• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am now a believer of higher framerate over resolution

martino

It's more you were a believer and probably influenced by propaganda done for bad reasons and now you have tried it by yourself and don't have to believe anymore.
proofs were always in the pudding.

Mithos

My problem is not framerate or resolution its monitor/tv size.
I can not go back to small monitors/tv's so there are not many options.

I play on a 50" TV, but there are no 50" 1080p high refreshrate TV/monitors around for reasonable prices, only 4K TV's that I do not have the hardware to push both 4K and high refreshrate on.

Dibils2k

if there are visual upgrades (like better draw distance, foilage etc) that make a clear difference then i will almost always go quality mode (30fps)

and if the 60fps mode drops down to 1080p then i will not take the hit

There is no argument that 60fps feels better, but a solid 30fps is still playable (will still depend on game) and i am not willing to sacrifice everything for 60fps.

Last edited:

TonyK

I'm fighting right now this battle of quality versus performance. I'm playing Miles Morales and every day there is a moment when I switch between both modes. My problem: both are bad in some way so I can't decide. I don't want a PS4 game but at 60fps (it's how I feel Demon's Souls, Spiderman or AC Valhalla in 60fps modes), but neither a PS5 game full of choppy blurriness (30fps quality modes).

At the end of the day, this possibility to choose is ruining my enjoyment. I want the extreme simplicity of console gaming, like in Resident Evil Village. I didn't leave PC to return to graphical modes choices : (

TonyK

after playing for probably 3 years on 100+ fps in every single game, some 200 fps. I can safely say, 30 fps just feels completely broken in any case to the point it being unplayable.

60 fps is doable in slow movement tanky control type of games. but the moment fast movement is done even with camera view, 100+ fps with gsync is silky smooth as even 60 will feel janky.

Resolution be damned, framerate is king.
30 fps is and always has been totally playable. 60fps is better. 120 even better. But a better experience doesn't make the initial one unplayable.

I always will prefer 4k over 1080p, but the existence of 4k doesn't make 1080p "unwatchable".

Armorian

Banned
Not necessarily.

Games can have bad/high input lag in 60FPS but it would still be much worse in 30FPS modes.

On my monitor with FS/VRR and 75Hz refresh rate the best option is to use Nvidia ultra low latency and vsync - this puts framerate limiter to 73FPS and cuts latency in some aspects of rendering in DX11 games (super consistent frametimes) or limit FPS to 73 and use vsync in DX12/Vulcan games (the same thing but slighty more work). On consoles everyone is on the mercy of devs and if vsync is triple buffered/badly implemented it can add a lot of unnecessary input lag.

Daymos

It's SO cringey when people buy a ps5 and SUDDENLY become experts on framerate! Yes lowering the resolution improves game performance, yes it matters, in like 1998 this was obvious when you picked 800 by 600 and not 1024 by 768 depending on your system specs.

Kenpachii

30 fps is and always has been totally playable. 60fps is better. 120 even better. But a better experience doesn't make the initial one unplayable.

I always will prefer 4k over 1080p, but the existence of 4k doesn't make 1080p "unwatchable".

Running 4k is completely useless specially on PC. u straight up trade in smooth framerates for more pixels that u can't even see or notice for shit, specially if you sit close to your screen and only got a 27 inch or even 24 inch screen.

Hell even on console devs drop resolution before anything else.

About 30 fps. If a game hits 30 fps on my PC or isn't able to atleast 60 fps at higher settings, i will simple either upgrade my PC or not play the game at all.

After spending 3 years long on 100+ fps, everything under it feels janky as shit and that's minimum i am talking about, 150-200 fps is where its at. unless its a slow tanky control game type then 60 fps is perfectly fine. But even a game like heroes 100+ fps is very noticable or in mmo's.

So yes 30 fps for me is straight up unplayable.

This is straight up me, however i don't need a fps meter to tell me the fps is dropping and thats even with gsync.

AdventurousAnyAsp-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
dont forget to add VRR or Gsync.

Most modern games cant sustain that high fps. There will be drops and that is where VRR comes in!

PC is still the best to enjoy such niceties. Imo PC + Gamepass + Steam sales, ftw.

Kuranghi

Framerate is king in every way

On my 4K HDMI 2.1 65" TV I would rather played 60fps @720p than 30fps @4K

Yes really

30fps is so choppy I cant stand it anymore. I can live with low res (hell i used to play Quake in 320x200)

Is your TV an OLED?

I still think 30fps gives the best graphical presentation and is fine for most third person games and story adventure games such as Uncharted, TLOU or Tomb Raider.

Also, I played Spider-Man at 30fps because the animations looked weird at 60fps... like unnatural or something and I'm planning on playing R&C at 30 too for all the bells and whistles and for that pixar-movie look to complete the package. I'm also not one to turn on motion interpolation on my TV as I hate the way it makes things look.

I always laugh when I hear people say they prefer the 30fps fidelity modes. That higher fidelity is only noticeable in static screenshots, when the game is in motion it becomes a choppy, blurry mess, especially when the camera pans horizontally. So you can't even appreciate the higher resolution unless you stop and have the camera fixed in place. During gameplay 30fps actually makes it seem like you have less fidelity. 60fps perfomance mode all the way.
That's not true at all or else every gameplay trailer would be using the 60fps mode. Think about it. Horizon Forbidden West looks insane in the new gameplay trailer and that was only 30fps. I was able to see lots of detail and I didn't even have to pause the video! Imagine that.

Altares13th

I was gonna say that I prefer quality over framerate but then I read the title again. 100% resolution is overrated yes. I'm completely fine playing something in 720p@60 if it meant fullblown nextgen graphics over 4k@30.

High res is as important as performance if you play on a decent monitor/tv. I can't stand stuttering but I also can't stand a burry image.

BlackTron

It seems to me that no one cares about this stuff and just think it's a bunch of elitist arguing until a situation arises that makes the difference obvious to them. For some it's easier to get there than others. If you are a console gamer playing a lot of AAA games it might not be as apparent as if you are playing an FPS game on PC, which will shove the difference in your face.

For our current level of console tech, I believe 1440p, 60+ FPS is well balanced for most normal types of games. I want the game to run correctly before boosting the res to 4k. It's just not worth it. It's like sacrificing 50% engine power to add a fancy body kit and spoiler you didn't need. Yeah it looks pretty good but cover the basics first.

The sad truth about my example above though is that to the masses, they would probably gloss over the reduced engine specs to get the fancier looking car. Abysmal but true, and that's why we have 30FPS games.

Go_Ly_Dow

Can I join?

I got the FF7 Remake DLC today and the game looks and plays so smoothly at 60fps.

It has a good checkerboard solution and very nice HDR implementation, so the 1440-1600p is a great compromise to get a solid smooth 60.

Buggy Loop

I can only speak for PC but, 1440p is the sweet spot imo, not too hard on bandwidth, looks good, higher FPS. Trying to reach 4K but at the sacrifice of 30 fps is for fools.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Yes, 60 fps is a must, the end.
120 fps is overrated though
Genuine question here, bit do you play with keyboard and mouse?

I don't think 120fps is overrated, but I certainly feel the difference more when playing with keyboard and mouse. It's still amazing with a controller don't get me wrong, but I could understand your point of view more if you're a controller user.

But yeah, the jump from 60fps to 120fps isn't as great as 30 to 60 regardless in my opinion.

yamaci17

They are actually the same increase of 100 %.
Well, perceived smoothnes depends more on the frametimes

30 fps means every frame takes 33.3 ms
60 fps means every frame takes 16.6 ms (16.7 ms reduction)
120 fps means every frame takes 8.3 ms (8.3 ms reduction)
240 fps means every frame takes 4.15 ms (4.15 ms reduction)

this is why the biggest leap is from 30 to 60, but leap from 60 to 120 is definetely not the same. it is still a big reduction (8.3ms of perceived smoothness), but nowhere near the big boy of 16.7 ms reduction coming from the 30->60 increase.

and this is also why beyond 240 fps is diminishing returns

Tygeezy

what's the point of this? are you just arguing the semantics you obviously know its a +30 vs a +60 jump.
It's not a semantics argument; percentage increase is the bigger determinant of whether something is noticeable or not. A twenty pound difference would be massive for under 100 lbs, but over say 300 lbs it's MUCH less significant.

DeaDPo0L84

30fps is pure ass, no amount of visual enhancement is worth playing a game with that jittery sideshow bullshit.

60fps is bare minimum what everyone should expect from developers.

HoodWinked

It's not a semantics argument; percentage increase is the bigger determinant of whether something is noticeable or not. A twenty pound difference would be massive for under 100 lbs, but over say 300 lbs it's MUCH less significant.
it actually is, because i made the statement as its greater though pretty clear to be interpreted in unit amount, but for some reason chose to strictly interpret it as a percentage.

but even under your premise 30 to 60 has a greater impact despite it being the "same increase" according you.

Last edited:

Synless

The trade-off between resolution and framerate feels especially not worth it this generation. Many times it's 1440p60 versus 4K30, so it's not even like you are taking that much of a reduction in resolution. I saw a PS5 comparison of the FF7 remake between the quality mode and framerate mode. You basically got a small reduction in clarity in exchange for 30 extra frames. Factor in sitting meters from the TV and it's barely even noticeable.
It is not a small loss in quality. It’s quite jarring…. but so is 60 vs 30.

KAL2006

Banned
Jesus christ lol where have you been these last 2 decades?

Not everyone on GAF is a PC gamer I'm surprised some people in this forum are not aware of this and surprised. Last gen I owned a PS4, prior to that a 360 and PS3. Prior to that PS2, GameCube and prior to that N64 and PS1. Alot of those gens mainly had 30fps games of course there were some that 60fps but not many. It didn't help I was a UK gamer with shit PAL 50Hz slow motion games and black borders going way back to the SNES generatuon when I started gaming.

KAL2006

Banned
It is not a small loss in quality. It’s quite jarring…. but so is 60 vs 30.

It isn't a small loss in quality but the thing is during gameplay and fast moving scenes you don't really notice. You would only notice on still frames. Where as with 30fps and 60fps you notice straight away.

Top Bottom