• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter's Arena: Legends / Naraka: Bladepoint - Fighting game (Powerstone?) fans who hate battle royale, what now?

Hunter's Arena: Legends is coming to PS4 and PS5 early next month, and will premiere on PS Plus for both consoles.

Naraka: Bladepoint is coming to PC later this year.

And after posting this thread, I later found this game which also seems to be a melee combat battle royale.

While the gameplay will likely be quite different, I used Powerstone as a memorable example of a competitive fighting game that allows for more than two players to fight each other at once. Regardless, it seems BR is moving away from being only about shooting people. For those who generally hate battle royale games, but happen to enjoy fighting games, I have to wonder where that leaves you.

As a fighting game fan, do you have any interest in the genre as a battle royale? Do you think the highly competitive nature of the fighting game community will be a good mix for a battle royale, or do you think this will interest fans of battle royale games more than fighting games? Either way, it will be interesting to watch these two games, and see which one of them does the better job of mixing two very different genres.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Personally, I don't think crossing Battle Royale with fighting games is a great fit. The BR genre excels when it prioritizes logistics and gives players a multitude of playstyles/choice. I'm not seeing those values present here.

That being said, I don't get the appeal of fighting games so maybe these will find an audience.

MiguelItUp

If they pulled it off for Pac-Man, Tetris and Super Mario Bros, why not here?
Wholeheartedly agree, and TBH it makes more sense to me in fighting-like games than those. I feel like that says a lot.

I'm not even a fan of BR games, but I won't knock anything until I see it in action. Especially when majority of gaming these days just feels like blatant rip offs of one another.

Salz01

I’m personally keeping an eye out for both of them. Will play them both. Just hope they are good.

kunonabi

Could work. Battle Royals need to be about stuff other than just shooting guns at this point. There are a lot cool things you could with the premise once you get away from doing the bare minimum.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Definitely like the premise more than the PUBG clones. I'm interested in Hunter's Arena for console. We will see how it turns out.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'll give it a shot, but like all BR before it, I'm not expecting to stick around long.

The name is awful though. It's on the same level as Immortal Fenyx Rising and sounds like your typical mobile game.

I found a third game doing the same thing that seems to be a spin off of Black Desert Online. I've added it to the first post.

Aion002

I didn't knew about this Hunters Arena... Seems cooI! I will definitely try it out.

I hope that there are a lot of "builds" and that the game is balanced, it seems to take some things from Souls games, which appears to be awesome... As someone that is not a big fan of BR games, I am hoping for the best!

VN1X

Banned
Hunters Arena is dead mate.

9wf00xB.png

EDIT:
I didn't knew about this Hunters Arena... Seems cooI! I will definitely try it out.
Oh sweet summer child

Last edited:
If they pulled it off for Pac-Man, Tetris and Super Mario Bros, why not here?
I don't really think of those as actual battle royale games, though. If you aren't all sharing the same space, I don't consider that to be a real battle royale.

Hunters Arena is dead mate.

9wf00xB.png

EDIT:

Oh sweet summer child

Why anyone would release a new multiplayer game IP that isn't free to play these days is beyond me. But yeah, if the game takes off and finds some level of success, it'll be on PS Plus and not Steam.

Last edited:

It would seem that Sony has paid for a year of console exclusivity, which you can see at the end of the latest trailer. That seems like a fairly unexpected choice, doesn't it?

crozier

It’s not very good. The controls are weird, the graphics are awful, and the combat is clunky. Worst of all, it takes a few minutes minimum to get into a game.

Top Bottom