• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How streaming services have changed industries in the past

jose4gg

First, I know, this looks like a "sophisticated" attack at Gamepass, I want to be 100% clear that I think Gamepass has its pros, and by no means I would like MS to fail at implementing it. But sometimes we see comparisons between movies and music with Gamepass, like Theaters/Spotify and Netflix. Please watch these videos and see how the industries have moved because of streaming services, and please give your opinion if you think the same can happen with Gamepass or similar gaming services.

Kuranghi

I don't care about the GP angle but going by the Beyonce clip its mental how not often I find an album I like 80% of the tracks on these days. I think its super rare to LOVE every track on an album but even with my 80% caveat I find it hard to do that these days. I've just ordered a bunch of old records from 15 years ago, mid life crisis is starting early!

I think I'm just going to have to accept that I'm old and the world moved on to styles and genres I don't like as much:

Very Funny Oops GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

...orrrrr I need to join some fanny music club, they'll show me the secret amazing tunes I've been missing I just know it! *gulp*

Other mediums aren't videogames. I'm not saying others won't consider streaming "good enough", but I won't use it except as a last resort.

Videogames are an interactive medium where input latency differences of thousandths of a second can make a difference. I will always opt for actual hardware for gaming.

reinking

Gold Member
Yes. It can and will happen if all console makers start relying on streaming services. We're starting to see it with the microtransaction era and streaming with "games as a service" models will make it worse. Why would a publisher risk millions on making a big single player game when they can feed streaming and service games with less risk? I have nothing against Game Pass and will continue to support it as long as I see it as value. I just hope Sony and Nintendo stay the course and remain "console" makers first.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yes. It can and will happen if all console makers start relying on streaming services. We're starting to see it with the microtransaction era and streaming with "games as a service" models will make it worse. Why would a publisher risk millions on making a big single player game when they can feed streaming and service games with less risk? I have nothing against Game Pass and will continue to support it as long as I see it as value. I just hope Sony and Nintendo stay the course and remain "console" makers first.

Sorry to say, but streaming plus subscription is the future.

Not long from now, Sony, MS and Nintendo will be sub/stream only services.

This is also a good thing for the public. No longer will we need to splash out £70 for the biggest release, but we'll be able to play everything with just a small, monthly sub.

I know I keep harping on about this, but I'm really excited about this revolutionary future.

reinking

Gold Member

This is also a good thing for the public. No longer will we need to splash out £70 for the biggest release, but we'll be able to play everything with just a small, monthly sub.

I know I keep harping on about this, but I'm really excited about this revolutionary future.
I can't be excited about a future if I know publishers/developers will be taking the easy way out for cash instead of making great single player experiences. I look at the phone market and weep. I'm older now and I have had a great run in gaming since video gaming has been around. It is not going to hurt my feelings if the younger crowd likes this move to streaming. It is just not the future I would choose (of course I could be wrong on how it will all work out in the end).

Pejo

Not to offend, but I disagree with every single point you are making.

When game ownership takes the backseat, people will treat games even more as more disposable than they do now. This will ripple into development, where indies will be disheartened from making that passion project for 1/125th of a cent every month from GamePass 2.0. Meanwhile you'll have stagnation of genres and IPs, which we're already seeing. The big players will eat up the majority of the revenue for the subscription model, and the homogenization of genres and game types will ensure that only one or two of them will even be "Successful" by corporate metrics, meaning earning ridiculous enough sums of money to make the ever-greedy investors happy.

The overall quality of games will suffer as a result, DLC and microtransactions will not stop, and will likely increase with them becoming normalized and accepted in the community at large.

The only thing that could save gaming, in my opinion, is a huge crash, and for major investors and casual gamers to leave in large numbers, so it could get back to the enthusiasts that originally made it a fun hobby. With Netflix and Hollywood sticking their dirty shitty fingers into gaming now though, it's more unlikely than ever that it will happen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Music and video are passive experiences where it doesn't matter if the source medium is local or in the cloud. The same cannot be said about video games, which are interactive and require near-instant input response to feel good.

Streaming will grow, but I don't see it actually replacing local computing anytime soon.

TonyK

That sounds great if the quality would be the same, but if Netflix has shown something to us is that film quality goes down hill when films are created only for streaming.

A future of only streaming videogames sounds terrifying regarding quality and scope.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
An only streaming future sounds like the worst possible one when it comes to gaming. Right now we really don’t own our games anymore either. We are merely buying a license to play the software on a given platform. The owner is the publisher.

I guess the only way to ensure we get great games is to stop playing crap. Play good games only.

NahaNago

Streaming is definitely the future even for gaming. As soon as it becomes good enough for your average non-neogaf gamer then I can see it blowing up especially if the price is right. I do think that it will change the games that will be made to either much smaller experiences which I'm fine with to mmo like games that start out with very little content but gets updates every month.

When it comes to things like netflix though I'm surprised we don't get more shorter films. I would think that it would be the perfect place to have them since your paying for a subscription.

For streaming music thought that is just a tangled nightmare for an artist I feel like. Can artist even get wealthy from streaming or do they have to solely rely on concerts.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
When I started playing games I was putting in a quarter each time I played at my local arcade.

I'm fine with adapting to a new approach if it's appealing. Currently, Gamepass is extremely appealing. I'm already 40 years old. If things do eventually decline in quality, my free time will probably decline at the same rate until I hit retirement. I'll be riding the wave at just the peak time to enjoy virtually every era of great games from arcades, to console, to handheld, to sub services at their quality peak.

A Summer To Remember Wave GIF by Hallmark Channel

You young-ins though may be screwed but I'll be 60 or 70 by then :messenger_sunglasses:. Best of luck!

reksveks

Matt Damon's complaint is that dvd revenue is dead so films need to be box office successes to break even.

Digital downloads don't exist or count. I think Matt might be misremembering dvd sales personally.

thefool

The more people you have on any industry, the more talent is diluted, the garbage the product is. It happens pretty much everywhere.

Netflix is an industrial farm of piles of shit. And there's no problem because they are on the garbage business, not the quality one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom