• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to future proof my PC gaming rig?

dcx4610

It's all about the GPU these days. CPU performance hasn't changed too dramatically and 16GB is still ahead of the curve for memory.

For your GPU, I would just look into a RTX 2070. It's last gen tech but it's powerful and you'd be set at least 5+ years running games at high frame rates at 1080p.

The 3060 just got announced today as well for $329 and it's likely going to be equal or better than the 2070 if you can find one.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It's all about the GPU these days. CPU performance hasn't changed too dramatically and 16GB is still ahead of the curve for memory.
Not necessarily. It's a combination of GPU and CPU Your CPU will bottleneck your GPU if they don't complement each other. A 3080 will be gimped at certain resolutions without the appropriately capable CPU.

Garibaldi

I can't see any games in the next 3 or so years causing the latest GPUs problems if you are planning on sticking to 1080/60. The new 30 series RTX cards are monsters and will probably be more than fine. I've never had a 20 series card but I'd assume they will probably be ok too.

Why do you want to stick to 1080 though? Nothing like a new screen and nice resolution jump.

poodaddy

Your rig's fine honestly. Just pick up an RTX 3060 or something similar and you'll have far more GPU grunt than necessary for 1080p/60 in pretty much any game. Your ram is honestly fine, but you could go up to 32 gb at some point for an easy upgrade. Your CPU's fine and will remain fine for a long while yet. Are you on SSD? That's the most immediate "feeling" upgrade path you can take on PC, the whole system, including game applications, just immediately feels much snappier on an SSD, so if you're still on mechanical maybe consider upgrading to SSD. That's literally it, you've got a good machine there man.

Last edited:

Korranator

I got my current PC around three years ago and I thinking of upgrading parts of it. I would like these upgrades to allow my to play the latest releases for the next three years or so. I don't need the latest releases to look the best they could possibly look - as long as the rig can comfortably play the games smoothly that is good enough for me. Here are my current specs -

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16318MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Display Memory: 11146 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2988 MB
Shared Memory: 8158 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Any suggestions?

Edit- I am happy to play at 1080p 60 frames a second
Honestly, wait till 2021 or even 2022. When PCIE5.0, DDR5, and USB 4.0 are released. Till then there really isn't a damn thing gaming wise that is pushing any of the current tech that screams buy now. By then you just might start seeing games using Unreal 5.0.

For now parts for new tech is complete chaos. Expect prices to increase even further. Their is a shortage in metals and rare earth metals, and it isn't going to change in the near future. Thanks to our asshole politicians for trying to import everything from China, and shutting down American mining.

Last edited:

Ladioss

God, you people are so full of shit it almost stinks to read.

I didn't want to sound disdainful - but yes, I believe that chasing the perfect, future-proof Pc config can be a (costly) fool's errand, and targeting relevant, tactical upgrades can be more cost efficient on the long run (as well as more fun).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nope, M2 slot but (slow) SATA interface. AVOID

There is no use for PCIE5 currently (and next few years), maybe SSD speeds (but we don't even see much usage of PCIE3 drives)?

By PCIe 5.0 SSD's will reach 32GB/s, which is as fast or close to DDR4 dual channel RAM's! So GPU efficiency will jump crazy high and should expect the death of traditional LOD systems by then.

Top Bottom