• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I do not mind delays!

ManaByte

Gold Member
If only there was some big event of sorts that Microsoft could use to announce games coming this year, maybe like an E3 style press conference or something?
Animated GIF

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
At this point, it’s about project management, and people management, big changes are more than likely coming to the gaming division at Xbox. It has to. All those game studios should net you at least 1 banger each year at a minimum.
Yeah, if im being honest the only Xbox games that really lived up to the hype were the Gears 4 and 5. Weren’t delayed and we’re solid games. Rod Ferguson lead development of both and he should be the one who overseas game development. He’s the one who can keep teams on track and will make the hard development decisions. Keep Phil as the guy in charge of the overall brand

OrangeSun77

Neo Member
I often read this comment from some as "take as long as you need", it doesn't work that way, delaying a game is expensive for the studio, they can't take as long as they want, they have a budget and a deadline to meet with shareholders, investors, the game comes out when they can't be financed anymore, not when it's completely polished and finished.

Papacheeks

Banned
If only there was some big event of sorts that Microsoft could use to announce games coming this year, maybe like an E3 style press conference or something?

So we are suppose to ignore half a year? January, February, March, APril, May, June? And you see Xbox studios launching Games in July, August, September, October? Forza is probably October. But other than that and the rumored Gears collection what have they released so far this year we are at the half way point already and they have released nothing.

So please deflect some more.

So we are suppose to ignore half a year? January, February, March, APril, May, June? And you see Xbox studios launching Games in July, August, September, October? Forza is probably October. But other than that and the rumored Gears collection what have they released so far this year we are at the half way point already and they have released nothing.

So please deflect some more.

Well you probably ignored the 2nd half of 2021 by Sony, why is it suddenly that the winter and spring being the only thing that matters? Maybe because Sony released a game in that time period so Sony fanboys can brag about it. The fact you consider that response "deflecting" is beyond hilarious. it's literally the middle of May, less than 1 month from a major Xbox showcase, and you're pretending that because they haven't announced anything "PRIOR TO THEIR BIG SHOWCASE" that they don't have anything for the rest of the year. Having a bad spring is at worst annoying, not some "massive" issue that is inexcusable, especially when Microsoft traditionally has favored the Fall window over the Spring

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I didn't mind delays in 360 era. So many games releasing EACH MONTH.
Now we get big AAA games maybe.... 1 or 2 per year if that? AA no longer exists and Indie games are depression simulators 90% of the time.
Look at 2007 and especially 2011. This ain't happening again

Tell me you have no idea about the modern gaming landscape without telling me you have no idea about the modern gaming landscape.

He said what games have been released so far this year, press conferences can't change that. It's May! Almost half a year with nothing, nadda.

They were quoting someone who was responding about "year and a half of no games". And they literally released two major games in late fall whereas Sony had nothing, so basically if Microsoft released Halo Infinite a couple weeks later they would be fine because they'd have a 2022 game. Do you see how ridiculous that logic is?

NikuNashi

The fact you consider that response "deflecting" is beyond hilarious. it's literally the middle of May, less than 1 month from a major Xbox showcase, and you're pretending that because they haven't announced anything "PRIOR TO THEIR BIG SHOWCASE"

Are you ok? How is revealing a few logos and some cinematics going to retroactively fix the fact that no games have been released for 5 months?

Papacheeks

Banned
Well you probably ignored the 2nd half of 2021 by Sony, why is it suddenly that the winter and spring being the only thing that matters? Maybe because Sony released a game in that time period so Sony fanboys can brag about it. The fact you consider that response "deflecting" is beyond hilarious. it's literally the middle of May, less than 1 month from a major Xbox showcase, and you're pretending that because they haven't announced anything "PRIOR TO THEIR BIG SHOWCASE" that they don't have anything for the rest of the year. Having a bad spring is at worst annoying, not some "massive" issue that is inexcusable, especially when Microsoft traditionally has favored the Fall window over the Spring

Sony literally put out MLB THE SHOW, RETURNAL, and Ratchet from their first party in 2021. They would have had more but they moved GT7 and Horizon for further polish and a lot of people were bummed and it was felt in their later half of their lineup. Not denying that. But the thing that makes it easier to swallow is we've seen both those games.
They showed both games and gameplay for those games, On top of Sony padding out their year with Third party exclusive content that grabs eyes like deathloop and Kena which just took home a bunch of awards.

Games were not at the time available on Xbox. So for 2021 I consider those third party games part of Sony's curated slate. WHich is why Sony still does deals for timed exclusivity, and publishes games like Kena/Sifu.
Literally for a slate in 2022 they have partnered exclusive games like Sifu, First party GT7, Horizon, MLB the show, and exclusive like Forspoken which looks like the extra time is really doing the game justice which launches in October. Microsoft probably will have a couple titles for later part of the year along with Updates to Halo and the likes.

The issue is the in-consistency with Microsoft's internally managed studios. Sony for sure delays things, but they are more consistent when it comes to a curated slate.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What!? This year I played games like Triangle Strategy which is AA game, so is games like 13 Sentinels, Soul Hackers 2 and AI: The Somnium Files 2.
Do they hide these games on purpose?
Anyway. Nothing of interest to me

Bridges

I used to care about delays, but these days it's just an excuse to go back and knock out something else in the backlog. The only delay that still stings is BOTW2.

That is a game I need.

Agreed better delay a game than release it in a bad state.

Also I'm not one of these people who believe in announcing a game too early either.

I hate that we have no idea what Sony is releasing for instance. I way preferred it when you had a good outlook on what's coming out in the next 2-5 years.

Now Sony seem so reluctant to say what's on their slate.

Are you ok? How is revealing a few logos and some cinematics going to retroactively fix the fact that no games have been released for 5 months?

Good to know you're just a fanboy so I can stop wasting my time on you

Sony literally put out MLB THE SHOW, RETURNAL, and Ratchet from their first party in 2021. They would have had more but they moved GT7 and Horizon for further polish and a lot of people were bummed and it was felt in their later half of their lineup. Not denying that. But the thing that makes it easier to swallow is we've seen both those games.
They showed both games and gameplay for those games, On top of Sony padding out their year with Third party exclusive content that grabs eyes like deathloop and Kena which just took home a bunch of awards.

Games were not at the time available on Xbox. So for 2021 I consider those third party games part of Sony's curated slate. WHich is why Sony still does deals for timed exclusivity, and publishes games like Kena/Sifu.
Literally for a slate in 2022 they have partnered exclusive games like Sifu, First party GT7, Horizon, MLB the show, and exclusive like Forspoken which looks like the extra time is really doing the game justice which launches in October. Microsoft probably will have a couple titles for later part of the year along with Updates to Halo and the likes.

The issue is the in-consistency with Microsoft's internally managed studios. Sony for sure delays things, but they are more consistent when it comes to a curated slate.

So what you're saying is "when" games come out isn't that big of a deal, glad to see we're on the same page, if Xbox releases 2-3 games in the fall it will be the same as Sony

Also I'll never consider moneyhatted 3rd party games ( or really any 3rd party exclusive in general, unless they had a significant role in development) as part of Xbox or Sony's lineup.

Nobody's denying that Xbox's 1st party hasn't delivered to expectation yet, but the keyword there is yet, unless you believe all those studios will magically start decreasing in quality simply because they're only making Xbox games now. Sony's arguably only "more consistent" because up until a few years ago they had like 3 times as many studios as Xbox did, and because they were super cozy with all the 3rd party Japanese devs who would avoid Xbox for basically no reason.

kingfey

Banned
Let me ask you this question?

Do you think these companies have 5 exclusive game ready for the entire year?

This was the same talking for Sony past year. After ratchet, there was no exclusive, until horizon Forbidden West.

Why can't people understand that?

There are time slot, which these companies target.
If you don't like it, then it's not the end of the world.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Same thing happened in 2021, gonna keep sucking for a few more years I bet. Honeslty this is why live service games do so well, always stuff going on.

Papacheeks

Banned
Good to know you're just a fanboy so I can stop wasting my time on you

So what you're saying is "when" games come out isn't that big of a deal, glad to see we're on the same page, if Xbox releases 2-3 games in the fall it will be the same as Sony

Also I'll never consider moneyhatted 3rd party games ( or really any 3rd party exclusive in general, unless they had a significant role in development) as part of Xbox or Sony's lineup.

Nobody's denying that Xbox's 1st party hasn't delivered to expectation yet, but the keyword there is yet, unless you believe all those studios will magically start decreasing in quality simply because they're only making Xbox games now. Sony's arguably only "more consistent" because up until a few years ago they had like 3 times as many studios as Xbox did, and because they were super cozy with all the 3rd party Japanese devs who would avoid Xbox for basically no reason.

No its not Sony literally has already released 3 first party titles, on top of published titles like Sifu, Forspoken.
And this is not inlcuding if God of war makes it this year. The big talking point is RARE has issues, pLAYGROUND has issues with Fable, The Initiative, undead labs all with issues. ANd literally its been 5 years since this big reinvestment.

You are tip toeing around the issue. And thats what Phil himself said quality and consistency are things they need to improve. Halo, Forza and FLight sim for internally made games, you can add PN2 to it. But halo literally came in hot and still has no content.
2020 they literally launched a new console without new big software. Sony literally had games out the gate people wanted and looking at NPD still do.
2019 was even worse with Crackdown 3 being a huge embarrassment and let down. Do you not see this pattern they have had, and we the fans have given them ample years to get their shit together.

And yet here we are.

What big game will MS launch this fall? WHAT GAME do they have thats on the same level as Horizon? Or God of war for that matter? If their big game is forza and a gears/fable collection, though for people like us I'm excited for that, people who paid $500 for a new console wont be as excited. Especially after seeing how MCC turned out.

You keep tip toeing so im going to put you on ignore

laters,

Well since you guys keep ignoring 2021, nothing will convince you guys anymore.

So I will say this.

Whiners gotta whine about this, until that showcase happens.

In the meantime, I will see how far you whining will go.
Is "Remember 2021" going to be the rallying cry for the next 6 years? The only people "whining" seem to be the ones desperately trying to do spin control for Phil. Why is it so hard to see that people want a steady stream of games? Waiting 18 months between major titles for a publisher the size of MS is fairly ridiculous. You don't have to be anti-Xbox or "whiny" to point this fact out. The histrionics have been mostly one-sided over the past several days.

iQuasarLV

I get it's frustrating to be waiting on a game and then gets hit with a massive delay. In some cases, delays can happen multiple times and for multiple years. It's ok to be disappointed but you should understand the alternative is far worse.

Games rushed out to a meet dead line that clearly needs more time. Examples like No man's sky and Cyberpunk 2077 come to mind. Often times these games get launched with known issues while the developer hopes to fix the issues with patches. I for one would rather play a finished polished product then a a half assed one that releases on time. Publishers like Nintendo and Rockstar are well known for their huge delays but for the most part their games are always polished upon release. I get delays suck but I understand it's part of the process!

*There are cases where delays are inexcusable due to various pour reasons. Cyberpunk mentioned earlier was simply inexcusable with the amount of time they had, Too Human is another example that was over a decade. Thats just two examples but you get the point. Often times these games finally release and end up mediocre to piss poor.
On the other end you get Star Citizen. /thread

There is a symbiotic relationship between creator and consumer. When one side fails to deliver, the other side is completely allowed to be insulted and angry.

Jaybe

I’d rather play a polished game, so a delay is fine. But Todd looks particularly stupid when they commit themselves to an exact date (an epic sounding one to boot) more than a year in advance and then strut around like the cock of the walk saying it’s written in ink. Don’t announce until your sure you can deliver, heck give yourself some padding. Rumour was Bayonetta 3 is already finished and Nintendo is simply waiting to pick/announce the release date.

kingfey

Banned
Is "Remember 2021" going to be the rallying cry for the next 6 years? The only people "whining" seem to be the ones desperately trying to do spin control for Phil. Why is it so hard to see that people want a steady stream of games? Waiting 18 months between major titles for a publisher the size of MS is fairly ridiculous. You don't have to be anti-Xbox or "whiny" to point this fact out. The histrionics have been mostly one-sided over the past several days.
Dude, the only one who is crying is you guys. No one is trying to damage control here.

Everyone knew what 2021 was. 7 months dry, before MS announced all their 2021 games on June e3.

People who were crying about xbox not having anything where shut down by that event.

So if you have any concern, wait for this upcoming showcase. Because you will get the games from that show.

If you don't care about it. Then continue to whine it here like kids.

Because we're sick of you guys doing this shit every time, there is an issue like this.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh rly?
I just don’t play every shit out there.

No, it just shows how horribly ignorant you are of the gaming landscape.

You claim that we get AAA games maybe 1-2 times per year - which is simply not true. There is at least 1-2 massive AAA games releasing *every* month. AA is bigger than ever with nearly three times the amount of AA budget titles releasing each year than AAA. Indies are such a wide gamut of genres, stories, and themes that claiming they are "Depression simulators" shows you have zero clue what you are talking about.

Saber

Gold Member
Good for you I guess?

Don't go around telling people how they should felt or they are wrong for feeling frustated(or even more so explaining detailed how so). Its ok to feel that way in the same way its ok to not.

And I tell that as someone who defended initially Cyberpubk for early delays, saying the same as you. After a few more delays my mind completelly changed since I felt like something was wrong, and the end results shows that delays are meanless if people won't work on it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Dude, the only one who is crying is you guys. No one is trying to damage control here.

Everyone knew what 2021 was. 7 months dry, before MS announced all their 2021 games on June e3.

People who were crying about xbox not having anything where shut down by that event.

So if you have any concern, wait for this upcoming showcase. Because you will get the games from that show.

If you don't care about it. Then continue to whine it here like kids.

Because we're sick of you guys doing this shit every time, there is an issue like this.

You are a literal console warrior for xbox. All you do is damage control on the platform. Everyone can see it, Kingfey. You are fooling *no one*.

Instead of putting so much effort into something so pathetic and worthless, go out and actually play some games. Talk about games you are enjoying and stop getting so butthurt that someone is critical about something related to your personal favorite plastic box.

Papacheeks

Banned
Lego sky Walker saga was delayed and look how great that game turned out. Not all delays have to be bad

The issue is Microsoft has done this time after time where they rally behind one or two big games for their entire year. 2020 halo was going to be the only big game launching with their brand new console?

They have issues delivering consistency and quality. No one in here is saying Bethesda can't put out games? They literally did this year and last year. But when you look at Gamepass slate you have nothing thats a big deal to grab people.

And it's weird because last year they made deals for Outriders, MLB, and Back 4 blood, Destiny expansion.

2021 was pretty decent. But it was padded with deals since they were lacking. Where are those big deals this year? It's like there is no backup plan for first party.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Delays are fine when needed. Having no games for a year or more is not.
Yep, that seems to be what everyone does not understand. No one is bitching about the delay, they are bitching about the total lack of anything else to full the calendar. If sony delayed ragnarok to next year, it wouldnt be as big an issue because they had two other very high quality releases this year. No one was mad at nintendo for delaying zelda 2 to next year, because they had a plethora of other games to release. Right now, it seems like redfall and starfield were microsofts only two titles for 2022

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Yep, that seems to be what everyone does not understand. No one is bitching about the delay, they are bitching about the total lack of anything else to full the calendar. If sony delayed ragnarok to next year, it wouldnt be as big an issue because they had two other very high quality releases this year. No one was mad at nintendo for delaying zelda 2 to next year, because they had a plethora of other games to release. Right now, it seems like redfall and starfield were microsofts only two titles for 2022
What big 2022 Titles aside from Horizon and Gran Turismo come out this year from Sony? Neither one of those games, scream system sellers to me. Ragnarok is def. gonna be a system seller. If it get's pushed back, it'll just be a pretty meddling year from everyone in my opinion.

ReBurn

Gold Member
it seems like everything is either indie or AAA these days. It would be great if there were more games in between that could be developed faster
I mind.

People specifically take multiple days off on release and you just delay? That sucks especially when delays are announced close to release.
you would think they would reschedule their time off if there was a delay

Petopia

Banned
The delays are not the issue here; it’s the lack of games.

Focusing on only one tentpole release with no support releases isn’t a good strategy.

Microsoft did this with Halo infinite in 2020, and they did it again this year with Starfield.
Don't forget microsoft guys championed end of the year releasess as the whole year while other companies have released games though out the whole year.

Last edited:
Hello, can I borrow the time machine you used to go forward to see the June 12th showcase? I have some sports bets to place.
Do we need a time machine to see what games Xbox has released to this point this year?

But let's say you're right and somehow they have a single AAA game for all of 2022? Can we count on you to show up to tell us all "I told you so!"?

Last edited:

Warnen

Do we need a time machine to see what games Xbox has released to this point this year?

GT and Horzion got delayed out of the holiday window leaving it empty last year, not really something to praise when making the argument of a system not having releases…

GT and Horzion got delayed out of the holiday window leaving it empty last year, not really something to praise when making the argument of a system not having releases…
What is your point? Did PlayStation have zero other games release last year?

kingfey

Banned

But let's say you're right and somehow they have a single AAA game for all of 2022? Can we count on you to show up to tell us all "I told you so!"?
They released halo 5 months ago. Stalker 2 was supposed to come out this april, before it was delayed.

And we have 6 more months left. Cant you guys wait, and say I told you so after that?

Or do you guys consider 5 months a year?

Last edited:
What is your point? Did ______ have zero other games released last year?
Sony had plenty of games in 2021 and 2022. Nintendo had plenty of games in 2021 and 2022.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Xbox hasn't released a single first-party game this year nor do they have one announced for the rest of the year.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Sony had plenty of games in 2021 and 2022. Nintendo had plenty of games in 2021 and 2022.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Xbox hasn't released a single first-party game this year nor do they have one announced for the rest of the year.

The rest are timed exclusives. Unless we consider timed exclusives a 1st party.

Only Nintendo managed to pump out alot of games on both years.

But hey, making a revision on last year is good right?

Warnen

from June 2021-June 2022 they have released a bunch, get over it.

I think his point another publisher won publisher of the year based on the games they released in 2021.

What were Xbox first-party exclusives last year? Forza Horizon 5 was really good. Halo Infinite was a pretty big disappointment. There was Flight Simulator port that was already out well before last year on PC.

What am I missing? Games like Psychonauts 2 (good game) that I played on PlayStation?

PS5 had Kena Bridge of Spirits, Returnal (GOTY), Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Oddworld Soulstorm (free with PS+), Deathloop (lol) and Destruction All-Stars (disappointment, but decent and free on PS+). And if we are counting Psychonauts, let's add The Show.

This year PlayStation has Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, Simu, The Show, Forspoken, Ghostwire Tokyo (lol), Babylon's Fall (nevermind, pretend I didn't say that one), God of War Ragnarok and hopefully Final Fantasy XVI. While Xbox has..... timed exclusivity for two indie games?

Last edited:
Top Bottom