• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's PS5 in a 1080p display?

ZywyPL

Banned
Damn, so many people not understanding that people who already own a 40-55" TV don't see a reason to get another one, no wonder they don't understand the idea behind Series S either... Which speaking of, this is the console you should look forward to OP, it's made specifically for people like you.

marquimvfs

Damn, so many people not understanding that people who already own a 40-55" TV don't see a reason to get another one, no wonder they don't understand the idea behind Series S either... Which speaking of, this is the console you should look forward to OP, it's made specifically for people like you.
I'm not very fan of the Xbox ecosystem and personally enjoy playstation single player experience. If the software begin to amaze me, Series S will probably be my next purchase.

Last edited:
One, you're an idiot. You're happy with 1080p because you're ignorant of what 4K offers. Do yourself a favor and upgrade one of your TV's asap. 4K is cheap nowadays.

Two, it'll probably offer the same supersampling features of the PS4 pro.

4m7dod.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
I''m gonna ask this here since the responses may contribute to discussion a little and I don't want to open a new thread:

How much better is actual native resolution vs downsampled? Does the former look really THAT MUCH better? Not so much? Same?

I ask this because I just got a sub-1080p 32" LG TV (actually 768p) which I think looks very VERY good, it has true HDR and very good brightness/contrast levels so I won't be buying a new one for at lease one year or so, so I'll be playing downsampled games on it.

This TV looks same or better than a 1080p monitor I had till a couple years ago, which had very good quality and I'm playing from 2 mts distance anyway.

Do you think there's much difference between downsampled and native (from 4K to 1080p or from 1080p to this resolution I have, it doesn't matter).

Inb4: "4k are cheap!!1!1!"... Many are from south and central america, electronics won't be cheap here and we are unders other constrains just like availability and fees.

Pidull

One, you're an idiot. You're happy with 1080p because you're ignorant of what 4K offers. Do yourself a favor and upgrade one of your TV's asap. 4K is cheap nowadays.

Yikes. This reaction...

4k isn't even noticeable for most home setups due to viewing distance and size of the display. My home I sit about 13 feet from my 55" TV, and can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 4k source material.

drotahorror

Really wish DF or someone would take a look at what the PS5 does if you're using a 1080p display.

I know TV manufacturers pushed 4K on console users and movie watchers, but I'm still on a 144hz/1080p monitor and will likely never upgrade to 4K unless I'm made to do it.

you mean you don't need to buy a new 4K tv to enjoy PS5 games?

weird. Pretty sure they're not allowing you to use your old 1080p VR headset to play PS5 games...

White-fire

Thats the same question I have.
Can I play Spider-Man: MM in 1080p with RTX in 60 fps?
Mi PS5 arrive on december 5.

No, the developer needs to add a 1080p 60fps mode with ray tracing. The requirements for 1080p 60 fps ray tracing aren't the same as 4k 30fps, and im sure need to be made individually. The console doesn't do that itself.

YCoCg

Ok, dumb question, in a 1080p device there's no performance vs cinematic mode, right? I assume it should be able to do cinematic mode at 60 fps.
Thats the same question I have.
Can I play Spider-Man: MM in 1080p with RTX in 60 fps?
Mi PS5 arrive on december 5.
Nope, the console treats EVERYTHING as 2160p internally, so if you output 1080p, then you'll either get supersampling to 1080p in "cinematic/graphics" mode or 1080p native in performance mode.

aries_71

1080p vs 4K is not very important under 43 inches sets and viewing distances.

But HDR, VRR, OLED are... and those don’t usually come in small 1080 sets.

Self

4k isn't even noticeable for most home setups due to viewing distance and size of the display. My home I sit about 13 feet from my 55" TV, and can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 4k source material.

I sit about 3.2 meters away from my 65" TV, but couldn't see the benifit of a 4K picture while gaming nor while watching Netflix 4K material. So I choose to play and watch in 1080p only. It saves bandwidth and gives me more performance/frames in most games.

If my set would have the ability for HDR I would most likely go with 4K though, because of contrast ratio.

This is how it looks. I hope it helps you.
sW5imKP.png

Superior motion handling - good choice!

ElCasual

No, the developer needs to add a 1080p 60fps mode with ray tracing. The requirements for 1080p 60 fps ray tracing aren't the same as 4k 30fps, and im sure need to be made individually. The console doesn't do that itself.
1080p vs 4K is not very important under 43 inches sets and viewing distances.

But HDR, VRR, OLED are... and those don’t usually come in small 1080 sets.
Thank you, both of you.

I have a 65" 4K Samsung in my living room, and a 50" 1080P Sony in the bedroom. Honestly playing on the bedroom TV is such a huge downgrade in graphics it's extremely noticeable.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
PS3 looked fantastic on a 480p plasma, so I guess PS5 will look fantastic on FHD as well.

I recently made a side-by-side comparison of a streaming Amazon Prime movie between a FHD plasma and a 4K LG OLED and, well, you’d have to pay me some big bucks to make me say the OLED looked better to the point you’d be *ahem* an idiot not to buy a new TV this instant.

vkbest

PS5 on 1080p is identical to PS4 Pro in 1080p. Some games will be 1080p yet, other will downsampling (depends of developer). I tested FF XIV, the 1440p option for PS4 Pro was disabled. On Pro and FF XIV, that option was disabled until you enabled the super sampling on general settings.

I’ve been playing my PS5 on a 1080p set (Sony w600b) while I’ve been out of town this week and I miss HDR way more than 4K.

Games are going to look great now and even better when you ultimately decide to upgrade your TV.

manzo

PS5 on 1080p is identical to PS4 Pro in 1080p. Some games will be 1080p yet, other will downsampling (depends of developer). I tested FF XIV, the 1440p option for PS4 Pro was disabled. On Pro and FF XIV, that option was disabled until you enabled the super sampling on general settings.

Can confirm. I'm currently playing Astro on our upstairs 32" 2016 Sony 1080p tv with the kids. Absolutely no difference to a PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

acm2000

I''m gonna ask this here since the responses may contribute to discussion a little and I don't want to open a new thread:

How much better is actual native resolution vs downsampled? Does the former look really THAT MUCH better? Not so much? Same?

I ask this because I just got a sub-1080p 32" LG TV (actually 768p) which I think looks very VERY good, it has true HDR and very good brightness/contrast levels so I won't be buying a new one for at lease one year or so, so I'll be playing downsampled games on it.

This TV looks same or better than a 1080p monitor I had till a couple years ago, which had very good quality and I'm playing from 2 mts distance anyway.

Do you think there's much difference between downsampled and native (from 4K to 1080p or from 1080p to this resolution I have, it doesn't matter).

Inb4: "4k are cheap!!1!1!"... Many are from south and central america, electronics won't be cheap here and we are unders other constrains just like availability and fees.

Sorry to burst your bubble but You realise those LG TVs don't have proper HDR right? "Active HDR" is fake HDR that just does post processing by messing with the settings in real time and offers no actual HDR peak nit advantage etc so it's no brighter than the already poor low nits in sdr? Not to mention 50hz 8bit panels...

To get the benefit of HDR you need to get as close to or higher than 1000nit brightness as you can afford.

Last edited:
I've got a 55" LG OLED and a 24" Benq Zowie 1080p monitor and I play on the monitor the majority of the time, don't get me wrong, everytime I connect it to the OLED and see the colours pop it's amazing but i prefer the response of the monitor and the IQ is brilliant when supersampling on a 1080p display.

Ar¢tos

I play on a basic 1080p TV.
The quality jump from ps4 to ps5 is a bit lost because of the resolution, supersampling is good, but it is in no way equivalent to 4k (with or without cb/reconstruction).
I've played Astro Bot and Demon's Souls so far. Demon's Souls looks nice but compared to God of War/Ghost of Tsushima , there isn't that much improvement when playing at 1080p.

scalman

so its works as on Ps4 Pro ? using supersampling ? thats one answer here that was needed nothing else rly. or is it using some more stuff there ? what happens when you change performance to resolution on system menu on 1080p screen ?
C3kvfaBl.png

Last edited:

kyussman

2020 and full 1080p defence force in this topic lol.
I don't think it's a defence force more than people(like me)not being able to justify buying a new TV to go along with their new console.
I have a fantastic Panasonic plasma 1080p set that has a great picture,excellent response times and brilliant black levels.
I'm not about to trade that in for a 4K set in my price range because other than the res bump it would probably be a bit of a downgrade...the natural replacement for my plasma would be a good OLED and I can't afford that and a new console right now.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Sorry to burst your bubble but You realise those LG TVs don't have proper HDR right? "Active HDR" is fake HDR that just does post processing by messing with the settings in real time and offers no actual HDR peak nit advantage etc so it's no brighter than the already poor low nits in sdr? Not to mention 50hz 8bit panels...

To get the benefit of HDR you need to get as close to or higher than 1000nit brightness as you can afford.

Sure, that's what the TV has, at least what I see on my Radeon settings and on the TV settings, it has 10bit and 12bit modes but I don't trust the 12bits mode till I test it myself. It also has a "HDR effect" image mode which is, as I suppose, what you're referring to, tho I just use game mode since image quality (brightness, contrast, color balance and black levels) are high in my eyes. For reference, I had a gaming monitor till I moved to my current country with 1000:1 contrast and it looks exactly the same in that regard. I also have a cheaper TV set in the bedroom for netflix and shit and it looks nowhere near this one.

Edit: Ok, just confirmed and you're right, tho I don't use HDR mode, I use SDR which is very good for a TV of this size/price

Last edited:

acm2000

Sure, that's what the TV has, at least what I see on my Radeon settings and on the TV settings, it has 10bit and 12bit modes but I don't trust the 12bits mode till I test it myself. It also has a "HDR effect" image mode which is, as I suppose, what you're referring to, tho I just use game mode since image quality (brightness, contrast, color balance and black levels) are high in my eyes. For reference, I had a gaming monitor till I moved to my current country with 1000:1 contrast and it looks exactly the same in that regard. I also have a cheaper TV set in the bedroom for netflix and shit and it looks nowhere near this one.

Edit: Ok, just confirmed and you're right, tho I don't use HDR mode, I use SDR which is very good for a TV of this size/price

Oh I'm not arguing it's a half decent small TV for what it is, just ignore LGs lies and misinformation, it's more of the "hd ready" nonsense TV manufacturers used.

My 55" 4k Sony xf90 is 5500:1 and can hit 1000nits peak hdr and supports 1440p 120hz, this is the minimum anyone needs for decent HDR.

marquimvfs

Samsung Q80T and the Sony is a Bravia that's a few years old. If the Bravia had HDR then the difference probably wouldn't be AS drastic, but still 4K looks fucking incredible to me.
The Bravia model is the most important information missing. Is it a high end set or a mid range?

drotahorror

Now I'm trying to find a 4K monitor 120+hz 27". Nothing affordable at the moment but there are some coming out next year hopefully. Monitors are so far behind TV's for some reason and cost so much more for such a small display.

scalman

resolution is not graphics. dont care how some old shity game runs on 4k and why would i care rly, and then is not same 1080p on 40' HDTV and on some 17' screen. much much more detailed everythin gon that smaller screen. because there is thing called PPi, as even your 4k HDTV have smaller ppi then 1080p 15' laptop screen.
Pixel-Density.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it's very nice on a 1080. i have a 1080 in the living room and i've been playing it there when not on my 4k in my room and it is nice.

however, i just ordered a brand new 43" 4k for my living room. it was $168. it's just so cheap to get a 4k these days, why not?

mhirano

Reported for idiotic use of the word 'idiot'

Top Bottom