• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Introduce Final Fantasy VII (OG) To My Fiancé

Brock2621

Cloud-FF7-FF7-Remake.jpg

So I picked up a PS5 for my fiancé for Christmas and she has been obsessed with it. She blasted through Detroit, Platinumed Spyro Remake 1 & 2 (she has yet to start 3 because...) she started Cyberpunk 2077. She's about 20 hours into Cyberpunk but she mentioned last week that she saw the case for Final Fantasy VII Remake and wanted to see what it was about because I've mentioned it in passing over this past year when I was playing it. I told her she wasn't allowed to until she played the original first.

So my question is this: Her only reference to RPG's is Super Mario RPG that she played through last year when she found my SNES mini system and started it thinking it was a normal Mario game but surprisingly loved the turn based strategy. How do I frame this introduction to accurately convey the nostalgic weight and emotional gravitas that I had/have for this game playing it 20+ years ago all the way up to today. How do I set the mood? What kind of prep should I do to get her into the correct mindset etc?

Or do I just say nothing and pop it in one day? I'm torn...

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
"This game means more to the average grown man aged 30+ then their own wives/children. It's the greatest story ever told and the fact people can still play it today despite it looking like shit is a testament to the quality the game holds within."

I don't even care about that game and that shit was easy.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Honestly, I would just let her play the remake or the OG and leave it at that. Once she's played it for a bit then you can have a more "fun" conversation of the game. I feel like it would make more sense for you to gush over it once she has an understanding of what the game plays like, etc.

"This game means more to the average grown man aged 30+ then their own wives/children. It's the greatest story ever told and the fact people can still play it today despite it looking like shit is a testament to the quality the game holds within."

I don't even care about that game and that shit was easy.
yeah. op is just bragging that he has a fiancé

Last edited:

poodaddy

She loved Super Mario RPG, which was a legitimately good game and had brilliant comedic writing, so she honestly deserves better than the weeb trash that is the remake, and the original was honestly never that good either. FFVI, FFIV, FF Tactics, FF IX, FF X, Breath of Fire 2, Suikoden 1 and 2, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, these are all much better games that I imagine she'd probably enjoy more.

FF VII has a few excellent things going for it that are, in my opinion, responsible for the overwhelmingly positive reception it received and the legendary status it has enjoyed since.

Iconic character designs: It's hard to deny this, even as the detractor of the game that I absolutely am. Cloud simply looks awesome, so does Sephiroth, Cait Sith and Red XIII are weirdly cute and very 90's looking, Cid is the rough and tough every man, Vincent is edge lord gold and also very 90's, Barrett is.....well kind of a miss, and Tifa makes weeb dicks hard. Iconic character designs are a huge part of lasting appeal, I mean look how people freaked that Sephiroth was coming to Smash. Hell, even I love playing as him, he just looks fuckin rad man! And that sword! Shame how badly written he is in the actual game, and how his character arc started out so interesting but ended on a flat, one note villainous archetype......but he looks cool and has a long ass sword so folks like him, me included.

Amazing sountrack: I'm not gonna elongate this; the game's got jams man.

Beautiful set designs/prerendered backgrounds: Iconic, unique locales tend to stick to a person's mind when they experience a piece of media. Even if you can't remember the name of it, you'll remember how it looks perfectly, and maybe even the song in your head. For example, there's a part of FFVIII where you play as Laguna that I can't remember for shit in terms of narrative or location names, but fuck I remember it being a really cool looking city with a fun night life, very evocative of the 30's through the 50's, and that image really sticks with me. FF VII has several locations like this, while most games only have 1 or 2, maybe 3. Makes the game stick out in people's minds more.

That's just how I see it in any case. I started out on Super Mario RPG when I was quite young as well, and I honestly just didn't find FFVII that much fun to play. I didn't like the materia system, I didn't like the battle system, I didn't like how limit breaks were handled, and I ultimately found the narrative underwhelming, particularly the conclusion and the "twists." If she really like Super Mario RPG in its brilliant simplicity and outstanding comedic writing, then I find myself thinking that she may not love FF VII as much as you may assume, but then again I could be way off base and she could find it utterly outstanding, who knows? I will say that FF VIII landed a lot more for narratively but failed in game design and the junction system, FFIX is damn near perfect and it doesn't get the love it deserves, FFVI is simply the best numbered FF by a country mile and nothing comes close, FFIV is a bit dated and difficult, but had a satisfying character arc for the protagonist and a satisfying conclusion, and Tactics has the best writing of the series. I also adore FF XII, but that one's a bit controversial as a lot of folks hate it, but I think it's brilliantly written, even if it's just a rip off of Star Wars ultimately. My genuine opinion is that FF's I through III are completely skippable, and that VII was ultimately disappointing, but it managed to ride this wave of fortune due to embracing 3D graphics at a time when it could be accepted and embedded into the average gamer's nostalgia bank, and as such it will forever be beloved. If it had come out on the SNES with pixel art, noone would be discussing it today. FF VI did come out on the SNES with pixel art, and is often discussed as a potential for one of the best RPG's of all time, and I think it deserves notoriety for that.

In summary, I want a beer and a steak.

Brock2621

"This game made me the man I am today"

Or maybe just, you know... Don't force your faux-elitist childhood nostalgia feels upon her like a weirdo and just let her have fun playing a videogame?
Hmm... I'm not sure how this has to do with me being better than other people with "elitist" rhetoric but.....

Brock2621

Just let your wife play the damn game
Honest question, do you feel it important with how the ending of the Remake deviate substantially from the original while references lots of story moments from the full game that it would even make sense to go ahead and let her play the Remake w/o the original for context?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You could say this is one of your favorites and let her try it. Often people do not like stuff from the past without the nostalgia to go with it.

Brock2621

She loved Super Mario RPG, which was a legitimately good game and had brilliant comedic writing, so she honestly deserves better than the weeb trash that is the remake, and the original was honestly never that good either. FFVI, FFIV, FF Tactics, FF IX, FF X, Breath of Fire 2, Suikoden 1 and 2, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, these are all much better games that I imagine she'd probably enjoy more.

FF VII has a few excellent things going for it that are, in my opinion, responsible for the overwhelmingly positive reception it received and the legendary status it has enjoyed since.

Iconic character designs: It's hard to deny this, even as the detractor of the game that I absolutely am. Cloud simply looks awesome, so does Sephiroth, Cait Sith and Red XIII are weirdly cute and very 90's looking, Cid is the rough and tough every man, Vincent is edge lord gold and also very 90's, Barrett is.....well kind of a miss, and Tifa makes weeb dicks hard. Iconic character designs are a huge part of lasting appeal, I mean look how people freaked that Sephiroth was coming to Smash. Hell, even I love playing as him, he just looks fuckin rad man! And that sword! Shame how badly written he is in the actual game, and how his character arc started out so interesting but ended on a flat, one note villainous archetype......but he looks cool and has a long ass sword so folks like him, me included.

Amazing sountrack: I'm not gonna elongate this; the game's got jams man.

Beautiful set designs/prerendered backgrounds: Iconic, unique locales tend to stick to a person's mind when they experience a piece of media. Even if you can't remember the name of it, you'll remember how it looks perfectly, and maybe even the song in your head. For example, there's a part of FFVIII where you play as Laguna that I can't remember for shit in terms of narrative or location names, but fuck I remember it being a really cool looking city with a fun night life, very evocative of the 30's through the 50's, and that image really sticks with me. FF VII has several locations like this, while most games only have 1 or 2, maybe 3. Makes the game stick out in people's minds more.

That's just how I see it in any case. I started out on Super Mario RPG when I was quite young as well, and I honestly just didn't find FFVII that much fun to play. I didn't like the materia system, I didn't like the battle system, I didn't like how limit breaks were handled, and I ultimately found the narrative underwhelming, particularly the conclusion and the "twists." If she really like Super Mario RPG in its brilliant simplicity and outstanding comedic writing, then I find myself thinking that she may not love FF VII as much as you may assume, but then again I could be way off base and she could find it utterly outstanding, who knows? I will say that FF VIII landed a lot more for narratively but failed in game design and the junction system, FFIX is damn near perfect and it doesn't get the love it deserves, FFVI is simply the best numbered FF by a country mile and nothing comes close, FFIV is a bit dated and difficult, but had a satisfying character arc for the protagonist and a satisfying conclusion, and Tactics has the best writing of the series. I also adore FF XII, but that one's a bit controversial as a lot of folks hate it, but I think it's brilliantly written, even if it's just a rip off of Star Wars ultimately. My genuine opinion is that FF's I through III are completely skippable, and that VII was ultimately disappointing, but it managed to ride this wave of fortune due to embracing 3D graphics at a time when it could be accepted and embedded into the average gamer's nostalgia bank, and as such it will forever be beloved. If it had come out on the SNES with pixel art, noone would be discussing it today. FF VI did come out on the SNES with pixel art, and is often discussed as a potential for one of the best RPG's of all time, and I think it deserves notoriety for that.

In summary, I want a beer and a steak.
ha that was actually an awesome writeup. I really enjoy IX and it's probably my second favorite but that only because I haven't played VI again since maturing enough to even understand it. I was young when it came out and I think most of it just flew over my head cuz I don't remember hardly anything. Maybe we should play that next while waiting for FFVII inevitable PS5 version.

Appreciate the input! Cheers Mate!

Pantz

Co-pilot it with a strategy guide. Have her play and you on the guide telling her where to find secrets and when to steal stuff. Only thing is you will probably be locked in for the full playthrough, unlikely she would want to go it alone.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Sad, but probably true.
I have extreme nostalgia for Zelda OoT and MM, as well as Castlevania SotN. I understand how hard it is if you want to convey the feelings you have to someone else to make them understand how special it is. But if they weren’t there back then they will never get there, times have just changed too much.

If I was OP i would rather have her enjoy FF7R while telling her how it felt back then and showing her occasionally images to make her see how things developed since back in the day.

Last edited:

Garnox

I say let her play the Remake first.

If she likes it and wants to know what happens next after the cliff hanger ending, have her play the OG one or have her watch you speed run play it.

That way y'all get to enjoy it together and then when Part 2 comes out, she can see the differences.

sublimit

Banned
I'm actually not sure if she is even aware of Cosplaying tbh... I wonder if introducing her to that world will unlock some weird stuff in our relationship when I find her deep on Reddit looking at them at 2am 😂
Put on a Cloud wig and wear one of her dresses and tell her that this is the game that made you the man you are today.

Jeeves

Just have her play one of the re-releases that lets you toggle off random battles or play 3X speed. I never played much of the original and I just bought the Switch edition on sale the other day, and those features are a total game-changer that makes it waaaay more palatable to play.

Dthomp

Just put OG in and have her try it. I was my first introduction to the RPG genre when it released and made me an RPG fan for life after that. Graphics don't mean shit, the game holds up. Tell her it's good, just that it might take a couple hours to really sink into it and begin fully enjoying it. If she plays the remake first it may make it even harder for her to go back and enjoy the original if she's one of those silly graphics are everything types. Things that occur or reoccur were more fun after playing OG. I'd still take OG over remake today, so just simply put it in and let her decide if she likes it.

Bragr

Banned
Accept that old Final Fantasy games is outdated and not good to play for new players and it's only your nostalgia telling you it's useful to play the old games.

Kokoloko85

She loved Super Mario RPG, which was a legitimately good game and had brilliant comedic writing, so she honestly deserves better than the weeb trash that is the remake, and the original was honestly never that good either. FF X, these are all much better games that I imagine she'd probably enjoy more.

You entitled to your own opinion but FF X and Mario RPG arent as good as FF 7 lol.
The rest you have a point, I prefer Suikoden 2 and FF9, FF4, Vagrant story, FF tactics etc.
Mario RPG was funny but a drag.
FF X is great but not on the level of FF 7

I just came to say that, again its all opinion haha.
But I never understand people putting Mario RPG on the same level as Earthbound, FF4,5,6 Chrono Trigger, Secret of Evermore and Terranigma etc

To OP, let her play FF 7 remake. She will never get the same feels we did playing the original

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Let her play the remake first. When it ends and she thinks it's so amazing that she can't wait for part 2 to come out, then let her play the original to find out what happens in the full game.

Tschumi

I'm my case it would be "remember that kinda beautiful final fantasy game we played on the ps4 pro? Well let's play the same game with -20 years graphics and less funny schtuff!"

Tschumi

I think mate, if you haven't found it out by now, trying to transplant nostalgia to a life partner who has gotten used to you is a waste of time.. unless it's ghibli, in my experience~ should be building new nostalgia... don't force her to live in the 90s for your own kicks

Top Bottom