• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How soon can we expect AI to be used as a cheat device for gaming. Let a robot play for you.

Knightime_X

I can see it now.
One of these years, online gaming is going to be completely fucked.
We will have robots in our home helping us with whatever.

Someone is going to make a robot companion that will play games with us, and someone WILL make a robot that will play games FOR us.
I know what you're thinking. "That's stupid! Just watch a video of a game if you don't want to play it!" and you would be correct.

But that's not going to stop someone from wanting to desire skills far beyond their own limits.
Just how ridiculous will AI get?

The only limits AI has are those that will be achieved tomorrow.

Skifi28

Games made by AI so AI can play them. An interesting concept, might as well kill all humans since they are not needed (The AI, not me).

SeraphJan

A fun idea would be interaction with the AI when creating a game

Let say, I made a prototype (model 1) and let AI test it, it gives back a improved version (model 2), I then improve it again (model 3), back and forth

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Too late op.

As we've reported previously, some cheat makers have used these tools as part of an intricate external computer-vision-assisted toolchain that detects enemy targets before automatically and instantly sending the appropriate input command to aim and fire at them (Bungie also calls out the "advanced macros" and "automation via artificial intelligence" that make these cheats work). These external cheats can evade some standard anti-cheat software-detection tools since all of the processing and illicit input comes from a completely separate device from the one running the game itself.

qbxwhi

I can see it now.
One of these years, online gaming is going to be completely fucked.
We will have robots in our home helping us with whatever.

Someone is going to make a robot companion that will play games with us, and someone WILL make a robot that will play games FOR us.
I know what you're thinking. "That's stupid! Just watch a video of a game if you don't want to play it!" and you would be correct.

But that's not going to stop someone from wanting to desire skills far beyond their own limits.
Just how ridiculous will AI get?

The only limits AI has are those that will be achieved tomorrow.

I thought this video was interesting:

Griffon

Imagine playing a game that's like a MMO, meeting players, making friends, doing raids and all that... except everything and everybody is AI and tailor-made for you.

No need to worry about cheats anymore, because in no time we wont even need real human players.

Last edited:
Imagine playing a game that's like a MMO, meeting players, making friends, doing raids and all that... except everything and everybody is AI and tailor-made for you.

No need to worry about cheats anymore, because in no time we wont even need real human players.
The only people who would be sad about that would be the Griefers who need real humans to suffer to feel good.

Comandr

If the AI in question is indistinguishable from humans, or perhaps, better because they aren't all assholes, could potentially subscribe to given server rules like RP servers or whatever, it might actually massively improve the experience.

Kataploom

Gold Member
That is a GREAT idea, now kids don't have to play, they can be able to just watch just as if they were watching their favorite streamer play! :O

Games doesn't are mostly deterministic and assuming that a bot can see the entirety of the game state normal rule based bots can win 100% of the time in most games.

LLMs won't really improve any cheat that we have currently as it is design primarily to understand semantic logic and predict the best token sequence that corresponde to a previously defined set of tokens (prompts).

Roni

Gold Member
Cheaters will one day literally derive their pleasure from watching a bot they're running on their PC kill other players.

Elitro

Won't be long, but if the AI is that good, and that indetectable, then the good news is you'll just be able to go offline with your own bots/private matches and still have a great experience.
Exactly.

In the future you will be able to play 'multiplayer' games with AI bots with personalities chosen by you, and even if you lose you can always prevent them from constantly griefing or maybe even have them give you some tips on how to improve? Sounds great to me 😁

Dutchy

I'm surprised there hasn't been some sort of software that saves and neatly stitches together input commands for specific games that other people can just copy and paste for the sake of trophy hunting.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
A fun idea would be interaction with the AI when creating a game

Let say, I made a prototype (model 1) and let AI test it, it gives back a improved version (model 2), I then improve it again (model 3), back and forth
It would quickly tire of your far inferior contributions and determine the best game would be made without you and then that the world would be better off without you…… 😱

SeraphJan

It would quickly tire of your far inferior contributions and determine the best game would be made without you and then that the world would be better off without you…… 😱
Game's are for human to enjoy, even if my input is flawed, that is exactly what the AI needed, A game completely made by AI would be too symmetric, I'm adding a bit of human flavor, the" inferiority" is exactly my contribution

Last edited:
That's a significantly more complicated thing to pull of compared to ChatGPT. Don't be silly.
Is it?
I'd have guessed games have rather simple rules compared to the creativity and knowledge required to create a coherent text.
Path finding might have been a neglected area since UT bots, but that was already sort of competent 20+ years ago, on slow single core processors. Aiming is probably easy to do perfectly, just needs to be dialed down to human level. Tactics, work with your team, learning the important spots, might be the only thing that is a bit harder but I guess time and some 100 rounds and an AI should know what to do, especially if it learns from other players and not just from itself and its own errors which would naturally be different than how humans learn.

Turing Tests will be more and more interesting soon I guess. Or could already pass in certain activities.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Is it?
I'd have guessed games have rather simple rules compared to the creativity and knowledge required to create a coherent text.
Path finding might have been a neglected area since UT bots, but that was already sort of competent 20+ years ago, on slow single core processors. Aiming is probably easy to do perfectly, just needs to be dialed down to human level. Tactics, work with your team, learning the important spots, might be the only thing that is a bit harder but I guess time and some 100 rounds and an AI should know what to do, especially if it learns from other players and not just from itself and its own errors which would naturally be different than how humans learn.

Turing Tests will be more and more interesting soon I guess. Or could already pass in certain activities.
I mean, it's a different thing to install a plugin and trying to change the fundamental parts of the game such as bot AI. I don't think it would even be possible without the source code.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I'd like to see AI NPCs in online games. They can start out being trained on some general set but learn to react to players based on past interactions. This might actually make online games enjoyable enough to get past the forced grinding to incentivize MTX bullshit..

I mean, it's a different thing to install a plugin and trying to change the fundamental parts of the game such as bot AI. I don't think it would even be possible without the source code.
Self driving cars sort of work, without a "source code". That's the point of actual AI and deep learning, isn't it? Not just know where enemies are, because they read the code, but actually have to search for mission goals and targets and everything the same way humans do, with a field of view, object detection, processing/reaction times and act accordingly.

No fan of MP generally anyway, but considering how bad some online games are, I'd rather play with AI enemies anyway. Traditional hard programmed AI or maybe future actual AIs. Last MP session I dared to try was Assetto Corsa. Out of the 10 drivers on the track probably only 5 really did play like it is supposed to be done. Ride even disables contact as default because there it would inevitably be carnage unless the whole field is among the best players.

A future, where my artificial enemies are tailored to challenge exactly me just at the right amount, without boring me and also not frustrate me too much, is certainly looking better than whatever we have right now.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wouldn't be so sure. Automation of a thing doesn't necessarily require access to source code to change how the system works. Studying inputs and outputs is usually enough to devise ways of interacting with it. It's how many systems are compromised. I'd wager the research to do it is happening somewhere right now.

With camera input or even direct video input and enough processing capability you could identify how gameplay runs and use machine learning to run predictive analysis models to determine how the game plays and interact with it using standard digital/analog controller or kb/m input to drive a game without needing access to source. Pretty much all video games, including the most popular games where people beat the toughest enemies, basically come down to the person learning the patterns the enemies use and practicing to improve their reaction time to execute their movements within those patterns. An AI using ML could do that.

With enough practice at online multiplayer a predictive model could learn the most common tactics human players use when playing a game and create a database of countermeasures that an AI could access when playing. The best online players use some form of strategy to win. Strategy can be analyzed. Inexperienced players running around in random ways are usually the first ones picked off by more experienced players. Then better strategies overtake worse ones. Most of the time the best strategies win. An AI with access to a database of those strategies and most effective countermeasures could get good enough to beat most human players.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I wouldn't be so sure. Automation of a thing doesn't necessarily require access to source code to change how the system works. Studying inputs and outputs is usually enough to devise ways of interacting with it. It's how many systems are compromised. I'd wager the research to do it is happening somewhere right now.

With camera input or even direct video input and enough processing capability you could identify how gameplay runs and use machine learning to run predictive analysis models to determine how the game plays and interact with it using standard digital/analog controller or kb/m input to drive a game without needing access to source. Pretty much all video games, including the most popular games where people beat the toughest enemies, basically come down to the person learning the patterns the enemies use and practicing to improve their reaction time to execute their movements within those patterns. An AI using ML could do that.

With enough practice at online multiplayer a predictive model could learn the most common tactics human players use when playing a game and create a database of countermeasures that an AI could access when playing. The best online players use some form of strategy to win. Strategy can be analyzed. Inexperienced players running around in random ways are usually the first ones picked off by more experienced players. Then better strategies overtake worse ones. Most of the time the best strategies win. An AI with access to a database of those strategies and most effective countermeasures could get good enough to beat most human players.
Typical game hacks are API plugins that can only read and modify the data that's being output by the game through video or game controllers. I find it hard to believe that you could actually create a successful hack based on machine learning program that would play the game and simply learn the behavior of bots and NPCs or even players themselves without having access to source code to see how the in-game AI is actually built. I mean, maybe some form of it could be possible but I doubt it would be effective enough to actually be able to play the game flawlessly for you. At best it would be like those bots in World of Warcraft that can perform some mundane tasks like farming gold or something.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't seem like machine learning is quite there yet.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
At that point, just watch a playthrough on YouTube or Twitch.
Same thing with a lot less hassle.

What I wanna see is NPCs in videogames being powered by A.I.
Being able to have the semblance of an actual conversation would take RPGs one step closer to their tabletop counterparts.

Top Bottom