• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you spend a month on electric?

anthony2690

Banned
I live in a single bedroom flat with my other half, we both work.

End off last month, I put in £75 electric and it's run out today whilst I was in the shower and I had to pop on the emergency. (I made sure to get myself out the emergency before popping on the £75)

Why the hell is it so expensive?! I'm easily popping in £80+ a month.

I don't get paid till the 28th, only a couple years back £40 would last me the month!

How much do you guys put in each month? What size is your house/flat?

Wondering if I should consider switching providers/calling up complaining, because I feel I'm paying way too much for the size of our place :l

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
£63 a month average according to the last 4 months. That's via Bulb.

It's gone down because my partner is now back in the office 4 days a week, I'm at home 4 days a week running a PC setup. TV is usually on most of an evening. No electric heating, that's a wallet killer. Our gas bills are always higher for gas central heating and the oven hobs.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
In Europe it's brutal, even though I live in a country where 70% of power is generated by nuclear (France). We pay approx. 150€ per month, but this is with washing/drying machines running practically non-stop.

Everything is electric, including the stove and the heaters.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
With a 3000sf house, upstairs with central Electric AC/Gas Heat, downstairs electric heat pump, 5 computers and tons of other electronic equipment my electric bill averages around $113/month which I'm really surprised but thankful. Gas on the other hand has went up a ton the past couple of months as it averages around $80 but last month it was $160 the largest gas bill I've ever had.

Dural

It looks like it’s about $115 in the winter and $220 in the summer. Electric for ac, natural gas for stove, dryer, and heat. Four bedroom house with two adults and four kids. My mom watches my 1 year old at our house during the week, so thermostat doesn’t go to eco mode and tv and lights are on.

I live in a single bedroom flat with my other half, we both work.

End off last month, I put in £75 electric and it's run out today whilst I was in the shower and I had to pop on the emergency. (I made sure to get myself out the emergency before popping on the £75)

Why the hell is it so expensive?! I'm easily popping in £80+ a month.

I don't get paid till the 28th, only a couple years back £40 would last me the month!

How much do you guys put in each month? What size is your house/flat?

Wondering if I should consider switching providers/calling up complaining, because I feel I'm paying way too much for the size of our place :l
Generation rent? It's the most common amongst 20 something's.

Variable. I live in a fairly large one bedroom apartment (which looks pretty nice/tasteful but seems to have piss-poor insulation) in a major US city, and in the worst winter month (January/February) the electric is $200 for the month. On the flip side, on the hotter months (July/August) it can be as low as $30 per month. So it all balances out in the end.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Spaniard here. Used to pay around 60€ but lately it has gone up to 80-100€, and I'm a single dude living on an apartment.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
It would be interesting to see what you keep your thermostats at.

Mine is at 70 during the day, at night heat goes off. My bill is around $120 in winter / $80-$100 in summer.

Rival

Gold Member
Typically averages out to probably $100 a month depending on the weather and if I’m running the heat or ac. I live alone and am honestly rarely home except to sleep at night.

MrMephistoX

In the US or even among states it’s wildly different because there’s a maddening hodgepoge of public private monopolies so pricing varies wildly. Like for example in LA county I paid probably 50% more than I am in the SF Bay Area but that’s also a bad thing because our regional monopoly PG&E is piss poor at maintenance and their shoddy equipment has been the root cause of numerous wildfires: Edison in LA doesn’t have as bad of a track record so I guess it’s possible the higher utility rates go to maintenance. Plus it seems the utility rates for having an EV is better up here.

Jon Canon

3600 kwt in december.

A cool 800 usd.

Never been worse, Norway.

Our not too bright politicians are selling our power to the continent, and in turn raising our domestic prices to ridiculous levels.

Couple that with green decisions to close nuclear power and set up windmills to compensate, crazy gas prices and Putin, it wont get better any time soon.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

2000 sf 40 year old house that was designed to be a summer place originally on cape cod. I've added insulation in the attic and knee walls on the 2nd floor. New furnace 5 years ago for forced hot water heat. Keep it around 68F.

$80-100 most months. When I was growing weed (cause it's legal in Massachusetts) I would spent $300-350 for 8 plants with AC, two large ballasts/lights, and a co2 emitter at one point.

Europeans, y'all are getting fucked on those prices. It's cold up north and my bills are significantly less.

DKehoe

Gold Member
My gas and electricity combined is £58 a month.

The bad news is you're not getting a good deal anytime soon. The prices are only going up, and are going to do so significantly.

But, since you said your price in pounds I'm guessing you are from the UK too, check out the Money Saving Expert Energy Club if you are looking to get a better deal. That's how I've gotten my last few ones.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
117 CDN$ a month for a 1200sf house with a finished basement (includes AC). 72 CDN$ for gas heating, stove, BBQ and fire pit. I redid all the windows and insulation when I moved here.

And what do you mean you "put in" OP? You need to pay in advance and you're cut out if you run out of funds?

Last edited:

Mikado

In the winter, over $700 a month T_T

(5000 sqft - all electric; no gas service available in the area)

I live by myself in a two bedroom apartment. I paid 40 euros a month last year for both electric and gas. My one year contract ended right before prices went absolutely insane. I was able to get a decent contract for 50 euros a month. After government intervention it has been reduced to 28 a month. Can't complain.

mekes

£255 a month as of last month for a 2 bedroom apartment. Our setup is almost entirely electric. Just the kitchen oven is gas.

Jayjayhd34

£65-£70 a month with octupus energy living in studio apartment.

Ask for smart meter and you might be able work what's using all your electric.

zeorhymer

It changes through the year (obviously.) During winter it's around $120 and around summer it's closer to $60. Edit: I live in a studio without air conditioning.

Last edited:

Fbh

We are 2 people in a small 2 bedroom house.
It's usually like $30 or $40. But we only use electricity for the lights, fridge, kitchen appliances, charging up stuff and entertainment (TV, console, etc).
Water heating and cooking is done with natural gas, it doesn't get hot enough in the summer to need an AC, and in winter we heat with a mix of a wood and a small kerosene stove

I make money every electricity bill in summer. Costs about $150 every 3 months in winter.

We have 21 solar panels for a large family house and home office.

Will be replacing our second car with a Tesla next year, just waiting on the new low end model as it's just our local run around car.

nush

Gold Member
End off last month, I put in £75 electric and it's run out today whilst I was in the shower and I had to pop on the emergency.

The electric on those pre-paid meters is more expensive, you'll save money by switching to a normal meter.

I'll also take a guess that your one bed flat is a home conversion, there could be some shenanigans that someone is tapping your electric either intentionally or by whatever cowboy wired the place up. Switch off absolutely everything electric in your home and see if the meter moves/countsdown.

Dr.D00p

£60 pm for combined Electric & Gas.

..and I'm currently ~£120 in credit with my supplier E-On, although I expect that to get used up pretty quickly with the current price increases over the coming months.

My house (which i’m moving out of next month) is all electric with no gas so my bill was $395 this month. I don’t have a payment plan for the winter so paying it off at once is pretty high.

Ionian

The electric on those pre-paid meters is more expensive, you'll save money by switching to a normal meter.

I'll also take a guess that your one bed flat is a home conversion, there could be some shenanigans that someone is tapping your electric either intentionally or by whatever cowboy wired the place up. Switch off absolutely everything electric in your home and see if the meter moves/countsdown.

Always laugh at my Fathers story. The electricity was going mental for a flat he let, this is back in the days of coin meters (they were being vandalized) so he narrowed it down and entered the flat to try and figure out what was happening. They had rewired the flat to the mains.

When he was looking he heard a noise from the wardrobe, so went over and opened it. Some naked dude that was not the tenant smiled and said "Hello!". My Father hit the damn roof. Dude left naked I'd imagine, he only told me about seeing him.

Flat beside that one and decades later, had a weird smell coming out. Some dude was running a takeaway with jars of sauce and boil in the bag rice as an Indian takeaway. My bro was tasked on him and he quickly left (tenant). Him and all his pals he had living with him in a bedsit. Funny thing is he got orders and he just heated shit from a jar. Korma ala Tesco. People bought it, genius but a massive no. He never had rent. Funny that. Place had to be painted so many times to remove the smell, had a little factory going on.

drotahorror

Everything is electric where I live, no gas. Usually bill is around $90-100. Last month was $130 (my highest bill I've ever had)...and I just checked to see if my new month's electric bill is out and it is....$172. Wtf.

nkarafo

In Greece i live like a caveman, i don't cook, i don't use heat and most of the house is in complete darkness but i still pay at least 100 euros/month.

And most of that has nothing to do with how much electricity i consume either. There are various unrelated taxes, even some for a few state TV channels we never watch. So even if i used zero power i would still pay a hefty sum for the power bill.

Capitan Todd

Neo Member
Around 25 euro per month for electricity. And around 35 euro per month for gas (Netherlands, 2 adults and a baby in an apartment). Although it will probably be double that amount once I need a new contract later this year and I'm moving to my new bigger house..

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
£63 a month average according to the last 4 months. That's via Bulb.

It's gone down because my partner is now back in the office 4 days a week, I'm at home 4 days a week running a PC setup. TV is usually on most of an evening. No electric heating, that's a wallet killer. Our gas bills are always higher for gas central heating and the oven hobs.

LMAO 3 days later I get this

ufCz45C.png

Get fucked me, I guess.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i put £100 in my electricity well over a month ago. probably about a month and a half ago. this morning i had £21 left in it. put another £20 in it after work today.

but i did get an email saying it was going up. i don't know how they work it out buy they estimate i'm paying ~£670/year now and it's going up to about £1,000. looking forward to see what my gas goes up to. this fucking sucks. rent, council tax, internet, etc is all going up. shopping is more expensive too. fucking wages aren't keeping up with it. things are only gonna get worse in october especially with this war shit with Russia.

Last edited:
3400kr / 320€ / $360 for the coldest winter month this year.
Geothermalheating and household electricity, quite big house.
Sauna ~7 kWh at least couple times a week for few hours at a time.

poodaddy

Gold Member
200 a month and I'm in a giant house in Maine, yet everyone here bitches about the price of power. I think it's cheap as shit compared to when I was in Washington.

Last edited:
Top Bottom