• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am literally having a second thoughts about buying PS5 if UI is this ugly

TwiztidElf

702e69d5817684f279a51685a85570f9.gif

Boss Mog

I don't give a shit what it looks like but it needs to be snappy. The PS4 was snappy when it first came out but update after update, it's now sluggish on the Pro even.

faraany3k

Banned
PS4 Pro UI is slow and sluggish. I hope they have better UI this time around. Settings menu needs to be better organized too.

xrnzaaas

I like Sony's current UI way better than Xbox's UI. Of course this doesn't mean it's perfect (especially when it starts to lag when you have a game turned on), but it's much more enjoyable to use.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Sorry, after 7 years, you can’t offer me something that is (far) uglier than what we currently have. I’ll not accept it. It also screams last gen, not next one. Yea, you can call me superficial but I just don’t like ugly stuff.
a3DpyLZ.png

UNR6OzR.png
Go where there's beauty OP and bask in it's glory.....As for me I will go where the best games are......I certainly don't intend to marry the PS5's UI, so I'll be fine........I'd rather a sleek and fast OS with great and innovative features than a bloated, noisy and slower one, but to each their own...

Sorry, after 7 years, you can’t offer me something that is (far) uglier than what we currently have. I’ll not accept it. It also screams last gen, not next one. Yea, you can call me superficial but I just don’t like ugly stuff.
a3DpyLZ.png

UNR6OzR.png

I buy next generational consoles to play next-gen games. You buy next-consoles for their UI. Different strokes for different folks!

I am litterly having seconds thoughts if I should just keep my 2 PS5 pre orders after reading the original poster's post. Thank you OP. You have passed on wisdom to me. I can finally see the light and be no longer blind!

Somethin somethin ps5 concern troll post..
Somethin somethin I need to validate my purchase somethin...
Somethin somethin bad plastic toy box...

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
a3DpyLZ.png

UNR6OzR.png

Mouse cursor on the bottom right....

Clearly fake.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Imo as a next gen console gamer, you should look at Series X + GPU as your first choice. UI or not.

Wait, as in an Xbox Series X and a new PC GPU which will play the same games?

Do you always direct people to waste their money this way?

BlackTron

Well at least the PS3 UI was better than PS4's, so if the worst case scenario is XMB again, at least it's better than what we have now.

The picture quality isn't exactly representative of what it would look like on a 4K tv. Likewise, it's once again coming from a devkit and not a retail unit, so it might be completely different from the retail product. But yeah it's not exactly pretty as of now, and it could use a facelift before launch if it's indeed supposed to be the final look.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Gives me xmb vibes, which I'm also about.

It looks better than the PS4 OS, so don't know what you're crying about.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
As long as the UI has a button on it to start my games then I'm happy. I'm not a fan of playing UI's, I'm a fan of playing games though.

Let's wait for something official though. Don't trust the internet.

well said .. don’t know why so serious about things like that and what makes me laugh is that he has second thoughts of buying a PS5 because of UI

meech

Well, all i am interested in: Do they have a usuable browser this time? One that doesnt crash every 15 minutes because its
out of memory?I still wonder how Sony managed to fuck up something even the cheapest Chinaphone does better.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm a fan of the PS3/PS4 cross media bar UI. It's simple and easy to navigate but maybe I'm just overly familiar with it. I actively dislike the Xbox UI.

Three

Only thing I need UI in my console to do is be functional and snappy, thats all I want.
Yes, thank you. If anything if it is as simple as those fakes I'd actually be happy that there aren't ads plastered everywhere taking 10+ seconds to load and slowing down the UI.

lock2k

Banned
Good god how spoiled are gamers today. We didn't even have an UI for a good chunk of gaming history. Games were the sole reason to fire up a console.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
OP, I hear you.

However, let's consider a few things before we rush to judgement -

1) This pics were literally taken on a cell phone from 2001. What the fuck, and I mean, really WTF. TV gootage from 1985 looks cleaner than this.

2) We haven't seen enough to judge. See above, but also let's wait for official confirmation that this is the UI before we freak out.

3) Even if this INCREDIBLY BLURRY AND SHITTY photo really is someone going through the PS5's UI, it doesn't mean that THIS is the UI we'll be experiencing at Day-1 users. This is potentially just basically bootable firmware loaded onto the chip so people can access the content therein -- for all we know there could be NDA's in place for them to now show this part of the experience because it's not finished. Which means that with a small tweak here and there before the final retail unit, we could be seeing something completely different.

John2290

I fixed my old ps4 recently that needed a conplete wipe and reinstall. I was blown away by how ugly and old it looked without a theme, games installed and online functionality. I coulda sworn I was booting up a ps3 sonI'd wait on this one, who knows what it'll look like an hour after some customization. It's the feature list that we need, if it's another set back like the ps4 launch over the ps3 where all the firmware updates and QoL stuff got set back, curse them then. I'd hope we have all ps4 features and they build on it from there, if simple things like folders and external USB HDD support gets wiped then that's when I have a problem.

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

That's an absurd reason to deny yourself a videogame console, it's a tiniest fraction of a fraction of the point of getting the thing

WakeTheWolf

Lol at thinking this is the UI. Stop believing dodgy sources. Wait until it's revealed from someone who doesn't have a potato as a camera

Wizz-Art

Ugly console, ugly controller that has a bra, ugly user interface. Well at least they are consistent, I give 'em that!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wasn't it rumoured that the Dev Kits were sent out with non representative OS because Sony were paranoid of the actual UI leaking? I'm sure that was mentioned months ago.

Either way I'd reserve judgment until the retail units are shown.

V4skunk

Banned
I could get behind Sony’s UI if it was responsive and fast but it’s so minimalist yet still runs terrible.

I mean I am not saying Xbox UI runs well but it full of stuff on the screen and actually has a ton of cool features way beyond Sony’s. Almost all Sony products I have bought have crappy UI it’s like their signature move.

The vita and psp seemed to work pretty well if I remember correctly, but it’s probably just nostalgia it’s been so long since I fired one of them up.
The crap all over the Xbone ui is a joke.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't give a shit as long as it boots up games without taking forever and still has suspend/resume functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom