• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's your power bill after getting the PS5/XSX consoles?

Pantz

Past couple months since getting PS5 and XSX my power bill has gone wayyyyy up.

It is winter time here so we're using electric heaters but it seems like our bills are way more than last year.

I got my XSX and PS5 both in instant-on modes with no power saving options on. I'm wondering if I'm the cultrate for raising out power bill so much or if it's just a coincidence and we have a water leak or something.

So how are you fairing with your new consoles and power bills? Any noticeable changes?

Hostile_18

Banned
Hard to tell with mine as it always goes sky high in winter (all electric). The summer months will be the most telling. Plus don't forget were all in alot more than we use to be. 😊

xrnzaaas

It's a console, it still uses less power than a desktop gaming PC. Here are some nice results and comparisons for the PS5 - https://www.thehomehacksdiy.com/how-much-electricity-power-does-a-ps5-use/

And I don't want to seem rude but if you can afford to own both consoles you really shouldn't be worried about your power bills. ;) I don't use electric heating, but that's probably your culprit. For me the only noticeable difference in power bills was when we got rid of an ancient fridge 10+ years ago. That thing was a power hog.

Last edited:

Pantz

How much is your power bill? What was it like before your console purchases?

Ok I see on the bills they show last year's price. It went up about $40 for November and I think breaking the $500 mark is what has everyone here shook. December was lower but still around $10 more than last year. So I guess it's not as bad as I thought and this year is pretty different with people here staying home more cuz of Covid. Still I'm going to try and remember to put them into standby more when I get distracted doing other stuff. It's possible it was just colder this year than last year for November.

It's a console, it still uses less power than a desktop gaming PC. Here are some nice results and comparisons for the PS5 - https://www.thehomehacksdiy.com/how-much-electricity-power-does-a-ps5-use/

And I don't want to seem rude but if you can afford to own both consoles you really shouldn't be worried about your power bills. ;) I don't use electric heating, but that's probably your culprit. For me the only noticeable difference in power bills was when we got rid of an ancient fridge 10+ years ago. That thing was a power hog.

Thanks this sets me more at ease about the consoles.

Ok I see on the bills they show last year's price. It went up about $40 for November and I think breaking the $500 mark is what has everyone here shook. December was lower but still around $10 more than last year. So I guess it's not as bad as I thought and this year is pretty different with people here staying home more cuz of Covid. Still I'm going to try and remember to put them into standby more when I get distracted doing other stuff. It's possible it was just colder this year than last year for November.

Thanks this sets me more at ease about the consoles.

Your electric bill is $500? How big is your place? Are you running a Bitcoin farm?

I have a 3000 sq ft house with an electric stove and oven and the highest my bill has ever been is a little over $200 in the summer with a 30 year old AC unit.

Pantz

Your electric bill is $500? How big is your place? Are you running a Bitcoin farm?

I have a 3000 sq ft house with an electric stove and oven and the highest my bill has ever been is a little over $200 in the summer with a 30 year old AC unit.
:messenger_downcast_sweat: 4 people here and 1 of them in an outdoor building which I think uses more than their fair share with 2 refrigerators (one to keep all their beer). It's usually nearer to $200 some in the summer for us.

:messenger_downcast_sweat: 4 people here and 1 of them in an outdoor building which I think uses more than their fair share with 2 refrigerators (one to keep all their beer). It's usually nearer to $200 some in the summer for us.

That sucks man. My furnace is natural gas so that probably saves money. My kids are also too young to really use a lot of electricity.

TLZ

Banned
I have my PS5 in rest mode and SX I'm energy saving mode. Funny enough, my Bill's lower, and this is with the AC on.

As for SX in energy saving mode, it still boots up in like 5 secs and resume mode still works. So I see no reason for instant on. Maybe your SX instant on is the culprit?

John Day

Honestly not a significant rise. For me is easy to note since i live alone in my house, and pretty much always pay around the same monthly.

It is winter time here so we're using electric heaters but it seems like our bills are way more than last year.
How is the weather compare to last year where you are?

Also, the heat generated by the consoles would not have to be generated by your heaters... it should not have any effect in the winter, but in the summer the AC would have to work a bit harder too.

Anyway, if you have power saving options enabled on the consoles they should be using so little energy most of the time, it really doesn't matter (the PS5 can do all it's updates and download while 'asleep' so there is no point in disabling them).

I don't see how it would make a significant difference, it's not like you went from nothing before too (the old consoles did consume energy too).

cd_jakevas

No changes on my end.

I am curious how hot the PS5 will get during the summer here in Texas

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mines comparable to last year. According to this article the instant on feature may eat up an additional $10 over the course of a year.

A power draw in the single digit watt range may not sound like much, but it can add up when millions of systems are left plugged in and idling for years at a time. For a single console, that 9W of additional "instant on" power draw can add up to about 78 kWh in a year, or roughly $10.60 in energy costs for an average US home (going by the October 2020 EIA average of 13.6 cents/kWh).

Rawdirt

Neo Member
I run Netflix, Hulu etc about 70% of the time of Series X. I kinda feel like thats overkill power for streaming, when a firebox could do the same. But I did read Series X and PS5 use less power than One and PS4 for streaming.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Barely, my xsx replaced my xb1 and I replaced a tv.
Like others mentioned, an electric heater will draw much more power.

LOLCats

Banned
instant on is seemingly a waste when they boot in 10 seconds or whatever. hdmi takes longer to switch on my tv.

DESTROYA

Do you leave the lights on 24-7?
I don’t even pay half that in the northeast in the middle of winter.
Might want to look into insulating your home/Windows

I got both also and my bill was the same until it got colder here in ATL over the last month....wife been burning the shit out of the heater lol

Keihart

Seriously? unless you are playing all day or the consoles have some busted up rest mode, i can't see them consuming much....i mean, how much watt per hour are these things? 200 on full load? that's fucking pennies copared to a couple of tvs or a PC.

Lone Wolf

we replaced 2 One X consoles with a Series X and a Series S. Daughter got one of the X consoles to replace her One S. Haven’t noticed any real change In our billing.

Zero change in electric bills with my XSX or my PS5.

Though with the loud coil whine and disk drive noise from my PS5, I may be having to run some background noise. Maybe that will raise my electric bill?

If you have to choose between heating your home and playing on next gen while freezing to death, you probably shouldnt be playing on next gen. it’s for ballers and chads, not peasants living in cardboard boxes.

Last edited:

lachesis

I hadn't noticed much difference - but since I work from home these days, utility bills have gone up a bit, since I am heating up the place longer than used to, and my computer is on most of the time etc.

Top Bottom