• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to future proof my PC gaming rig?

Physiocrat

I got my current PC around three years ago and I thinking of upgrading parts of it. I would like these upgrades to allow my to play the latest releases for the next three years or so. I don't need the latest releases to look the best they could possibly look - as long as the rig can comfortably play the games smoothly that is good enough for me. Here are my current specs -

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16318MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Display Memory: 11146 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2988 MB
Shared Memory: 8158 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Any suggestions?

Edit- I am happy to play at 1080p 60 frames a second

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Anything that would give you another 3yrs use out of it, basically a new GPU....you can't buy, even if you wanted too.

Last edited:
Sell your current gpu, buy the next 3060 when it is released, will give you the same Rasterizing performance and better RT than next gen consoles, that without include DLSS

Last edited:

Eliciel

Mine is future proof: ever since I started running a 560Ti I focussed more on gardening! Nothing can happen to my rig, Virtual Chess ain't stand a chance, 1gb VRAM is kicking the living shit out of my casual game habit and games like DBZ FighzerZ run smooth!

On topic: no chance staying future proof, your wallet is going to melt son. But, maybe just stay between 720p-1080p and you'll be fine for a long time.

Having said that, anything but processors is really not the time to buy right now...overall, prices are just ridiculous, good bang for buck would be sth. Like and 3600 + 3060ti ...but for msrp..and not 899€..

Looking at your rig you're fine on 1080p to be honest.

Last edited:

Dampf

An RTX GPU, regardless which one, will ensure your system to run next gen games nicely.

CPU will be enough for a little while. But in true next gen games, CPUs below 12 Threads could struggle.

GHG

With the platform you have now you can't unfortunately.

You can thank Intel for that and their scheme of forcing motherboard upgrades with each new generation of CPU.

Physiocrat

I was looking at the 2060S and 2070 and they're both out of stock. Is this due to the semiconductor issue similar to the PS5? Anyone any idea when this will get back to normal?

GHG

I was looking at the 2060S and 2070 and they're both out of stock. Is this due to the semiconductor issue similar to the PS5? Anyone any idea when this will get back to normal?

Yeh the semiconductor shortage is having an impact on all chips at the moment.

It's expected to continue until Q3/Q4 this year.

Also don't get a 2060/2070, try to find a 3060 or a 3070 if you can at the moment.

sunnysideup

Banned
I doubt a current high end pc will play future games at a reasonable pace in 4-5 years.

i have an OC rx 6800. And i have problems playing current high end games 60fps/4k maxed out.

Playing games on a struggeling pc is a much worse exprience than 30fps on console.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
There is not much use to buy 2070/s because they are not going to be much cheaper than 3060/3070. Sadly the prices are mess and even used market is wild. I recently sold my 1050ti, which I have in some box in cellar for more than I bought it in 2017.

Armorian

Banned
You should try to grab 3060 (25.02?) or 6700XT when they lauch, this is the only moment when prices could be close to "normal".

As for CPU, 7700k is still fine for 60fps in most games, lack of threads will be a problem in the future.

Orta

Banned
There is not much use to buy 2070/s because they are not going to be much cheaper than 3060/3070. Sadly the prices are mess and even used market is wild. I recently sold my 1050ti, which I have in some box in cellar for more than I bought it in 2017.

Out of interest I just had a look at my card on ebay, with GPU prices being crazy I thought I might be surprised and see it selling for almost €200 (I paid about €380 back in Sep 2016)

Fucking hell!!! :messenger_open_mouth:

Last edited:
I doubt a current high end pc will play future games at a reasonable pace in 4-5 years.

i have an OC rx 6800. And i have problems playing current high end games 60fps/4k maxed out.

Playing games on a struggeling pc is a much worse exprience than 30fps on console.
That is why you should bought nvida rtx. DLSS is black magic.

Rikkori

Be on the lookout for the RTX 3060 coming next week iirc, that might actually be gotten at MSRP but you gotta be on the ball to snap one up. You're not gonna be able to casually buy it when you decide to check randomly. GPU shortage will affect the market for the rest of 2021.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Out of interest I just had a look at my card on ebay, with GPU prices being crazy I thought I might be surprised and see it selling for almost €200 (I paid about €380 back in Sep 2016)

Fucking hell!!! :messenger_open_mouth:
Well recently 1050ti production has been ramped up again and nVidia made price higher, I think this is not the case with other 10XX cards.

Well 1080Ti is still really expensive, because is by far the best card for mining, due to large VRAM.

Armorian

Banned

If you don't have VRR monitor you are basically fucked on PC. Gsync/Freesync is a must, SO MUCH better experience when 40fps is still smooth.

its just upscaling.

Consoles are going to be doing that as well.

Nope, it's not upscaling but Ai reconstruction. And consoles won't be using same method that Nvidia does, same goes for AMD GPUs in general.

Last edited:
its just upscaling.

Consoles are going to be doing that as well.
Yes it is upscaling but with minimal visual difference than native resolution, even at some case better visual than native.

Nobody ever do that before, most upscaling will make game Blurrier, like PS checkerboard. Nvidia is cheating with their AI.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
new gpu and make sure you have an SSD. you should be fine for 1080p 60fps. for the gpu don't go overkill because you will be bottlenecked with that 7700K. you'd basically be just throwing money away...unless you spent more money on a new CPU. get something a bit more powerful but not insanely more powerful. at a minimum i'd recommend an RTX 2060 for the DLSS goodness. DLSS is incredible and free performance. a 2060 would be a good boost over a 1060 3gb

for anyone building a new PC today wanting to future proof. just don't do it. new tech is coming soon (DDR5, PCIE 5.0) so people should definitely wait for that before building a new PC.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Yes it is upscaling but with minimal visual difference than native resolution, even at some case better visual than native.

Nobody ever do that before, most upscaling will make game Blurrier, like PS checkerboard. Nvidia is cheating with their AI.

DLSS fixes shit like TAA ghosting and lack of alpha textures coverage (like in Control, DS).

JimboJones

You say that like consoles will guarantee a locked 30fps 4k experience.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

PC doesn't have Gsync/freesync? And can't lock to 30fps if you (sadly) want? Plus OP is playing at 1080p.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Be on the lookout for the RTX 3060 coming next week iirc, that might actually be gotten at MSRP but you gotta be on the ball to snap one up. You're not gonna be able to casually buy it when you decide to check randomly. GPU shortage will affect the market for the rest of 2021.
I think I might wait to 2022 then. I'm not desperate at the moment.

Kumomeme

but good long term cpu and make sure your motherboard support gen 4 ssd. so it less hassle to upgrade the specs. just buy new gpu or fast ssd.

but still, gaming trend could change in short time. like half generation before, word like Raytracing is like some kind of foreign word. now, its one of main things.

sunnysideup

Banned
You say that like consoles will guarantee a locked 30fps 4k experie
Even if they are not coding to the metal like they used to. They still can customise console development to a degree that is not possible on a pc.

according to google radeon 7850 is about what is in ps4. Here is a sample benchmark of radeon 7850:

This is not the current ps4 experience.

JimboJones

Even if they are not coding to the metal like they used to. They still can customise console development to a degree that is not possible on a pc.

according to google radeon 7850 is about what is in ps4. Here is a sample benchmark of radeon 7850:

This is not the current ps4 experience.

Yes those "customizations" of lowering resolutions, effects and framerate.

JimboJones

If he wants to keep up that spec for the next 2 years when the crossgen bullshit stops then he absolutely will need it. Unless he wants to play old games or play new games on a mix of low/medium.
But a 6core 12thread 3600 is a better gaming cpu than a 2700, I don't think you specifically need 8 core 16 threads.

BlackGauna

Right now is a really bad time to upgrade your PC. GPU prices way too high right now.

And upgrading your CPU is also not a wise choice, at least for "future-proofing". AMD has released their final CPU line for the current AM4 socket. It would not be wise to upgrade to a Zen 3 because AM4 is a dead end.

It would be smarter to wait for the next AMD socket (AM5?). If AMD supports the next socket for as long as the current one, you could upgrade your CPU again without having to buy a new motherboard, and possibly RAM.

Dr_Salt

But a 6core 12thread 3600 is a better gaming cpu than a 2700, I don't think you specifically need 8 core 16 threads.
As it is of my understaning the ps5 is rocking something similar to a 3700x. Personally I wouldn't go with anything less than that if I was trying to future proof.
I could be wrong tho so correct me if I am.

Ladioss

By order of priority :
- Upgrade your GPU, preferably to a RTX-based chip.
- If you haven't already, invest into a PCIe SSD (maybe not now but it *will* get more and more critical in the coming years)
- And upgrade your memory to 32 Go.
You should be fine for a good part of the gen then.

You can't. Thank me later.

Technically, yes, you can. If you are willing to buy a whole new PC every six months :messenger_grinning:

But yeah, basically a good PC is a WIP. If you want a static configuration, buy a console.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

Your CPU isn't that old yet and 16gb ram should still be good for a bit, especially at 1080p.

GTX1060 is what holds you down, but..probably best to hold out until next year.. prices & availability are really bad right now. Just play indie and backlog games?

sunnysideup

Banned
haha what?
When port a game to a set hardware like a console. You can customise on whole other level. You are not just setting the settings for the game as a whole. But you can change the settings for a specific part of the game. For an example you can remove the transparencies in the fire cave that put to much of a burden on the system in the fire cave. But you can keep them in the rest of the game where they are not a problem.

whereas on pc you have to dial down it completely or suffer bad framerate in the cave. This is what good porting is.

When port a game to a set hardware like a console. You can customise on whole other level. You are not just setting the settings for the game as a whole. But you can change the settings for a specific part of the game. For an example you can remove the transparencies in the fire cave that put to much of a burden on the system in the fire cave. But you can keep them in the rest of the game where they are not a problem.

whereas on pc you have to dial down it completely or suffer bad framerate in the cave. This is what good porting is.
Never heard something like that. I know there are dynamic resolution, a method that developer could program the game so when the game is demanding it will automatically lower the resolution on console. But for lower the quality setting at certain area of game that demanding then back at normal setting when it is not demanding again, never heard of that. most of time the quality game setting at console always same through entire game. Maybe you can point me game that use that method?

Top Bottom