• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't enjoy playing Okami - What's wrong with me?

Who's the best wolf on Nintendo-systems?

• Total voters

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
I had it on the PS2 and the PS3 HD version, and couldn't get into it on either occasion, though I tried a few times. The interminable (and unskippable) intro cut scene was far too long and far too much exposition for one section. Let me play the game, and introduce that stuff in a bit more of a drip feed fashion, FFS.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Okami's artstyle is brilliant. The game is average though and worse than almost all Zeldas (on par with TWW and BotW).

• Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

Handel

It has an awfully slow beginning, but it picks up pace later. It's in my top 10 games of all time, and I think the best endorsement I could give it is that all the little things that nagged at me early like the gibberish speech and somewhat Issun, became absolutely endearing by the end of the game, to the point that one of the cutscenes during the final boss fight always manages to bring a tear to my eye whenever I rewatch it. It's a game that is vastly rewarding to stick with to the end, more then any other lengthy game I played.

If you can't take the art style though, imo the best in all of gaming, then I don't know if there's any helping you. People like to dismiss the game as just being loved for it's art which is far from the truth, but any game I hated the art style of I wouldn't want to play for 40-60 hours. Maybe it'll grow on you, but that's all I can offer. It's soundtrack is excellent, it's characters endearing, it's story a great mix of humorous and bittersweet, it's gameplay with the brush fairly unique and provides a nice variety with your standard attacks.

I have no issue calling it one of the greatest games of all time. To me it's not style over substance, it's style is substance.

It also has the best final boss theme of all time :

but any game I hated the art style of I wouldn't want to play for 40-60 hours.

Yes, I'm the same. I have no issue with bad graphics in a game, but a 'bad' artstyle ruins everything. For example, Codename Steam for 3DS actually had good gameplay, but tbe artstyle was such a turnoff, I couldn't bother with it.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It was a great game even on Ps2. Biggest problem is it's difficulty; it's too easy. Brush moves are hard to make and yeah, character "noise effect" is irritating but these are no big deal. Concept, art, gameplay, progression, everything beautiful. It's a classic for me.

But if you didn't like it in beginning, i don't see a future between you two. I loved it when i build my first bridge with it.

Porcile

Yeah, it ends up a drag but that first time you run around with the Shinshu Field music playing in the background is some deep shit.

The game is definitely over-long and the (original) unskippable intro was a slog to get through.

I distinctly recall looking at previews of the game and find the art-style admirable but not especially appealing as it looked like it was trying far too hard to be 'worthy' of the source material.
I'm glad I played the game and am a fan of it.
I found that there was a great deal more humour and personality throughout the game than the art-style suggested. And I particularly liked the simplistic but effective way the human characters sort of 'wobbled' as they conversed with you.

Not perfect by any means, but a game I am glad I saw through to its end - which was extremely heartwarming and satisfying.

If it's not clicking with you then move on. Life's too short.

Top Bottom