• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity Announced (releases November 20th)

jaysius

Banned
I thought Musou died fully? NIntendo is like NOPE! We'll squeeze content hungry fans with any low hanging fruit we can find!

Next up: Nintendo sells Mario or Kirby to the worst Survival game maker, maybe the crowd that made Conan.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Box Art.
HW_Lead.jpg

This actually looks really cool. Don't get why Nintendo didn't just combine their last couple of announcements in one proper Direct. I think people would've been a lot happier if that had happened.

ranmafan

I love Zelda, l love breath of the Wild, I love musou games, so this is for me. And having it set 100 years before botw, day one purchase for sure!

jigglet

Banned
I'd buy this if I didn't have carpel tunnel. Button mashers are just too hard for me to enjoy these days. I really wish they had accessibility options like "hold down button to repeatedly mash".

Last edited:
So I guess having a story based musou linked as a prequel or a sequel to a base entry like persona scramble worked for them.

Also, is nintendo going to buy koei? They are working on a lot of nintendo ips. Is mario warriors next?

Hyrule Warriors is boss, still play it occasionally on the WiiU. Another decent entry in the spin-off series could entice me into picking up a Switch

Cool, I'll wait for the complete edition since i was fucked over by the first game on WiiU and this IS KT we're talking about here there's going to be TONS of overpriced DLC.

kunonabi

Probably going to be the best thing to come out of Breath of the Wild if BotW2 doesnt address all of the original's issues.

Nice to finally see a new game on the Switch even if it still isn't an internally developed one.

VN1X

Banned
So this is evidently Hyrule Warriors 2? LOVED the first game and if they fix the mobile performance (ie: don't run it in 1080p this time) it'll be absolutely perfect. Can't wait!

Shaqazooloo

Completed HW1 on Wii U. Had a good time, so I'm down for this.

I have HW: DE on Switch so guess I'm gonna playthrough that before this drops.

Last edited:

Arkam

I am so torn. On the one hand this game looks great. HW was mad fun and taking the BOTW setting and art style is smart. On the other hand, this means no BOTW2 this year. I was still holding out hope that Nintendo would pull a MM and release BOTW2 against the 4kTwins. Ill just move the goalpost and hope for March 2021 release then.

Ulysses 31

so no cringefan-service characters? Eh, I’ll live.
There's no guarantee they won't invent cute pretty female warriors for this game too though. :p

2(3 with Linkle?) out of 29 warriors that were "fan service cringe" didn't seem overbearing to me? 🤷‍♂️

iu

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
I've not played the Hyrule Warriors series but BOTW is in my top 3 GOAT.

Will this consist mainly of brainless button mashing? No interest if so.

El Sueño

Amazing. I really love how respectful japaneses are. I´m from Chile and as a society we are centuries away to be like them. Nintendo always rocking.

-Arcadia-

Banned
A game where the entire cast, including Link almost, is killed before credits roll, Hyrule burning to ashes, Ganon released, Zelda sacrificed, thousands of Guardians swarming anything that's left, etc. is certainly going to be an interesting Zelda narrative.

This has the potential to be the most epic, sad Zelda story ever, instead of just lurking in BotW's periphery.

Ulysses 31

I've not played the Hyrule Warriors series but BOTW is in my top 3 GOAT.

Will this consist mainly of brainless button mashing? No interest if so.
I becomes button mashy once you get OP weapons, otherwise you'll have to use combos best suited for the situation, choose to stay and defend current fortress or go help another fortress that's being taken over. You'll have to get best rank to unlock the best weapons which depends on damage taken, time and KOs.

Is it worth picking up to play before this?
Depends if you like Warriors games.

Doubt it will be directly related, the whole story is non sense universe travelling to get characters together, you'll get a feel for the gameplay loop that will likely be in this new game.

As a warriors game, Hyrule Warriors is ranked among the best of the genre I think.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Why can't this story stuff be done as an expansion for the first BOTW? Fuck you Nintendo / Koei Tecmo, I won't be buying / playing this repetitive button-masher.

00_Zer0

The first game caused my son and I to quit the game after failing one too many missions. We never went back ever since. The only reason I will give this game a chance is that Nintendo is helping in the development of the game the whole step of the way.

I'm not big into Dynasty Warriors/Musou games, but I'm a sucker for BOTW and the storyline 100 years before it.

In my imagination I thought Nintendo themselves would create an online multiplayer prequel with action/rpg and adventure elements to explore an open world game with your friends as one of the champions, but of course Nintendo isn't doing such a game.

With my expectations in check I'm willing to try this game since Nintendo seems to be guiding the story and gameplay.

Last edited:

SinDelta

Out of fucking nowhere

Great idea for a setting. Wonder what they've got in store next year for the 35th if they're not holding onto this for then.

Ocarina of Time full on remake from the ground up would be something.

Will probably be a bundle of Windwaker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Skyward Sword HD? Possible Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Not sure if Nintendo would or could port the 3DS versions.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Great art style, but it's still a musou :(
I never got on with Musou games before but then Hyrule Warriors DE happened to me. I also checked out Fate/Extella LINK and while that was also a quality Musou game it just wasn't the same as HW (much faster than HW though so recommended if you think that was too slow).

I put a ton of hours into HW: DE and I still haven't properly rinsed it. Time to finish up on Xenoblade fast and get back to the grind!

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Haven't tried the first "Complete" version, so I guess I'll wait for that to drop in price when this launches and if I like it enough I'll upgrade to get the Complete version of this one.

Bridges

Woah, this looks great. The first Hyrule Warriors was surprisingly one of the coolest games on Wii U (even if Fire Emblem Warriors ended up being kinda bunk), and I couldn't think of a cooler premise for a sequel. It's cool they worked so close with the Zelda team this time around, definitely picking this up.

Fbh

I'll see if I can borrow it for someone, I'd buy for $20 but it will never be that cheap.
First one was ok but like every other musou got really repetitive and monotonous after like 10 hours.

Top Bottom