• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much longer is the Epic Games Store going to keep up this timed exclusivity business?

Varteras

Gold Member
the sandlot GIF

Pejo

It's literally an online service... how exactly is an online service supposed to work... if you aren't, "transmitting data" to it?

Talk about proving my point. And LOL at the burden of proof being on me.. you linked to a steam forum post with zero real info in it.. it didn't even make any truly nefarious claims... certainly nothing backing up your claims in your post.
So in other words you're just here to stick up for Epic and use semantics to avoid having to back up anything you say. Alright. Well I'm done engaging in this one.

CitizenZ

Banned
Well those exclusivity deals must be coming with more sales #atttached. It took BL3 6 months to come to Steam and TTWL just hit steam after only 3 months of exclusivity.

Gamezone

Gold Member
But are these users spending any money? Should be the real question.

Not enough users are spending money for EGS to be profitable now, but it's increasing each year as far as I've seen, and as they continue to provide free games and add features to the store, more people will be spending their money there.

And it's a good thing, because Steam is far from a perfect store.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I'm more concerned about the silent bullshit they're doing with EOS (Epic Online Services). It's being added to even old games on Steam and is sometimes functioning as another layer of DRM, locking people out from being able to play even single player games offline. Also, it's been shown to be mining user data again just like the EGS client, in regards to your Steam account and friends list etc.

Shady as FUCK and not enough people even know about it.

*edit*

For people interested in learning more about this, here's a thread in the Steam community explaining it better than I could, and showing how to block their data miners.
Fucking pieces of shit.

Remember to cry when people start pirating again.

Last edited:
Maybe if the gamers out there would start buying games on Epic and increasing their market share then they wouldn't need exclusives and we would be freed of their menace

fuck egs tho seriously

Not enough users are spending money for EGS to be profitable now, but it's increasing each year as far as I've seen, and as they continue to provide free games and add features to the store, more people will be spending their money there.

And it's a good thing, because Steam is far from a perfect store.

Steam has problems (the 30% split is stupid) but they've also never tried too hard to directly fuck with gamers, whereas Epic is 40% owned by Tencent and it would be reasonable to assume that their end goal is to extract as much money as possible from the market. In the end I feel like it's "better the devil you know" and while competition is always good I don't exactly want Epic to be at risk of dominating (a funny thing to say now but who knows how things will change)

FStubbs

Epic has been doing this since December 2018 - pay money to have a game be a timed exclusive to their store, and then later it can be available on stores such as Steam, Origin, etc… At first even though I didn’t like it, it kinda made sense because they were a new store and they wanted to get people to start using them instead of the other more established players in the market.

However, it’s been years now. Everyone knows what the Epic Games Store is whether you love or hate them. How much longer are they going to keep doing this? I feel like everyone who wants to use the store is already using it. Is all the money they’re paying for this still worth it?

I also feel like it’s bad for the PC community because with some games (the latest being final fantasy 7 remake intergrade) it will be exclusive to consoles for a year and then it’s exclusive to the Epic Game Store for a year AFTER THAT and then it’s finally available everywhere else.

Does Epic plan to do this forever?
They'll do it until Steam has been run out of business.

Everyone should switch from Steam to EGS and see what happens.

FOR SCIENCE!

Me five years after engaging in the Only Buy Games From The Epic Game Store Challenge: "I'm really grateful for all the free games Tim threw at me— even though I never played any of them obvs— but I've got to say this EpicGamer+ subscription service for online play seems like a bad deal at £20 per month. Also why do the games all cost so much? And why is the Chinese government using my computer to mine Doge Coin??? FUCK!"

Top Bottom