• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How old are you, gamer?

how old are you, dear gamer? and are you satisfied with the state of gaming?

• Total voters
M/43/ engaged and not looking...for a console

Current Gen systems owned: of ps5 (disc) / Switch (oled) / PC (Ryzen 3600, 16gb, ssd, 3060ti)

With that combo I can play every game.

I am satisfied with indy turnout but AAA is shit this Gen. Frankly it's been going down hill since 2014 (along with so many things).

Pros:
- great indy scene
- return of roguelikes
- boomer shooter revival
- isometric bg style wrpg revival
- indy city building, sandbox, and survival games

Cons:
- AAA focus on multiplayer, f2p, battle Royale.
- AAA lack of focused fps single player games
- AAA lack of new wrpgs/jrpgs
- constant woke culty influence in AAA space
- micro transactions
- no arena shooter multiplayer (Ala quake, unreal torn,)
- no half life 3
- too many f2p battle Royale games.
- to much cash shops
- lack of new ip
- less releases

Honestly I feel like we peaked in the ps360 Era for new games. It feels like a trickle in the AAA space compared to that Gen. Even the ps4/xbone Gen we didn't get many AAA games but now it's even less. Ps3(for example just in first party) had 3 resistance games, 2 infamous, 2 kill one, 3 lbp, 3 motorstorms, and a tone of unique first part games. 3rd party was banging out new ip and sequels - dead space, bioshock, skate, etc..

PC indy, early access and AA space is seeing thr most growth. This is where new ideas prosper. It's just sad we don't see any new AAA here. Where are cool God games like black and white, or fps games like nolf or undying, far cry, stalker, crysis, Sims, civ? No where.

Last edited:

bootaski

42 and yes, except for the effect of the pandemic on game industry logistics. Gaming is a fixture of popular culture, there's lots of consumer demand, and there are a lot of good games being made.

RyRy93

29 and not particularly, it seems that the developers and the franchises I like are shrinking all the time due to stale, predictable and often botched releases.

This problem is exacerbated by many games taking 5+ years to make, this could be better if there wasn't such a rabid emphasis on making the prettiest game ever made.

Of course there's plenty of indies but I don't enjoy most of them and typically they are sub 10 hour experiences so you soon fly through them.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

It's the legend himself, Barry Burton. Not sure the actor's name, it was literally some guy that Capcom saw walking on the sidewalk in Japan. He resembled the concept art and they just cold approached him and asked if he wanted to be an actor in the game.

Seems like you've never played the original Resident Evil? Highly recommend trying it out via emulation sometime. The Director's Cut is available on PS4/PS5 via the top PS+ plan and you can buy it on PS3. These versions in NA have an altered OST which is absolute shit. They also nerfed some of the enemies, and it has mandatory auto-aim. PAL version on the PSN has the original OST though, that's not a bad way to experience the game, even with auto-aim and nerfed enemies. The original 1996 release is the best version of the game, can't recommend it enough. Game is amazing.

At the very least, watch a playthrough sometime.

Also, the credits only have first names for the actors. Over the years, fans tracked the actors down. Lots of them weren't even aware of what the game was called and had never seen it before. Here's a video posted the other day, someone managed to get a few of them together and they're playing the game for the first time.

Last edited:
I'm in my mid-40s, and overall I'm pretty satisfied. I'm mostly interested in AAA SP stuff, and it seems like companies are focusing on that again. There's still too much f2p/battle pass/battle royale stuff out there for my liking (I can't think of the term, but the "we're going to dribble out content until the end of time" genre), but I don't think the situation for traditional big SP games is nearly as dire as it looked a few years ago.

H . R . 2

the results so far

Dissatisfied >> 33.9%
Satisfied >> 66.1

so one out of 3 gamers is unhappy with the current state o games

I'am a grandpa when i look at all the comments till page 6.
But yeah i still game. But not online crap...i love to play single player games and games with a great story. And i love Racing games cous i love cars...i was a "gamer" long before the first semi 3d games came out. One of my first games was Pong.
i leave it by that info.....

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
At least 3 years younger after my coming beardtrim lol and 5 years in about 6 weeks when I've lost probably something around 6 pounds. Let's gooooooo

Last edited:

Nydius

45 and I think it's both the best and worst time to be a gamer.

Best because we live in an age where there is a ridiculous amount of content being released across all major platforms between retro games, indie developers, mid-tier developers, and AAA developers. At no time before has there ever been so much choice and availability regardless of platform.

Worst because a lot of the gaming space has been overly corporatized and monetized. Too much live service bullshit, too many microtransactions, too many predatory designs that are trying to convert people from a hobby into a habit.

Shmunter

45 and I think it's both the best and worst time to be a gamer.

Best because we live in an age where there is a ridiculous amount of content being released across all major platforms between retro games, indie developers, mid-tier developers, and AAA developers. At no time before has there ever been so much choice and availability regardless of platform.

Worst because a lot of the gaming space has been overly corporatized and monetized. Too much live service bullshit, too many microtransactions, too many predatory designs that are trying to convert people from a hobby into a habit.
The culmination of which is a loss of master design by studios that had a distinct identity in specific genres such eg Creative Assembly and Arkane Studios.

From immersive sims like Dishonoured and Prey and grim and faithful adaptations of film in Alien Isolation to trendy teen multiplayer cartoon GaaS loot shooters.

Nothing more disappointing than blatant sellout coin chasing at the expense of what can be considered standout art as far as the industry goes.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

25, I think this will be my last console generation. Don't have the time to play games as I used to
believe it or not, I haven't still managed to get my hands on a PS5, and I think the next generation of consoles will most certainly be, for the most part, cloud-based, so this generation will probably be the last physical iteration

This poll made me realize I may be the only under-20 on GaF.

Jfn67N2.gif

Seriously, I take offence that teen GaF wasn't represented😤.

DZ_b_EZ

34 - I see a pretty bad future. No more physical copies. Everything is all on the console manufacturer's cloud with no consumer ownership. Triple-A gaming has devolved into trying to gate every aspect of the gameplay and squeeze every cent out of you. Half of the output is indie developed games that look uninteresting (to me).

At least there's final fantasy, forspoken, Hogwarts, and Starfield.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
47. Very happy with gaming overall. Just wish I had more time! I HAVE to play games that are so addicting I can't put it down for a while. Halo Infinite MP and SoD2 do the job pretty well. Others, I game for a sneeze and bounce.

H . R . 2

I wonder how many of those above 30 here are married?
I am 31 and single and I am already feeling my age. never get around to playing my backlog and rarely get to enjoy games as much as I used to , mostly due to lack of time AND the lack of quality in recent games

Fredrik

This poll made me realize I may be the only under-20 on GaF.

Jfn67N2.gif

Seriously, I take offence that teen GaF wasn't represented😤.
You should be proud that you act more like an adult than most. Seriously, I would never have guessed that you were a teenager when reading the thread that you don’t like platform war, there is hope for the future if there are more young ones like you 💪
I’m just an old fart, 46

TheGecko

Banned
the results so far

Dissatisfied >> 33.9%
Satisfied >> 66.1

so one out of 3 gamers is unhappy with the current state o games
That's still a lot more of us unhappy people than the woke abc brigade the company are catering to. Almost likes its an agenda!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If not for indies the industry would be hopeless.

More and more powerful hardware means more time needed to make AAA games, zero risks, fewer releases, higher prices, etc..

Indies are literally saving this industry from shitsville.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
48 turning 49 this week. Not satisfied with the state of gaming with microtransactions, forced to pay for online, and the over emphasis on graphics and framerate over fun, original content and gameplay instead of following the trend of the week.

Thats great but what we really wanna know is what the printing press was like.

You should be proud that you act more like an adult than most. Seriously, I would never have guessed that you were a teenager when reading the thread that you don’t like platform war, there is hope for the future if there are more young ones like you 💪
I’m just an old fart, 46
Thanks man.
Just seeing this.
I just tend to look at things rationally
Stuff like fighting over plastic boxes just seems funny to me when ppl can expend more brainpower on productive and reasonable discussion (gaming and others).
Like from my critical ER thread, even though we don't agree, I respect that you actually tore apart my criticism and wanted to discuss it instead of shitposting like some others.
Appreciate the shout out 👍

Last edited by a moderator:

Cynical_Aries

Gold Member
I'm 50, just bought my first Xbox recently. I went from the PS4 to Xbox series x. I'm just happy to game when I can. If any of my fellow geezers are on Xbox and play any co-op games then add me sometime. My gamertag on Xbox: Hogan1776. I just finished the tutorial on Deep Rock Galactic. If anyone wants to play sometime, shoot me a message. I play my steam games on my laptop. Hopefully, I'll get a decent gaming computer in the near future. Sometimes I can enjoy gaming more than others. As many of you, I have my own business. So, sometimes I'm too busy to game. As far as the current state of gaming. I'm happy as long as I have the opportunity to still game.

Top Bottom