• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity shipments+digital has exceeded 3 million units in 5 days.

Bodomism

Banned

-The game was released in 20th November.
-First Musou game in the series to ship 3 million units during launch.
-Another 3 million seller for the company after Nioh and Fire Emblem 3 Houses.

Skyward Sword will be outsold by BOTW spinoff lol.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Tecmo Koei must be happy. It’s standard stuff for Nintendo launches, but being the best launched Warriors game ever is pretty crazy. This... is a pretty good brand to hitch your wagon to, lol.

Quite fun game so far, so I’d be tempted to think it deserves it.

I did laugh at the Skyward thing. It’s crazy to see BotW’s spinoff outselling it in one day. I think it’s as much of a compliment for what Nintendo is doing now, as a criticism for what they were doing then. I honestly don’t know how Skyward Sword managed to make a brand new Zelda game seem so unexciting. It was a cool enough entry in the end, but from the very first E3 appearance, it bored.

Chukhopops

It’s surprising because reviews weren’t too hot about it and it’s far from a traditional Zelda game.

But I love it so far, it’s really the best Musou game ever made, so many QoL improvements compared to FEW.

I hope they bring P5S next.

Bodomism

Banned
Good on Koei-Tecmo. A great company representing the best of Japanese games development right now.
They're one of the Japanese companies that didn't ignore Nintendo Switch big userbase and succeeded with their business decision.

-Hyrule Warriors deluxe edition
-Fire Emblem Warriors
-Fire Emblem 3 Houses
-Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
-Marvel ultimate alliance 3
-Atelier stuff and other games.

Square Enix, on the other hand .....

Last edited:

Hudo

Wow. Good for Koei Tecmo. Between the successes of the Musou spinoffs, the success of Atelier Ryza (I remember reading that it has become the most successful Atelier game to date) and NiOh 2, Koei Tecmo have been gaining quite a lot of traction while still being relatively low-key when compared to other Japanese publishers.

Now... where's that new Aerobiz game...

Bodomism

Banned
Tecmo Koei must be happy. It’s standard stuff for Nintendo launches, but being the best launched Warriors game ever is pretty crazy. This... is a pretty good brand to hitch your wagon to, lol.

I did laugh at the Skyward thing. It’s crazy to see BotW’s spinoff outselling it in one day. I think it’s as much of a compliment for what Nintendo is doing now, as a criticism for what they were doing then. I honestly don’t know how Skyward Sword managed to make a brand new Zelda game seem so unexciting. It was a cool enough entry in the end, but from the very first E3 appearance, it bored.
Skyrim stole Skyward Sword thunder ⚡ and soccer moms along with casual gamers already abandoned the system at that point and went to the iphone, that subsequently prompted Nintendo to create WiiU 😷🔥.

Roufianos

A game with a 79 MC selling gangbusters? Been a tough year for Switch owners (unless you're obsessed with Animal Crossing) so I guess it's understandable.

noshten

A game with a 79 MC selling gangbusters? Been a tough year for Switch owners (unless you're obsessed with Animal Crossing) so I guess it's understandable.

Yet the GOTY contender Hades is console exclusive to the Switch, tough year indeed

Expected result for Koei and it will be interesting to see how much additional copies they need to ship by the EOY. Currently for November its:
#5 on Amazon.com behind Just Dance;
#2 on Amazon.fr behind New Horizon;
#12 on Amazon.de behind Ring Fit, New Horizon, AC:V, MK8D & FIFA
n/a on Amazon.co.uk but we know it sold around 30K in the UK during it's launch week

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Sales of Nintendo 1st party published games in 2020.

Animal Crossing New Horizons - 26.04 million units

Clubhouse games - 1.81 million units

Paper Mario: TOGK - 2.82 million units

Super Mario 3D All stars - 5.21 million units

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - 3 million units

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - 1.43 million units

Xenoblade Chronicles DE - 1.4 million units.

Last edited:

Zenaku

Hopefully they capitalize on this and announce update/dlc plans to help drive sales.

Improve performance, add more characters, extra scenarios, extra modes and the like; make this game bigger and better than HW1 when all is said and done.

DrBillOA

Banned
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is flopping worldwide except Japan.

I guess BOTW game as a stand alone brand is bigger than Zelda series.

People will buy anything related to BOTW at this point even it just a warrior game lol.
Seems like this game is popular, that's my converse position. :messenger_fire:

Roufianos

Well, the fact that you've had to include two remasters, a minigame collection and a shockingly poor Pokemon game tells me everything I need to know. Only two 80+ rated new AAA releases on this list.

Nintendo have had a very poor year but hey, that's just one man's opinion. I haven't even been tempted to pick up my Switch outside of the chance to revisit Mario Sunshine.

Here's to BoTW2, a new Mario and hopefully a semi-ambitious Pokemon RPG next year.

Fbh

Good for Koei.
The first one was OK. I'd definitely give this one a try on a sale as it looks better, but since it's Nintendo I'll just see if I can borrow it from someone in the future.

Most games with one of the core Nintendo franchises will sell gangbusters.
This one even more so since it's closely tied to Breath of The Wild which is both one of the most popular games on the system as well as one of the most anticipated sequels.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Skyward Sword was really good and anyone who thinks a spinoff is better because of sales is out of their mind, you gotta be careful with spinoffs because now they can put the Zelda logo on a piece of bubblegum and you'd buy it.

Bodomism

Banned
Skyward Sword was really good and anyone who thinks a spinoff is better because of sales is out of their mind, you gotta be careful with spinoffs because now they can put the Zelda logo on a piece of bubblegum and you'd buy it.
They need to remake it with traditional control scheme.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Well deserved. Koei Tecmo has been producing some great titles, especially on Switch.

I'm not a huge musou fan but I enjoyed the first one. There was a ton of content so I did not 100% it. It got a bit overwhelming and monotonous after a while.

This new one is great. I was immediately struck by how cohesive of an experience it was coming from BOTW to this game even down to the menu design and sounds.

My wife got it for me for my birthday and I've been playing the hell out of it (which unfortunately means I'm out of the No New Games in 2020 challenge, right at the finish line too).

Very well-deserved success. Don't @ me with metacritic scores and framerate nitpicks, the game is an absolute delight.

As someone who tapers out early on Musou games (I do it with a lot of open world / games that seem directionless) - is this more cohesive than what I'm used to (Dynasty Warriors, Hyrule Warriors 1)?

ExpandKong

Banned
As someone who tapers out early on Musou games (I do it with a lot of open world / games that seem directionless) - is this more cohesive than what I'm used to (Dynasty Warriors, Hyrule Warriors 1)?

Honestly the only other Musou games I've played to any extent were the first Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, and I think the latest Fate/Extella game on the Switch (and I haven't finished that one) so I may not be the best person to ask about that.

It definitely feels more cohesive than the first HW. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with its focus on telling a story related to just one game in the franchise, rather than the greatest hits fanservice type approach to the first game. Everything from the UI to the map, weapons, etc., all seemingly ripped straight from BotW.

Unless you meant something else by cohesion that went over my head...let me know hahah.

My map is getting pretty crowded with sidequest icons at the moment so I might try to knock some of those out before continuing with the story, but I'm having a lot of fun.

It's the only holiday title for the Switch and also based on a very successfull franchise.

I'm 4 missions away from the ending (but there's tons of side quests pending)... it's a nice game but I wish the framerate (and the "what if" story) was better.

Kataploom

Gold Member
No wonder. There hasn't been anything to play the whole year.

Ehm...

BTW, I just started BOTW and... wtf is going on, this is a fucking open world sandbox, I'm not supposed to like it this much!

Bkdk

Nearly every game developers that go full throttle releasing game within this pandemic era will be rewarded with more than normal sales for their dedication and hard work, it's peak season for gaming right now and the 2021's fall could be pretty risky when people are using the money to travel, eating out instead.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is the framerate any better than it was in the demo?
It's actually a whole lot worse. Which is weird, the other Hyrule Warriors game for the Switch that was ported from the WiiU ran really well if I remember correctly.

The game is a lot of fun though, the framerate is really the worst part of it.

Chastten

Banned
Looking good!

I just bought the first game again for Switch in a pre-Black Friday sale as I don't have my Wii U hooked up anymore and I kinda like the idea of having everything on a single console anyways (yeah, I'm one of those weirdo's thats happy that all Wii U games are being re-released for Switch, sue me) so gonna play that first again.

Probably gonna buy AoC early next year alongside Atelier Ryza 2, Super Mario 3D World and Bravely Default II. Early 2021 looking packed!

Damned impressive, and great to see Japanese devs thriving on Switch.

I'llbe adding to that number once there'sa digital sale for it.

You've got to assume Nintendo regret going so hard on the motion controls gimmick with that game now.

Not only did it fail to find as large an audience as they now know Zelda can still attract, but they also made remastering it a logistical nightmare, that will require major investment in time and money to allow for it to be playable on normal hardware.

I'm certain we'll see Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and maybe the N64 remakes get Switch ports next year, but Skyward Sword? Odds are against it.

Honestly the only other Musou games I've played to any extent were the first Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, and I think the latest Fate/Extella game on the Switch (and I haven't finished that one) so I may not be the best person to ask about that.

It definitely feels more cohesive than the first HW. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with its focus on telling a story related to just one game in the franchise, rather than the greatest hits fanservice type approach to the first game. Everything from the UI to the map, weapons, etc., all seemingly ripped straight from BotW.

Unless you meant something else by cohesion that went over my head...let me know hahah.

My map is getting pretty crowded with sidequest icons at the moment so I might try to knock some of those out before continuing with the story, but I'm having a lot of fun.

Nope that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Getting it at Target in a few - thanks for the info!

Athena~

Banned
Woah
- first Hyrule Warriors took 5 months to reach 1 million
- Dynasty Warriors 4 was the best selling Warriors game: sold 2.2 millions LTD

This is a massive victory!

My copy arrived this morning, the box art is gorgeous, can’t wait to play it later.
For real:
hyrulewarriors-ac-artwork-01-1920x1080-1.jpg

Koei Tecmo is stunningly beautiful

Bodomism

Banned
There's always an (usually idiotic) explanation every time Nintendo is successful, isn't there? B Bodomism how does this one rank next to the covid bump dude?
That one is pretty weird take by stating Nintendo users are desperate to play a new game and will buy anything even with the games at 79 metascore because Nintendo has nothing in 2020 even a bad game is enough to justify the purchase.

On the other hand, these games below are consistently being the best selling games on Playstation and XBOX annually, by using his logic PlayStation and XBOX users are also desperate to play a new game since Sony and Microsoft output are lackluster in those years that forcing them to buy games with metascore around age of Calamity.

arDfDzP.png

KingT731

That one is pretty weird take by stating Nintendo users are desperate to play a new game and will buy anything even with the games at 79 metascore because Nintendo has nothing in 2020 even a bad game is enough to justify the purchase.

On the other hand, these games below are consistently being the best selling games on Playstation and XBOX annually, by using his logic PlayStation and XBOX users are also desperate to play a new game since Sony and Microsoft output are lackluster in those years that forcing them to buy games with metascore around age of Calamity.

arDfDzP.png
A lot of casuals play CoD. For many it's the only game they buy. What does that have to do with Nintendo?

Top Bottom