• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will next-gen VR factor into your console / PC upgrade next gen, if at all?

How will next-gen VR factor into your console / PC upgrade next gen?

• Not at all

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • I'm open to being impressed, but otherwise don't care

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I might decide based on what VR headsets are on offer

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • VR will be the deciding factor for me

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Curious to hear the variety of opinions on GAF, since next-gen VR is my #2 desired feature from the next-gen consoles (the #1 being backwards compatibility).

I enjoyed my time with Rift (first gen) and PS VR, but neither felt like a device that I wanted to spend a ton of my gaming time in, so I ultimately sold off the PS VR to someone who was going to put it to better use. The VR library has grown significantly and we even have companies like Valve putting their full weight behind the Index with the HL: Alyx game.

Some improvements I need to see, however:

- Foveated rendering. This clever technique almost seems too good to be true: savings on the processing-power side while improving the realism of the VR content. It is already being showcased and seems like a no-brainer for all future VR headsets

- High framerate performance. More important than resolution, IMO. I don't want to see any dips. At all.

- Better akimbo controllers. Full motion tracking and even some finger tracking would be nice, though it isn't a requirement for me. Move controllers were painfully under-equipped to handle the needs of VR, in my opinion.

- The Main Attraction. None of the VR sets feel like a platform unto itself. I will always love traditional gaming so I want the VR market to bud and exist in its own space, on its own merits. That isn't to say I'd ignore "traditional" offerings on whatever system supports my VR choice, but the headset needs to justify the additional cost as though it was its own platform.

Romulus

If MS had exclusive VR games, it'd probably buy it. Those big Teraflops numbers mean less to me unless its VR. Normal games just see less benefit. Its basically the same games over and over unlike VR.

Wonko_C

My PS4 would be gathering dust if it wasn't for PSVR. But this actually has me torn: Should I just go for the PS5 and take advantage of its confirmed compatibility with the current PSVR? Or should I abandon console gaming altogether and just get a new PC with a VR headset for the best experience?

Neither Xbox nor Nintendo are on my radar anymore, unless they get serious about VR.

Cant vote in this poll for some reason, but "Not a at all".

Not until I start seeing proper fleshed out titles that arent piece meal over priced wii party games.

I really don't give a shit.

Personally I don't care for it and I think it is and still will be a niche market.

Half-Life: Alyx is the only VR game that would interest me and maybe that Vader's Castle game.

Nope. Not for someone that really thinks VR has nothing but short games, that alone tells me you have absolutely no idea about the state of VR. Google or use the PCVR thread here.

I never said anything about short games. Solitaire can be a drawn out game if you want it to.

Sony doesnt even have a first party must have VR title and its their machine.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see what the PSVR2 ends up looking like. I recently bought and Quest and it converted me from a VR skeptic to a believer. I definitely can now see the potential, but also the shortfalls with gaming VR. It'll be interesting to see how it evolves.

With that though.. it really won't be any. deciding factor for me either way. I imagine I'll end up buying both consoles anyways.

Wonko_C

I never said anything about short games. Solitaire can be a drawn out game if you want it to.

Sony doesnt even have a first party must have VR title and its their machine.

-Astro Bot (Best platformer since Super Mario Galaxy)
-Wipeout Omega Collection (A dream come true for many wipeout fans since the 90's)
-Blood & Truth (You're inside your own action movie)
-Firewall Zero Hour (Best-in-class FPS, a new set of gameplay possibilities with the Aim controller)

Those are the first-party must haves, they often end up ranking very high in most top lists, with Astro Bot almost always stealing the show grabbing first place. Plus the upcoming Iron Man VR looks like another hit. A few more worthwhile titles include the likes of Everybody's Golf VR, Driveclub VR, Rush of Blood, Déraciné, Super Stardust Ultra VR, and No Heroes Allowed. Then there's a few duds like Bravo Team and The Inpatient.

Last edited:
VR is nextgen gaming and I've been aboard for over 3 years.

I have no interest in PS5 or any "nextgen" flat game - I'm only buying it if psvr2 requires it.

Top Bottom