• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Nintendo Switch Rumor Reportedly Reveals 17 Upcoming Games

nerdface

Banned
I have too much to play already, but who’s complaining. I’d buy a few things on that list fo sho.

A portable Timesplitters with gyro aiming sounds too good to be true though. 😢

Meesh

If true, I hope it is ocarina and not mm. Mm was garbage.
CB6rW3f.gif
CB6rW3f.gif

Mr Hyde

Dark Souls 2 and Tales of Destiny 2 on Switch would be so good, especially ToD 2, it needs a proper re-release.

Bragr

Banned
Nintendo puts money on niche games all the time but they drop them if they become TOO niche to focus on something else.or they don't have the resources to make them(F Zero was made by a SEGA team and Nintendo will never stop Mario Kart to make more of them)

Some of their now highest selling games started as cult hits at best Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, their other projects like Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2/3 Astral Chain.then they got DEADLY PREMONITION 2 exclusive to Switch. 😳

Now recently they are releasing those Famicom(?) Detective novels.
Nintendo doesn't need to stop making Mario Kart to make F-Zero though, and F-Zero only had one game made by Sega. Generally, it's a true and true Nintendo franchise.

Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Astral Chain, that's all Platinum Games. Technically, the makers of Earthbound ain't Nintendo per se, but they are so tied to them it's not far off. Truth is, I have no idea how the budgeting works and who would pay for what, but I assume Earthbound 2 would have to come from Nintendo, where the Platinum Games are not funded by Nintendo.

Earthbound sold around 400k-500k copies, which is as far as I know, in the ballpark of a profitable SNES game, depending on the marketing budget. Games like Fire Emblem are more intrinsically tied to Nintendo than Earthbound, it goes far back and is a Nintendo RPG staple, so it's not niche in the same way and has multiple uses for Nintendo (it works as a handheld title for example). Earthbound is a fan favorite that Nintendo doesn't trust to sell over 2 million, so they consider it too niche and stay away from it.

Animagic

Banned

A huge Nintendo Switch leak has reportedly revealed 17 upcoming games. Whether any or all of these games will end up releasing on Switch and Switch Lite, remains to be seen, but some of the titles have now been thrown around by several rumors, reports, and leaks. This doesn't necessarily add weight to this new report, but it does suggest there's some truth to some individual claims. If the report is wholly accurate, it's one of the biggest Nintendo leaks in years.

The report begins by claiming the following four games are getting ports/remasters that will hit Switch and Switch Lite: Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, Dark Souls 2 Remastered, Tales of Destiny 2, and a nostalgic Zelda game (likely Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask). Adding to this list of titles, the report mentions the following games with the caveat that these may not be ports or remasters, but remakes: Fossil Fighters, TimeSplitters, a Sonic game, and a Virtual Boy title.

The report doesn't stop there, but rather shifts gears to brand new games, mentioning the following will release between this year and next: a new Mario Strikers, a new Wario Ware, a Metroid 2D side-scroller, a Sonic Spin-Off, and a new Radiant Historia.

Capping all of this, the report mentions three games it claims should be taken with an extra grain of salt: an Earthbound reboot, a Mii game similar to Guitar Hero, and more Ring Fit Adventure.

All of this comes the way of "Eclipse" over on Twitter, though right now it's unclear if any of this is original are just the user taking a megaphone to recent rumors. In other words, take all of this with a grain of salt. While I've heard a few things about a few of these games, I've heard next to nothing about even more in this report.
Timesplitters remake sounds glorious and it honestly sounds too good to be true

Hugare

Switch: the ports machine

Not complaining, having all my favorite games on the go is awesome.
Having portable Deadly Premonition is something out of my dreams.

Earthbound remake is 100% fake

Astral Dog

Nintendo doesn't need to stop making Mario Kart to make F-Zero though, and F-Zero only had one game made by Sega. Generally, it's a true and true Nintendo franchise.

Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Astral Chain, that's all Platinum Games. Technically, the makers of Earthbound ain't Nintendo per se, but they are so tied to them it's not far off. Truth is, I have no idea how the budgeting works and who would pay for what, but I assume Earthbound 2 would have to come from Nintendo, where the Platinum Games are not funded by Nintendo.

Earthbound sold around 400k-500k copies, which is as far as I know, in the ballpark of a profitable SNES game, depending on the marketing budget. Games like Fire Emblem are more intrinsically tied to Nintendo than Earthbound, it goes far back and is a Nintendo RPG staple, so it's not niche in the same way and has multiple uses for Nintendo (it works as a handheld title for example). Earthbound is a fan favorite that Nintendo doesn't trust to sell over 2 million, so they consider it too niche and stay away from it.
Wrong the Platinum games are 100% funded by Nintendo dude, they aren't third party.

Making a modern F zero would take resources from Mario Kart no doubt, if they were to make it one day it wouldn't be a cheap racer

Last edited:

Shut0wen

A huge Nintendo Switch leak has reportedly revealed 17 upcoming games. Whether any or all of these games will end up releasing on Switch and Switch Lite, remains to be seen, but some of the titles have now been thrown around by several rumors, reports, and leaks. This doesn't necessarily add weight to this new report, but it does suggest there's some truth to some individual claims. If the report is wholly accurate, it's one of the biggest Nintendo leaks in years.

The report begins by claiming the following four games are getting ports/remasters that will hit Switch and Switch Lite: Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, Dark Souls 2 Remastered, Tales of Destiny 2, and a nostalgic Zelda game (likely Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask). Adding to this list of titles, the report mentions the following games with the caveat that these may not be ports or remasters, but remakes: Fossil Fighters, TimeSplitters, a Sonic game, and a Virtual Boy title.

The report doesn't stop there, but rather shifts gears to brand new games, mentioning the following will release between this year and next: a new Mario Strikers, a new Wario Ware, a Metroid 2D side-scroller, a Sonic Spin-Off, and a new Radiant Historia.

Capping all of this, the report mentions three games it claims should be taken with an extra grain of salt: an Earthbound reboot, a Mii game similar to Guitar Hero, and more Ring Fit Adventure.

All of this comes the way of "Eclipse" over on Twitter, though right now it's unclear if any of this is original are just the user taking a megaphone to recent rumors. In other words, take all of this with a grain of salt. While I've heard a few things about a few of these games, I've heard next to nothing about even more in this report.
I really hope the 2d metroid rumour is true, either a remake of the third game (like how the 3ds version was a remake of the 2nd game) a complete new one im not arsed, also hyped to finish OOT for a 4th time lmao i hate nintendo for doing this shit cause i lap it up

Bragr

Banned
Wrong the Platinum games are 100% funded by Nintendo dude, they aren't third party.

Making a modern F zero would take resources from Mario Kart no doubt, if they were to make it one day it wouldn't be a cheap racer
That's partly true, Bayonetta 1 was not funded by Nintendo, only part of Bayonetta 2 was. Where did you hear that Nintendo funded Astral Chain? I thought it was a joint venture? wasn't that the case for Wonderful 101 too?

These are new IPs though and don't prove anything about Nintendo's willingness to support niche games. We don't know if they will become niche franchises or not until we see how people latch to it. Wonderful 101 is actually a good example, since it sold poorly, Nintendo seemed to have washed their hands of it and Platinum went to Kickstarter with it.

I remember Nintendo talking about how they only fund games they believe will ship 2-3 million. You will find some exemptions of course, but I generally think the point still stands, that Nintendo ain't a company for niche games.

Astral Dog

That's partly true, Bayonetta 1 was not funded by Nintendo, only part of Bayonetta 2 was. Where did you hear that Nintendo funded Astral Chain? I thought it was a joint venture? wasn't that the case for Wonderful 101 too?

These are new IPs though and don't prove anything about Nintendo's willingness to support niche games. We don't know if they will become niche franchises or not until we see how people latch to it. Wonderful 101 is actually a good example, since it sold poorly, Nintendo seemed to have washed their hands of it and Platinum went to Kickstarter with it.

I remember Nintendo talking about how they only fund games they believe will ship 2-3 million. You will find some exemptions of course, but I generally think the point still stands, that Nintendo ain't a company for niche games.
Astral Chain and Wonderful 101 are 100% funded Nintendo ips, Bayo 2 was partly funded(but its fully exclusive until Nintendo says otherwise, like W101) Bayo 3 is 100% funded by Nintendo. (supposedly it will be released one day!)

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Remaking Virtual Boy games?

I don’t believe, nor do I want to.
nothing would be wrong with a collection of the dozen or so nintendo virtual boy games, there are a few good games that would definitely be improved by no longer burning your eyes out to play, plus I think there is a good game in red alarm if it replaced the at time baffling wireframes with filled polygons and added analog controls

Woopah

Probably not, but gaming news is so non existent because covid, publishers typically being dead silent, and the amount of unecessary secrecy in this industry, that web sites will take any grain that can grasp, even if its from clout chasing rando’s on era, twitter, and 4-chan.
Nintendo had a Direct in February and has another in June so I think the Covid effect on their marketing is over (the effect on their development is probably ongoing).
They can't really do worst than their last two showings can they.
E3 2019 was a pretty good showing no?
second party?
As long as Nintendo publishes it it's first party, they don't really use the term 2nd party.

yurinka

It's just a random Twitter account listing 17 games. These fake list always list names of known IPs, notice they never mention a name of a new IP. I can write a longer fake list of fake upcoming games.

cragarmi

The chance of somebody knowing about so many titles development prior to reveal are slim to none, unless it's come from Bowser himself! 😂. Credibility = 0%

The list is horrible.

As a Switch owner I really hope this list isn't true.

Hardly anything I'm interested in, maybe even nothing.

Once again, I expect little and I'm disappointed anyway.

Bragr

Banned
Astral Chain and Wonderful 101 are 100% funded Nintendo ips, Bayo 2 was partly funded(but its fully exclusive until Nintendo says otherwise, like W101) Bayo 3 is 100% funded by Nintendo. (supposedly it will be released one day!)
Where did you find out Astral and 101 was funded by Nintendo? I must have missed this.

Astral Dog

Where did you find out Astral and 101 was funded by Nintendo? I must have missed this.
Its been clear since the release but here is a thread that clarifies it

Wonderful 101 is as well, Platinum had to ask Nintendo to publish it to other systems and they agreed. But the money for development was always given by Nintendo (fun fact Wonderful 101 Remastered is the first published Platinum game with kickstarter, and the upcoming Kamiya superhero game will be the first one made with their own money, any game made before was funded and owned by external publishers)

Last edited:

DonF

Yeah, but I think all 3 have a bad drought. Sony ain’t got much outside of ratchet and clank and Microsoft got halo infinite late in the year.
Nintendo is the worst offender of the 3 to me. My switch has been gathering dust since mario odyssey, it's just a smash ultimate machine.

Chukhopops

How does it make sense to remaster Dark Souls 2 when Scholar of the first sin exists already? It’s not like a Switch version would look better than it.

Im happy for more people to play this version (which is fantastic) but I don’t believe it.

Bragr

Banned
Its been clear since the release but here is a thread that clarifies it

Wonderful 101 is as well, Platinum had to ask Nintendo to publish it to other systems and they agreed. But the money for development was always given by Nintendo (fun fact Wonderful 101 Remastered is the first published Platinum game with kickstarter, and the upcoming Kamiya superhero game will be the first one made with their own money, any game made before was funded and owned by external publishers)
I don't see anything about funding there though, only who currently owns the IP. I always thought Nintendo only partly funded those games.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Will see. Nintendo has has a really bad drought, they need this.

Can we please go one Nintendo generation without a re-release of Ocarina of Time ? It's a great game that I have now beaten on N64, gamecube, Wii, Wii U and 3DS. I can live without it on Switch. I'd rather have a Link to the past remake in the Link's Awakening engine 🤷‍♂️
The last time they "released" ocarina of time was exactly a decade ago. If you're talking about the eshop original versions that's like saying stop releasing super mario world.

Ezquimacore

Banned
i hope th Zelda rumor to not become true. that would mean BOTW2 delay
I don't want to hurt you but botw 2 will launch with the switch pro in March 2022 and ocarina of time with better graphics will be the zelda game this holiday season, I just feel it. There's even a new trademark.

Rodolink

I don't want to hurt you but botw 2 will launch with the switch pro in March 2022 and ocarina of time with better graphics will be the zelda game this holiday season, I just feel it. There's even a new trademark.
unlikely they release 3 zeldas in this short amount of time. If they launch a remaster/remake on the holidays most probably BotW2 will be delayed until end of 2022.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I give for sure that Nintendo has a lot of things they haven't been able to reveal due to delays and COVID but this list seems a little too unrealistic, but knowing them, this is mostly or totally false and yet we'll have something that will blow our minds

Astral Dog

I don't see anything about funding there though, only who currently owns the IP. I always thought Nintendo only partly funded those games.
They own the ip because they created it with Platinum Games, Nintendo suggested the futuristic theme for Astral Chain with cops, (from an interview) and Wonderful 101 was supposed to feature Nintendo characters at first(its on Wikipedia) but those games wouldn't have been made without Nintendo

Woopah

Nintendo is the worst offender of the 3 to me. My switch has been gathering dust since mario odyssey, it's just a smash ultimate machine.
2020 was a big drought but 2021 has quite a few releases (though as always it depends on your taste.)
Nintendo paid Platinum to make the game, in the same way they pay Camelot to make Mario Golf or paid MercurySteam to make Samus Returns.

Bragr

Banned
Unless stated, isn't it obvious though that the IP owners would fund their games themselves?
Well, not really, many games are funded by several parties, and with games like this where you have a third-party developer making a game for a Nintendo console, it's not unusual for Nintendo to make deals where they retain the IP. If I had to guess, Nintendo funded a part of the game and took the IP, and various investors covered the rest.

Bragr

Banned
Nintendo paid Platinum to make the game, in the same way they pay Camelot to make Mario Golf or paid MercurySteam to make Samus Returns.
Where can I see that info? I can't find it.

Nintendo will hire developers to make Nintendo games all the time, like Mario Golf where they oversee the project, but I can't recall Nintendo funding developers making new IPs that are not Nintendo franchises.

Woopah

Where can I see that info? I can't find it.

Nintendo will hire developers to make Nintendo games all the time, like Mario Golf where they oversee the project, but I can't recall Nintendo funding developers making new IPs that are not Nintendo franchises.
But Astral Chain is a Nintendo franchise. Nintendo worked with Platinum Games in the same way they work with HAL or Intelligent Systems or any of their external partners (with oversight from EPD).

Yes usually they work on existing IP, but they do work with external partners on new IP fairly regularly (for example, with Grezzo on Ever Oasis or Intelligent Systems on Codename Steam).

As the publisher Nintendo gets the money from the game, they will then give some of that money to Platinum.

Top Bottom