unless consumer tastes change. But I hope it can rekindle that fiery passion of yesteryear because when games are on point, they are frickin' amazing experiences. Its a damn fine medium that like any other successful venture has succumbed to greed and trend chasing unfortunately.

I feel exactly the same way. I was hyped for Horizon Forbidden West because I loved the first game... I just can't get into the new one. It's so boring to me. I don't know what happened, but I just can't play it.

Also, I feel like all the new games coming out are geared towards kids who play fortnite.

Where are all the adventure games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider? Where are the good horror games? Where are the good fun driving games that aren't hardcore simulators? Dirt 5 came close but that game has issues of it's own.

I'm hyped for Skate 4 though. It's been a while since we've gotten a real skateboarding game.

I feel so out of the loop other than that.

Labadal

Play a few older games. If this is still how you feel, take a break. Either you will come back, or you won't. I took more than a year off from gaming a few years ago. Now, I am playing more than ever. Some friends did the same, but some never came back, while other still play. I think this is just a natural thing, to be honest.

Fredrik

I have 3 advices, from a 46 year old who have somehow survived as a gamer since the early 80s.

1. Play Elden Ring.
For me it ticks all my boxes for how a game should be and this is without belonging in the git gud crowd, I have no serious ambitions to ever manage to finish the game but I love what I’m playing. Let every boss fight be a victory and see how far you can come but don’t let frustration ruin the fun, just go elsewhere if you hit a difficulty wall. It has a lazer focus on gameplay and exploration like no other game since Super Metroid or maybe Zelda Breath of the Wild, it’s not perfect but very close. Don’t miss it!

2. Play retro games.
Whenever I find myself questioning why I invest so much time and money on games I go back to my roots. I play Commodore 64 games, Amiga, SNES, 80s Arcade games. Try it! It’ll be enlightening to see what kicked it all off.

3. Take a break and do something else.
This might sound like giving up on gaming but I think it’s important, should be number 1 now that I think about it.
I alternate between hobbies constantly. Sometimes I’m just sick of gaming, nothing is fun, everything is too violent, no big games are on the horizon, whatever. So then I take a break. And start drawing something, sometimes gaming related, sometimes a hot lady, whatever pops up in my mind, or I just let my feelings out on the guitar or rearrange the aquariums or whatever. Don’t see it as a failure to take a break. It can go days, sometimes weeks, until I play games again. When I’m back I usually go in with lots of inspiration again.

And don’t make a big deal out of this! Most people hit this wall sooner later, no matter what it’s about.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Probably a natural occurring phase. Shits it what it is.i use substances to enhance shit but I wouldn't recommend that... Take care bro <3

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I have 3 advices, from a 46 year old who have somehow survived as a gamer since the early 80s.

1. Play Elden Ring.
For me it ticks all my boxes for how a game should be and this is without belonging in the git gud crowd, I have no serious ambitions to ever manage to finish the game but I love what I’m playing. It has a lazer focus on gameplay and exploration like no other game since Super Metroid or maybe Zelda Breath of the Wild.

2. Play retro games.
Whenever I find myself questioning why I invest so much time and money on games I go back to my roots. I play Commodore 64 games, Amiga, SNES, 80s Arcade games. It’s always enlightening to see what kicked it all off.

This might sound like giving up on gaming but I think it’s important, should be number 1 now that I think about it.
I alternate between hobbies constantly. Sometimes I’m just sick of gaming, nothing is fun, everything is too violent, no big games are on the horizon, whatever. So then I take a break. And start drawing something, sometimes gaming related, sometimes a hot lady, whatever pops up in my mind, or I just let my feelings out on the guitar or rearrange the aquariums or whatever. It can go days, sometimes weeks, until I play games again. When I’m back I usually go in with lots of inspiration again.

Great post.

Elden Ring really made my a celldweller again. Games nowadays are dark, bloated and been there done that. Arcade games are easy to pick up and mostly cheerful.

Oh I try to walk for at least an hour a day, that helps..

But hey sometimes your done doing shit so focus on other stuff..That's life man

For what its worth; I've always liked your posts DonJorginho DonJorginho For reàl.

And for what its worth, I'm like 99% in the dark regarding game news etc If something gets my interest I'll wait for pre release stuff.. to much non news and fluffy hype "articles" makes me.depressed lol

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I also made a thread on visual clarity a while back with Halo. I think it's a huge issue that few people are aware of or really talk about. Visual clarity = ease of gameplay. More complex graphics/visual design = more difficulty with gameplay.

Cluttered visual language means that things have to be highlighted in bright neon or Witcher vision to even tell what you're interacting with. It can be subconsciously stressful and unenjoyable.

And that's just visual language. Modern games are off putting in many other ways as well: quest design, padding, emphasis on excess story with little payoff, etc.
The Office Reaction GIF

tygertrip

TLDR: I'm not enjoying new video game releases as much anymore, even games I'm eagerly hyped for, and am spending less and less time gaming even when I have free time, am I falling out of love with gaming? Or is this just a slow start to the generation?

I love video games.

They have been the love of my life since the days I'd watch my older sister play the likes of Majora's Mask all the way to now where I've managed to get to a position where I have every platform I want to play on at my fingertips, which was something I never really had as a child in a working class household.

Video games have been a source of many of my greatest childhood moments and have also spawned countless memories that have stuck with me long into my teenage years and now my young adulthood.

I'm pretty lucky to have a job currently where I get 8+ weeks off a year (not fully paid but I earn more than enough to not feel that), so this means that gaming is something I can still do alongside other hobbies. However in recent months especially, I've just somewhat lost the passion to play any new releases.

Let's look at Horizon II for example, I followed every crumb of news for this game like I was being starved, I was losing sleep knowing it was only so and so days away, I was talking about it to my friends and I was avidly awaiting to play it. But like most new releases this year, after around 10-15 hours I've had enough and can't find the motivation to play any further.

This isn't because it's a bad game, I simply just can't bring myself to play games that much anymore, I'm actively choosing doing monotonous tasks or hobbies I don't even enjoy all that much over gaming when I have the time. I'll sit down and watch some football match I don't care about when I could be playing the 10+ new releases that I've got waiting to be downloaded. But for some reason something isn't clicking.

This generation was the one I went into most excited for l, but if I look at all the releases that have come out since the launches of both consoles, there are only a few I've played to completion.

(and two of these games I had to push myself through the final few hours to finish.)

Every other game since the PS5/XSX launch I've bought with anticipation, initially enjoyed, then gotten bored with and neglected.

Am I just being over dramatic and it's just been a slow start to the generation? Is this just simply me finding new interests and a normal phase of life?

I know this is a long old bunch of bollocks I'm writing at ten to one in the morning like a madman before work, but it's just dawning on me that the hobby I spend hundreds if not thousands of pounds towards, simply isn't satisfying me enough anymore, and I don't want it to be that way.

Thanks for reading my load of codswallop that isn't really that serious but you know, just gotta be my old overly dramatic self, it's probably nothing but yeah enjoy my spiral into madness until Kojima announces Death Stranding II.

kanye west thank you GIF
You're just getting older, get used to it. Having said that, I'm nearing 50, and this new generation has revitalized my love of gaming, so I don't know. It could just be that my kids have gotten old enough that I'm not exhausted from taking care of them constantly. Honestly though, IMO, gaming has gotten much better in the last decade. Remember when every game was easy as hell and was a COD wannabe?

tygertrip

1. Play Elden Ring.
For me it ticks all my boxes for how a game should be and this is without belonging in the git gud crowd, I have no serious ambitions to ever manage to finish the game but I love what I’m playing. Let every boss fight be a victory and see how far you can come but don’t let frustration ruin the fun, just go elsewhere if you hit a difficulty wall. It has a lazer focus on gameplay and exploration like no other game since Super Metroid or maybe Zelda Breath of the Wild, it’s not perfect but very close. Don’t miss it!

2. Play retro games.
Whenever I find myself questioning why I invest so much time and money on games I go back to my roots. I play Commodore 64 games, Amiga, SNES, 80s Arcade games. Try it! It’ll be enlightening to see what kicked it all off.

I alternate between hobbies constantly. Sometimes I’m just sick of gaming, nothing is fun, everything is too violent, no big games are on the horizon, whatever. So then I take a break. And start drawing something, sometimes gaming related, sometimes a hot lady, whatever pops up in my mind, or I just let my feelings out on the guitar or rearrange the aquariums or whatever. Don’t see it as a failure to take a break. It can go days, sometimes weeks, until I play games again. When I’m back I usually go in with lots of inspiration again.

And don’t make a big deal out of this! Most people hit this wall sooner later, no matter what it’s about.
Listen to this man, I agree COMPLETELY. Like, wow, this dude is in my brain or something.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
TLDR: I'm not enjoying new video game releases as much anymore, even games I'm eagerly hyped for, and am spending less and less time gaming even when I have free time, am I falling out of love with gaming? Or is this just a slow start to the generation?

I love video games.

They have been the love of my life since the days I'd watch my older sister play the likes of Majora's Mask all the way to now where I've managed to get to a position where I have every platform I want to play on at my fingertips, which was something I never really had as a child in a working class household.

Video games have been a source of many of my greatest childhood moments and have also spawned countless memories that have stuck with me long into my teenage years and now my young adulthood.

I'm pretty lucky to have a job currently where I get 8+ weeks off a year (not fully paid but I earn more than enough to not feel that), so this means that gaming is something I can still do alongside other hobbies. However in recent months especially, I've just somewhat lost the passion to play any new releases.

Let's look at Horizon II for example, I followed every crumb of news for this game like I was being starved, I was losing sleep knowing it was only so and so days away, I was talking about it to my friends and I was avidly awaiting to play it. But like most new releases this year, after around 10-15 hours I've had enough and can't find the motivation to play any further.

This isn't because it's a bad game, I simply just can't bring myself to play games that much anymore, I'm actively choosing doing monotonous tasks or hobbies I don't even enjoy all that much over gaming when I have the time. I'll sit down and watch some football match I don't care about when I could be playing the 10+ new releases that I've got waiting to be downloaded. But for some reason something isn't clicking.

This generation was the one I went into most excited for l, but if I look at all the releases that have come out since the launches of both consoles, there are only a few I've played to completion.

(and two of these games I had to push myself through the final few hours to finish.)

Every other game since the PS5/XSX launch I've bought with anticipation, initially enjoyed, then gotten bored with and neglected.

Am I just being over dramatic and it's just been a slow start to the generation? Is this just simply me finding new interests and a normal phase of life?

I know this is a long old bunch of bollocks I'm writing at ten to one in the morning like a madman before work, but it's just dawning on me that the hobby I spend hundreds if not thousands of pounds towards, simply isn't satisfying me enough anymore, and I don't want it to be that way.

Thanks for reading my load of codswallop that isn't really that serious but you know, just gotta be my old overly dramatic self, it's probably nothing but yeah enjoy my spiral into madness until Kojima announces Death Stranding II.

kanye west thank you GIF
In the same boat. I believe it's Because we see so few quality releases anymore. Too many cookie cutter formulated games these days.

saintjules

I am actually feeling like I am getting to that point. Here I am checking the forums daily for news on games and I end up not doing much by the time the new games get released.

Played Horizon for what felt like maybe a few hours. I think it's trying to find the motivation in trying to play them in the first place. Maybe I need to play shorter games, not sure.

Overall I'm still excited to play games funny to say, but I have other priorities that take up the time and thus I don't get to them.

Last edited:

mekes

I feel similarly. I had a similar upbringing with games.

These days there are certain games that make me feel like lots of other games don't respect my time. By the end of a gen I can probably choose 10 games that I feel I truly enjoyed and look back positively on.

But the thing is. I still have the memories of that inner child who got excited for every single game. I still keep up to date on games that are releasing. Some I get excited for despite being unsure if I will enjoy them. Usually I don't enjoy them. Some I don't even try.

I've been trying to make some sense of my relationship with gaming for a few years now. I've narrowed it down to this. I know what I enjoy and it's a narrow selection of games compared to my younger years. But I still enjoy keeping completely up to date with what's coming and when.

I'll buy games because people on here recommend them. I'll buy a game because it has a great meta score. Because I would have enjoyed it when I was younger. And usually I end up feeling like my time isn't being respected by playing these games.

By this point I want a great story, great controls, a challenge. The stars need to align for me to enjoy a game. The last AAA game I enjoyed that wasn't from FromSoft was RE2 remaster. And before that The Witcher 3. Recent but not "recent" games.

And I still love gaming. But life's a lot better when I stop myself from buying the majority of games I find an interest in. And therefore stop wondering if I don't enjoy something I always tell myself I do.

I realized that i now only enjoy games that are actually gameplay heavy. Love Elden Ring, Hate Horizon Forbidden West, Love Returnal, Hate Days Gone. I think I'm in a gameplay above all phase. I'm worried that i won't be into God of War Ragnarok for this reason. Hopefully it's not a snooze fest story like HFW.

TonyK

Feeling the same before and after Elden Ring. But I enjoyed Elden Ring during my 100 hours playtime so the problem is not me, are the games. If not, I would'nt enjoyed Elden Ring, right?

This generation it's being weird. I don't know if it will get better, but most of new AAA games plays like shit, they are only "follow the designer's orders" simulators. Now I'm forcing myself to play Cyberpunk, but I barely can play for 20 minutes before quiting it, astounded by how bad it's designed.

MadPanda

Banned
I understand you as I'm not hyped for many games too, but I still enjoy gaming. I find it really hard to get into a game, those initial couple of hours are so difficult to me as I don't care for its characters, story, world, anything. So after 15 minutes I quit a game and start Warzone, as it's just readily available. If I think back, I can't remember ten games in the last 2 years which were notable.

I get more and more picky with the games I want to play. I use to be able to handle a mediocre game, these days I'll drop it at the first opportunity.

I also don't get excited about long running series that don't change much from game to game, even if I used to like them. I see people getting excited about Pokemon and I just can't relate at all (but I love the original one on Game Boy).

But damn if I don't think it's great when I play something that I think is truly special like Elden Ring recently.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I love video games.

kanye west thank you GIF
I feel you my man. Gaming today, to me, just feels hollow. Gone are the days of the SNES vs Mega Drive/Genesis rivalry. Today everyone pretends like they're best friends. Every game released on both consoles is practically identical (minus a few P's on 1 console) and most "tentpole" games are just fucking boring! On the SNES/MD days you'd get the "same" game yet it was completely different on the console. Perfect example being Aladdin! Today you get 90% of games on PS5/Series X that are identical! No one willing to take risks anymore, especially when spending hundreds of millions of dollars.

Interestingly enough, the game i've had the most fun with this year was Ghostwire Tokyo! Other than that, I have not really gotten into gaming much lately and really feel either i'm passing it by or it just isn't for me anymore.

I am looking at getting back into PC gaming and ditching consoles of today. I have a Quest 2 headset for PCVR gaming so hopefully that sparks something in me. If not, I think I'm happy gaming past consoles forever and leaving today's vapid, hollow, (largely) monotonous crap behind.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'd recommend one of those:
  • Play something from the past: go retro.
  • Play something from the future: go VR.
  • Play something new or out of your comfort zone. Persona 5 if you aren't into JRPGs, or Metal Gear Rising if you aren't into action games... Lots of options.
  • Play something cool, like Dragon's Dogma.
Last option is extremely biased, but any of the other 3 should work.

How's your gaming space set up? I was barely beating any games until I moved shit around and made playing everything I own way more accessible. I legit sit down in one chair in front of my TV and can turn on any console and play any game without standing up. Moved my old PC and reduced it down to a small desk because it's underpowered and was taking up too much room. Threw out some old stuff I didn't need which made everything more spacious and bam. Beaten 10+ games this year alone.

Africangamer30

Neo Member

I love video games.

kanye west thank you GIF
Aka TOO MANY LIVE SERVICE GAMES. Battlefield 2042 turned into apex 2042 and halo infinite turned too destiny. Thats just two games that changed there whole identify too fit the live service machine🤑🤑. Its no longer about making passionate fun games its know how much money can we squeeze out of you.
Even games like star wars battlefront on xbox one and ps4. We all remember what they did too that game. Dont get me started on open world game's it used too be a big map with just enough to keep the gamer ingaged. Know its how long can we keep them on the game, lets put 100 of the same activities all over the map. Comment if this formula sounds familiar. Kill the enemy here and it turns into a outpost, random encounter that has you going the Complete opposite of where your already heading(rdr2👀) and if you dont do it than it effects your good/bad stats. Gran turismo 7(fixed) we want you too fell like your buying a real super car so its should be way too expensive ingame🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️. Fh5 log in every week to get a car you can't buy ingame or with cash. If you dont long in that week you'll miss out tell next month. Gaming has become a chore and no longer meant too really entertain us. Just keep us engaged long enough to play evey week.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm the same way. I spent 90% of the PS4 gen playing Skate 2/3 on the PS3 and classic RE on the PSX.

Just stick with what you like, even it's the same game. I never force myself to play through something. So many options, if I'm gonna dedicate time to gaming I want to enjoy the session 100% of the time.

Lots of games go unfinished but I also never get frustrated or find myself being bored. It then makes it so much sweeter when you really connect with something modern (looking at you Elden Ring and Ghostwire). Feb-May were gaming heaven for me.

Now I'm back to older stuff, settled on DQ11 & CVX, really enjoying my time with them.

Top Bottom