• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hugh Jackman on ‘Logan’ Spoilers, His ‘Apocalypse’ Cameo, a Wolverine Reboot and More

Interview link.

One quote from it:

The X-Men property is extremely valuable to Fox, and they’re embarking on all of these other chapters now, and the odds are in the future Wolverine will be rebooted with a different actor. As a fan of the character and the franchise, arguably maybe the expert on the character, what would you like to see out of that if and when it happens?

JACKMAN: I think one thing we’ve learned: when X-Men started, it was pretty revolutionary. Like the comic book itself, I think there was an element of breaking conventions, of opening up in the concentration camp with a character, was not what people expected. I think X-Men has always been about asking questions, challenging norms and asking what’s going on. I’m not saying we’ve done that always, but I definitely think the spirit of Logan is in a way a reboot of that desire to keep taking risks and to ask more difficult questions, and to go deeper within the characters. In an irreverent way, it’s exactly what Deadpool did too. I think it’s endemic to the character. I think for me, it would make sense to go younger with Logan. I think it would be very difficult – however, there’s a female 11-year-old who could absolutely frickin’ nail it, for my money.

She is fantastic. She’s so good.

JACKMAN: So good. I was 30 when I got the part, so I think it would be wide open to interpretation. I think it could be anything. You could go any color, any race, anything. If you look at all the drawings and all the different interpretations from different artists over the years, I think it’s completely open. I think audiences will buy it.

Full interview at the link.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Whenever I read a Hugh Jackman interview, I'm always just dying to read him finally give his frank, honest opinion about X-Men Origins: Wolverine. That movie seems to haunt him in some quiet, unspoken way...but he's just too damn polite to criticise it outside of a couple of vague references concerning past mistakes the studio made with the character.

Magwik

Banned
James has confirmed that shot of Logan holding Laura’s hand, which is crushing, is straight from Yukio’s premonition in The Wolverine. How did that connection come about?
Woah

D i Z

I could see Laura returning. Not sure about the state of the rest of the X-verse. But I'd sign up for a New Wolverine.

Sephzilla

James has confirmed that shot of Logan holding Laura's hand, which is crushing, is straight from Yukio's premonition in The Wolverine

KnBhEng.gif

Ashhong

Man, no video? Love watching Hugh talk about Wolverine. Now I have to do an Aussie accent in my head as I do read it

Doing Logan was a bold move and it paid off. Doing a movie with Laura as the central figure as a kid wandering through the world with these powers she doesn't fully grasp and this tragic loss she has incurred would be significantly more bold and I think it could pay off even greater if they do it right.

They better not recast Dafne Keen. I want her to get her own series of X-23 films in a few years, when she'll be old enough. In the meantime, between Deadpool, New Mutants, X-Men and probably X-Force, we don't need a new Wolverine any time soon. Let that character rest for a while.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Hugh Jackman seems like a genuinely delightful guy. That was a great interview, and as someone who has never been a fan of Wolverine (in the comics; I don't hate him, mind you, but he was never a favorite, not like Flash, or Spidey, or Green Lantern for example), and the hype around the character, seeing Jackman bring the character to life in such a fantastic way made me appreciate the Wolverine character a lot lore. I admit I was annoyed that Jackman was too tall and handsome to be Logan, but he nailed the portrayal.

Logan was an amazing, beautiful movie. Me and my wife saw it during one of its last weeks in the theater and loved it. This interview actually reminded me that it was out on Blu Ray, so I bought it. Looking forward to seeing it again.

I hate to see Hugh leave the character, but what a note to end his stint on. I'd feel like another movie with him as Logan runs the risk of just not being as powerful or good as this. End with audiences wanting more. This is the portrayal of Wolverine they'll be talking about for ages.

kai3345

Banned
it's such a bummer about how much this movie falls apart in the second half, especially when the first half is so amazing. dark wolverine was so corny and lame

The Kree

Banned
Days of Future Past was brilliant. X1, X2 and First Class are also extremely well regarded.

What is this nonsense?

We got one good Wolverine movie, one watchable Deadpool movie, and zero good X-Men movies.

I'm not gonna call your post nonsense. I'm above that.

kai3345

Banned
We got one good Wolverine movie, one watchable Deadpool movie, and zero good X-Men movies.

I'm not gonna call your post nonsense. I'm above that.

dog are you really trying to say that deadpool was a better movie than X2 or DoFP? deadpool was ass my dude

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
James has confirmed that shot of Logan holding Laura’s hand, which is crushing, is straight from Yukio’s premonition in The Wolverine. How did that connection come about?

Woah

This is such a strange retcon. He fulfulled the prophecy in wolverine when he performed surgery on himself and literally died on the table holding his own heart.

Furyous

An X-23 movie would not go over well with middle America. A
young clone of Wolverine with her full backstory which they can use since it's an alternative version
is a hard sell and violent as shit. Especially,
her days a young prostitute in New Orleans or her time as a hitman in the program

LOGAN put them in a creative bind anyway as that's hard to craft your way out of.

Prompto

Banned
First Class barely cracks the top 5 X-Men films for me. People only seem to remember the Fassbender/McAvoy parts of it and not everything else. Logan, Deadpool, DoFP, and X2 are all better than it.

It also gave us one of the most laughable closing shots in any superhero film:

aliengmr

An X-23 movie would not go over well with middle America. A
young clone of Wolverine with her full backstory which they can use since it's an alternative version
is a hard sell and violent as shit. Especially,
her days a young prostitute in New Orleans or her time as a hitman in the program

LOGAN put them in a creative bind anyway as that's hard to craft your way out of.

Ummmm...what? That's an awfully big brush you are using to paint a huge part of a country.

If they go ahead with x23 in a few years. And I think they should. As part of an ensemble or something. I'd rather they not go ahead with the young prostitute backstory lol. To hell with that

This is such a strange retcon. He fulfulled the prophecy in wolverine when he performed surgery on himself and literally died on the table holding his own heart.

Seriously. That part was meant for that film. I absolutely do no for a second believe that they meant it for Logan. It just happens to fit well. Pure coincidence.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Thats exactly what they wanted you to think years ago.

Ithil

But this wasn't shot in black and white?

No it wasn't, which means it definitely can't just be flipped to a black and white filter. The director even noted the B&W version took a while to make as they had to completely re-grade the colour, timing etc to maximize the black and white look.

Matsukaze

JACKMAN: So good. I was 30 when I got the part, so I think it would be wide open to interpretation. I think it could be anything. You could go any color, any race, anything. If you look at all the drawings and all the different interpretations from different artists over the years, I think it’s completely open. I think audiences will buy it.
I absolutely love this response. Jackman's a good guy.

Top Bottom