• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you make an open-world Star Wars game?

How the game should be?

• One big open-world

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Many smaller open worlds

Votes: 41 67.2%

• Total voters

VulcanRaven

How would you make an open-world Star Wars game? Would be great to have many planets but if I had to choose one then it would be Coruscant. The city needs to be huge and you could pilot airspeeders like in Episode 2. I really liked the chase scene. The main character doesn't need to be a Jedi but that would be interesting too.

startours-coruscant.jpg

peivFZX.png

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I would like multiple planets with large areas to explore and influence with my lightsaber. I think you could do something similar to the KOTOR MMO with a single player game. Witcher 3 would be a good model.

Plantoid

One big open world, you're a sith hiding under the new republic and your objective is to restore the sith empire, you're alone because you're the only one that survived the events of episode 6

VulcanRaven

Episode 1 game on PS1 had two great Mos Espa levels:

You could explore the area freely and talk to people. Would be great to see something like that in a bigger city with modern graphics.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Go big and epic. Its Star Wars.

1 big world + smaller sized ones.
The smaller size ones can be the size as KOTOR planets. Have a town/ hub, main NPC area or 2 in each planet + Side quests.

Lots of lore and options to do stuff, from bouty hunting, Jedi/Sith training, Temple ruins, chilling in a Cantina, playing Dejarik ( Star Wars chess )

Your customizable space ship as the main Hub for character and crew

RPG Elements, lots of NPC and optional addable crew members. Romance, friendship and helping them out with there story/quests

Choices to go light or dark side like KOTOR

Combat like Sekiro or Ghost of Tsushima. Focusing on Light saber forms. + 3rd person shooting and gadgets, if your not a Jedi.

NPC and Quests like Witcher 3, KOTOR and Mass Effect + Optional discreet side quests like DarkSouls/Bloodborne

Add in a couple of Uncharted 2 like missions for that roller coaster action packed adventure

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Easy to answer.

Have an open galaxy. Thousands of world's to explore. Each one true to its cannon size, including real size cities where you can enter every building.

Last edited:

Larxia

I still don't understant that to this day, there's still no open world / Gta-like in a futuristic setting with flying cars. I've been dreaming about this since I was a kid, and it just never happened, while being something that would be really great.

VulcanRaven

I still don't understant that to this day, there's still no open world / Gta-like in a futuristic setting with flying cars. I've been dreaming about this since I was a kid, and it just never happened, while being something that would be really great.
Blade Runner game like that would be awesome. One problem might be that the map can feel small because the flying cars are so fast. The city would have to be huge.

Last edited:

The Snake

Blade Runner game like that would be awesome. One problem might be that the map can feel small because the flying cars are so fast. The city would have to be huge.
I would outright kill to have a game set in Blade Runner's universe. With the right amount of detail street level.

I guess I kinda hoped Cyberpunk would be close-ish (obviously a different vibe, but a futuristic city). We all know how that turned out.

Star Wars Galaxies 2. I literally want the option of being a moisture farmer in the middle of nowhere by day, a bounty hunter by night.

Yoda

Probably something similar to Mass Effect. A single open-world (Skyrim) wouldn't capture the "Star" part of Star Wars.

VulcanRaven

I would outright kill to have a game set in Blade Runner's universe. With the right amount of detail street level.

I guess I kinda hoped Cyberpunk would be close-ish (obviously a different vibe, but a futuristic city). We all know how that turned out.
I bought Cyberpunk when I go it cheap but haven't played it yet. It has flying cars but I heard you can't use them.

MAX PAYMENT

I think the Mandalorian style bounty hunter game would work perfectly for an open world game, even it it took place entirely on tattooine.

But you gotta do multiple open worlds!

I prefer hubs over one big world, because hubs are generally more dense with... everything. Of course riding across a huge open world also feels good, but it's not worth it imo.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I have thought about this a lot and here is my idea that would print fucking money like nobodies business.

Yall know that Days Gone game? Its just okay, but certainly has good bones. Well here is how to take the idea of that game and make a 10 million plus seller.

- Switch Oregon with a frontier planet (Single large open world)
- Switch the motorcycle with a speeder bike
- Switch Deacon St John with a Mandalorian (doesn't have to be THE Mandalorian)
- Switch the Zombies with something from star wars lore (I think zombies actually do exist in legacy star wars though)
- The story set up would be the Mandalorian's ship is fucked and he is doing bounty mission to make the credits to get it fixed. While doing these missions he ends up in the middle of a much larger story that ties in with whatever the zombie analogs are. Keep it smaller in scope and kind of "Westerny".
- Gameplay would be third person shooter with Mandalorian gadgets
- Lots of looting (kinda like fallout series) and crafting
- Armor upgrading and gadget progression
- Can play as a male or female Mandalorian

Any competent open world dev could make the game above and sell a crap ton of copies. Biggest no brainer game given the current star wars climate.

Last edited:
One giant city that is the main location of the game, and smaller linear missions in iconic areas. But I don't think a ton of smaller open areas would allow the full exploration that a star wars game deserves. It'll just feel like the outer worlds.

yurinka

I think that in Star Wars is important to feature different planets, so I'd vote multiple smaller open worlds, one per planet.

I'd like to feature many different iconic weapons, from blasters to the different types of light sabers and unlockable force powers using 2 different skill points you'd earn depending on your actions: light side skill points for Jedi powers and dark side skill points for Sith powers.

A super powerful character editor featuring many races and clothes would be welcome too.

only one man can make stars wars open world work
155-1557945_imagine-todd-todd-howard.png
They may work a few years after launch after many fixes.

Tschumi

I really loved the megacity you go to after the starting zone in The Old Republic. At least, i did. It's unrecognisable now, but back around launch it was a beautiful instanced mmo experience. Too bad the next world after that was a huge grind, and too bad heirloom weapons completely neutered the gear grind...

Anyway I'd do anything to experience that launch feeling again.

As such, i think any open world star wars game would have to be set on multiple open worlds, each with great stories.

I think i might look into a vanilla private server for the old republic...

royox

SWTOR but with 100% freedom to visit all planets (sith cannot travel to coruscant and reps to korriban..what a waste of pvp.

Mass effect-like gameplay for non jedis. Battlefront 2 gameplay for jedis.

I honestly want the game to take place exclusively on Coruscant and have the entire planet and its multiple levels traversable. I can imagine walking around for days. That's one place in the Star Wars universe I'm dying to explore.

It was rumored to be called Beyond Good and Evil 2

VulcanRaven

I honestly want the game to take place exclusively on Coruscant and have the entire planet and its multiple levels traversable. I can imagine walking around for days. That's one place in the Star Wars universe I'm dying to explore.
I'm still sad that Star Wars 1313 was cancelled. I don't think it was open world but it was set in Coruscant. Would also be interesting to play as a Jedi during the prequel era. The Jedi council would give you missions.

Last edited:

LRKD

I wouldn't open world is incredibly inferior in many ways to more linear developed worlds. You can still have open areas and exploration without a open world, but with open worlds you often miss out on big set pieces, and well crafted encounters.
I'd probably create a open world space section of the game if I was forced to create a open world, and then more linear planets/levels. Have the space section be really open with the ability to fly to most planets in whatever order you want, perhaps locking a few in a set order for major story beats. Something Like SWJKJA, where you did 4-5 planets in whatever order, major story event, then 4-5 more planets in whatever order.

A.Romero

Elite Dangerous space travel and missions with a Star wars theme. You can be a rebel, an imperial soldier or a bounty hunter. Do missions around the galaxy for your faction, rise through the ranks and maybe be able to tap into the force.

I think it's pretty doable with current tech.

Similar to the original Mass Effect. Character creation, dialogue choices, your own ship and galaxy map. Secondary missions I would put a stern effort into having not just depth to them but try to avoid similarity and repetitiveness so they are not just filler but complimented the main story arc.

As for setting, I’d probably set it around the aftermaths of Return of the Jedi, play as a smuggler who sees the defeated Empire as a chance to grow their own enterprise, something like that.

Top Bottom