• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity shipments+digital has exceeded 3 million units in 5 days.

SinDelta

A well-earned humiliation.
iu

The only Zelda that I had to force myself to finish. (Well that and phantom hourglass.)

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
Sad... demo was trash .
And add performance and I wouldnt touch it with the toilet unclogger

Last edited:

Astral Dog

They're one of the Japanese companies that didn't ignore Nintendo Switch big userbase and succeeded with their business decision.

-Hyrule Warriors deluxe edition
-Fire Emblem Warriors
-Fire Emblem 3 Houses
-Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
-Marvel ultimate alliance 3
-Atelier stuff and other games.

Square Enix, on the other hand .....
Has been making games for Switch like Octopath traveler and TWEWY2 alongside porting their Final Fantasy games, some wich never hit a Nintendo system before.

Honestly unless you expect a major Final Fantasy exclusive for Switch (but we aren't in those days anymore) they have been doing pretty good, well except their Kingdom Hearts support but they promised it will get better

Astral Dog

It’s surprising because reviews weren’t too hot about it and it’s far from a traditional Zelda game.

But I love it so far, it’s really the best Musou game ever made, so many QoL improvements compared to FEW.

I hope they bring P5S next.
The reviews actually have been pretty positive and solid, unless for some reason you were expecting typical Zelda scores.

Major complaint is the framerate, and some are a little mixed on the plot

You do realise ps4 is out 2 weeks. How many years switch out?

Son are you ever lucky you got me and not -Arcadia- -Arcadia- since I play nicer. The point, which you missed, is that diminishing the value of a library because some of it is consisted of remakes/ports/remasters is nonsensical because those games do not lose their value if they're well executed. The Switch has far out the best way to play Super Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade Chronicles, No More Heroes 1 and 2 and many others which is not something that should be held AGAINST the fucking console. It's a bonus. Like the PS4 has the best way to play God of War 3. That is valuable if you didn't play GOW3 on the original hardware.

And those games I mentioned exist alongside a varied library of original software, which I'm not going to get into list wars because that's retarded.

Bodomism

Banned
Has been making games for Switch like Octopath traveler and TWEWY2 alongside porting their Final Fantasy games, some wich never hit a Nintendo system before.

Honestly unless you expect a major Final Fantasy exclusive for Switch (but we aren't in those days anymore) they have been doing pretty good, well except their Kingdom Hearts support but they promised it will get better
I expect SQE at least to give a confirmation of the new Dragon Quest exclusive game like DQ12 or a new DQ Monster.

Capcom is going to release Monster Hunter Rise that will sell around 7 million units on Nintendo Switch which is higher than FF7R ltd on PS4.

Capcom vs SQE business decision on Switch.

Capcom: MHGU switch version is selling really well so let's release a new AAA budget Monster Hunter game that develops from ground up for Nintendo Switch and also AA budget MHS2 as well.

SQE: Project Octopath Travellers has sold around 2 million units on Nintendo Switch alone ... Let's give them another AA budget game like bravely default 2.

Kerotan

Son are you ever lucky you got me and not -Arcadia- -Arcadia- since I play nicer. The point, which you missed, is that diminishing the value of a library because some of it is consisted of remakes/ports/remasters is nonsensical because those games do not lose their value if they're well executed. The Switch has far out the best way to play Super Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade Chronicles, No More Heroes 1 and 2 and many others which is not something that should be held AGAINST the fucking console. It's a bonus. Like the PS4 has the best way to play God of War 3. That is valuable if you didn't play GOW3 on the original hardware.

And those games I mentioned exist alongside a varied library of original software, which I'm not going to get into list wars because that's retarded.
You missed the point then you went off on a rant. Take a deep breath a read closely.

I'm not saying those remakes/ports/remasters are not good. Many are. I am saying there are lots of Nintendo fans who are thirsty for something brand new. Something they've not already played before. No need to get all salty over facts.

You missed the point then you went off on a rant. Take a deep breath a read closely.

I'm not saying those remakes/ports/remasters are not good. Many are. I am saying there are lots of Nintendo fans who are thirsty for something brand new. Something they've not already played before. No need to get all salty over facts.

You don't have anything to back up the part I've bolded, you're making shit up. If you want to know how satisfied or unsatisfied Nintendo fans are with the company's output, then hang around more Nintendo fans and gauge where they're at. Don't invent people or try to read a fanbase to which you're completely ignorant about.

Astral Dog

I expect SQE at least to give a confirmation of the new Dragon Quest exclusive game like DQ12 or a new DQ Monster.

Capcom is going to release Monster Hunter Rise that will sell around 7 million units on Nintendo Switch which is higher than FF7R ltd on PS4.

Capcom vs SQE business decision on Switch.

Capcom: MHGU switch version is selling really well so let's release a new AAA budget Monster Hunter game that develops from ground up for Nintendo Switch and also AA budget MHS2 as well.

SQE: Project Octopath Travellers has sold around 2 million units on Nintendo Switch alone ... Let's give them another AA budget game like bravely default 2.
Well MH Rises isn't exactly AAA (for Switch it is, but yeah) Square is like finding their thing right now, these games take time and Switch wasn't a safe bet, they still try to support it. There is no ideal support because Switch caught everyone by surprise.

Im sure they have a few surprises waiting though. sure Dragon Quest will come out eventually lets just be grateful KH3 and FFVIIR finally came out 🤭

Bodomism

Banned
Well MH Rises isn't exactly AAA (for Switch it is, but yeah) Square is like finding their thing right now, these games take time and Switch wasn't a safe bet, they still try to support it. There is no ideal support because Switch caught everyone by surprise.

Im sure they have a few surprises waiting though. sure Dragon Quest will come out eventually lets just be grateful KH3 and FFVIIR finally came out 🤭
MH Rise is certainly an AAA budget game by capcom.

The scope of the game isn't that much different from MHW. Only the graphical details are lower in MHR but other than that they have added a lot of new things for this major release such as verticality of the map.

AAA budget is also included a marketing budget.

Capcom expected MHR switch+pc to sell around the same number as MHW2 on PC+PS5+XSX/S.

Since PSP days, Monster Hunter series(Mainline and Portable) has always been treated as a triple A franchise by capcom with massive marketing campaign behind it.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Skyward Sword will be outsold by BOTW spinoff lol.

Skyward Sword is not a good game.

Kerotan

You don't have anything to back up the part I've bolded, you're making shit up. If you want to know how satisfied or unsatisfied Nintendo fans are with the company's output, then hang around more Nintendo fans and gauge where they're at. Don't invent people or try to read a fanbase to which you're completely ignorant about.
I'm literally giving my opinion with how I think the situation is. If you think otherwise then say it but don't make up shit I'm not saying just so you can disagree.

KingT731

The scope of the game isn't that much different from MHW. Only the graphical details are lower in MHR but other than that they have added a lot of new things for this major release such as verticality of the map.

Capcom expected MHR switch+pc to sell around the same number as MHW2 on PC+PS5+XSX/S.

Since PSP days, Monster Hunter series(Mainline and Portable) has always been treated as a triple A franchise by capcom with massive marketing campaign behind it.
Capcom said they're expecting MHR to sell as well as the previous handheld versions of MH(3-4M). There is no MHW2 unless you're talking about the Iceborne which is an expansion (requires MHW) has sold over 6M.

Bodomism

Banned
Capcom said they're expecting MHR to sell as well as the previous handheld versions of MH(3-4M). There is no MHW2 unless you're talking about the Iceborne which is an expansion (requires MHW) has sold over 6M.
Leaked Capcom documents.

MH Rise(NSW+PC) = 9 million units
MH 6(PC+PS5+XBX/S) = 9 million units
MHS2(NSW+PC) = 1.5 million units

Astral Dog

Im sure they will release a MH World 2 eventually, it IS a big success Capcom just needs more time meanwhile Monster Hunter returns to portables.

Its like RE with Revelations 3 Switch there are multiple projects to take advantage of the hardware without waiting 4-5 years for each one, and all of them selling well

Eevee86

Here's hoping it has a hefty list of monsters. That was my biggest problem with World. The 3DS games spoiled me.

Last edited:
I'm literally giving my opinion with how I think the situation is. If you think otherwise then say it but don't make up shit I'm not saying just so you can disagree.

It's not an opinion. It's a fucking bullshit statement. An opinion is "I think Sony first party games are a homogenous blob of similar playing shallow games done to appease the absolute lowest common denominator in the industry" and not "A LOT OF SONY FANS agree that they should do something else instead of just third person walk 'em ups". Do you understand the difference?

KingT731

Here's hoping it has a hefty list of monsters. That was my last biggest problem with World. The 3DS games spoiled me.
This was possible because they were reusing assets from almost back on the PS2.

Leaked Capcom documents.

MH Rise(NSW+PC) = 9 million units
MH 6(PC+PS5+XBX/S) = 9 million units
MHS2(NSW+PC) = 1.5 million units
Do you mind linking me to this? I was just going by what Capcom said publicly. They also said Rise would be more "Pick up & play" which I took to mean more of a casual experience(Everything they have shown has pointed towards the game being quicker). I definitely could see it being a big hit due to that reason alone.
Im sure they will release a MH World 2 eventually, it IS a big success Capcom just needs more time meanwhile Monster Hunter returns to portables.

Its like RE with Revelations 3 Switch there are multiple projects to take advantage of the hardware without waiting 4-5 years for each one, and all of them selling well
Of course MH6 (World 2) will come eventually. Might take a while since they have to move the game off of the terrible(IMO) MT Framework engine to the new Re Engine (like Rise). Capcom also needs to be aware of series fatigue.

Kerotan

It's not an opinion. It's a fucking bullshit statement. An opinion is "I think Sony first party games are a homogenous blob of similar playing shallow games done to appease the absolute lowest common denominator in the industry" and not "A LOT OF SONY FANS agree that they should do something else instead of just third person walk 'em ups". Do you understand the difference?
Lmao call it a statement or opinion bottom line the statement is based off what I think and I think Nintendo fans are thirsty as fuck for new AAA games from Nintendo. Therefore I think new games that fit that criteria have an improved chance to do better.

Disagree if you want and don't worry I won't throw a tantrum if you do.

Last edited:
Lmao call it a statement or opinion bottom line the statement is based off what I think and I think Nintendo fans are thirsty as fuck for new AAA games from Nintendo. Therefore I think new games that fit that criteria have an improved chance to do better.

Disagree if you want and don't worry I won't throw a tantrum if you do.

Nobody is throwing a tantrum, we're debating. I'm telling you that what you think is not based on reality and making blank heavily generalized statements is kind of stupid and should be avoided. And you know I'm right because plenty of people here agree with me.

I'm really hoping this game is patched to at least stabilize the framerate a little bit. I enjoyed the gameplay changes and improvements in the demo, but I can't deal with regular drops to the low 20's/high teens. It's way too distracting for me.

Kerotan

Nobody is throwing a tantrum, we're debating. I'm telling you that what you think is not based on reality and making blank heavily generalized statements is kind of stupid and should be avoided. And you know I'm right because plenty of people here agree with me.
The only comments I've read in here are yours because you quote me. I've no idea what anybody else thinks. I'm not debating with you. I've stated what I think and I'm standing by it. Feel free to quote me again but it's pointless because I don't have time with a ps5 here asking to be played. Reached my quota of Nintendo posts for the week so see you next week for more words of wisdom.

Digital sales #'s are very difficult to obtain. Famitsu must have some close ties inside Nintendo for sales figures. I guess that makes sense. Retail #'s are hard to get, let alone closely guarded digital #'s.

That being said, they need to release the Nintendo Switch PRO so I can try this out as the demo proved that this machine doesn't tolerate docked and 3D very well. 1080/30 seems unobtainable.

Hinedorf

Banned

-Sounds like folks got sold some bullshit based on a video game cover showing Link/Zelda, sure hope it's not as bad as this article implies

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Great news ! 6 million before the end of the year and 10 million lifetime. Believe !

Woopah

This was possible because they were reusing assets from almost back on the PS2.

Do you mind linking me to this? I was just going by what Capcom said publicly. They also said Rise would be more "Pick up & play" which I took to mean more of a casual experience(Everything they have shown has pointed towards the game being quicker). I definitely could see it being a big hit due to that reason alone.

Of course MH6 (World 2) will come eventually. Might take a while since they have to move the game off of the terrible(IMO) MT Framework engine to the new Re Engine (like Rise). Capcom also needs to be aware of series fatigue.
World 2 is coming in 2023 (or rather that's the current plan).

I don't think Rise's sales targets are related to making the game more casual, it's more to do with the very strong software sales of Switch (especially in Japan, which is one of Monster Hunter's most important markets).

KingT731

World 2 is coming in 2023 (or rather that's the current plan).

I don't think Rise's sales targets are related to making the game more casual, it's more to do with the very strong software sales of Switch (especially in Japan, which is one of Monster Hunter's most important markets).
I wasn't equating the 2. I was saying I could see it selling more due to being more casual(audience retention/ expansion). The software situation on the Switch currently should work in their favor as well. The only real competition on the Switch are Nintendo's games.

Woopah

I wasn't equating the 2. I was saying I could see it selling more due to being more casual(audience retention/ expansion). The software situation on the Switch currently should work in their favor as well. The only real competition on the Switch are Nintendo's games.
Yes I think you're right. From what we've it's keeping a lot of the casuslisation implemented in World so some of the people in the West who were brought into the franchise with that game could then pick up this one.

With a genre king like Monster Hunter I don't think competition is ever a problem. The large variety of games on PS4 didn't hurt World and I think the increasing third party support for Switch will only help Rise, as it will bring more people to the platform and grow the user base.

KingT731

Yes I think you're right. From what we've it's keeping a lot of the casuslisation implemented in World so some of the people in the West who were brought into the franchise with that game could then pick up this one.

With a genre king like Monster Hunter I don't think competition is ever a problem. The large variety of games on PS4 didn't hurt World and I think the increasing third party support for Switch will only help Rise, as it will bring more people to the platform and grow the user base.
World had the benefit of being the first game that wasn't a handheld port since the Wii(Frontier series was on console and PC but was Japan only). The first "proper" MH Console game since 2009 as well as being a first on the XB/PC in the West. That is a lot of hype in the games favor.

Perfect example of my point about the lack of software competition is even the rather shitty Witcher 3 port sold near a million...

Last edited:

Woopah

World had the benefit of being the first game that wasn't a handheld port since the Wii(Frontier series was on console and PC but was Japan only). The first "proper" MH Console game since 2009 as well as being a first on the XB/PC in the West. That is a lot of hype in the games favor.

Perfect example of my point about the lack of software competition is even the rather shitty Witcher 3 port sold near a million...

Definitely agree with the first part, I just think the casuslisation of World was also in its favour.

I don't agree with the 2nd part. The Witcher 3 is a well reviewed game and I don't think its success can be chalked up to lack of competition. Maybe that case could be made during 2017 but not any more.

We're seeing lots of third party games do well on Switch and it's because it has a large userbase that buys a lot of software. If it was lack of competition then we wouldn't see a wide range of games doing well and we wouldn't be seeing the increasing third party support.

KingT731

Definitely agree with the first part, I just think the casuslisation of World was also in its favour.

I don't agree with the 2nd part. The Witcher 3 is a well reviewed game and I don't think its success can be chalked up to lack of competition. Maybe that case could be made during 2017 but not any more.

We're seeing lots of third party games do well on Switch and it's because it has a large userbase that buys a lot of software. If it was lack of competition then we wouldn't see a wide range of games doing well and we wouldn't be seeing the increasing third party support.
TW3 reviewed well based on what we already knew about it(It's a solid game). I'm talking about the actual port job. Take away all the "fanboy-ism" from most of those Switch reviews and the gist is basically "Worse than every other version but OK enough for The Switch." We're seeing the same thing that happened when the Wii took off. A whole lot of people just jumping on the train. Look at how they were saying the E-SHop "has more games than the PS4" then go look at the games on the Eshop. This is all expected and only a handful of the 3rd parties are having large success and even then it isn't really that great. Look up a list of the best selling Switch games and tell me what they almost all have in common.

Woopah

TW3 reviewed well based on what we already knew about it(It's a solid game). I'm talking about the actual port job. Take away all the "fanboy-ism" from most of those Switch reviews and the gist is basically "Worse than every other version but OK enough for The Switch." We're seeing the same thing that happened when the Wii took off. A whole lot of people just jumping on the train. Look at how they were saying the E-SHop "has more games than the PS4" then go look at the games on the Eshop. This is all expected and only a handful of the 3rd parties are having large success and even then it isn't really that great. Look up a list of the best selling Switch games and tell me what they almost all have in common.
I'm not saying the Switch version is better than the console versions (it wouldn't on a handheld) I'm saying that people bought the game because of the merits of the game, nothing to do with lack of competition.

Both Switch and Wii sold a lot of third party software. The trouble with only looking at the best sellers is that Nintendo games would be the best sellers on any platform they were on.

The difference between Switch and Wii is that on Switch the third party software doing well is much more varied. That's why Wii had lost a lot of third party support by its 5th year, while for Switch its 5th year will have its strongest third party line up so far.

Last edited:

KingT731

I'm not saying the Switch version is better than the console versions (it wouldn't on a handheld) I'm saying that people bought the game because of the merits of the game, nothing to do with lack of competition.

Both Switch and Wii sold a lot of third party software. The trouble with only looking at the best sellers is that Nintendo games would be the best sellers on any platform they were on.

The difference between Switch and Wii is that on Switch the third party software doing well is much more varied. That's why Wii had lost a lot of third party support by its 5th year, while for Switch its 5th year will have its strongest third party line up so far.
The answer to the question was "They're almost all published by Nintendo"

Also the 5th year for the Switch would start Mach 2022. We will have to see how coming out during the tail end of a generation works out for them on the other side. I happen to think the Switch 2 is coming sooner rather than later.

I wasn't debating Switch software sales either. I'm aware that they shift a lot of units. I was posing the question of quality.

Woopah

The answer to the question was "They're almost all published by Nintendo"

Also the 5th year for the Switch would start Mach 2022. We will have to see how coming out during the tail end of a generation works out for them on the other side. I happen to think the Switch 2 is coming sooner rather than later.

I wasn't debating Switch software sales either. I'm aware that they shift a lot of units. I was posing the question of quality.
Yes I got your point, that's why I said that the top sellers being Nintendo games doesn't mean anything for third party games. I thought you were talking about sales and saying it was lack of third party games that made the Witcher do well so apologies for that misunderstanding.

I class March 2017- February 2018 as the first year, so the fifth year will be March 2021 to February 2022. Based on the known line-up I'm expecting it to be the best third party year both quality wise and sales wise. Nintendo has said the Switch has just entered the middle of its life so I'm not expecting a successor until holiday 2023 at the earliest. Why do you think it will come earlier?

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Pikmin 3 Deluxe is flopping worldwide except Japan.
Ya but full price though.

Had they charged the suitable half price for it it might have much better sales.

You don't bring back a franchise that has never really sold amazingly well. Release the same game and charge full price for it. It's lunacy.

If it's a weak franchise charge less. Simple as.

They should have done the same with Bayonetta as well. I know they had that desk where you can buy both together but they should have been budget games at best.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Great news! I started playing yesterday after finishing Spider-man and it's tons of fun! It's like BOTW but without dungeons. Can't wait to play again later.

PS5 are way too hard to find so I'll play more on my Switch.

Top Bottom