• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Introduce Final Fantasy VII (OG) To My Fiancé

Royal-Slime

Banned
This is like one of those reddit topics where a guy asks how to "introduce" his wife to swingering. You don't need to introduce anyone to anything. If this is an actually good game, all you need to do is play it. If the game is equal to swingering and other perversions, ain't no one with a brain is going to play it :D

May the Kosmos and Moogles forgive my comparison.

Why are you over complicating this. Put the game on. Toss her the controller after she makes you a sandwich and say give it a shot.

borborygmus

Let her know FF7 remake isn't a remake. It's a fan service amusement park for people who know the original. If she still wants to play it, cool. But it's literally not a remake, that's blatant false advertising. The events in this game are radically different than what occurs in Final Fantasy 7.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

Both games are complimentary to each other imo, I think playing remake without any knowledge of the original would be quite an experience. Going to the original from Remake would be a treat to basically see the rest of the og game narrative and see the rest of the characters/events to come.

Fredrik

Let her watch a summary of the story on youtube instead. It hasn’t aged well enough for anyone without nostalgia to enjoy it.

Royal-Slime

Banned
I say remake first (then ffx) then og 7
Easing back into squaresoft times
That will be very difficult. I love the series but I am having a very hard time playing some of the older entries, even FF XII is tough to get into. Love the story but the gameplay is very confusing. And PSX Final Fantasy suffer from being PSX games - low framerate in battles, limited presentation, non-voiced story, et cetera. I tried watching cutscenes on Youtube and was pretty damn bored. Also tried playing. I'll probably keep some PSX games on my list out of respect but I'd need to finish every game in my backlog to do PSX ones.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game is to old. I played other games when it came out and skipped it. I missed out and don't get what's so great about it and can't get into it.
Give her remake

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Let's be honest OP, you only want to give Final Fantasy 7 to compensate for the fact that you're packing less than 7.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I think mate, if you haven't found it out by now, trying to transplant nostalgia to a life partner who has gotten used to you is a waste of time.. unless it's ghibli, in my experience~ should be building new nostalgia... don't force her to live in the 90s for your own kicks

I think the key thing is treating your partner as a fully fledged human. I suggested This Life to my wife who hadn’t watched it before and she enjoyed it but I didn’t hype her up, I didn’t persuade her, I didn’t have to treat it as anything other than “hey this is a cool thing, fancy trying it”.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But it's literally not a remake, that's blatant false advertising.
I agree it's not "remake" but I'm personally glad the direction they went with. Instead of if making 1:1 remake (which 100% bet you anything people still would shit on it.) they took risk and when the with different direction, to me this game was never meant replace original FFVII.

Drakengard 3 Did the same thing:

The game starts out as prequel to original Drakengard but because of Accord's interference it goes its own timeline.

borborygmus

I agree it's not "remake" but I'm personally glad the direction they went with. Instead of if making 1:1 remake (which 100% bet you anything people still would shit on it.) they took risk and when the with different direction, to me this game was never meant replace original FFVII.

Fair enough, but I think it's his best possible argument for convincing his fiancée since it's just not the same game, and it's only part 1. If she wants to play FF7, this isn't it.

Personally I dislike FF7R but I've trashed it enough in other threads so I will exercise some discipline here and refrain.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fair enough, but I think it's his best possible argument for convincing his fiancée since it's just not the same game, and it's only part 1. If she wants to play FF7, this isn't it.
I agree that if someone never played FFVII before, they shouldn't play FFVIIR as their first experience.

Top Bottom