• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble Bundle creator brings antitrust lawsuit against Valve over Steam

Kataploom

Gold Member
Is there a witch hunt against privately owned companies like Valve? Or those that are predominantly owned by a person in which external influence basically null? I've been having that notion...

Guilty_AI

Is there a witch hunt against privately owned companies like Valve? Or those that are predominantly owned by a person in which external influence basically null? I've been having that notion...
Its probably because pc gaming became a very profitable market in recent years and valve is basically dominating in it. Others also want a piece of the pie but can't break through steam's massive popularity.
And its no wonder they can't seeing as the service these others offer are usually subpar in quality, Humble store itself for example lacks several currencies and proper regional pricing.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Its probably because pc gaming became a very profitable market in recent years and valve is basically dominating in it. Others also want a piece of the pie but can't break through steam's massive popularity.
And its no wonder they can't seeing as the service these others offer are usually subpar in quality, Humble store itself for example lacks several currencies and proper regional pricing.
I think it mostly has to do with Steam being so hermetic... if they want to get in and get a share of that, they can't if Valve execs don't allow it because they're the owners, the company is not public, also, I also think some political interests can't control it for their purpose for the same reason... I think it could go along those lines...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

No its more about the question of where massive network effects give an outlet such a dominant position it approaches a monopoly. With that level of influence comes a lot of scrutiny, and criticism from those who feel that their businesses are being held back by the presence of a basically "untouchable" competitor.

Top Bottom