• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity Announced (releases November 20th)

I've seen it both ways. I think some Hyrule Warriors fans go too far thinking the first game is canon. That it merges the timeline and this game is just a sequel of Hyrule Warriors connecting yet another part of the timeline and it should all be official. Seem some of those fools swear up and down this is the Zelda Engine, when it is clearly an asset/art style use. You need the Musou Engine for it to be a musou right lol

on the other side we have the Zelda fans who hates these Hyrule Warrior fans like they hate Jim Sterling for giving BoTW a 7 *the attention whore deserves the hate for that score btw

I don't think the musou is going to be accepted by all fans because it plays loose with some of the facts they have in mind for what is a true Zelda and anything that moves away from what is seen in the main game. You need new powers to make it fun and you need random cast of new characters to choose from.

For me this game could work well if it really told the story that Nintendo was too lazy or busy to tell themselves

Kinda hard on Zelda fans when they just wanted this part of the story as DLC in the main game, play as Zelda and the Champions was a major ask from them and if they reject this game it is because they are still bitter about that shit.

I think you can love this game as a spinoff and still get from it the part of the story we wanted to see even with all the parts of Warriors games we might not enjoy.

why take it more seriously than nintendo tho?

these guys were just remaking a formula when a few people asked them about the zelda universe timeline...they were like 'wait, wut?'

there was no master plan...the more you try and corner nintendo with past games, the dumber the possibilities for 'sword guy:next', which is all it is

i know vagina seems as bleak a possibility as ever these days, but sucking zeldas canon won't get you there

imo anyway

Vawn

Banned
A game where the entire cast, including Link almost, is killed before credits roll, Hyrule burning to ashes, Ganon released, Zelda sacrificed, thousands of Guardians swarming anything that's left, etc. is certainly going to be an interesting Zelda narrative.

This has the potential to be the most epic, sad Zelda story ever, instead of just lurking in BotW's periphery.

It worked for Crysis Core.

Petopia

Banned
Urgh... Greedy Nintendo is squeezing the money that I sat aside for the next gen... Day 1.

I am not much fan of Moshou series, and I haven't touched previous Hyrule Warriors... but I like BOTW world... so will definitely check this out.

I heard Team Omega Force did quite well with the Persona 5 Strikers, and was quite excited about it and looking forward to it. Assuming it's Omega Force team worked on this project - crossing fingers that it would be a good game!
Imma big fan my self i m just pissed that its zelda fanboys dont play real musou games rather than the gimmick ones.

Silvawuff

Imma big fan my self i m just pissed that its zelda fanboys dont play real musou games rather than the gimmick ones.

There's a chance that people that enjoy this pedigree of game may say "hey, I like musous, maybe I should check out these other games too!"

There's no bad with people discovering something new, especially if it's with a coat of paint that makes it more mainstream accessible to a wider audience.

lachesis

Well I prefer The Romance of Three Kingdoms in simulation form for some reason.

The last DW game that I played was the original PS2 version, and didn't really captivate me at all. Since then, there have been several times that I was interested in the cross-franchise versions - like The Fist of North Star or Gundam Musou - but never really played them either...

I'm sure the series has come very far - so if I like the P5S and this Age of Calamity, I may give DW series more of a chance.

Is this entire game reused assets? I watched the trailer and looked at the screenshots, and that seems to be the case.

If true, then that's just lazy. I mean, both the original Hyrule Warriors & Zelda: Breath of the Wild were originally on the Wii U/3DS in which it had gotten ported to Switch under Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition & in which BOTW had received a Switch port.

I'm sure that they could've used different assets especially in which the Switch is more powerful than the other two platforms.

Last edited:
why take it more seriously than nintendo tho?

these guys were just remaking a formula when a few people asked them about the zelda universe timeline...they were like 'wait, wut?'

there was no master plan...the more you try and corner nintendo with past games, the dumber the possibilities for 'sword guy:next', which is all it is

i know vagina seems as bleak a possibility as ever these days, but sucking zeldas canon won't get you there

imo anyway

Meh, If I knew why fans took sides I would not be posting observations on their silly views

I just made an observation of both sides I did not say I was a vagina thirsty member. I enjoy BotW it is on my top 5 games.
I love playing Zelda but I am more of a Xenoblade fan than a Zelda timeline crazed fan I have not even played Skyward Sword far enough to get my membership card and Zelda 2 is hard as ass not going to make it bruh.

I am just making an observation as I said. I enjoy these games I think the stories are always too vastly different to explain with a simple timeline this was all made up to sell more copies. Hyrule Warriors is one huge cash in. So yes I would agree with you there was no damn timeline until fans started talking about it and Nintendo sold art books with that stuff included. Nintendo makes up Mario lore as they go along for each game there was never a master plan. Donkey Kong was a reskin because they could not get the rights to Popeye. If you follow Nintendo development history you'd know they don't master plan any of these IPs but they do make great games and with those games fans fill in the rest. Fans are the ones who push the Lore that later end up becoming canon.

to be clear I am not anti-timeline, I love anything that supports the lore and story in any game I enjoy. I am just aware the shit is made up on a whim.

imo, thinking loving Zelda makes pussy harder to acquire is a rookie mistake bruh, I don't have a Triforce Tattoo but I don't think getting one would mean less pussy

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned
tenor.gif
EverlastingComposedArchaeocete-small.gif
Truth serum only people are here cause of zelda not musou

Saruhashi

Banned
Meh, If I knew why fans took sides I would not be posting observations on their silly views

I just made an observation of both sides I did not say I was a vagina thirsty member. I enjoy BotW it is on my top 5 games.
I love playing Zelda but I am more of a Xenoblade fan than a Zelda timeline crazed fan I have not even played Skyward Sword far enough to get my membership card and Zelda 2 is hard as ass not going to make it bruh.

I am just making an observation as I said. I enjoy these games I think the stories are always too vastly different to explain with a simple timeline this was all made up to sell more copies. Hyrule Warriors is one huge cash in. So yes I would agree with you there was no damn timeline until fans started talking about it and Nintendo sold art books with that stuff included. Nintendo makes up Mario lore as they go along for each game there was never a master plan. Donkey Kong was a reskin because they could not get the rights to Popeye. If you follow Nintendo development history you'd know they don't master plan any of these IPs but they do make great games and with those games fans fill in the rest. Fans are the ones who push the Lore that later end up becoming canon.

to be clear I am not anti-timeline, I love anything that supports the lore and story in any game I enjoy. I am just aware the shit is made up on a whim.

imo, thinking loving Zelda makes pussy harder to acquire is a rookie mistake bruh, I don't have a Triforce Tattoo but I don't think getting one would mean less pussy

Yeah, I always thought it was weird that people felt like a timeline for Zelda was necessary.
In my mind it was always just that each game belongs to a separate universe but there is always a few common elements.

Maybe in a lot of ways the older Nintendo franchises are throwbacks to a time when games were just games.
A sequel just meant "the same kind of stuff with a few new ideas thrown in".

Once you move into this territory where people want their games to be more like movies and TV shows there is a demand for coherent lore and "story".
I think you lose some of the joy behind the gaming aspect of things when you do that.
Think of TLOU2 and how the whole conversation around that game was about story and graphics.

Like how one of the biggest criticisms of BotW is always "no story".
Well, it's a videogame, not a book.

Or how people went mental over the Wind Waker artstyle back in the day.
The game is still the game.
(Personally I think the Wind Waker artstyle still holds up to this day.)

Even with this game a lot of people's first reaction is "we get to find out what happened 100 years ago!"
That's gonna be like 5% of the package here.

Yeah, I always thought it was weird that people felt like a timeline for Zelda was necessary.
In my mind it was always just that each game belongs to a separate universe but there is always a few common elements.

Maybe in a lot of ways the older Nintendo franchises are throwbacks to a time when games were just games.
A sequel just meant "the same kind of stuff with a few new ideas thrown in".

Once you move into this territory where people want their games to be more like movies and TV shows there is a demand for coherent lore and "story".
I think you lose some of the joy behind the gaming aspect of things when you do that.
Think of TLOU2 and how the whole conversation around that game was about story and graphics.

Like how one of the biggest criticisms of BotW is always "no story".
Well, it's a videogame, not a book.

Or how people went mental over the Wind Waker artstyle back in the day.
The game is still the game.
(Personally I think the Wind Waker artstyle still holds up to this day.)

Even with this game a lot of people's first reaction is "we get to find out what happened 100 years ago!"
That's gonna be like 5% of the package here.

I agree with you fans seem to take this shit a lot more seriously now that most of their comicbooks and fantasy IP are rulers of Hollywood boxoffice
these stories are much more mainstream so they became more serious about the lore and facts.

BotW not having to hammer you over the head with story made exploring the world and discovering strange things a lot more interesting imo
there are a lot of little secrets in BotW that are not explained by any other Zelda game, many new stories can be created around these new elements.

In a way adding more story to BoTW hurts these new elements

but yeah the loudest fans will always be out here complaining until Nintendo makes an effort to please them, this will continue

BlackTron

If true, then that's just lazy. I mean, both the original Hyrule Warriors & Zelda: Breath of the Wild were originally on the Wii U/3DS in which it had gotten ported to Switch under Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition & in which BOTW had received a Switch port.

I'm sure that they could've used different assets especially in which the Switch is more powerful than the other two platforms.

Switch is not that much better than Wii U. You might recall BOTW came out for both and the Switch version only managed a slightly more stable framerate. Switch is a system for playing Wii U, PS3 and X360 style games very competently.

I mean, maybe you could still call it lazy, but not because the hardware is so much better.

StormCell

I actually enjoyed the Hyrule Warriors musou play even if the limited battlefields made the game incredibly repetitive. What I find unfortunate is that we're unlikely to see Koei Tecmo seriously adapt their musou template to accommodate any sort of exploration that Zelda fans enjoy. That is to say that the battlefields could tolerate being a lot bigger and the battles could require considerably more challenge than killing thousands of fodder enemies and switching between characters on the battlefield to accomplish the same within a challenging time limit. That sort of doesn't do it for me really.

That said, that's what I'm basically expecting plus the story cinematics. I will sorely miss the strategy of BotW in this game. The joy of concocting attacks using ordinary objects that are laying around like boulders is likely nowhere to be found. After all, this is a musou first and foremost.

Switch is not that much better than Wii U. You might recall BOTW came out for both and the Switch version only managed a slightly more stable framerate. Switch is a system for playing Wii U, PS3 and X360 style games very competently.

I mean, maybe you could still call it lazy, but not because the hardware is so much better.

Go look at games like Super Mario Odyssey & Luigi's Mansion 3 & tell me that again. I doubt that the Wii U could handle graphics, physics, etc. like that.

Switch is definitely capable of excellent graphics of games when it comes to making games that didn't come from Wii U's hardware in it's entirety.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Go look at games like Super Mario Odyssey & Luigi's Mansion 3 & tell me that again. I doubt that the Wii U could handle graphics, physics, etc. like that.

Switch is definitely capable of excellent graphics of games when it comes to making games that didn't come from Wii U's hardware in it's entirety.
I'm pretty sure the Wii U could handle Odyssey lmao. There is nothing impressive about its visuals granted it targets 60 fps.

SketchyGamerMan

Neo Member
That means we aren't getting Breath of the Wild 2 this year :(

Honestly it isn't appealing to me. The Dynasty Warriors gameplay got old over a decade ago and I don't care to retread old stories, especially ones that were afterthoughts.

BlackTron

Yes, Switch is better than Wii U, that's obvious. It also benefits from being a modern Nvidia chip instead of the PowerPC stuff carried over since GCN. But it's not that much better. It's more like the difference between 3DS and New 3DS than a drastically different system.

Luigi's Mansion had impressive physics ever since Gamecube. Mario Odyssey could have been a Wii U game, it would have looked perhaps 5-10% less pretty.

Petopia

Banned
There's a chance that people that enjoy this pedigree of game may say "hey, I like musous, maybe I should check out these other games too!"

There's no bad with people discovering something new, especially if it's with a coat of paint that makes it more mainstream accessible to a wider audience.
It wont work since the hill they die on is zelda games not musou games.

its_Ditz

The tears of legend of zelda fans, also go play some real musou games please
Cause u a zelda fanboy thats why
Well story is zelda, but how bout game play then
It wont work since the hill they die on is zelda games not musou games.
Ill drink those salty tears still though look up them receipts.
I did its just musou with problem solving til your character gets maxed out then you just mow every body down with ur musou attack.

1004538_591811430858354_149246462_n.jpg

GAMETA

Banned
I'll play the hell out of this.

I don't think BotW has a big enough cast to support a Warriors game on its own, though. I wonder if we'll be seeing older characters reinterpreted in BotW's style?
I think they'll be fine.

Confirmed:
Link
Zelda
Daruk
Rivali
Mipha
Urbosa

Possible:
Impa
Purah
King Rhoam (Zelda's Father)
Zora King
Hetsu (the Korok seed guy)
Kass (his master died in the calamity, so he was alive then)

They can also create generals and such for Hyrule's army if more characters are necessary.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Ulysses 31

I think they'll be fine.

Confirmed:
Link
Zelda
Daruk
Rivali
Mipha
Urbosa

Possible:
Impa
Purah
King Rhoam (Zelda's Father)
Zora King
Hetsu (the Korok seed guy)
Kass (his master died in the calamity, so he was alive then)

They can also create generals and such for Hyrule's army if more characters are necessary.
Maybe also joke warriors like the great fairy or horse fairy. 👀

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
From I can understand from this game is that its prequel to original BotW, so I think there is mostly going to be BotW characters, is it not?
i know, but in the world of the videogames... everything is possible via DLC :messenger_grinning_squinting:

i could be interesting a Marin version of BOTW model.

Top Bottom