• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How so you deal with missing items when ordering takeout?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Had some sauce missing (again) and i tipped the delivery guy. Called. Got someone unable to speak Dutch: fine I guess. No apologies and he hanged up on me.

I call back mentioning it isn't the first time. And I tipped. And just waited for a response saying sorry or anything really

10 seconds of silence go by I hung up.

Called again asking for a manager. "He's here tomorrow" Sure.

Can't stand this. It's Wednesday FFS

Any takeout horror stories?

👻

Last edited:

Pejo

If it's through doordash, contact support on the app and get a refund.

Otherwise, there is no winning condition for you, so just let it go, unfortunately.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I can't refund tho.

They just don't care.

Should check my order at the door next time.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

And I don't order from them again.

SJRB

Gold Member
Depends on how important the missing item is.

I've called a restaurant about a missing item before and they usually immediately bring the missing thing plus some extras.

Best you can do is leave a trash review at Thuisbezorgd, I guess.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I phone and complain and they say they will give me the missing item next time. I either completely forget, or the few times I have actually returned it takes 20 minutes for them to believe you are not trying to scam them.
For grubhub etc I just contact customer service and complain.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Depends on how important the missing item is.

I've called a restaurant about a missing item before and they usually immediately bring the missing thing plus some extras.

Best you can do is leave a trash review at Thuisbezorgd, I guess.
I did. Be the dude could hardly speak dutch. Bleh.

TheContact

In all of my cases they told me to drive to the store to pick it up. They wouldn’t send another driver out or would say it would take hours. I don’t use DoorDash.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I do all takeaways through apps/aggregators now so I just complain to them and they refund you the price of said item or if its a really bad fuck up they usually give me all the money back as a credit. Sometimes they do the latter automatically if the order is really late.

This is Uber Eats, Just Eat and Deliveroo in the UK.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I do all takeaways through apps/aggregators now so I just complain to them and they refund you the price of said item or if its a really bad fuck up they usually give me all the money back as a credit. Sometimes they do the latter automatically if the order is really late.

This is Uber Eats, Just Eat and Deliveroo in the UK.

Sounds great

Kuranghi

Lifes too short to get worried about miniscule things, living in modern societies where you get people to make and send food to you for a relatively low cost, I'm not saying you should put up with constant bad service but I'd just find somewhere else than give a second of extra thought to issues like this.

In times like these, let us not forget the words of Matsuoka Shuzo:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I just suck it up. I used to have a popeyes fuck up my order every time so I decided to check at the drive thru to make sure everything was there.

Nowadays this place skimps on the sauce so i tells them in advance and they are nice enough to give me an extra sauce packet.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It depends on the size of the fuck up. If it's like something gets included that I didn't order and someone in my house is allergic, that's an in person visit.

If it's sauce missing or whatever, shit happens.

One time I ordered a chicken sandwich from a Sheetz. Super complex order, certain kind of cheese, bun, etc. Real particular like. They nailed it, completely. But forgot the chicken. Shit like that flies me into an unnatural rage, but...

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It was just some sauce. But it's the culmination of recent fuck ups. Friday. Saturday. Sunday. Sure. But Wednesday? No apologies?

The thing is. Even when I speak to a "manager" nothing will happen.

End rant

Kacho

Gold Member
One time I ordered a chicken sandwich from a Sheetz. Super complex order, certain kind of cheese, bun, etc. Real particular like. They nailed it, completely. But forgot the chicken. Shit like that flies me into an unnatural rage, but...
Lol yeah I’m the same. When my wife was pregnant she was craving a McDonald’s cheeseburger so I went out a grabbed a couple. Came home and both didn’t have meat. It was just the buns, cheese and a pickle. She was like, “it’s fine. Don’t worry about it.”

I snatched the burger from her hand, hopped in the car and gave that manager an ear full. I was livid. Ended up getting a refund and some proper burgers.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Lol yeah I’m the same. When my wife was pregnant she was craving a McDonald’s cheeseburger so I went out a grabbed a couple. Came home and both didn’t have meat. It was just the buns, cheese and a pickle. She was like, “it’s fine. Don’t worry about it.”

I snatched the burger from her hand, hopped in the car and gave that manager an ear full. I was livid. Ended up getting a refund and some proper burgers.

It just seems like...borderline brain dead to me. Like, you forgot a squirt of ketchup or an onion, whatever. But to forget the actual MEAT in a sandwich. It's such a gross bastardization of the sandwich making process that I think it would take MORE effort to fuck it up

Billbofet

Not long ago, my wife picked up an order at Panera. They have it so you take it off a shelf near the dining room for pickup. She checked the order and noticed it was missing two soups that she and my daughter had ordered.
It really stood out as the entire order was two soups and two sandwiches. She took it up to the counter and brought it to the clerk's attention. Instead of apologizing or making any effort to figure it out, she said, "Oh, we ran out of that soup. Did you really want it?"
Still was charged the full amount, including the soup, but the clerk was irritated when my wife asked about a substitute or a refund.
Like, because they ran out, that is the extent of any and all effort they were willing to make at Panera.
Oh well, that place is shit anyway. I remember listening to a Doughboys podcast a while back and they described it as something like hospital food in a bland, non-offensive environment. Sums it up about perfect.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Most of my takeout comes from small family owned places, so in the rare circumstance that they forget something they're always cool about giving me credit for next time. I've even had my entire next order comped at my favorite Chinese joint just because they forgot my small $4-$5 order of chicken teriyaki as a side.

Otherwise, at chains like Jason's Deli, I just check my order before I leave and be polite about it. I worked food service / hospitality, it sucks, so seeing some annoyance by the employees is to be expected - unless they're a rare asshole, they're probably annoyed with certain people they work with who aren't pulling their weight and tend to fuck up a lot. It's almost never the customer they're annoyed at, unless you're being an asshole to them.

AJUMP23

If I catch it I just ask for them to fix it. If I get home and don’t have it, I just hope it isn’t my wife’s food that is wrong.

Once I leave the place I rarely go back in. But if an order is messed up I make sure to double check every time.

I just suck it up. I used to have a popeyes fuck up my order every time so I decided to check at the drive thru to make sure everything was there.

Nowadays this place skimps on the sauce so i tells them in advance and they are nice enough to give me an extra sauce packet.
Popeyes must hire retards because I have this happen a lot with them too especially when I use Uber Eats. Somehow they always fuck up my order

Last edited:

lachesis

If it's a big thing (like actual dish, or drink) - I'll call them up. But if it's small thing like ketchup on the side, or hot sauce on the side - I just let it slide.
Sometimes they mess up the instructions (like setting aside certain sides apart, or extra something- like pepper or cucumber etc) - unless they charged me for it, I don't call them.

I rarely order anything from outside as I cook most things - so not much of issue for me.

Blade2.0

Got an 8 piece a week ago from a chicken joint and I only had 7. It was on the other side of the city so I just said fuck it. Upset but argh. Not worth it. My orders from door dash and GrubHub have been fucked up so many times I just stopped using them altogether

Last edited:

Soltype

i always pick up takeout myself for this very reason.Also don't tip to go orders, you can tip the driver, but not the restaurant.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Use an app with customer support. The app I use locally let you report missing items and let you choose the refund method (original payment or app credit) and it does this automatically even without contacting support.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Had some sauce missing (again) and i tipped the delivery guy. Called. Got someone unable to speak Dutch: fine I guess. No apologies and he hanged up on me.

I call back mentioning it isn't the first time. And I tipped. And just waited for a response saying sorry or anything really

10 seconds of silence go by I hung up.

Called again asking for a manager. "He's here tomorrow" Sure.

Can't stand this. It's Wednesday FFS

Any takeout horror stories?

👻
Order via Uber Eats.

Things are missing.

Report via the app.

Get the refund.

Almost never happens except McDonald's, they fuck up shit all the time.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Call/message deliveroo and let them sort it. Always either end up with a redelivery or a full refund.

That's why when ordering takeaway I will never not go through them.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I feel so stupid getting so worked up over some missing sauce. But I didn't order it for nothing!

Anyways fuck that place. And fuck my tantrum lmao.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Aesius

I handle it just like Tony Soprano.

And by that I mean I string a few expletives together and then eat my meal feeling sullen and ripped off

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I stop ordering from them. Can’t do much about missing item but sure as fuck won’t get my business again.

Thaedolus

I don’t really order delivery at all unless it’s from the local pizza establishment I think is somewhat reminiscent of Round Table, which I can’t get anymore because I don’t live in California.

I mean I make decent money but delivery just feels so decadent…not only am I feeling too lazy to make my food I can’t even get out of the house for 10 minutes to go pick it up…? I pretty much only use those apps when I’m traveling for work and it’s comp’d.

shit happens. usually i realise i'm a greedy bastard and could do without it so i see it as a good thing lol. but if you're really bothered by it then get in touch with the place you ordered or if it's through something like Just Eat/Deliveroo contact them. You might get a credit for next purchase.

if you can't solve it or if it keeps happening from a certain restaurant then stop buying from them. there was one chinese place that 99% of the time i ordered from them they always missed something out so i stopped buying from them. one time i think something was late/missing (can't remember) and Just Eat gave me either credit or a code. it was a long time ago i don't remember.

my recent purchases i've been getting extra stuff in my orders lol. i mean if i add chips (fries) to my order they put in two. sometimes it's extra fried rice. it's good of them (if it wasn't a mistake) but i can't eat too much. i'll try keep it for the next day but usually i toss it in the food waste.

Last edited:
I ain't gonna fret over a missing sauce, it is what it is. Now if an entire item is missing I'll be needing my money back for said item.

If you're using an app, don't blame the driver, they just pick up sealed orders and jet.

My restaurant stopped using the delivery apps. Half the times drivers wouldn't even show and the other half they'd get there like 45 minutes after the food was bagged and it's basically dead at that point. Add in the fact that the apps take like a 25/30% cut, and we were basically losing money, it was an easy decision to drop them.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The thing was that (most) workers there don't really speak and/or understand (in this case Dutch) the language. I already feel bad and awkward calling. So having that language barrier on top is just the cherry on a sauce less cake.

And those guys don't give a fuck. It's not some pristine highly regarded place. And that demeanor showed. Shame.

Top Bottom