• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you care about achievements/trophies in games?

Hey Blinkin

I think they're neat when they pop up organically, but I've never chased them and I never will. It would feel too much like a chore to me.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I never liked the ps trophy system, but I was a gamerscore whore when I played xbox.

I forced myself into completing shitty games I bought for getting most of the score.

Was kind of a way to force complete the shit I paid for, so looking back not the worst thing to have happened.

I know it was a mental state of mind, but I feel I enjoy games more on pc. I know there's achievements on steam, and they are worthless everywhere, but not getting a gamer score makes me not care for them for some reason.

nkarafo

0%.

Also, remember when Dark Souls on PC migrated from Games for Windows to STEAM? I had already played 80+ hours but STEAM only kept the hour played but couldn't know the achievements. So now if someone looks at my Dark Souls entry, it looks like i was playing for 80 hours but the only thing i did was to light a bonfire (i only played a few minutes to test the game on STEAM and see how it runs).

I wish i could just remove the achievements system from my profile entirely, not just disable the annoying little popups every time you do one and takes you out of the game.

I don't have an issue with in-game, native "achievements" though. Like how Resident Evil 8 has it's own "challenges" that also reward you with in-game currency when you do them that you can spend in the in-game shop to buy bonus things. (They are NOT microtransactions but more like those Mortal Kombat games crypts). These are tailor-made for the game and they have a use, unlike the account based achievements that are completely worthless other then bragging rights.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Ive never once tried specifically to get a trophy.

Sometimes I'll check to see what I did to earn one, but I ultimately don't care about them.

I'm fine with them being there for those that like this sort of thing.

Haggard

Banned
Zero.
Doing anything that's not fun for some digital medal is just retarded imho.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I like the mechanic, it gives me a sense of achievement in the game and can enhance the experience, but I'm not going out of my way to get them, specially because game developers don't value my time and try to waste it in fetch quests and other BS. I loved to get Platinum on God of War, Dante's Inferno and a few others, and that's because they were very reasonable with it, you can get a Platinum just playing the game once or twice.

I enjoy going after platinum trophies. I don't bother 100%ing games that have DLC trophies, because I know the next DLC will just negate my 100% anyway.

If a game doesn't have a platinum, I just ignore the trophies. For the same reason, I completely ignore Xbox achievements as well.

Even if a game is free or cheaper on Switch or Xbox, I'll often get the PlayStation version just for trophies, but only if the list seems like it'd be fun and not a meaningless grind or impossibly difficult.

Mister D

We lost cheat codes to DLC. Achievements are just filling the void.
Partly right. I remember games on Xbox 360 disabling achievements if cheats were used. Achievement whores complained and they just stopped putting cool cheats in and just focused on more wacky achievements instead.

don't give a shit about them whatsoever. i like when they pop up cause it's kinda interesting to see that i've done something of note but otherwise they add zero to the experience of the game.

i keep seeing people obsess over them and sometimes will factor them into whether or not they buy a game (lmfao). imagine buying a game only because the achievements/trophies met whatever stupid expectations you have.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go out of my way to unlock every achievement in every video game that I own, but sometimes I will spend some extra time to try and unlock at least one or two rare achievements if the process of getting them will be interesting enough.

Topher

Gold Member
don't give a shit about them whatsoever. i like when they pop up cause it's kinda interesting to see that i've done something of note but otherwise they add zero to the experience of the game.

i keep seeing people obsess over them and sometimes will factor them into whether or not they buy a game (lmfao). imagine buying a game only because the achievements/trophies met whatever stupid expectations you have.

Imagine judging others for enjoying an aspect of a game that you don't particularly enjoy.

most useless shit ever added to gaming

Good thing it is entirely optional, huh?

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I don't care about them whatsoever, and I think it's weird that people do. I suppose it would make sense if someone had no money and literally had nothing else to play, but when most people have huge backlogs it's pretty baffling.

But each to their own, I suppose.

Tschumi

Put it this way.

I like the chime and banner that pops up.

However, I don't know where to find the most of achievements, and I've no interest in finding it.

Buggy Loop

Ok, which one of you is this guy with all these achievements?

miz3t6emwxc81.jpg

Look how happy it makes him

Rayderism

Generally, I don't care about trophies, except when Sony Rewards was giving points for them, but they stopped that a few years ago, so they went back to being meaningless to me.

BigBooper

I was thinking about 100% Biomutant, but about a quarter of them are so grindy.

That's the way it usually goes for me. If it requires grinding unfun things, I don't end up doing them. I will go for some along the way that if it doesn't mess up how I want to play, generally.

scalman

Im old school gamer from times when it was just single player games. Still play all the same. Will do same allways. Dont care, never will same as for online mp games.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
As a da and now casual gamer who plays less and less I give precisely zero fucks about that shit, I'm happy I get enough time to level up ffs.. never did care and neither does my son although TBF all he plays is Fortnite and Spiderman and even the he didn't bother going after achievements

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I think they are okay and when they are implemented well I enjoy trying to unlock them. I do have platinums for the games I really enjoyed. In those cases, I want to keep playing anyway so it's just another objective overall.

I will say between achievements and trophies, I think trophies is a better implementation. Gamerscore is just a nebulous number and unless you care enough to dig doesn't really tell you much. With trophies you can tell a lot about a player quickly. Do they just have a lot of random trophies or do they focus in on getting platinums? It's hard for me to care about achievements on Xbox since I've been locked out and been forced to create several new accounts over the years. This was due to a variety of reasons, but I've seemed to been able to avoid with every other gaming platform somehow.

I also like the steam implementation where you can set up a showcase of items you want people to see on your profile as well as the meta game of getting badges and cards when that's implemented.

I actually dislike the meta gaming system set up in Xbox because it actively turns advertising and using their products into a "challenge", but the idea of having something tangible like credits to put towards gift cards is great. Imagine if Microsoft collapsed those points and your gamerscore so you could spend achievements on extending your subscription or discounts in the store.

One other thing that I enjoy with trophies and Xbox achievements is seeing the rarity of any as interesting trivia. For instance I started playing FF7Remake and the first trophy I got was for winning a battle which unlocked the very first time you swing Cloud's sword and kill the first guard. Only 86% of players unlocked the trophy so that means 14% of the people who installed and turned the game on didn't even make it to gameplay before turning it off, lol.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
0. not interested it them at all. they don't add anything to the experience for me. they are annoying little pop ups distracting me from the game.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Xbox rewards is annoying when you have to unlock 3 achievements for a certain weeks activity. I’m on a 56 week streak cannot stop now 😂

I dont care at all and blocked all notifications about trophies and achievements. I want to play the games aand not some weird meta game about some trophies telling me what to do.

sephiroth7x

I don't chase the trophies in any way - but what I do is have a look at the list before I play and see what there are trophies for.

The reason I do this is because it opens up things that I probably didn't consider trying before.

RAÏSanÏa

The surprise appearance of unexpected ones is fun. When replaying Mass Effect 1 after many years before the LE I got the completionist achievement. I was charmed.

dDoc

If trophies are well implemented they add an extra layer of fun for me. Like a game within a game.

I attempt to Platinum/100% every game I reasonably can and if not, get as close as possible. I have a 4 year streak going where I have unlocked at least a single trophy everyday without a single miss--including some lengthy hospital stays thanks to my Vita. On October 9th, 2019, I made my surgeon wait for me as I wanted to unlock a trophy for that day before my surgery in case I was too out of it afterwards or forgot due to the anesthesia.

In short, I care about trophies entirely too much.

nikolino840

I attempt to Platinum/100% every game I reasonably can and if not, get as close as possible. I have a 4 year streak going where I have unlocked at least a single trophy everyday without a single miss--including some lengthy hospital stays thanks to my Vita. On October 9th, 2019, I made my surgeon wait for me as I wanted to unlock a trophy for that day before my surgery in case I was too out of it afterwards or forgot due to the anesthesia.

In short, I care about trophies entirely too much.
How can you menage all your backlog? For some games you Need grinding and farming for months 😂 and some games like Yakuza are loooong 😅

Belthazar

I like them, especially with the way Sony does it. Having a platinum for 100% is truly game changing for an achievement system, as with Xbox's achievements it really doesn't matter to your stats if you get 1000 points in a game, 500 each in 2 or even 100 each in 10 different games. With platinums it's very clear at a glance how many games you actually completed.

I would never play a game I don't like for a platinum though.

Quezacolt

Don't care at all. I dont think they add anything to games, and honestly, some of them might actually take the fun away from games.

I think i only have 2 games that i got platinum, and i only got that because i loved those games too much and wanted to do/see all, not because i wanted a dumb trophy that gives me no reward at all.

Top Bottom