• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hype trains you lived and breathed. | Your favourite pre-release hype fest, regardless of pay-off.

Tschumi

We're coming down from one of the most hyped games in history in Cyberpunk, and regardless of the game that came out I'm sure many gamers were all in on the hype train.

I just wonder: what're some of the great hype trains in gaming history that you really enjoyed buying in to?

I remember World of Warcraft giving me fits for months, Half Life 2 when it finally came, more recently Ground Zeros really captured my imagination for MGSV with its fantastic use of the anthemic "Here's to you", and the fake developer dude with all his bandaging~

Fill us in, allow yourself to revisit some golden aura'd period of anticipation and imagination, and geeking out with friends.

Note: board game rulesets can count

Last edited by a moderator:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
gta v - enjoyed it but knew so much about it that it ruined the experience. i knew my way around the map before i had even played the game.
cyberpunk - loving it and learned my lesson from GTA V. never go full hype. it's got some issues but i'm having so much fun with it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Classic WoW. The hype got so real that I genuinely couldn't play other games for a while, I just didn't care. I sunk 100 hours into a private server just to scratch the itch before the proper version released. I made a reddit account just to use the classic sub daily. I listened to podcasts, I even started watching people on Twitch which I haven't done before or since, just because they had beta access. I made the OT here, I spent hours organising documents and deliberating over what I was going to play and what I was going to do with it. I took launch week off and started playing at 11pm UK time when the servers went up, then played about 16 hours a day for 10 days. Joined a guild before launch and now continue to play all kinds of stuff with them.

Once in a lifetime moment, glad I was there. Quit before AQ40 due to the guild disbanding, but I'll be back for TBC. WoW is never about the destination, it's about the journey, and vanilla / classic was the peak of that journey.

n8TRlUo.png

GTA V launch was pretty hype, too. I was at university at the time so I grabbed a copy at midnight, loaded up on snacks and played through to dawn.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Classic WoW. The hype got so real that I genuinely couldn't play other games for a while, I just didn't care. I sunk 100 hours into a private server just to scratch the itch before the proper version released. I made a reddit account just to use the classic sub daily. I listened to podcasts, I even started watching people on Twitch which I haven't done before or since, just because they had beta access. I made the OT here, I spent hours organising documents and deliberating over what I was going to play and what I was going to do with it. I took launch week off and started playing at 11pm UK time when the servers went up, then played about 16 hours a day for 10 days. Joined a guild before launch and now continue to play all kinds of stuff with them.

Once in a lifetime moment, glad I was there. Quit before AQ40 due to the guild disbanding, but I'll be back for TBC. WoW is never about the destination, it's about the journey, and vanilla / classic was the peak of that journey.
Fill in the details! What private server? Kronos by any chance? What class main? What raid content, if any? Did you level quickly or soak it up?

I would really do evil things if it resurrected a fresh vanilla wow private server :'(

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Fill in the details! What private server? Kronos by any chance? What class main? What raid content, if any? Did you level quickly or soak it up?

I would really do evil things if it resurrected a fresh vanilla wow private server :'(
Can't even remember what private, I deleted all my toons before Classic launched. I started as a hunter, did my Rhok'Delar quest and cleared BWL. Switched to a rogue and continued to farm BWL, we never saw a single Maladath. Guild died before AQ40 sadly, maintaining a roster of 40 people in a semi-casual guild is really hard work, but I wasn't too interested in going back to play the remaining raids with a new set of friends. Soaked the hell out of that world on my hunter then (somewhat) powerlevelled the rogue, and a warlock, to 60. Currently unsubscribed but got a 45 shaman I'll be getting ready for TBC.

Kupfer

Half Life 2 all the way.
We had no own internet connection back then and I consumed every screenshot and every video I could get my hands on. I bought 3 different monthly published gaming magazines for months hoping they have different video content and even got the Counter Strike Condition Zero game, which included a disc with exclusive HL2 video material.
The week it released my friend came over with his PC, we drove with our bikes through the city to a guy we barely knew, because we heard he has a pirated version of the game which works. We even got a copy from him and were so pumped on the way back home. We extracted and installed the game on my friends PC, then on mine. We started playing HL2 side by side and showing each other what we discovered in game, compared graphics and so on.
We made it each to Ravenholm until we got a prompt A.I. disabled and we couldn't figure out what happened. Enemies weren't moving anymore. No internet to look it up and no one to ask since it was in the middle of the night. Hours later we could fix it by simply enable it again via console with ai_disable 0.
Good times.

Last edited:

Neff

Super Mario 64 was peak hype for me. I had dreams about it. It not only delivered but went above and beyond stratospheric expectations.

Super Mario World, Killer Instinct, Tekken 2, Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 2 (both versions), Resident Evil 5, and FFVII (again, both versions) were also hype juggernauts.

Tschumi

Can't even remember what private, I deleted all my toons before Classic launched. I started as a hunter, did my Rhok'Delar quest and cleared BWL. Switched to a rogue and continued to farm BWL, we never saw a single Maladath. Guild died before AQ40 sadly, maintaining a roster of 40 people in a semi-casual guild is really hard work, but I wasn't too interested in going back to play the remaining raids with a new set of friends. Soaked the hell out of that world on my hunter then (somewhat) powerlevelled the rogue, and a warlock, to 60. Currently unsubscribed but got a 45 shaman I'll be getting ready for TBC.
Nice nice, you got a good chunk of the experience! I was in private servers for years, i refuse to pay another sub for a game that has been so damn detrimental lol, but yeah, gotta love it. My mains were druid, pally and Hunter~ got a warrior to 54 before classic killed the server, sigh

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: AV

Eternal21

Death Stranding. That first trailer years ago was like nothing I've seen before. I've had fun playing it, but it was nowhere near to what it could've been (I'm assuming due to development time constraints). Then again Cyberpunk launch has made all overhyped games look like masterpieces in comparison.

retsof624

GTA V was the most hype I've ever been for a game. I was playing GTA IV for most of 2013 in anticipation for it. I don't know how many hours I put in GTA V's single player just messing around.

Kuranghi

Half-Life 2 for me. I started first year of university a month or two before it came out, I was in dorms and because the place was newly built it didn't have internet installed for everyone yet and we'd been promised super fast ethernet in every room. I spent every 2nd day talking to management for the dorms and trying to make sure it was in place for HL2 release date, since I had heard that the collector's edition disc version I was going to buy would still require more files to be downloaded after install (That turned out to be partially true as there was a patch but the file verification took the place of a download in terms of time taken).

The release date came around and I had built a new PC recently so some friends were also coming over to watch/play it with me on launch day, so a lot was at stake (in a nerd way). We read in the morning that it needed to "unlock" the files installed from the disc and that it might take some time because the servers were being hammered. We thought that since it was "just verifying the files" we could use a (slow af connection, this was 16 years ago) mobile phones hotspot to get a connection temporarily.

After we realised it would take over a day to verify the files that way we switched tac. We knew other people in the living complex had internet and we also had a 30m long ethernet cable. The place was divided into many separately accessable buildings, which were terraced in groups of 4-6, after a quick check of our own building with alcohol to bribe people to loan us their internet via cable we turned up short. The people below us didn't answer but we just thought that it was empty.

We eventually found someone in another building willing to lend their internet, but the buildings were physically separate. We got people at each window and threw the cable across to the other person, it was long enough but it was really tight and there were insanely dangerous tripwires throughout our own and the main hall of the building. With a better connection the timer reduced to something like 6 hours and we went off to do other things (Some of us just read the initial impressions of HL2 while we played other stuff on my PC).

It got activated eventually, took longer than 6 hours definitely and we started. For this first day we decided to have everyone play each chapter of the game, so there were 4 of us that wanted to play that meant repeating chapter one 4 times, then chapter two 4 times, etc. I can't believe everyone agreed to that haha, but it was the only way to ensure no one missed out experiencing some new elements the game had, like the physics puzzles or scripted events.

It was really fun and we got to the end of Ravenholm by that evening and stopped there. It was great seeing each different person tackle the situations in new ways, with the prior knowledge of those they'd watched play it before.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Had to be Twilight Princess. You had to be there, but the excitement was just stratospheric. People were so excited and shocked for the return of the Ocarina of Time style, as well as the fact that the game just looked jaw-droppingly ahead of anything out on console, epic, and almost open world in the first trailers.

Every single detail, piece of art, and trailer only amped it up that much more.

Did the actual game live up to that? Unsure. It was indeed the wonderful, Zelda dialed to 11, epic people were expecting, and just blew minds, but also quite linear and with its fair share of flaws. People also simultaneously realized they were being ridiculous and Wind Waker was an awesome game.

But the hype was unforgettable, and possibly the coolest thing I have ever experienced as a Nintendo fan.

K.S v2.0

Banned
Very recently? Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition/Vergil DLC hype. I wasn't going to buy a console for what was coming to PC in a month, so the month of waiting after DMC5SE's release was painful since it showed how good he actually was, so everyone knew it was worth waiting for. That just made the wait even more painful but... the day Vergil graced my life, was the greatest day of my life... For Vergil? It was (literally) Tuesday.

Half-Life 2 for me. I started first year of university a month or two before it came out, I was in dorms and because the place was newly built it didn't have internet installed for everyone yet and we'd been promised super fast ethernet in every room. I spent every 2nd day talking to management for the dorms and trying to make sure it was in place for HL2 release date, since I had heard that the collector's edition disc version I was going to buy would still require more files to be downloaded after install (That turned out to be partially true as there was a patch but the file verification took the place of a download in terms of time taken).

The release date came around and I had built a new PC recently so some friends were also coming over to watch/play it with me on launch day, so a lot was at stake (in a nerd way). We read in the morning that it needed to "unlock" the files installed from the disc and that it might take some time because the servers were being hammered. We thought that since it was "just verifying the files" we could use a (slow af connection, this was 16 years ago) mobile phones hotspot to get a connection temporarily.

After we realised it would take over a day to verify the files that way we switched tac. We knew other people in the living complex had internet and we also had a 30m long ethernet cable. The place was divided into many separately accessable buildings, which were terraced in groups of 4-6, after a quick check of our own building with alcohol to bribe people to loan us their internet via cable we turned up short. The people below us didn't answer but we just thought that it was empty.

We eventually found someone in another building willing to lend their internet, but the buildings were physically separate. We got people at each window and threw the cable across to the other person, it was long enough but it was really tight and there were insanely dangerous tripwires throughout our own and the main hall of the building. With a better connection the timer reduced to something like 6 hours and we went off to do other things (Some of us just read the initial impressions of HL2 while we played other stuff on my PC).

It got activated eventually, took longer than 6 hours definitely and we started. For this first day we decided to have everyone play each chapter of the game, so there were 4 of us that wanted to play that meant repeating chapter one 4 times, then chapter two 4 times, etc. I can't believe everyone agreed to that haha, but it was the only way to ensure no one missed out experiencing some new elements the game had, like the physics puzzles or scripted events.

It was really fun and we got to the end of Ravenholm by that evening and stopped there. It was great seeing each different person tackle the situations in new ways, with the prior knowledge of those they'd watched play it before.

One of the best stories in this thread next to the Classic WOW story above.

Thank you for this.

European World of Warcraft launch in 2005. It released on a Friday and I didn't go to school that day just so I could play it. Did the same on Monday and Tuesday. Some of my friends stayed home the entire week.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Metal Gear Solid 2 for sure.

Not sure if my hype for RE4 was anywhere near that but no other game bombed me anyway this much despite the hype. Imported the US version and hence payed quite a lot for it and then finished it 3-4 times in a row without even wanting to play anything else. Good times.
I think I played the Tanker demo for about 15 hours alone. Did you go for dogtags in subsequent runs?

Troglodyte

Banned
Bloodborne was my hypest game and it lived upto it. Throw dark souls 3 in there too.

Dark souls 2 was my hypest game that was a letdown

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Hype everyday it’s about being hype it’s all about hype a lot of people talk about hype at launch but every other time there’s hype also. Death Stranding, Valhalla etc. all HYPE.

ambo

Neo Member
Probably Skyrim. Was a huge fan of Oblivion and took time off work for day one of Skyrim. Wasn’t disappointed. No regrets.

Tschumi

I'll add mgs3 to my earlier stated titles.. after the beauty of mgs2 i was super charged by those gorgeous teaser screenshots of snake shooting from a river and stuff...

.. also age of empires 3, it had teaser screens that looked like poetry... Colossal downgrade and letdown in the campaign department, but still, incredible hype

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't think I've ever bought a game based on hype. When I first started buying games all you had to go on was the box art until you got a magazine review a month after release. So I've always waited until there was real info before I buy.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I finally registered here to discuss all the upcoming Atlus releases, including Persona 5 (coming winter 2014).

I was here for that and The Last Guardian. Don't distinctly remember following anything else that closely.

Tschumi

That sounds absolutely fantastic, just sayin'..

---

Semi related, but i was really high on a fresh private TBC server midway through last year.. i burned out in outlands when xp went from 2x to blizzlike (they later changed that but i was a lost cause) now i won't go back because the fresh server energy will have just turned to progression raid min-maxing~

But i was all over their discord, shopped around guilds.. funny thing, i was going to roll horde, and was slated to join a horde guild, but in the end i lost my nerve and went with what I'm familiar with, rolling ally... Anyway a week or so later i was in azshara and i ran into the leader of that horde guild, the guy i had been talking to, killing the same random (rarely killed during fresh server rush) quest mobs at the same time and same level~ we did some intra-faction pve and had a good chat on disc~

DonF

Destiny 1, for sure.
Me and a couple of friends played halo a lot, and when the next gen came, we all decided to get a ps4.
Our surprise was huge when bungie not only decided to launch a multi platform game, but Sony had struck a deal for exclusive content. We played the alpha and beta and loved the pvp. Liked the pve, but freaking loved the pvp. Felt like a refined next gen halo.
We all got the deluxe digital version, the one that included the first 2 pieces of dlc. We waited the unlocking countdown on the ps4 dashboard. The game unlocked at 4 am for us and we played until 9 am or something. Slept and continue playing. We finished the main story that very day and we were all surprised ..."that was it??" Ok. We played the pvp like nuts, but the promises of a great differentiator in pvp were non existent and it was kinda expected. You can't have a balanced pvp if the more advanced story weapons are better and dominate, right? I remember videos at the time, of people destroying the pvp with the very first gun the game gives you. It didn't make sense. But, along came the first raid and the raid weapon owned in pvp. So the game got stale quite fast. I was the only one playing in my group after a month.

Arsic

Gold Member
Final Fantasy X strangely enough. Got a demo from a gaming magazine, and as a little kid said "Im going to beat this demo once every day until the game releases."

Which I did.

Tried to consume as much media as I could for the game until release and was totally turnt up on release day.

Loved the game from start to finish, but to this day have only completed it once and it doesn't even make my FF top 5 list lmao.

Daffy Duck

Original Half Life. I couldn’t believe what I was reading in PC Gamer, pouring over the screenshots and articles I couldn’t believe we were going to get a game like that, then I watched the video that came on a CD and I was blown away, I must’ve watched it over 100 times taking in every detail.

I could t believe you shot people and the blood spattered over the wall behind them, and then watching the way the enemy soldier moved around you and acted...blew me away and it delivered on every thing I built it up as in my head.

Another was GTA IV, first midnight launch I attended and that really felt like an event.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Monster Hunter World, Guilty Gear Xrd, and Bloodborne were my biggest three this generation, as far as diving headfirst into the hype. All three paid off for me, personally.

Kev Kev

FF7 remake
MGSV

I loved both games, but I think my overhyping of them hindered my enjoyment a bit. Had they stealth dropped and I played them knowing nothing, I honestly believe they would have been even better experiences.

After FF7R, I promised to stop doing that. I’ll check out a trailer or two and that’s it. Might not even do that tbh. Gonna be soooo hard to not nerd out on all the FF7R part 2 details 😩

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

Super Smash Bros Brawl announcement blew me the fuck away at 15, music by Uematsu and that Snake reveal at the end was revolutionary. These days an unusual character being put in Smash is par for course. Then you had the Smash Bros Dojo of drip feeding the fans on the daily with updates, from game design updates to all new characters so casually dropped on the blog. I remember losing my fucking mind at Pokemon Trainer and couldn't believe it. I checked that website daily and in the end Brawl was just "Okay" Smash 4 was better and I haven't even played Ultimate.

Before Jojo became absolute normiecore that has people flooding any YouTube comments sharing a song name with a stand reference this was announced along with the Jojo anime for the 25th anniversary of the series. Man, I was fucking HYPED off seeing Gyro and I had so much anticipation for my favourites to appear, Foo Fighters, Narancia, Annasui, Old Joseph even someone like Sandman I was hoping for. In the end we got a mediocre 3D arena fighter which made the more interesting portion of the playable cast DLC and a predatory online service to gain all the costumes. I 100% that and was it worth it? Nah.

DubReno

Very recently? Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition/Vergil DLC hype. I wasn't going to buy a console for what was coming to PC in a month, so the month of waiting after DMC5SE's release was painful since it showed how good he actually was, so everyone knew it was worth waiting for. That just made the wait even more painful but... the day Vergil graced my life, was the greatest day of my life... For Vergil? It was (literally) Tuesday.

For me it was the initial DMC5 release. After waiting so long since DMC4 and having that trailer debut at the microsoft press conference, hearing "They're demons! Redgrave is completely taken over!" over the Capcom logo gave me serious fucking goosebumps. Probably the happiest video games has made me next to the FF7 remake reveal and wait.

Plus that fuckin logo for DMC5 is awesome.

Griffon

So many:

Every new version of SF2 was hyped beyond belief (for what amounts to small DLCs sold as full price games).

The playstation hype of 3D gaming was insane, Wipeout was everywhere.
The FF7 hype was big in my household, we were already JRPG fans. The game was so damn great and mind blowing all around.

The N64 and Mario 64 hype was through the roof and it delivered so damn well. It was a revolution, 3d action with full 360 controls and camera, and the quality of the real time graphics were insane.
The Ocarina of Time hype was fucking huge too, this game looks and gameplay were 10 years in advance of anything else. And it showed.

The PS2 and MGS2, everybody bought Zone of the Enders to play the demo. And then the game itself and the switcheroo twist. Good times.

So many to recount. But then later on hype became less reliable, like FFVersus and FF13 which ended up being huge disappointments. MGS4 was meh. The PS3 was a huge POS in almost every way but I bought it anyways. Nintendo lost the plot for many years with Zelda (until finally BotW gets things back on track) and the whole Revolution/Wii hype got us fucked up results (up until they finally got their act together with the Switch).

Thankfully From Software gave us Souls and practically saved gaming from the global casual trends of that era. Other games began to get harder again, less dumbed down, and every Souls sequel was amazing. Bloodborne hyped me the fuck out and I bought a PS4 just to play it. Not a single regret.
Every major From release automatically gets my money, no question asked.

Top Bottom