• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity Announced (releases November 20th)

VN1X

Banned
I'll see if I can borrow it for someone, I'd buy for $20 but it will never be that cheap.
First one was ok but like every other musou got really repetitive and monotonous after like 10 hours.
The amount of content in HW: DE is staggering.

10 hours?

iu

Scotty W

I'm still pissed about not being in Mario Kart 8.
You should relax.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I rather chew glass then play another warriors game.

this type of game is for people that are beyond brain dead.

for an actual second i thought this was something people wanted. Like a remixed botw overworld.

Fuck might as well have announced zelda curling.

Last edited:

Fbh

The amount of content in HW: DE is staggering.

10 hours?

iu

Having lots of content doesn't change the fact it gets boring after 10 hours. You can have 2000 missions, doesn't change how they are all on the same basic maps, fighting the same enemies the same way with the same basic combos for every characters, against the same brainless enemy waves and the same slightly stronger enemies that you need to beat the exact same way every time because they are really spongy if you don't attack their "weak point".

Ultimately though I think how much you get out of these musou will depend on how much you care about the IP they are adapting.
I had more fun with Pirate Warrior 3 and also played it a lot longer because it had lots of characters I wanted to try out and level up. As much as I like the Zelda games I just don't particularly care for most characters in them. So beyond Link, Zelda, Ganon and maybe Impa I didn't really care about many of the playable characters.

Jooxed

Gold Member
A game where the entire cast, including Link almost, is killed before credits roll, Hyrule burning to ashes, Ganon released, Zelda sacrificed, thousands of Guardians swarming anything that's left, etc. is certainly going to be an interesting Zelda narrative.

This has the potential to be the most epic, sad Zelda story ever, instead of just lurking in BotW's periphery.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's going to be interesting playing a Zelda game where we know we are going to lose.

Tiamat2san

The previous was good, like one piece pirates warriors or berserk, I prefer the « spin of » than the original dynasty warriors series which became a big pile of shit.

Rodolink

awesome! I enjoyed the first one, although these games get tedious very fast for me. (too much grinding) but story and characters were cool.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I want to want this, but I just couldn't get into the first one. Gonna give it another try soon enough, though.

Bodomism

Banned
Seriously though, they're working directly with BOTW team for the consistency of the series rather than just a musou game with BOTW skin.

Mario Kart live + Pikmim 3 + Hyrule warriors AOC = Nintendo Switch nowhere to be found in the holiday.

Seriously though, they're working directly with BOTW team for the consistency of the series rather than just a musou game with BOTW skin.

Mario Kart live + Pikmim 3 + Hyrule warriors AOC = Nintendo Switch nowhere to be found in the holiday.
also mario all stars. Not that i'm super enthused for Mario Kart Live, but you know kids parents be buying that, lol. Glad something is being made for the hardcore, though! (Calamity)

lachesis

Urgh... Greedy Nintendo is squeezing the money that I sat aside for the next gen... Day 1.

I am not much fan of Moshou series, and I haven't touched previous Hyrule Warriors... but I like BOTW world... so will definitely check this out.

I heard Team Omega Force did quite well with the Persona 5 Strikers, and was quite excited about it and looking forward to it. Assuming it's Omega Force team worked on this project - crossing fingers that it would be a good game!

Urgh... Greedy Nintendo is squeezing the money that I sat aside for the next gen... Day 1.

I am not much fan of Moshou series, and I haven't touched previous Hyrule Warriors... but I like BOTW world... so will definitely check this out.

I heard Team Omega Force did quite well with the Persona 5 Strikers, and was quite excited about it and looking forward to it. Assuming it's Omega Force team worked on this project - crossing fingers that it would be a good game!
yeah, this doesn't look to be your typical mosou game. Story of BotW, great bosses, etc. It looks super-great.

It looks soooooo good. They really made it look just like BotW.

Having it actually be a unique spot on the timeline is a genius move. Definitely have to get this. The first one wasn't perfect, but I played it at least 20 hours.

StormCell

As one who isn't really a fan of the mosou spinoff games but has bought Hyrule Warriors twice (Wii U, Switch), this looks to be a little bit different. I hope for a little bit deeper gameplay and a little less reliance on repeating battle scenarios on the same set of battlefields. I had fun with Hyrule Warriors and enjoyed the fan service content it provided, but if they want to really nail this then they are going to have to open it up into more of an adventure with dozens of locations and unique battle scenarios. They're advertising this as a story, so they better tell one.

Last edited:

Rran

This looks awesome and I really enjoyed the original HW. Hopefully there are some gameplay tweaks to work in the BotW-ness of it all though. Maybe vertical/paraglider sections.

I wonder if they're going to actually try to stick to the storyline seriously? Because if they are, then Link doesn't have the tablet or any of his unique powers like stasis or magnesis.

But these games tend to just go for whatever looks fun.

ExpandKong

Banned
I wonder if they're going to actually try to stick to the storyline seriously? Because if they are, then Link doesn't have the tablet or any of his unique powers like stasis or magnesis.

But these games tend to just go for whatever looks fun.

Trailer 2 showed someone using Stasis on a Lynel but I didn't see if it was Link or Zelda.

At the 1:00 mark...looks like it was Zelda.

They also show Link earlier on hucking a bomb at some enemies so I imagine they're gonna loosen up a little bit for gameplay's sake. Did they say in BotW that there was only one slate in existence? I can't remember but it seemed like there might be more. They always call it "a sheikah slate" and not "the sheikah slate."

Trailer 2 showed someone using Stasis on a Lynel but I didn't see if it was Link or Zelda.

At the 1:00 mark...looks like it was Zelda.

They also show Link earlier on hucking a bomb at some enemies so I imagine they're gonna loosen up a little bit for gameplay's sake. Did they say in BotW that there was only one slate in existence? I can't remember but it seemed like there might be more. They always call it "a sheikah slate" and not "the sheikah slate."

Good catch. Yeah, the way these games go it's fine. It would be neat if they took it that seriously but I didn't expect it.

I was always under the impression that the sheikah slate was not known tech until BotW actually starts, but I could be wrong. Maybe they'll have some explanations in game.

belmarduk

Interesting, i loved Hyrule Warriors but thought their Fire Emblem game was kind of shitty (the art was unappealing and characters not as fun) was hoping for a sequel but im gonna miss Hyrule Warriors Link with the scarf 🥺
images

This is going to be fun

Hmmmm... They made Link look like a BTS member.

ExpandKong

Banned
Interesting, i loved Hyrule Warriors but thought their Fire Emblem game was kind of shitty (the art was unappealing and characters not as fun) was hoping for a sequel but im gonna miss Hyrule Warriors Link with the scarf 🥺
images

This is going to be fun

I would bet money character skins and costumes will be coming as preorder bonuses or DLC.

Sybrix

Im inexperienced with Zelda games, first one i played was BOTW and it turned out to be one of my most favourite games ever.

Is this game effectively BOTW Combat only?

Im inexperienced with Zelda games, first one i played was BOTW and it turned out to be one of my most favourite games ever.

Is this game effectively BOTW Combat only?
It's completely different from the Zelda series. This is a Dynasty Warriors game. A hack and slash, a beat em up. 1 character endlessly slashing 1000s of enemies.

That said, it's one of the better ones. They put a lot of effort into series tribute stuff, references and easter eggs.

Manji Uzuki

I wonder if they will take an approach more like P5 Scramble with musou like battles but much more story and exploration.

They got me hyped with that trailer

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OK, this looks awesome, and I haven't really been a fan of Warriors/Musou games for a very long time now. Love that they matched the BoTW visual style.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pejo

That reminded me that I never played the OG Hyrule Warriors. Went to buy it on Amazon/Best Buy/etc and it's sold out everywhere for Switch.

Anyways, looks cool, and I hope the story is suitably dark.

so let's recap what Nintendo fans got instead of Zelda 2 and Metroid promised long ago:

Labo, Animal Crossing, several Pokemon, several minor Marios as usual, a dancing Zelda indie, a musou Zelda, several collection of Mario emulated oldies

and no Star Fox, F-Zero, Donkey Kong in sight as usual

Lmao

Hyrule Warriors was the first, and so far only musou game I've played... and I love it.
I never 100%'d it though - I completed all the adventure maps entirely (which took a while), but buying every badge for every character required a lot more grinding than I was willing to do, and I'm pretty sure some of the hardmode skulltulas in the story can't be unlocked without a second player.

Top Bottom