• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am re-watching 90s Action movies and they are leagues ahead of movies released in 2010s

Falling down, The 5th Element, Blade, Total Recall, Speed, Rush Hour, James Bond films, Demolition Man, The Crow, Die Hard, Ronin, Small Soldiers, Starship Troopers, Time Cop, Robocop, any Jackie Chan/Jet Li Kung Fu movies, The Substitute and so many more.

I could re watch all of these movies and enjoy them. The 90's were the shit when it came to movies.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
90's movies were weird. Perhaps of he all entailing Zeigeist .Fashion, how Films were shot/etc In about 40 years I'll probably like them

Last edited:
2010s will mostly be remembered for Comic Book adaptions. Pretty much every big budget action movie was either a Nolan movie or a Marvel or DC movie. There were some mediocre Transformers movies from Bay, but when it comes to blockbusters, it was Marvel and DC.

The 90s had some great franchises. Jurrasic Park, Terminator 2, Mission Impossible, The Matrix. What I miss the most ere the excellent one off movies we used to get in the 90s. No sequels. Original ideas. Big budget movies that relied mostly on special effects. I am talking about movies like:

- Con Air - Nicolas Cage stops Jon Malcovich from hijacking a plane carrying criminals.
- The Ghost And The Darkness - Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer team up to kill two man eating Lions.
- Face/Off - John Travolta and Nicolas Cage switch faces and fuck each other's wives.
- True Lies - James Cameron and Arnold Team up again. This time to kill terrorists.
- The Rock - Sean Fucking Connery and Nicolas cage break into Alcatraz.
- Armagaddeon - Oil Drillers become astronauts and save the world by nuking an asteroid.

And there are many many more. I look at the past decade and everything feels like a samey comic book movie. Even the DC movies. They are all about saving the world but somehow lack the epicness of movies like the Rock and Con Air. I dont even mind CG, but it's great to go back and see movies filled with hundreds if not thousands of extras. Only Michael Bay and Nolan care about that kind of spectacle nowadays and it fucking sucks.

And while I dont want this to be a lets shit on Disney thread, I will just say that Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King were far better than the trash they have produced even with the Marvel, Lucas Films and Pixar acquisitions.

So whats everyone's favorite 90s movies? Pulp Fiction, Saving Private Ryan, Shawshank Redemption, Titanic are obvious choices, but every decade has great dramas. What I miss the most are those one-off action movies.
Pretty sure you mean 80s

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's a shame the kids gotta grow up on this marvel shyte.

Any decent dad will be putting on Predator for their 8 year old.

I agree that Predator & the movies the OP mentions totally shit on Marvel movies. But on the flipside, the Marvel movies of today are way better than the average live action kid movies of the 90s. This is the kind of shit I had to watch:

9191l6uKADL._SY445_.jpg

5136TA64BCL._AC_.jpg

Star_Kid.jpg

The Disney cartoons were great but the live action stuff...yeah sorry but I think kids got it better nowadays with Sonic and Spiderman.

Last edited:

Facism

I agree that Predator & the movies the OP mentions totally shit on Marvel movies. But on the flipside, the Marvel movies of today are way better than the average live action kid movies of the 90s. This is the kind of shit I had to watch:

9191l6uKADL._SY445_.jpg

5136TA64BCL._AC_.jpg

Star_Kid.jpg

The Disney cartoons were great but the live action stuff...yeah sorry but I think kids got it better nowadays with Sonic and Spiderman.

Terrifying post 😧

I never watched any of that stuff growing up tbh. I remember waking up in the middle of the night as a kid, coming downstairs and my dad was watching Aliens. He was like "lol check this out this shit is great" and I didn't sleep for the next 3 days lol. Loved it though.

Top Bottom