• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am now a believer of higher framerate over resolution

KAL2006

Banned
I'm one of those guys who just didn't care about framerate. When I played on my PS4 for games that gave me the option between performance over resolution I always chosen resolution. But after playing God of War with the 60fps patch on my PS4 and finishing the game many hours playing a 60fps I moved onto Spiderman Remastered. I put Spiderman on Quality mode and immediately I felt the game looked choppy almost like I can see the frames. I then put the game on performance RT mode and it was like a night and day difference. Maybe because swinging about the city is so fast paced that 60fps is important for this game or maybe because I just played God of War all in 69fps and I have just adjusted to it so much I can tell the difference now, but it has definitely made me realise that framerate is king even if there is a 1080p 60fps option in a game now I'd take that.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

lachesis

Yes, as I'm getting older and the screen gets bigger - I am appreciating 60fps more and more - and wish 60fps is bare minimum from now on for all games.

I've not seen 120hz other than my daughters iPad Pro - but I am firm believer of higher fps regardless of genres - and am excited someday play 120hz games on TV.
(Thinking about getting smaller - 48in - dedicated 120hz HDMI 2.1 OLED for purely gaming purpose)

The other day I was playing Yakuza 2 Kiwami, and was trying to get over 90pts on Haruka's request... and man. Even though I suck at music games, the moving 30fps icons made my eyes hurt quite a bit.

Spidey Fan

Banned
my skyrim on tv with x1s looks pretty garbage, while running on the highest setting with my pc look day and night. Both are old. Monitor is from 2014, and tv is from old age. both are at 1080p. The tv has static framerates pieces that you can see. that might be the issue. Or maybe i got used to 4k for higher 1080p that normal 1080p looks horrible.

I remember having fun playing gta 3 and vice system. those graphic were amazing. now, its shit, horrible, and you question who the hell played this game.

NoviDon

Well yeah, theres diminishing returns for every increase in resolution. so if the trade off to achieve native 1440 p and 60 fps is a slightly sharper image quality at 4k than give me the former every time. Especially if they can still include the RT effects, its a no brainer.

dcx4610

Control is a fun one to play with. You can adjust 30fps + Ray Tracing to 60fps no Ray Tracing on the fly. It's like a smeary, greasy, choppy mess on 30fps. Yes, it's slightly more pretty but the frame rate difference is night and day. I'm a graphics snob but not at the expense of having to play at 30fps. It's more tolerable in some games than others but I will never, ever prefer 30fps. It's a hardware limitation pure and simple.

Knightime_X

I'm glad you have seen the light.
I actively refuse to play 60fps patched ps4 games or games with a ps4 pro 60fps option until I buy a ps5.
I don't want to experience those in 30fps. And I never owned a ps4 pro.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yes, as I'm getting older and the screen gets bigger - I am appreciating 60fps more and more - and wish 60fps is bare minimum from now on for all games.

I've not seen 120hz other than my daughters iPad Pro - but I am firm believer of higher fps regardless of genres - and am excited someday play 120hz games on TV.
(Thinking about getting smaller - 48in - dedicated 120hz HDMI 2.1 OLED for purely gaming purpose)

The other day I was playing Yakuza 2 Kiwami, and was trying to get over 90pts on Haruka's request... and man. Even though I suck at music games, the moving 30fps icons made my eyes hurt quite a bit.

As a PC gamer with a 240Mhz screen and a card that can run at that speed (RTX 3080) 120 & 240 are much smaller jumps in terms of "feeling smooth" compared to 30-60. It is there still you can feel the responsiveness but it's just not as big, I think 120 should be what people should aim for in future because you can still feel at least some of that gain, outside of a few key moments of twitch skill in long distance sniping I don't notice 240 as much.

However with the limited hardware available on the next gen machines I do think games should be based around 60 FPS... creating these fidelity modes seems pointless because it makes your game play actively worse.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
It depends on the game, but for a visual showcase like Ratchet:
Maximum Effects > Frame rate > Resolution

For something like DMC5, prefer 4K 60fps over 1080p 120fps.

I'm not a oversensitive framerate baby like half the people on this forum.
I can play at 30, 60, 120 literally any framerate, my brain easily adapts. Framepacing is imo, is more noticible than framerates themselves.

It's quite liberating, because it allows me to freely enjoy any game, and I get to enjoy the full experience, maximum bells and whistles and with no downsides :D

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
It depends on the game, but for a visual showcase like Ratchet:
Maximum Effects > Frame rate > Resolution

For something like DMC5, prefer 4K 60fps over 1080p 120fps.

I'm not a oversensitive framerate baby like half the people on this forum.
I can play at 30, 60, 120 literally any framerate, my brain easily adapts. Framepacing is imo, is more noticible than framerates themselves.

It's quite liberating, because it allows me to freely enjoy any game, and I get to enjoy the full experience, maximum bells and whistles and with no downsides :D
Judging from current previews, I think FF7r might be the first game worth playing at 30/true 4K, given the game already feels great at 30 and isn’t really an action game. It’s more about scenery and a slower pace.

You saw the light. I really think that some people have been playing on consoles for so long that when they see 60 they struggle to see the fluidity, but as they play more 60 games they start to realize the huge difference and its advantages.
Screw resolution, high framerate is king bitches

Kenpachii

after playing for probably 3 years on 100+ fps in every single game, some 200 fps. I can safely say, 30 fps just feels completely broken in any case to the point it being unplayable.

60 fps is doable in slow movement tanky control type of games. but the moment fast movement is done even with camera view, 100+ fps with gsync is silky smooth as even 60 will feel janky.

Resolution be damned, framerate is king.

Last edited:

Damigos

120fps is not overrated at all. 120fps is fucking amazing... not a must but always a gigantic improvement for anything that needs fast response.
playing a competitive PC shooter at anything below 100fps is a big no no for example.
Low input lag is more important i think. Its not that it is not "better" though, but i feel its overrated.

Banned
Low input lag is more important i think. Its not that it is not "better" though, but i feel its overrated.

higher framerate = automatically lower latency. and also higher fps = better motion clarity. LCD tech has inherent motion blur, which kills motion clarity, and the higher the refresh and the higher the reaction time by the screen, the clearer the motion is. which is all very important for competitive FPS.
120fps on Series X for example also helps with the inherent lag of certain games. Sea of Thieves for example has pretty high input latency (most likely shitty Vsync settings) and the new 120fps mode the Series X version got really helps here

Tranquil

I had that moment about 2 years ago, played a few games on my PC at 60 fps, had a hard time going back to my PS4 and gaming at 30 fps.

yurqqa

144hz vs 60hz recorded @240fps, easiest way to tell a difference without seeing it in person : pcmasterrace (reddit.com)

When you need to slow down the video to see the difference between 120 and 60 fps or to zoom in the video to see the difference between 1440p and 4K, you can be sure you are totally fine with the setup you currently have.

P.S. Unless the feeling that you have the best tech makes you happier than playing the actual games.

Top Bottom