• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you feel if MTX were introduced to unlock achievements/trophies?

Well?

• I love this idea OP and please attend my next party

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • OP, dont give them stupid ideas. You are not welcome in my house.

Votes: 65 84.4%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
So we probably all have games we can no longer get multiplayer trophies for, or that achievement which requires another two playthroughs.....

How would you feel if Sony/Microsoft introduced micro transactions so people can max out profiles or just pay an extra couple bucks to save 14 hours?

Price schemes could vary by rarity etc. Ranging from 99p to 4.99 so as to not devalue the time others spent.

Jennings

TDuczFb.jpg

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I think that kinda defeats the purpose of a trophy/success/achievement but since I'm not hunting them or taking pride in them, I don't really care...At least mark them as paid to avoid having the wrong data about real completion of games.But if some people are shallow enough to pay for it maybe that can drive the cost (well lower the ground for profits) of games down then why not , if it is indeed acompanied by a reduce msrp for games.

//DEVIL//

lol @ achievements. I honestly don't even know why they are there in the first place. who is bragging to his friends about a digital trophy ??? like wtf !!

and the OP is talking about buying these trophies too.. man gtfo lol

Fbh

I mean if I can get some free new features or content in a game subsidized by idiots paying for achievements I wouldn't complain.

But that opens the question: ¿Am I getting something from all of this? ¿ Is it like "paid achievements but those cool skins that used to be paid only are now obtainable in game?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This has been happening via eBay and other sites for a very long time.

My guess is that they know it isn't worth it, because those third party sellers will undercut them vs. the utter weirdos who would genuinely stop buying games because the "integrity" of their chives is ruined.

So, as per the above. Couldn't care less and you should give your head a wobble if you do. People already buy/cheat achievements and they have no practical application anyway.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I would love it if companies could make money off of this because I don't give a fuck about achievements and this would reduce other MTX bullshit if they can hook idiots on this. My only requirement is that they have an expensive achievement for being a fucking moron and buying this shit.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
To add to my post above. This is just one buyer from one account on one website in the last 6 months.

2Xs9dyn.png

Somebody paid $40 because they had a bugged trophy and wanted to their little bar to say 100%. Some people really do have more money than sense.

Lasha

I would be perfectly happy for achievement hunters to bear the brunt of any new monetization. Anything that doesn't affect me is fine.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I got a better idea.

What if we pay box price to install the game, and pay one dollar for each map in the game.

I don’t know about that.
It just makes the developers look like there taking advantage of mental illness with completion issue’s.

But then again it sounds like a you problem and if you can’t control your obsession of completion without doing the work that makes me think you want to be taken advantage of.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t care for them/use them so I wouldn’t care. I wouldn’t even notice a change like that.

Are we pretending now that that shovelware 0,99$ garbage that only exists for easy Platinum trophies did not already exist?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ofcourse it's Blasphemous

But, playing Devil's advocate; if you're someone with severe (!!!!!) OCD where you sometimes have to put 300+ hours into a RNG type thropie while having a busy life/family etc I can sympathize with that.

I personally don't give a big shit over thropies/achievements

And even when said model was integrated the only people that would feel REAL bad about it will be those that get those because it means something to them for putting in the effort themselves. That's the main philosophy behind trophies/achievements anyways.

To bad most will think in black and white and don't consider the example I gave.

Last edited:

soulbait

Why? This makes no sense.

They are called achievements/trophies for a reason. One must earn them. Who cares if one is no longer available to get? It does not matter. Do you think someone should be able to buy a trophy for a competition they were not apart of, to look like they were apart of it and won?

Achievements and trophies hold not true value. They were created to add new challenges and keep players engaged in games. Some games have done this better than others and many gamers simply do not care about them. Why would you want to spend money on something like this?

What is the point of it? What value would you get?

This is dumb.

trikster40

Or, hear me out, this sounds crazy, stop implementing MP trophies or trophies designed to make you grind or play through a game 3-4 times.

Or you could stop giving a shit about achievements.

Teslerum

Could you imagine spending $ to pretend you played the game, vs. actually playing it.

@ //DEVIL// //DEVIL// It's not that talked about now, but in the early 360 days, there was plenty of gamerscore bragging on the forums. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
This happened IIRC.

At least I remember some XBOX/PSN accounts getting sold with *lots of achievements*being the main selling point.

Neilg

They should make it an open market economy based on the number of people who buy them and only open up sales a full month after release - the fewer 'natural' achievers any one achievement has, the higher the price. if 1% of people with the game have it, that's $10. If that drops down to 0.1% because of all the people who bought it? goes all the way up to $100.
They'd definitely make money from people who have just one achievement left to get plat that requires a full extra playthrough. Get it now for $30, or try and do it naturally, give up, and find out the price has increased to $100?

Gamers would bitch and moan about the sanctity of achievements but they'd make a boatload of cash.

DaGwaphics

This happened IIRC.

At least I remember some XBOX/PSN accounts getting sold with *lots of achievements*being the main selling point.

It's one of those things that is/was such a crazy thing. Why do you want to pretend you do something if you don't have any real interest in the hobby. Outside of being a "journalist" or something and wanting to make yourself seem credible, I don't really see the point.

I'm not at a competitive skill level in most of the games I play, it is what it is, I just enjoy the hobby and get whatever achievements I get. The only exception to that is I generally have a game with easy achievements on the back burner to ensure I can get my weekly and monthly GP quests completed in a pinch. LOL

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
To add to my post above. This is just one buyer from one account on one website in the last 6 months.

2Xs9dyn.png

Somebody paid $40 because they had a bugged trophy and wanted to their little bar to say 100%. Some people really do have more money than sense.

Wait, how does that work? They shareplay or give their account away? Fuck that

AV

Wait, how does that work? They shareplay or give their account away? Fuck that

Few different methods I think, something about cloud saving. I dunno, never done it. But it's been going on a looooong time.

If you go into a major city in modern WoW and look at the chat it's 100% people selling boosts through content that's too hard for people, for gold which is then sold back to other players for real money, or used to pay Blizzard directly for more game time. People are just crazy completionists even if they don't have the ability to actually complete things.

anthony2690

Banned
Is there a competition for worst thread going on GAF that I'm unaware off?

First it's blessed day guy, then good evening person, the dpad are obsolete muppet, then holding the door open whiner, and now paying for acheivements/trophies suggestion.

Oh boy. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

I like them for the statistics. Like at what point did 50% of the players stop playing or used a secret method to complete a level. It's actually shocking how few people complete some great games like Half Life: Alyx. Hopefully they keep the global statistics pure if they do ever sell achievements.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Seeing as trophies and achievements are worthless I wouldn't care. Seems like it would highlight people who would pay real money for what amounts to clout and open them up to bullying for doing it. Like paying 8 dollars for a blue checkmark. Good source of internet drama.

Last edited:
Top Bottom