• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don’t have fast enough internet for this to be a small problem.

RPS37

Today I go to turn on my PS4 Pro.
It’s stuck in rest mode and won’t turn on.
I unplug it from the wall and turn it back on.
It needs to rebuild the database and repair my external hdd.
I play some TLOU2 and save. I start up Dreams for a few minutes. I see that Apex Legends is downloading an update.
The console freezes. I eventually turn on my PS4 and the external HDD is not being recognized at all.
All 600GB+ of games are saying “To start this application, connect the extended storage device it is installed on. To install this application on another storage device, first delete it, and then download it again or insert a disc for it”

This is most likely Seagate’s fault. I only got the HDD back in October, so I think I can have Amazon replace it.
I dunno...

Update: the PS4 sees the drive and will let me format it. I don’t want to.
I should probably mention I plugged the HDD into my laptop to check if it was dead and the laptop saw it as a PS4 game drive. It’s not making any weird noises or anything either.

Last edited:

RPS37

PS4 Pro? WTF is that?

Edit: I just researched it. According, to this, the "PlayStation 4 Pro was a primitive gaming device used in RPS37 RPS37 's time."

Maybe you should get one of these modern gaming machines?
That doesn’t seem like the best idea at this time. I hear those new things got problems with external hard drives too.

greyshark

Today I go to turn on my PS4 Pro.
It’s stuck in rest mode and won’t turn on.
I unplug it from the wall and turn it back on.
It needs to rebuild the database and repair my external hdd.
I play some TLOU2 and save. I start up Dreams for a few minutes. I see that Apex Legends is downloading an update.
The console freezes. I eventually turn on my PS4 and the external HDD is not being recognized at all.
All 600GB+ of games are saying “To start this application, connect the extended storage device it is installed on. To install this application on another storage device, first delete it, and then download it again or insert a disc for it”

This is most likely Seagate’s fault. I only got the HDD back in October, so I think I can have Amazon replace it.
I dunno...

Update: the PS4 sees the drive and will let me format it. I don’t want to.
I should probably mention I plugged the HDD into my laptop to check if it was dead and the laptop saw it as a PS4 game drive. It’s not making any weird noises or anything either.

How many different games a day do you play? Can’t you initiate a re-download once per night before going to bed?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 Pro? WTF is that?

Edit: I just researched it. According, to this, the "PlayStation 4 Pro was a primitive gaming device used in RPS37 RPS37 's time."

Maybe you should get one of these modern gaming machines?
What if he doesn't want to beta test a console and doesn't want to spend 1k for it because scalpers?

K.S v2.0

Banned
'Members when Seagate DeskStar HDD's used to be called Death Stars coz of the rate they died at?

I 'members.

johntown

Banned
What I’m going to have to do. Just annoying.

My PC is no longer recognizing it it seems. How big of a moron am I if I just have Amazon send a replacement?
Sure you can do that. Seagate is known for having issues. Western Digital is good or Samsung if getting an SSD.

Avoid Seagate in the future.

K.S v2.0

Banned
If you have a PS4 Pro you should put an SSD in it anyway. Unlike vanilla PS4, Pro can actually make use of an SSD. Just stick a Samsung EVO SSD in there and call it a day.

Shnip

Neo Member
I’ve only had this problem with a WesternDigital but it was because of the actual port on my cheap ass laptop when I used it for that. The cord itself wore out. It could maybe just be the cord? Did you try unplugging it from the actual PS4 and then plugging that back in? When this has happened to me on my PS4 because of a power outage (I live in Hurricane city.... literally happens at least 1-2x a year.....) I usually unplug everything, give it a second to fully reboot, then restart everything and give it a few minutes to “repair” etc. After a few minutes being on the home screen, it takes a while for it to begin reading again.... a while, meaning about 10-20 minutes. But then it usually seems fine.

You said your laptop isn’t reading it? What type of laptop is it, PC or Mac?

RPS37

If you have a PS4 Pro you should put an SSD in it anyway. Unlike vanilla PS4, Pro can actually make use of an SSD. Just stick a Samsung EVO SSD in there and call it a day.
The external HDD is just a stopgap until I can get a PS5.

err...a stopgap for when I get a PS5?

Last edited:

Shakka43

What I’m going to have to do. Just annoying.

My PC is no longer recognizing it it seems. How big of a moron am I if I just have Amazon send a replacement?
I've had one(backup plus 4tb) for over 3 years, now connected to my PS5 and haven't had any issues with it. You just got unlucky with that one, a replacement should be fine.

K.S v2.0

Banned
The external HDD is just a stopgap until I can get a PS5.

err...a stopgap for when I get a PS5?

Get an external SSD, they're not that much more nowadays but the performance difference is big. They also won't die as easily as mechanical HDD's.

RPS37

I got a replacement drive, but since all of my games were on the broken drive I get this screen for all of my games
8dQavq8.jpg

Where do I need to delete the game from? How do I make sure I don’t lose my saves? If I delete the game from my internal, will I keep my saves?

HALP!

Top Bottom