• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't remember the name of this Movie/Cartoon/Song/etc.

AmyS

Song ID help, please!

I've only got this radio station aircheck from 1990. DJ is talking to a caller winning concert tickets.
There's about 5 seconds of an intro from whatever track this is. Between 7:22 and 7:28 https://youtu.be/8nFpuaaRMSk?t=7m22s

No vocals/ lyrics. Just the beat and instruments. Dance/Pop. Been trying to figure this out.

I don't think it's from a Stevie B song, but every time I listen to it, I'm thinking something like Pebbles, Jody Watley, or similar artist. Obviously whatever it is, no later than 1990.

OraleeWey

There's this movie about a red monster (human-like) on some planet. After a while he is accompanied by a human. I don't know if there were 2 other humans with him, but I seem to remember he crashed in a spaceship or something. I believe only one human survived. Eventually we find out the monster has a son and the human goes out to rescue him because he was captured. The father monster dies I think.

Edit: more info, I think that the human and the monster thing slowly built up trust throughout the movie. Not 100% sure about the following but I remember the spaceship crashing into a body of water.

Please GAF, what's this movie?? I know it's vague but it's all I've got.

Retro

There's this movie about a red monster (human-like) on some planet. After a while he is accompanied by a human. I don't know if there were 2 other humans with him, but I seem to remember he crashed in a spaceship or something. I believe only one human survived. Eventually we find out the monster has a son and the human goes out to rescue him because he was captured. The father monster dies I think.

Edit: more info, I think that the human and the monster thing slowly built up trust throughout the movie. Not 100% sure about the following but I remember the spaceship crashing into a body of water.

Please GAF, what's this movie?? I know it's vague but it's all I've got.

Pretty much has to be Enemy Mine

StylusX

I've got two films from my childhood that I would love to get names for. I must have watch both films sometime between 1988 - 1993 give or take a year or so.

First one i think it's an Asian martial arts film. Use to think it was a Jackie Chan film but now I'm sure it's not. I only remember a few vague scenes:
- One scene where they're on small motorbikes.
- Another scene involves an RC helicopter or plane attack people.
- Also, my mum remember a chubby guy that goes around making a police siren noise.

Second film i'm starting to think I made up haha.
- I'm sure there were 3 ninjas as the good guys.
- I think they wore all white but each one wore a different colour waist band/scarf thingy. I think the colours were yellow, purple and red.
- I remember one used a fan to fight with.

I thought it might have been 3 ninja kids but it's not. Wish I had more to go on :(

DonMigs85

Anybody remember this movie or show... it had a scene where a man was trying to break into his house (it might have also been a motor home or trailer) because his pet goldfish or carp was flopping around and he had to put it back in its bowl.

Dali

At the beginning of Jay z's let's go there is a guitar playing which I originally thought was from like a dragon ball z movie played when broli shows up. Then I think I heard it on the radio in a black Sabbath song. Anyone know where it comes from?

https://youtu.be/hp1QPTRs2U4

Blackheim

At the beginning of Jay z's let's go there is a guitar playing which I originally thought was from like a dragon ball z movie played when broli shows up. Then I think I heard it on the radio in a black Sabbath song. Anyone know where it comes from?

https://youtu.be/hp1QPTRs2U4

Sounds like a sped up version of Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath. You can play YT videos faster in the settings button. It's not exactly the same, but close enough I think and they didn't seemingly sample the original song.

This is either a TV show or movie, I'm not sure. It was recent, at least it seems to have been made in the last 10 years.

There is this guy who takes care of his sick grandmother. She falls and he helps her get back in bed. Later, she needs pain pills and when he goes to get her some he sees himself on the news for doing something wrong and leaves before he can get them. He returns to his grandmother and smothers her with a pillow. The cops come a while later and discover that he is dead as well. He had also set the table and made tea for two.

sphinx

the piano man
there was this song in 2012 that would play like every hour on the radio, I'd swear it was justin bieber upon hearing the voice but I search his singles of that year and nothing, absolutely nothing.

I remember the tune but no text -_- something "life, life liiiiffe.."

is that enough to help me remember the song?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
there was this song in 2012 that would play like every hour on the radio, I'd swear it was justin bieber upon hearing the voice but I search his singles of that year and nothing, absolutely nothing.

I remember the tune but no text -_- something "life, life liiiiffe.."

is that enough to help me remember the song?

Maybe upload some humming/singing the tune to Vocaroo or something and post it here? Or, if you're too shy for that, you could do the same thing at Midomi or it's mobleapp successor Soundhound if you'd rather have a bot analyze it.

Risible

Bear with me as this is a bit vague.

It's about a little girl and her father is missing. I think he has amnesia or something? She's in like an orphanage or something? I seem to remember her being in an attic. Maybe it's set in India, I don't know. I say this because the father has an Indian....sidekick? Friend? The main thing I remember is the Indian friend at near the end when the girl is about to be lost staring into the father's eyes and saying "Remember!" in a mystical way to bring his memory back.

Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

Fbh

This is going to be rather vague but mabye someone will know

It was an Anime
I saw it during the 90's but wouldn't be surprised if the show originally aired during the 80's (though it's just a guess)
It was a mecha show that I THINK mostly took place in space (like with people living on a big spaceship).
Basically the main thing I remember is that when the good guys were in real trouble this mysterious mecha which I THINIK was white(ish) would appear and beat the bad guys. Where this mecha came from and who was piloting was a mystery.
The other thing I remember is that there was a mecha that used a sort giant board (sort of like a space hoverboard). Though I can't remember if it was the main character who used it or mysterious mecha (or both).

I THINK the show as called the same as the mysterious mecha. Though that could have just been the localized title

Man I remember loving this show when I was in like first grade but it's a very vague memory

luso

Bear with me as this is a bit vague.

It's about a little girl and her father is missing. I think he has amnesia or something? She's in like an orphanage or something? I seem to remember her being in an attic. Maybe it's set in India, I don't know. I say this because the father has an Indian....sidekick? Friend? The main thing I remember is the Indian friend at near the end when the girl is about to be lost staring into the father's eyes and saying "Remember!" in a mystical way to bring his memory back.

Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

Maybe A Little Princess?
Plot details in Wiki

Song ID help, please!

I've only got this radio station aircheck from 1990. DJ is talking to a caller winning concert tickets.
There's about 5 seconds of an intro from whatever track this is. Between 7:22 and 7:28 https://youtu.be/8nFpuaaRMSk?t=7m22s

No vocals/ lyrics. Just the beat and instruments. Dance/Pop. Been trying to figure this out.

I don't think it's from a Stevie B song, but every time I listen to it, I'm thinking something like Pebbles, Jody Watley, or similar artist. Obviously whatever it is, no later than 1990.

Never Gonna Give You Up by The Brat Pack

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Anyone happen to know the name of this song?
It was on an SD Card I had from a modded Smash Bros game and I have no idea where it's from. Sounds like it's from an N64 game though.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I remember this anime from like, about ten years ago I think.

It was about this kid and a sentient train. This train could transform into a robot, and I remember the kid having a miniature version of the train form to speak with him. The train was in space. No it's not Galaxy Express 999.

I swear I remember this. I don't know if it's a mash up of different things or I made it up completely. Help.

This one has always confused me. I remember as a kid, sometime in the 80s, I was watching Nickelodeon. It had to be a cartoon movie on Special Delivery or Turkey TV. The closest I can liken the movie to is something similar to The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, where they go around the world and make friends of strange and fantastical characters.

This one, in particular had a scene where the main character and his friends were trying to sail a boat(or raft) onto an island, but for some reason, they could not reach it because something on the island was producing winds so strong that it would blow any boat away. They manage to get to the island and there was a man(or giant, I forget) whose sneezes produced hurricane-force winds, and the trees on the island had fruit that he was allergic to(hence he was always sneezing and nobody could get, let alone rescue him, so he was stuck there).

Would appreciate if anybody knows about this movie? I saw it once and never again and it was MANY years ago(probably around 1986-87)

OK, maybe y'all can remember the titles of some books that I read as a kid for me:

1. One book had a couple of tweens who took a rocket cruise to the Moon (Mars?), but the cruise went off course and they ended up having adventures in space. They started out hating each other, but of course fell in love as the story progressed.

The big thing that I remember is that they were dumped into an arena (maybe by a hostile leader on another planet?) to death by Giant Slug, and they killed it with salt and escaped. An illustration of this event was actually on the front of the paperback, which IIRC had a pink border. Any help?

2. Another book was about this kid who was leading a mundane and vaguely unhappy life until he picked up a golden Buddha statue from a garage sale or thrift shop or something. Then, his life turned around and he got with his crush and led his basketball team to victory after victory, but his obsession with the Buddha and its powers of luck drove his friends and girlfriend away and he lost everything. The Buddha statue then broke, but IIRC instead of chalking it up as a learning experience, the book ended with him obsessed with finding another lucky Buddha statue.

3. The final book was about a man who lived in the city. He was sick of his life, and somehow was taken to a tropical island that had everything he ever wanted. The catch was that each day that he stayed on the island, he transformed more and more into a giant toucan. He escaped, the moral of the story being "Be happy with what you have"/"Something that seems to good to be true probably is."

I ran these past Nancy Pearl and the Seattle Public Library and got nothing, so maybe I'm imagining these books, but then again, maybe y'all know something. I read these books in the '90s, so they were published probably in the '80s or '90s.

Hey, what a convenient thread!

I've been looking for this animated(?) movie (or maybe it was a show?) that had the line "That makes you... expendable!" and then whoever said that line throws the person they said it to to the ground. I want to say it was from a Disney movie, but I don't know.

I can't remember where this is from at all and I've tried googling that line to no avail.

OraleeWey

Some kid has HIV/AIDS. Then about 3(maybe) other teenagers chased him to what remember to be a railroad(maybe). Eventually they corner the kid and that's when he cuts himself somewhere in his arm and then tells the teenagers that "a single drop can ruin your entire life". Or something along those lines. Then they leave him alone and run off.

What movie is this?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
This is most likely a TV show, there is a scene in it where some character, I think, suggests that they eat soup. The other character answers "I'm kind of souped out, actually" (or something similar, but "souped out" is used).

I also think it's one of those "make an evil character look more mundane moments". It is not Seinfeld and has nothing to do with the soup nazi.

This has literally been bothering me for years.

Arksy

Hey guys,

I'm trying to remember the name of what I think is a Canadian indie movie which is nonlinear and features a group of teenagers walking in the wilds,(focusing on a guy and a girl who don't know eachother at the start of the movie and begin walking together) which we discover through out the movie that they're not walking but looking for something. The body of a murder that plays out in flashbacks.

I remember it being a really good movie but I haven't seen it for about ten years so my memory is a bit hazy. I remember the two teens walking were some lanky tall guy and a girl..but I really enjoyed it for its non-linear story.

bjork

This might be a stretch, but I figure I'll try:

When I worked at the anime shop, we had a DVD set that was nothing but the opening and ending credits from Japanese live-action kid's shows, going back to the 60s. The set itself was a bootleg, but I don't know if it was a bootleg of some real set or not. I've tried to find the name, but I don't even know what to search for. I just remember it had a blue cover with photos of the characters, and disc 3 had the opening for the US Power Rangers on it as well.

I gave it to a friend for her son, thinking I could get another copy, but all I've been able to find are a few random offerings on YT like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIDY2_jiA50

But I want hours of this, not just 2-3 minutes at a time.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
This one has been bugging me for years.

It's a cartoon, maybe cartoon movie, from the mid-late 80's. All I remember are some kind of anthropomorphic animals, frogs or turtles maybe, at some kind of university or castle, and they get a dragon egg.

There's an umbrella and some kind of grey stone buildings at some point.

I realize how vague this is but come on guys you can do it!!!

The Cure from 1995 with Brad Renfro?

Oh man that last scene in the hospital :'(

maybe gaf can help, I can't remember much of thos movie other than bits of a commercial I saw but it involved some alien invasion where these/this sparks of light like disinegrate people

An 80s rock song that ends with a jazz-like melody at the end.

It was on 106.9 the Eagle here in Houston and I couldn't pull up "What's this song?" Fast enough....

Mi goreng

I remember seeing a part of a film when I was young where two men (detectives?) were walking through an alley with scantily clad hookers standing around. I remember the colours in the scene being quite vivid. The next scene cuts to a Danny Devito type character yelling at someone on the phone and says "hang on about to get my dick sucked"
Does this ring a bell to anyone? lol

Leynos

Okay, folks. I think that I saw a short film as a young kid in the early '80s about a writer who sat at a typewriter, but suffered from writer's block. He was alone in a decrepit building, lamenting his inability, when the damn typewriter came to life! It chased him around the mostly empty building, finally catching him, and, I might not be remembering this correctly, it either ate him, or turned him into another typewriter.

This film has stuck with me for lo these many years, but I have no idea if I dreamt the damn thing.

Okay, folks. I think that I saw a short film as a young kid in the early '80s about a writer who sat at a typewriter, but suffered from writer's block. He was alone in a decrepit building, lamenting his inability, when the damn typewriter came to life! It chased him around the mostly empty building, finally catching him, and, I might not be remembering this correctly, it either ate him, or turned him into another typewriter.

This film has stuck with me for lo these many years, but I have no idea if I dreamt the damn thing.
I think you might be talking about Recorded Live
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Qeee8D2Ro

SpaceWolf

Banned
Neogaf! Help!

Sorry if this post is a bit of a mess. Out in public and on my phone

basically i'm trying to remember the name of a science fiction tv series which featured a scene with a soldier trying to sleep in like, a barracks. i think a woman is lying across from him and he's reminiscing about living on a farm and how much he misses the rain. And the woman (who's a telepath or something) creates the sound of the rain for him. Show was American, I think.

Something like that happened in Babylon 5. Sheridan was on a ship trying to sleep before a battle or something and told Delenn some story about needing the sound of rain to sleep, so she plays the sound over the ship's speakers.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Something like that happened in Babylon 5. Sheridan was on a ship trying to sleep before a battle or something and told Delenn some story about needing the sound of rain to sleep, so she plays the sound over the ship's speakers.

That was it! Thank you so much!

I'd never seen the show so I didn't have the whole context. For some reason that scene popped into my head at work and I couldn't for the life of me remember where it was from!

Thanks again, man!

This one is really eating at me and I'm sorry for the vague nature of my description.

It's a cartoon which I had on vhs in 1990 to 1994. I'm from the UK but I having a feelings this was probably American. I would have been a toddler but my memories of it are very vivid. Specifically the opening title sequence. In the sequence two squat toddler like kids - a boy and girl - are falling slowing against a warm yellow background. Both kids as they rotate and fall are trying on occupational clothing like firefighter helmets and what not. The closest visual I can approximate is the lad looks like the American version of Dennis the Menace. Shirt and overalls with sneakers. The girl is less clear. The look of the show was warm and fuzzy but that might have been a bad tape transfer.

Any thoughts, the Internet?

Patrick S.

Banned
As a kid I had a movie on VHS where toy soldiers were at war, they had toy tanks etc. I remember it wasn't a funny movie, but had a more serius tone to it. I don't know if it was a German or an American movie. I saw it in 1985 or so. I've been trying to find out the title via various serach tags, but I have never been able to find anything about this movie. Maybe someone here has a suggestion?

BumRush

This one is really eating at me and I'm sorry for the vague nature of my description.

It's a cartoon which I had on vhs in 1990 to 1994. I'm from the UK but I having a feelings this was probably American. I would have been a toddler but my memories of it are very vivid. Specifically the opening title sequence. In the sequence two squat toddler like kids - a boy and girl - are falling slowing against a warm yellow background. Both kids as they rotate and fall are trying on occupational clothing like firefighter helmets and what not. The closest visual I can approximate is the lad looks like the American version of Dennis the Menace. Shirt and overalls with sneakers. The girl is less clear. The look of the show was warm and fuzzy but that might have been a bad tape transfer.

Any thoughts, the Internet?

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000016466/

Check this list out. Never watched it but it says a cartoon named little lulu has a boy in overalls that looks eerily like dennis.

ohNOitsRO

As a kid I had a movie on VHS where toy soldiers were at war, they had toy tanks etc. I remember it wasn't a funny movie, but had a more serius tone to it. I don't know if it was a German or an American movie. I saw it in 1985 or so. I've been trying to find out the title via various serach tags, but I have never been able to find anything about this movie. Maybe someone here has a suggestion?

This sounds like
Small_soldiers_movie_poster.jpg

Except it definitely wasn't from '85 :(

Top Bottom