• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity Announced (releases November 20th)

Cutty Flam

Banned
How is the first one? The original Hyrule Warriors? Was there a lot of potential? I’ve never played these types of games before but if it’s Zelda I know I’ll play them at some point

Still need to play LoZ: Link’s Awakening before I try Hyrule Warriors

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This reveal excites me since I loved the original HW and it's a actual new game for the Switch and not some sleazy success coasting port.

Looking forward to mah Dark Fantasy Zelda Musou game.

Jeeves

I'll play the hell out of this.

I don't think BotW has a big enough cast to support a Warriors game on its own, though. I wonder if we'll be seeing older characters reinterpreted in BotW's style?

NanaMiku

The only gripe I have with Warriors is the enemies are too floaty when they are hit. I was hoping they tone it a bit down in this prequel to be like in BOTW.

SuperGooey

There doesn't seem to be any unique enemies, models or locations. That's disappointing. Even though it's a prequel that takes place in the same Hyrule, some liberties would be appreciated especially since this is a completely genre of game.

These types of Dynasty Warriors games don't appeal to me, but I'm getting the impression that is a filler title before BotW2.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'll play the hell out of this.

I don't think BotW has a big enough cast to support a Warriors game on its own, though. I wonder if we'll be seeing older characters reinterpreted in BotW's style?

You have the champions, old guy, zelda, link, I think you could get to 8-10 outta the BOTW crew. I think as long as it mechanics are deeper I'd rather that then more characters.

Bodomism

Banned
It's going to sell pass 5 million mark for sure, can't believe some people thought it's going to sell only around 1-2 million units lol, even the old Hyrule Warriors on the WiiU managed to sell 1 million units and this is the canon prequel to the goat BOTW that has sold over 20 million units FFS.

-Arcadia-

Banned
So what I wanted out of the 2nd DLC pack in a play style I have no particular love for, wonderful.

My wallet really fucking hates you sometimes, Nintendo.

Trying to fit something like this war into a regular Zelda game, or even a DLC with limited scope, just wouldn’t work. The game design is not capable of it. Even the tech isn’t capable of it. And I can’t imagine Nintendo would start work on a prequel and figure all of that out, right alongside BotW2.

Hyrule Warriors, it’s ready-made mechanics, and popularity, is the only reason this story is getting a chance to be experienced like this. At some point, it is what it is.

How is the first one? The original Hyrule Warriors? Was there a lot of potential? I’ve never played these types of games before but if it’s Zelda I know I’ll play them at some point

The Definitive Edition, which includes all the DLC, has a ton of content. The story mode itself isn't that long, but that just the start; there's 10 or so adventure maps that will take hundreds of hours to complete 100%, lots of characters, weapons for each of them...
If you get into My Fairy and want to make an optimized one, it will take quite some time as well.
Trying to get every character to max level, with all of their medals unlocked, requires some severe grinding though.

You definitely should play LA before though. There's an entire adventure map dedicated to this game in HW.

linkroi

That's kind of unexpected to be honest. I did like the Definitive edition of Hyrule Warriors but the technical part of the game was a fuc**** mess (the framerate was horrible...) but despite that fact, was a pretty solid musou. The trailer is good, so i want to see more but i am interrested by the game !

Porcile

Nice. Mario next week. Shin Megami Tensei in October and this in November. I'm all set for the next few months :messenger_sunglasses:

buizel

Banned

do you like mashing aa bb aa bb a then you sucks

cireza

Banned
a223eb9f5db5dc11861fc4067099a20e4fc83224f384c839d974dc39560183f7.jpg

556adb6462799f3e58429ae800f7d9dcad405b139eb95f0081969a6307e7a532.jpg

Source
Unusual maps for a Musou. We might not get forts to conquer, but rather something like Arslan.

Last edited:

Woopah

so let's recap what Nintendo fans got instead of Zelda 2 and Metroid promised long ago:

Labo, Animal Crossing, several Pokemon, several minor Marios as usual, a dancing Zelda indie, a musou Zelda, several collection of Mario emulated oldies

and no Star Fox, F-Zero, Donkey Kong in sight as usual

Lmao
You're missing a huge amount of stuff from your list.

Would be great get a new Star Fox though.

I've seen it both ways. I think some Hyrule Warriors fans go too far thinking the first game is canon. That it merges the timeline and this game is just a sequel of Hyrule Warriors connecting yet another part of the timeline and it should all be official. Seem some of those fools swear up and down this is the Zelda Engine, when it is clearly an asset/art style use. You need the Musou Engine for it to be a musou right lol

on the other side we have the Zelda fans who hates these Hyrule Warrior fans like they hate Jim Sterling for giving BoTW a 7 *the attention whore deserves the hate for that score btw

I don't think the musou is going to be accepted by all fans because it plays loose with some of the facts they have in mind for what is a true Zelda and anything that moves away from what is seen in the main game. You need new powers to make it fun and you need random cast of new characters to choose from.

For me this game could work well if it really told the story that Nintendo was too lazy or busy to tell themselves

Kinda hard on Zelda fans when they just wanted this part of the story as DLC in the main game, play as Zelda and the Champions was a major ask from them and if they reject this game it is because they are still bitter about that shit.

I think you can love this game as a spinoff and still get from it the part of the story we wanted to see even with all the parts of Warriors games we might not enjoy.

BlackTron

So this looks like the game that BOTW claimed to be from its trailer, which was made of a bunch of cutscenes in the game that were in fact flashbacks to 100 years ago lol.

BOTW was OK for what it did but I found the trailer very misleading as to what the game actually was.

VN1X

Banned
so let's recap what Nintendo fans got instead of Zelda 2 and Metroid promised long ago:

Labo, Animal Crossing, several Pokemon, several minor Marios as usual, a dancing Zelda indie, a musou Zelda, several collection of Mario emulated oldies

Lmao
fff.jpg

I loved the first Hyrule Warriors. I wasn't a huge fan of musou games prior to it, but it gave me a bigger appreciation for them after that and I started playing more. This is an awesome I think too. Taking the war we heard about and just making it a musou game is a stroke of genius. Legit hyped about this news!

Bodomism

Banned

Lmao
Animal Crossing 22.4 million units less than 4 months.

Pokemon SwSh 18 million units less than a year.

Stay winning boys

Old Nintendo fans?

Zelda BOTW - 20 million units
Super Mario Odyssey - 18 million units
Smash Bros Ultimate - 20 million units

Very strong very Nintendo 💪🔥

all very watered down franchises today, almost as casual as anything else

Btw, here's some extra good news for Nintendo fans:

go on, spill forth those old Miyamoto words of wisdom again in between grinding teeth...

Top Bottom