• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you feel if the next PlayStation was an extension of the PS4?

Out of curiosity and advertising tactics... how would you feel if rather than PSV per-se, since we kind of had that with Vita, that Sony just go for PlayStation 4K, in the same respect that Nintendo had the 64. Rather than Uncharted 4 simply being ported, it could be Uncharted 4K like Mario 64 etc. Very niche but also a simple way for less involved folk to know what they're really getting. This machine has to have a proper 4K blu ray player in right? So this system that would be designed to be backward compatible at the very least with base PS4/PS4 Pro, hopefully compatible with far more than that, was re-marketed firmly as PS4K. Introduce a new PlayStation 4 slim designed console based on the higher specification of the PS4 Pro, such as PS4 Lite or something and I don't think you'd be far off a winner there. As long as Sony really drum in that this console will be 4K capable at heart with downsampling for lower resolution screens, it could be quite interesting, especially if Microsoft don't necessarily just go XBOX Two, what if they went down the road of XBOX One Ultra? Name games from the good old days, surely just the concept is a good enough giggle blast from the past where we counted machine power in bits and argued about technical differences haha.

Edit: I also wonder if Sony would technically add any new console sales for PS4 LTD, should this be dumbfoundedly a reality.

Last edited:

Psajdak

Banned
If they brought back PS3, but said that it will focus on 60fps, I would still considered it genaration ahead of PS4 PRo.

If they brought back PS3, but said that it will focus on 60fps, I would still considered it genaration ahead of PS4 PRo.

giphy.gif

You can't be fuckin serious

Why do i have a feeling every one of these threads are about "what if Sony copy what Microsoft is doing?"

Back then it was "What if Sony does always Online", "What if Sony force PSVR to be packed with every PS5", "What if PS5 is discless", etc.

In this case, this thread is "What if Sony doesn't offer any PS5 exclusives, just like Microsoft is planning with Scarlet?"

I don't know what the purpose of these threads are, other than justifying what crazy plans MS had.

No way..... unless it looks better than SEGA CD 1 + MD + 32X + Game Genie + Sonic and Knuckles + Sonic 3. 🤭

(sorry for the post but it had to be done).

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't quite understand what you mean.

I think Sony is gonna play as safe as they can, because they're being successful currently. And that's exactly what they should do.

Even if they were disruptive, they'd probably not be able to do it correctly. The more successful you are, especially in the entertainment industry, the larger the dangers. I have an expectation in relation to Sony and that's that they will likely descend a few notches before they can soar again. Regardless of how much risk they take or don't take. But it really doesn't matter.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Would prefer a successor with it being called PlayStation 5. You know, like it should be.

P.S. - Love Fear Factory!!! As they're my favorite band.

Rayderism

I keep thinking they (as in various publishers) will start charging you for upgrades of many PS4 games. Like, you can play your PS4 game as is on PS5 , but for a fee, they will sell you a download for enhanced textures and stuff to bring PS4 games up to PS5 standards.

It could be a new way for the EA's, UBI's and Activision's of the gaming world to monetize their games in a way that would be more acceptable to gamers.

yurinka

PS5 is going to be BC, which means that you'll already going to have your 4K games. With just a free patch instead of a 4K remaster. PS4 games were playable in PS4 Pro, and PSOne and PSP (digital) games were playable at no extra cost in Vita.

I highly doubt they would charge for that if it's just a patch that increases resolution, maybe framerate and if lucky includes a high resolution texture pack or some lighting improvement. I think they will only charge if it's a pre-PS4 game that requires a full port/remaster/adding trophies/adding online/etc.

Winter John

Gold Member
If Sony were smart they'd do the same thing they did last gen. Build it cheap and sell it cheap. Instead it looks like they're going for gimmicks like vr while over pricing the thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the launch is as disastrous as the PS3's was

Keihart

So you mean, keeping for 4 more years at least the OG PS4 Specs as the base for games? that makes no sense, it would have an even smaller portion than the PS4pro target market.
Bring PS5 and the new baseline, stop making PS4 games ASAP. That is something to get exited about, even PC gaming would see a substantial change thanks to that.

Edit:
Instead it looks like they're going for gimmicks like vr

"A gimmick is a novel device or idea designed primarily to attract attention or increase appeal, often with little intrinsic value "
VR is far from having no value.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Out of curiosity and advertising tactics... how would you feel if rather than PSV per-se, since we kind of had that with Vita, that Sony just go for PlayStation 4K, in the same respect that Nintendo had the 64. Rather than Uncharted 4 simply being ported, it could be Uncharted 4K like Mario 64 etc. Very niche but also a simple way for less involved folk to know what they're really getting. This machine has to have a proper 4K blu ray player in right? So this system that would be designed to be backward compatible at the very least with base PS4/PS4 Pro, hopefully compatible with far more than that, was re-marketed firmly as PS4K. Introduce a new PlayStation 4 slim designed console based on the higher specification of the PS4 Pro, such as PS4 Lite or something and I don't think you'd be far off a winner there. As long as Sony really drum in that this console will be 4K capable at heart with downsampling for lower resolution screens, it could be quite interesting, especially if Microsoft don't necessarily just go XBOX Two, what if they went down the road of XBOX One Ultra? Name games from the good old days, surely just the concept is a good enough giggle blast from the past where we counted machine power in bits and argued about technical differences haha.

Edit: I also wonder if Sony would technically add any new console sales for PS4 LTD, should this be dumbfoundedly a reality.

So PS4 Pro? I don't know what you mean tbh. None of this makes any sense and I'm not sure why they'd even do what you are saying instead of PS5 as why on earth would it be a either or?

Could they not make a PS4 Pro Slim with all that you stated and still make PS5?

Can you even explain why you stated " if rather than PSV " as why does PS5 need to not happen to make what you are even stating? Is there a reason Sony can't do both?

" as Sony really drum in that this console will be 4K capable" That already is PS4 Pro..... WHAT a developer does with that power is their own business, Sony can't force anyone to use native 4k anymore then MS can, so what you are asking for has little to do with Sony or MS as you seem to think the downsampling used in Pro has something to do with Sony not making it 4k or something as suppose to a developer deciding they will not downgrade their features THAT MUCH to get native 4K.

Fbh

I don't see how that would be in their interest. The standard numeric naming has worked for many years for a ton of products in a ton of different industries because it's simple, to the point and it works.

Regardless of the actual specs, "Ps4K" just sounds like an upgraded Ps4.
Ps5 sounds like next gen, a big step up, a proper follow up

Tell anyone who is aware that the Ps4 exists that there's a Ps5 now and they'll instantly get it: ·cool, it's the newer, stronger, arguably better console.
A Ps4K though?: "So.. it's a Ps4? Is this a new thing? Do I need one if I don't care that much about 4K? Does it just play the same games or will it get new ones?, wait so this new game works on the Ps4K but no the Ps4Pro or standard Ps4?, Is this a next gen thing like when we went from the Ps3 to the Ps4 or is it just another model like the 4Pro?"

Last edited:

GV82

This thread is hurting my brain, is it a naming thread?

Are you just wanting to know if Sony should change the name so it’s not marketed as a PSV because of the name of already existing PSVita or PSVR Consoles?

Well this may shock you they could call it, The PS5 (I know right? Bold choice)

Since I don’t ever recall referring to the other consoles as PS I, PS II, PS III nor PS IV.

Likewise the PlayStation 5 does not need to be referred to as the PSV with Roman numerals and thus wouldn’t be confused with the Vita nor VR.

You know who didn’t get their console name right? The WiiU, should have been called the Super Wii or something like just Wii 2.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Or they could just call it the PS5 and it will sell 10 times better than whatever nonsense you're trying to pitch here.

Top Bottom